Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 2,971)

Showing posts 59,401 - 59,420 of106,060
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Cybele wrote:
The first humans came from Atlantis, you all are wrong!
I've heard that Atlantis was in Missouri..or was that something else?:-)

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

i suppose you could be an evolutionist by faith. It seems rather silly when the science is out there for anyone to see.

I do not work on faith. I usually work on expected outcomes based upon past results. Science has an amazingly successful history, religion, not so much.

Sciences results are extremely repeatable. If something is not highly repeatable it is highly suspect. Religion is happy with the very rare successful result.

Level 9

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
So kids who's parents are addicts aren't more likely to be also?
Kids of abusive parents aren't more likely to be abusive also?
The old saying you become your parents is never true?
OK, who's side are you on buddy??..:-)
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
i suppose you could be an evolutionist by faith. It seems rather silly when the science is out there for anyone to see.
I do not work on faith. I usually work on expected outcomes based upon past results. Science has an amazingly successful history, religion, not so much.
Sciences results are extremely repeatable. If something is not highly repeatable it is highly suspect. Religion is happy with the very rare successful result.
Yeah, but I saw a televangelist on tv last night who was praying for everybody. He said if I would send him 100 dollars wrapped in faith as seed money I would get it back 1000 fold! How cool is that?!

Since: Sep 12

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>OK, who's side are you on buddy??..:-)
I'm not on any side. I believe in God. As for evolution I believe if a species is to survive it has to happen. However this huge thing about how all life comes from a pool of goo in a prehistoric ocean and all life is just floating about with no aim like in a breeze. I just can't buy it. Ill debate God, faith , history. I do try to not argue science as I don't fully understand the ins and outs of evolution.

Level 9

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Well at least one of our partners in freedom has logical leadership. From the UK Guardian newspaper.

News that the government (UK) will mandate every new free school "to make provision for the teaching of evolution as a comprehensive, coherent and extensively evidenced theory" is the furthest a British government has ever gone to counter the threat of pseudoscientific creationist beliefs being taught in our state schools. It will be welcomed by all who are working for a rational and evidence-based school curriculum and sends a clear signal that Britain is not willing to go the way of countries like the *United States* or Romania, which have seen creationist advances in state schools fan the flames of culture wars. It follows an equally welcome move by the government in June, when it published its draft of a new primary national curriculum including modules on "evolution and inheritance" for children aged eight to nine.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belie...

What must the United States do to rid ourselves of this blight (creationism) on humanity?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard that Atlantis was in Missouri..or was that something else?:-)
Ah the Show Me State! show me where the Atlantean bloodlines are hiding there ;P

Level 9

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not on any side. I believe in God. As for evolution I believe if a species is to survive it has to happen. However this huge thing about how all life comes from a pool of goo in a prehistoric ocean and all life is just floating about with no aim like in a breeze. I just can't buy it. Ill debate God, faith , history. I do try to not argue science as I don't fully understand the ins and outs of evolution.
You say:
"Ill debate God, faith , history. I do try to not argue science as I don't fully understand the ins and outs of evolution."

Fair enough.

With all the evidence piling up that contravenes the Bible and religion in general...how do you still believe in a magical God? Do you just ignore the evidence, or do you think the evidence is rigged somehow?

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, but I saw a televangelist on tv last night who was praying for everybody. He said if I would send him 100 dollars wrapped in faith as seed money I would get it back 1000 fold! How cool is that?!
I've seen a guy like that. I hope hell is super hot for those guys.

Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

WHAT THEY DIDN'T ASK FOR MONEY!?! You don't have to give God anything to be blessed.

Level 9

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah the Show Me State! show me where the Atlantean bloodlines are hiding there ;P
No, I was wrong...I did some research and Missouri is where the Mormons believe the Garden of Eden was/is.

Hard to keep up with this stuff..:-)

And keep a straight face I might add...

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

thewordofme wrote:
Well at least one of our partners in freedom has logical leadership. From the UK Guardian newspaper.

News that the government (UK) will mandate every new free school "to make provision for the teaching of evolution as a comprehensive, coherent and extensively evidenced theory" is the furthest a British government has ever gone to counter the threat of pseudoscientific creationist beliefs being taught in our state schools. It will be welcomed by all who are working for a rational and evidence-based school curriculum and sends a clear signal that Britain is not willing to go the way of countries like the *United States* or Romania, which have seen creationist advances in state schools fan the flames of culture wars. It follows an equally welcome move by the government in June, when it published its draft of a new primary national curriculum including modules on "evolution and inheritance" for children aged eight to nine.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belie...

What must the United States do to rid ourselves of this blight (creationism) on humanity?
Burn and abandon the constitution.
However if we're going to do that you'll lose the other 9 of your bill of rights. Established by Christians

"What must the United States do to rid ourselves of this blight (creationism) on humanity?"

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>No, I was wrong...I did some research and Missouri is where the Mormons believe the Garden of Eden was/is.

Hard to keep up with this stuff..:-)

And keep a straight face I might add...
Missouri is a fine state.....lol

Level 9

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Missouri is a fine state.....lol
Ramen...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
However if we're going to do that you'll lose the other 9 of your bill of rights. Established by Christians
"What must the United States do to rid ourselves of this blight (creationism) on humanity?"
Who wrote the constitution? I know Thomas Jefferson was rather heavily involved and he was not a Christian. He was a deist who did not believe in miracles, the Trinity, or the divinity of Jesus.

Ben Franklin seemed to be an atheist, though he was not a direct writer of the Constitution. Early America had more deists (those who believed in god but weren't Christians) and atheists than your history classes taught you.

Level 9

Topanga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Established by Agnostics mostly, from what I hear. Why else would there be the separation of church and state and secular control.

I think our founding fathers were well educated and were a little leery of religion. EVERY time religion controls society people and society suffer greatly.

Creationism loses its credibility with me when it tries to move in on our schools and teach grossly wrong junkscience and try to exert moral control of the citizenry. My words to them are: quite trying to take over and impose your bullsh!t values on me.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean that religious "faith" is expected to act as a key to open up the box of religious magic?
Not at all. I just say that the "faithful" here don't know what they are or what they are looking for. They expect to find out through the only actions that they feel they can trust. They would spy on people who don't know they are being spied on.

You've got totally mangled people in the faith funny farm.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, I think you've finally found your level Chucks.
Oh, and you also replied. That makes you part of it.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, well you can regress to those years of diaper dilemmas if you must. Just stop preaching at us!
I am not preaching but clarifying.

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>You say:
"Ill debate God, faith , history. I do try to not argue science as I don't fully understand the ins and outs of evolution."

Fair enough.

With all the evidence piling up that contravenes the Bible and religion in general...how do you still believe in a magical God? Do you just ignore the evidence, or do you think the evidence is rigged somehow?
I don't believe in a magical God. God does what he does how he does it we just don't understand how. 1000 years ago the average person would look at a rainbow and see magic now we know about bending light and while they're still neat we know what it is. 300 years ago the idea of floating steel ships would have gotten you laughed at and called a dreamer now we have floating steel cities. 1000 years from now some new brand of science may come out proving evolution wrong. You can doubt it but just like God you can't prove it impossible.

I do not believe in God just because a book tells me to. It has to do with my personal experience. Things that took place in my life that go beyond coincidence past faith and things I can't even begin to understand in full. I do not doubt my own eyes I am convinced.
Even if the bible is just some collection of stories the lessons and truth that is there can't just be ignored.

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Established by Agnostics mostly, from what I hear. Why else would there be the separation of church and state and secular control.

I think our founding fathers were well educated and were a little leery of religion. EVERY time religion controls society people and society suffer greatly.

Creationism loses its credibility with me when it tries to move in on our schools and teach grossly wrong junkscience and try to exert moral control of the citizenry. My words to them are: quite trying to take over and impose your bullsh!t values on me.
Read the constitution and please tell me where it says separation of church and state. IT DOESN'T

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 59,401 - 59,420 of106,060
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••