Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163817 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

anonymous

Franklin, PA

#64680 Dec 11, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>As an aside, did you know that the word "slue" in that context (also spelled "slew") is straight Irish Gaelic?
"Slúa" - a crowd or large group...
Now back to our scheduled program.
Speak much Gaelic, or just the provocative kind?*

*Says the long time Pogues fan!

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#64681 Dec 11, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
AND no one in the history of mankind and the universe has been able to PROVE the existence of God...or any god.
However facts of science may be used in dissembling the lies about religion. We CAN and HAVE disproven much of the Bible...what does that say about the credibility of the religion itself???
If religion are lies, they would have been in the minority or in extinction, but the reverse were the case. Just sit upon your first degree lies.
Next lies from you, Bill.

Level 2

Location hidden

#64682 Dec 11, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a sec. I thought you were claiming to be one of the immortals -- confidentially expecting resurrection due to your faith in Jesus, where as the rest of us faithless ephemerals were doomed, and you were lording it over us.
Hey, I am getting close to checking out of this forum. Maybe a couple more posts to go. Gotta get my life back. It has been fun, but folks don't take things so hard, and be nice. Merry Christmas all!
Before running away. GIVE your life to Jesus christ. Accept him as your lord and saviour. All humans are mortals, except God and the spirits. Compliments of the season.

Level 2

Location hidden

#64683 Dec 11, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps not. Then again, scientists haven't tried to disprove God (many scientists are quite religious, mind you).
But.
Science CAN provide evidence that the "Creation" account given in Genesis is incorrect, that the universe, earth, and life itself did not form under in the method(s) and time scales described in the Bible.
Here you go. And yet those Christian scientist are still upholding what is false. Just keep quiet and face reality. God is real and no one can deny that, except liars under the guise of science.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64684 Dec 11, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I was always kinda partial to Matthew 4:8 myself.
Corinthians fan here!!

Level 2

Location hidden

#64685 Dec 11, 2012
Jesus Diablo wrote:
<quoted text>
Science doesn't set out nor is interested in proving or disproving the existence of God. It's purpose if far more limited, it is limited to facts. It attempts to prove/disprove them through repeatable experiments that support/don't support the previous result. It's rational. Here's a simple science experiment to illustrate: 1+1=2. Now you try it. See? Same result. There's no opinion or beliefs involved.
On the other hand, religion is not fact based. It is, by it's own admission, a belief system (it's silly to say "I believe" 1+1 is 2 because it's a proven fact that it is 2). Beliefs are not, by definition, either right or wrong (that would make them a fact). Beliefs are either held or not (it's equally silly to say that God in fact exists because a belief of such an existence is not subject to independent verification). You can only legitimately question whether or not the individual actually believes (if one does, fine; as a belief it's neither right nor wrong)or not (if one does not, fine; as a belief it's neither right nor wrong). Or the strength of his/her belief. As such, it is, by definition, irrational.
The problem is using rationality to explain the irrational and vice-versa (like trying to squeeze a square peg in a round hole). Otherwise called a "categorical mistake."
So does God exist? Well of course not.
Blah blah blah!
Can you use scientific experiments to verify spirits, love, hatred or imagination? no.
Because science can only verify physical things or objects.
So, that does not mean that God does not exist.
GOD is real.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64686 Dec 11, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you're still arguing against a straw-man.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...
<quoted text>
I see. So you are claiming to share NO ERV markers at all with either of your parents? Really? Are you claiming that NO OTHER organism shares them with any others either? Really?
<quoted text>
It's called orthology.
What's the "scientific theory" of creationism again?
I'll wait. I might look like ZZ-Top by the time we get it but I'll wait.
Hey Dude-

ZZ Top LIKES shopping at the Dolluh Store. I SAW them doing it lol.

ALL about the savings!!:-)
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64687 Dec 11, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Big deal, no-one can disprove the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Invisible Pink Unicorn.
So why do people even WASTE time on SUCH stupidity.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64688 Dec 11, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
AND no one in the history of mankind and the universe has been able to PROVE the existence of God...or any god.
However facts of science may be used in dissembling the lies about religion. We CAN and HAVE disproven much of the Bible...what does that say about the credibility of the religion itself???
And we have also been able to PROVE, much of what took place in the Bible as TRUTHS, because of SCIENCE.

Two way street there kiddo-sorry.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64689 Dec 11, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps not. Then again, scientists haven't tried to disprove God (many scientists are quite religious, mind you).
But.
Science CAN provide evidence that the "Creation" account given in Genesis is incorrect, that the universe, earth, and life itself did not form under in the method(s) and time scales described in the Bible.
If read absolutely verbatim and "literally" maybe.

But who in their right mind does that kind of junk anyway.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64690 Dec 11, 2012
Jesus Diablo wrote:
<quoted text>
Science doesn't set out nor is interested in proving or disproving the existence of God. It's purpose if far more limited, it is limited to facts. It attempts to prove/disprove them through repeatable experiments that support/don't support the previous result. It's rational. Here's a simple science experiment to illustrate: 1+1=2. Now you try it. See? Same result. There's no opinion or beliefs involved.
On the other hand, religion is not fact based. It is, by it's own admission, a belief system (it's silly to say "I believe" 1+1 is 2 because it's a proven fact that it is 2). Beliefs are not, by definition, either right or wrong (that would make them a fact). Beliefs are either held or not (it's equally silly to say that God in fact exists because a belief of such an existence is not subject to independent verification). You can only legitimately question whether or not the individual actually believes (if one does, fine; as a belief it's neither right nor wrong)or not (if one does not, fine; as a belief it's neither right nor wrong). Or the strength of his/her belief. As such, it is, by definition, irrational.
The problem is using rationality to explain the irrational and vice-versa (like trying to squeeze a square peg in a round hole). Otherwise called a "categorical mistake."
So does God exist? Well of course not.
Does wisdom exist?

Of course it does--FAR more in others, than in some.

WTH are nominating lemming herd pack bootlicking, fame seeking bobbleheads, complaining thirty years behind the times about the cost of (LONG TIME Available to those who only have had to seek such out) for ANYTHING of the year, when we have actual INTELLIGENT, caring, hard working women contributing in SOOO much more worthwhile ways to society?

Anyone, Bueller, Fenris..Buckwheat...

Level 2

Location hidden

#64691 Dec 11, 2012
reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? What?
You obviously didn't bother to try out for your high school debate team and/or you very conveniently slept with your college LOG101 professor.
This is spiritual matters. Even my professor of psychology, etc, would never understand, except he is Godly.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64692 Dec 11, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that a patriarchy is your ideal "heaven"? Mmmmm, not my cup of tea.
No, I am saying it's GOOD when parents take care of their FAMILIES, one hundred percently, first and foremost!!!

My "ideal" however, is a flipping ...mmm...NONE of your business!!
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64693 Dec 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> This is spiritual matters. Even my professor of psychology, etc, would never understand, except he is Godly.
Did you like my picture/bio, for MY vote of someone of the year?
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64694 Dec 11, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a genderized kind of abstraction!
I can say why you might interpret it that way (even if I didn't mean to type it that way lol)

Level 2

Location hidden

#64695 Dec 11, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Now who can argue with logic like THAT?
[/SARCASM]
But we all know that life will always move on, it always goes on with time. Since that applies, it shows that a creator is at work. You will never understand that.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64696 Dec 11, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
L. Ron Hubbard's favorite cynical con? I can't tell if you're trolling so I'll step away!
THE most BORING blahblahblah book I've ever forced myself to read, was written by L Ron Hubbard.

I didn't like it, it lacked humane, goodly SUBSTANCE.

Level 2

Location hidden

#64697 Dec 11, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you deny that I already did that?
<quoted text>
Your prowess can not change what or who God truly is.
Keep barking!!!

Level 2

Location hidden

#64698 Dec 11, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
First time I heard that God's major objective was to see us killed.
<quoted text>
No. Just to prove a point to us, because of our unbelief that he is the almighty and the creator.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64699 Dec 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> But we all know that life will always move on, it always goes on with time. Since that applies, it shows that a creator is at work. You will never understand that.
Cultural Dictionary

To err is human, to forgive divine definition

All people commit sins and make mistakes. God forgives them, and people are acting in a godlike (divine) way when they forgive. This saying is from “An Essay on Criticism,” by Alexander Pope.

Wonder where Pope coined the phrase from...hmmm.....

Pope suffered for being a Catholic among Anglicans, and an independent writer living in a time when writing was not considered viable as a self-sustaining career. Despite these challenges, Pope is considered by critics to be one of the greatest poets of the eighteenth century...

Early life

Alexander Pope was born in the City of London to Alexander, Sr., a linen merchant, and Edith Pope, who were both Roman Catholic. Pope was educated mostly at home, in part due to laws protecting the status of the established Church of England, which banned Catholics from teaching. Pope was taught to read by his aunt and then sent to two Catholic schools, at Twyford and at Hyde Park Corner. Catholic schools, while illegal, were tolerated in some areas.

From early childhood, Pope suffered numerous health problems, including Pott's disease (a form of tuberculosis affecting the spine), which deformed his body and stunted his growth—no doubt helping to end his life at the relatively young age of 56 in 1744. His height never exceeded 1.37 meters (4 feet 6 inches).

In 1700, his family was forced to move to a small estate in Binfield, Berkshire due to strong anti-Catholic sentiment and a statute preventing Catholics from living within 10 miles (16 km) of either London or Westminster. Pope would later describe the countryside around the house in his poem Windsor Forest.

With his formal education now at an end, Pope began an extensive period of reading. As he later remembered: "In a few years I had dipped into a great number of the English, French, Italian, Latin, and Greek poets. This I did without any design but that of pleasing myself, and got the languages by hunting after the stories...rather than read the books to get the languages." His favourite author was Homer, whom he had first read at age eight in the English translation by John Ogilby. Pope was already writing verse: he claimed he wrote one poem, Ode to Solitude, at the age of twelve.

We COULD assume...given the background references...but...

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Commander-in-Chief 9 min Sucks 2
News Cremains wash up on Scotland shoreline and you ... 10 min Prosperity Fundie... 6
News A head scratcher: 9 brains found next to train ... 26 min RingoStarr 8
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 37 min _FLATLINE-------- 3,491
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 38 min _FLATLINE-------- 79,134
In honor of ms Sweeter (Jul '14) 40 min Wolftracks 173
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 42 min _FLATLINE-------- 8,074
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 43 min RCAF 40,683
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Poop 162,835
*Sad music/sad themes Thread* 2 hr Wolftracks 175
Poll Middle East Solutions 4 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 26
More from around the web