Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 164717 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#64027 Dec 8, 2012
The people of the time of Nimrod could have been familar with earth cycles and alternating ocean flow patterns which are identifiable through the year. There is one current that flows from China to Mexico and completes a cycle in about 3 years to my knowledge. A plastic ship made of recycled bottles (The Plastiki) was made to follow ocean currents and the findings may prove how debri can continue to move around the ocean by being carried along with the currents.
Linda the lonely widow

Plainfield, IL

#64028 Dec 8, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
The people of the time of Nimrod could have been familar with earth cycles and alternating ocean flow patterns which are identifiable through the year. There is one current that flows from China to Mexico and completes a cycle in about 3 years to my knowledge. A plastic ship made of recycled bottles (The Plastiki) was made to follow ocean currents and the findings may prove how debri can continue to move around the ocean by being carried along with the currents.
Dumbass

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#64029 Dec 8, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because how God does something isn't understood does not make it magic.
300 years ago air conditioning would have seemed like magic.
100 years ago man on the moon would have been science fiction and magic
60 years ago cell phones would have been impossible.
Just because we don't understand how it is done doesn't mean we won't ever.
You say:
"Just because we don't understand how it is done doesn't mean we won't ever."

Exactly....Just because we don't yet know (for sure) how the universe began doesn't mean we never will.

Just because we don't yet know how life began 3.5 billion years ago doesn't mean we never will.

And all the things you mention could be explainable even 500 years ago to someone who wasn't subscribing to the Goddidit line and understood logic.

WE are just fairly recently beginning to understand that we ARE descended along the great ape line of hominids and were not purpose made 6,000 years ago by a floaty thing.

After finding the first bones it took us less than a hundred years to prove the lineage.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#64031 Dec 8, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Do you *really* think Nimrods contemporaries understood alternating ocean flow patterns?? Hell, they didn't even understand 'Germ Theory'

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#64032 Dec 8, 2012
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Arch has not gained any bird traits nor loose any dino traits, that appears to be what you refuse to suck up.
Arch has a wishbone just like a theropod, feathers like a theropod, three digits like a theropod, has a moveable thighbone like a dinosaur and a beak like a dino and a plethora of other species.
Arch does not have a reversed hallux like a bird, hollow bones like a bird, a moveable thighbone like a bird, a wishbone like a modern bird, nor a beak like a modern bird.
So I will ask again seeing as you evos have bombed out with every try,eg hollow bones what traits are intermedicate or a mix that suggests arch is anything more than a variety of dinosaur?
Evos are you still wiping egg off their faces around their hollow boned dinosaurs?
It has feathers like a bird, wings like a bird, it can fly (though not as good as a bird.
If it had all the features of a modern bird it would be a bird not a transitional species!

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#64033 Dec 8, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
I have seen evidence that ocean water was once over the hills of Kentucky. The man that showed it to me is a world renowned agate expert, but what he found wasn't an agate and it could only have came from the ocean.
You will find that ocean water at one time or another has covered many parts of the Earth. Over millions of years the continents have moved and stuck up and/or plowed deep. I now live in an area that was covered by water about 1.5 billion years ago and you can still find occasional artifacts bearing witness to this.

I used to live in the Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio area and the whole area was covered in fossils from the Ordovician period nearly 500 million years ago.

I hear there are ocean artifact on Mt. Everest. We do know that that mountain was once underwater...actually was part/neighbor of Africa at one point...millions and millions of years ago
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#64034 Dec 8, 2012
Linda the lonely widow wrote:
<quoted text>Dumbass
Smartaleck

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#64035 Dec 8, 2012
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
"Prof. Beer was part of the team on board "Mediterranean Explorer" that recently headed to the Black Sea off the coast of Turkey, the site where historians believe the great biblical flood occurred. EcoOcean and an international team believe they have found evidence to substantiate what is written in the Bible.
Says Weil, "We found that indeed a flood happened around that time. From core samples, we see that a flood broke through the natural barrier separating the Mediterranean Sea and the freshwater Black Sea, bringing with it seashells that only grow in a marine environment. There was no doubt that it was a fast flood -- one that covered an expanse four times the size of Israel. It might not have been Noah, as it is written in the Bible, but we believe people in that region had to build boats in order to save their animals from drowning. We think that the ones who survived were fishermen -- they already had the boats."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/...
And this link to some info from a religious organization.
http://www.ucg.org/christian-living/evidence-...
Geology also has its problems and terms like 'reworking' to explain why fossils are where they should not be and visa versa.
I don't think any evidence against a global flood is any more robust than any evidence for one.
first, many ancient civilizations have stories of great floods. The Epic of Gilgamesh is from the first known writing in history and has a great flood in it. which only lends evidence that the bible plagiarized stories from older civilizations. Some people believe there was land between England and France and that a large Earthquake caused a tsunami, flooding the land...

fossils locations are easily explained when one considers plate tectonics...you realize that at one point there was one big super continent called Pangaea

BTW the flood you are talking about predates you biblical account

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outburst_flood
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#64036 Dec 8, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You will find that ocean water at one time or another has covered many parts of the Earth. Over millions of years the continents have moved and stuck up and/or plowed deep. I now live in an area that was covered by water about 1.5 billion years ago and you can still find occasional artifacts bearing witness to this.
I used to live in the Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio area and the whole area was covered in fossils from the Ordovician period nearly 500 million years ago.
I hear there are ocean artifact on Mt. Everest. We do know that that mountain was once underwater...actually was part/neighbor of Africa at one point...millions and millions of years ago
Thank you, for the honest reply. I'm not here to contest currant understanding of timelines, YET.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#64037 Dec 8, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you *really* think Nimrods contemporaries understood alternating ocean flow patterns?? Hell, they didn't even understand 'Germ Theory'
Yes, I believe they were the first pyramid builders which were aligned with celestial cycles as well.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#64038 Dec 8, 2012
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
first, many ancient civilizations have stories of great floods. The Epic of Gilgamesh is from the first known writing in history and has a great flood in it. which only lends evidence that the bible plagiarized stories from older civilizations. Some people believe there was land between England and France and that a large Earthquake caused a tsunami, flooding the land...
fossils locations are easily explained when one considers plate tectonics...you realize that at one point there was one big super continent called Pangaea
BTW the flood you are talking about predates you biblical account
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outburst_flood
Maz is from the anything but evolution crowd. She often uses mutually disagreeing sources, and even disagrees with her own sources quite often. As long as it seems to disagree with evolution they are okay with her. She has no real points to make. Her points fall apart when they are examined.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#64039 Dec 8, 2012
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
So how does the genome know what is or is not a beneficial mutation?
?!!!
It doesn't.
If it helps the individual survive then it will be passed on to next generation. If not it dies with the individual.
MazHere wrote:
"When the bacteria were moved onto a more fit background the mutations were less needed and so selection slowed down (It didn't stop).
“These three alleles all reduced morphological defects caused by expression of the foreign pathway.”
Three of the mutations reduced defects so increasing fitness of the bacteria."
I did not say the research said that adaptation would stop. I said that the cost is more than the benefits.
That's a presumption on your part.
If the cost is greater than the benefit then those mutations wouldn't have survived.
MazHere wrote:
So a REDUCTION in defects is now what has happend for billions of years. A reduction is not sufficient because over 4 billion years the ever accumulating effects of deleterious mutations and compounded epigentic effects should have grinded the process of adaptation to at least a halt.
No because natural selection (what survives breeds) clears them out.
Species adapt to an environment. If the environment doesn't change then once fully adapted the species won't change.
MazHere wrote:
The process would have to clean out all 'the badies', not just reduce them, for the 4 billion year thing to work?
But there's always new ones. Evolution never stops.
MazHere wrote:
The other thing again is that evos could not accept their own initial data. They had to mess around with more biased algorithmic magic, another landscape, to make it fit in with TOE.
Like you understand the data?
MazHere wrote:
I still maintain the data supports a creationist paradigm and rhetoric supports TOE.
Your opinion is irrelevant.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#64040 Dec 8, 2012
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
"Prof. Beer was part of the team on board "Mediterranean Explorer" that recently headed to the Black Sea off the coast of Turkey, the site where historians believe the great biblical flood occurred. EcoOcean and an international team believe they have found evidence to substantiate what is written in the Bible.
Says Weil, "We found that indeed a flood happened around that time. From core samples, we see that a flood broke through the natural barrier separating the Mediterranean Sea and the freshwater Black Sea, bringing with it seashells that only grow in a marine environment. There was no doubt that it was a fast flood -- one that covered an expanse four times the size of Israel. It might not have been Noah, as it is written in the Bible, but we believe people in that region had to build boats in order to save their animals from drowning. We think that the ones who survived were fishermen -- they already had the boats."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/...
And this link to some info from a religious organization.
http://www.ucg.org/christian-living/evidence-...
Geology also has its problems and terms like 'reworking' to explain why fossils are where they should not be and visa versa.
I don't think any evidence against a global flood is any more robust than any evidence for one.

The references given, as always, fail to support your assertions.

They actually point to a regional flood with known limits to the area flooded.

So if this is your flood reference it only proves the bible to be lying when it claims to involve the whole world.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#64042 Dec 8, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
Try again at the point and come back when your stupid isn't showing.
You seem pretty touchy about your silly beliefs.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#64043 Dec 8, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Regarding the Mayan calendar, I think it goes back to a time just after the flood. I believe there were giants on earth in the days before the flood and they knew about earth cycles, their science was accurate and they were renown men who lived to be hundreds of years of age. Noah had a son Ham who had a son Cush who begat Nimrod and I believe he spread his kingdom throughout the world. I believe the altar that Noah built just after the flood remained a part of Nimrods kingdom and misguided religious practices in the form of pyramids. The calander was accurate and Nimrod spread his religion and science which reached Mexico by ocean current travel from China and on through South America by the chosen priest. We all know that they said they were trying to make a name for themselves lest they would be scattered upon the face of the whole earth (GEN 11) and the LORD did scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
You seem to believe a lot of nonsense. I guess you choose whatever has the least amount of evidence and logical sense.

“I be me, and you are...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#64044 Dec 8, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving - Led Zeppelin
There's an intense feeling when I think of Berlin Kreuzberg...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#64045 Dec 8, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
It is easy to look at some else's life or into some story and say what you would have done. However it is much more difficult to look at our own lives sometimes and not just see our problems but also to find the solution.
That is why objective scientific research is so important today, and why people who try to slow it's progress are harming the species. But I also suspect that's why they want to slow it, because scientific data holds up mirrors that can show us everything about ourselves, every little detail. As a species, we have not proven to be the most intelligent at all on this planet. One day I hope we do, but we need something new to try because religious nonsense has obviously not been working.

“I be me, and you are...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#64046 Dec 8, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to believe a lot of nonsense. I guess you choose whatever has the least amount of evidence and logical sense.
It's called backtracking and needed at times...

Knowledge can't be overrun there's always a waiting period...:)Tense past times...

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

#64047 Dec 8, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>You say:
"Just because we don't understand how it is done doesn't mean we won't ever."

Exactly....Just because we don't yet know (for sure) how the universe began doesn't mean we never will.

Just because we don't yet know how life began 3.5 billion years ago doesn't mean we never will.

And all the things you mention could be explainable even 500 years ago to someone who wasn't subscribing to the Goddidit line and understood logic.

WE are just fairly recently beginning to understand that we ARE descended along the great ape line of hominids and were not purpose made 6,000 years ago by a floaty thing.

After finding the first bones it took us less than a hundred years to prove the lineage.
All great points that should end in "we think" no matter what you think you know you maybe able to remove most uncertainty but you will never know it all. In the quest for certainty only an idiot claims to know it all and has history has shown us even the "small stuff" can change I'm positive to I'm not sure.

“Old Faces!”

Level 3

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#64048 Dec 8, 2012
We are what we are.God versus evolution!Does God exist?Where is the Devil?The fallen son.Does he exist?Maybe God and the Devil are within us all!And now 21/12/12 the end of the world,or only the beginning of a new chapter?Or maybe nothing at all."I think therefore i am".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our next "Lady" President 5 min Not so fast there... 6
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 9 min TALLYHO 8541 40,815
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 10 min Mechanic 4,639
Happy Birthday, El. 11 min eleanorigby 4
News 'John Wayne Day' in Texas Honors Actor's 108th ... 11 min TALLYHO 8541 107
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 13 min Jennifer Renee 11,460
Add a Word, Drop a Panty game 13 min andet1987 356
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 55 min beatlesinafog 719
What Could Be Hot? 1 hr DILF 228
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr I Am No One_ 163,242