Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 2,980)

Showing posts 59,581 - 59,600 of111,841
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Makesure100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get your conscience? The ability to choose? You give credit to an unknown theory or purpose. Try to fathom a rolex watch emerging from stone dust to exactness of time. You are a fool. It's inexcusable to deny creation.
Even if one accepted the silliness of that long-debunked argument - how do you know you're worshipping the right watchmaker?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, all corn is genetically engineered, so are all bananas, all cattle, and a lot of other stuff that would not exist if we hadn't engineered it. I don't remember the whole list off hand, but it's not a short one.
Yes I know. They inject those hormones in animals.

Ever heard of Spider-Goat?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if this made since or not
Evolution is fact.......
But their is no way to know how when why the reactions will take place how it will react or even if it will change anything?
Which would make evolution more a necessity to survive than a matter of time?
Not with 100% certainty, but that's simply due to our limited understanding of the processes in the entire universe, not evolution, we understand that well enough that if we knew all the influences outside of it, we'd be able to predict future phylogeny the way we have predicted the creation of future atomic elements, or how we predict the orbit of the moon, things like that. Not that they're connected, but that there are a lot of tiny influences we just don't have algorithms to help us map yet.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright but how does it come to be that 2 of a compatible species would have come to be at the same time?(What are the odds really?)
The changes within any given generation are infinitesimal - but given enough generations, environmental pressure, separation of groups, etc., one does eventually wind up with a different species. This resultant species will be unable to breed with the original, which may still survive.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Giraffes are browsers, not grazers. They subsist almost exclusively on the leaves of the acacia tree. The extra height lets 'em reach food that other browsers can't.
Where did you get the idea that they ate grass?
You've never seen them eat grass? not only that, they also drink water.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Odds do not describe what happens at all. You are still thinking like a creatard, stop that and you will actually have time to learn instead of asking random stupid questions on a forum full of random people.
Gently, Kit. I think he may actually be trying to learn.

That'd make him honest - just maybe a bit misled.

Since: Sep 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Not with 100% certainty, but that's simply due to our limited understanding of the processes in the entire universe, not evolution, we understand that well enough that if we knew all the influences outside of it, we'd be able to predict future phylogeny the way we have predicted the creation of future atomic elements, or how we predict the orbit of the moon, things like that. Not that they're connected, but that there are a lot of tiny influences we just don't have algorithms to help us map yet.
Would human DNA evolve slower due to our technology and our ability to change our environment since the day man made fire we have changed the world to suite us?

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I always thought of thinking in odds and statistics was more a mathematical thing.
When the numbers get big enough (and in bio they can get HUGE), all science is subject to math.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You've never seen them eat grass? not only that, they also drink water.
No, I've never seen them graze.
Of course they drink water - and an awkward process it is.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Would human DNA evolve slower due to our technology and our ability to change our environment since the day man made fire we have changed the world to suite us?
Do you really believe we will evolve into another species millions of years from now? The only thing that would make that possible is through the use of technology. And it can happen in our lifetime if we allow it.

Level 1

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Even if one accepted the silliness of that long-debunked argument - how do you know you're worshipping the right watchmaker?
Search. Easily if you are teachable, humble.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no, it seems like it is for the same reason watching birds evolve from dinosaurs would have you calling the birds dinosaurs still. We do have photographic evidence of some change, barely noticeable. It's a slow process, one that takes a lot of generations, that's generations not years. Human generations generally align with decades, so tens of thousands of years before you'd actually see a visible trait. But, we have seen some new physiological traits evolve in recent years, one being AIDS resistance, a very beneficial trait if it propagates, which it will because we are now under what is best described as self selection, or artificial selection. We are choosing each other based on personal preference, it's why many of our features have smoothed out actually, and why the "mixed" traits of certain genetic lines, African dark skinned to European light skinned for example, are becoming so prevalent, lots of people see the combination as beautiful, so the gene mixes are propagating as well. See, evolution isn't just mutation, it's also the mixing of the genes, and why multi-parentage became the most common form of breeding, just not binary like us because the binary system is ... well ... very flawed. Who knows what the future really holds, it's the trip there that's the fun part of it all anyway.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>Do you really believe we will evolve into another species millions of years from now? The only thing that would make that possible is through the use of technology. And it can happen in our lifetime if we allow it.
No I believe God made man from dirt like the bible says. I would like to understand evolution though why they think the way they do. If they want to know about faith and the bible and aren't just going to call me stupid when I answer they are more than welcome to ask. I do believe things adapt to environment and such so they can survive but a dinosaur giving birth to a chicken not so much. I do find the whole thing fascinating.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>No, I've never seen them graze.
Of course they drink water - and an awkward process it is.
It looks awkward to us but their necks are flexible

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
No I believe God made man from dirt like the bible says. I would like to understand evolution though why they think the way they do. If they want to know about faith and the bible and aren't just going to call me stupid when I answer they are more than welcome to ask. I do believe things adapt to environment and such so they can survive but a dinosaur giving birth to a chicken not so much. I do find the whole thing fascinating.
The problem with the bible is it is a bunch of metaphorical sense and symbolism. One should not take it literally.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no, it seems like it is for the same reason watching birds evolve from dinosaurs would have you calling the birds dinosaurs still. We do have photographic evidence of some change, barely noticeable. It's a slow process, one that takes a lot of generations, that's generations not years. Human generations generally align with decades, so tens of thousands of years before you'd actually see a visible trait. But, we have seen some new physiological traits evolve in recent years, one being AIDS resistance, a very beneficial trait if it propagates, which it will because we are now under what is best described as self selection, or artificial selection. We are choosing each other based on personal preference, it's why many of our features have smoothed out actually, and why the "mixed" traits of certain genetic lines, African dark skinned to European light skinned for example, are becoming so prevalent, lots of people see the combination as beautiful, so the gene mixes are propagating as well. See, evolution isn't just mutation, it's also the mixing of the genes, and why multi-parentage became the most common form of breeding, just not binary like us because the binary system is ... well ... very flawed. Who knows what the future really holds, it's the trip there that's the fun part of it all anyway.
I was under the impression blacks are black because the environment they live in is hot and they needed to be black to survive? Wouldn't that be a adapting?
The same for whites where they live is colder and so they have white skin and more hair.....like Robin Williams

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Makesure100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Search. Easily if you are teachable, humble.
Ah.

Gottit.

Quetzalcoatl.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>The problem with the bible is it is a bunch of metaphorical sense and symbolism. One should not take it literally.
I know these guys have been telling me that for 3 weeks now. God came to me and pulled me back together when I was in a real bad spot. I'm loyal to a fault. I follow the words of Christ love people even when they hate you and have faith.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks awkward to us but their necks are flexible
They have to spread their forelegs way apart and practically do a forward squat to reach the water.
And you've never seen 'em eating grass either.

C'mon, you made a teensy bio-blunder. Just quit digging and 'fess up.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with the bible is it is a bunch of metaphorical sense and symbolism. One should not take it literally.
Oh, good. We can chuck all that silly Genesis stuff.
Noah, too.

Wait, there goes Leviticus, too...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 59,581 - 59,600 of111,841
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••