Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
59,401 - 59,420 of 115,412 Comments Last updated 45 min ago

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#63536 Dec 6, 2012
liygc wrote:
evolution theory that man came from a mud puddle so to speak = pure laughable crap
creation= logical
Go back to Texas, you nut job.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63537 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has a form of faith in something even if it is faith in themselves.
OF COURSE! Just because you think that way EVERYONE must think like you do, even if they don't admit/know it!
Bat Foy wrote:
Evos have faith that the science behind evolution is correct.
Uh, well actually, since it WORKS, "faith" is not necessary. You just have faith that something "must be wrong" with it, because you don't understand it and don't want to because you're not sure how it jibes with your baseless religious beliefs.
Bat Foy wrote:
The theory of evolution wasn't the brain child of just one person.
You're right. It's the brainchild of literally THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of scientists across the world.
Bat Foy wrote:
So you have to believe the people who have been finding the evidence took no short cuts or didn't miss anything.
Yeah, all those people all made the exact same mistakes and missed all the exact same things and made all the exact same shortcuts. Just forget about that whole peer-review thing.

Because ya know, maybe God really did do it with MAGIC.
Bat Foy wrote:
Science rejects the supernatural in all forms. So logic says it wouldn't matter if God came down in a blaze of glory science would deny it.
Actually you're wrong. Science does NOT reject the "supernatural" in any way, shape or form. You can invoke anything you want - Gods, fairies, leprechauns, ghosts, cosmic space sheep - ANYTHING. All science requires is that whatever you propose passes the scientific method. If it passes the scientific method it means it make valid scientific predictions which can be tested.

Unfortunately the alternative you propose (Jewmagic) just doesn't pass the scientific method.

That's NOT our problem.(shrug)

But boy, will you fundies moan about it...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63538 Dec 6, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Mankind has dominion over ALL other creatures on earth because we were created that way.
Actually we're probably behind things like insects, viruses and bacteria. For example if we're dumb enough to start a nuclear war that wipes out most life on the planet, it's those that stand the best chance of surviving.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63539 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not on any side. I believe in God. As for evolution I believe if a species is to survive it has to happen. However this huge thing about how all life comes from a pool of goo in a prehistoric ocean and all life is just floating about with no aim like in a breeze. I just can't buy it.
The theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis.

However for all you know abio (the science version) COULD be how Goddidit. And you're rejecting His Creation because you personally don't buy it.

And besides, it also doesn't say that's how it was done in this book which also says the Earth is flat.
Bat Foy wrote:
Ill debate God, faith , history. I do try to not argue science as I don't fully understand the ins and outs of evolution.
Yeah, we noticed. Don't worry, neither does any other anti-evolutionist.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63540 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Burn and abandon the constitution.
However if we're going to do that you'll lose the other 9 of your bill of rights. Established by Christians
What, you mean the same Christians who supported the Divine Right of Kings?

For Millenia?

Uhuh.

Although creationists would LOVE to burn and abandon the US Constitution. After all, that's what the Wedge Document is all about.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63541 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the constitution and please tell me where it says separation of church and state. IT DOESN'T
The First Amendment. It's quite simple really.

And what's more, a bunch of cranky Christians requested clarification as to what it means, hence Jefferson wrote a letter explaining it in detail, which is where the original term "separation of church and state" comes from.

Of course you already know this, what being an American who knows about American history and all, right?

Right?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63542 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Some light reading he may have been deist but that's even a maybe
http://www.wnd.com/2002/06/14285/
Just a thought - there's a reason why WND is called 'Wing Nut Daily'.

As far as the original Founders where, there were 2 Catholics, 6 from different Protestant sects, and pretty much the rest were Deists. Though Jefferson, while apparently Deism-like in his beliefs, would prefer to have been referred to as a "religion of one".
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63543 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
So the constitution that was signed and we made our laws by shouldn't be read as it is but what he meant it to say or what you wish he meant it to say.
Nope, you're thinking of the Bible. The First Amendment explicitly guarantees religious freedom. However Government promoting any one religion over another would therefore (by definition) restrict the rights of all other religions. Hence the quicker way of saying things - separation of church and state.

Some Christians prefer to read it as: "Religious freedom - Christians only! p.s. this country was founded by Christians and anyone who don't like it can F-off outta America, Godless Commie heathen B*ST*RDS!!!:-( "
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63544 Dec 6, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, many of your Founding Fathers were deists at best, which is why they deliberately tried to ensure separation of church and state. Not totally successful in the first attempt, hence the need for the First Amendment to the US Constitution with its wording on religion.
Ironic, isn't it, that in the UK, the Church is part of the State, yet we seem to have a more balanced approach to issues of religion?
Meh, it has its ups and downs...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63545 Dec 6, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Maz, I see you are avoiding my questions, posted here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...
And will until Jesus comes back.
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
But here it is again:
Want to talk science, Maz? Okay, let's talk science. Answer these questions, if you please:
1) You believe in gravity, right? Tell us, in a single sentence, why the Earth does not pull the Earth towards it? How is the moon able to stay in the sky?
2) When digging for dinosaurs, why do I have to go down into deeper strata to find them? Why will I not find a dinosaur in the same strata than say, a lion, elephant or oryx?
3) When we radiometrically test the strata, why do we get more severe decay the deeper we do down?
4) GPS has allowed us to confirm that the continents are moving - at about 1-2 inches per year. Africa and South America's coast lines has a matching geologic profile - that implies that they were together at one stage in time. At the current rate of motion, the continents would have split up 97 million years ago. Do you have any other explanation that fit the facts?
5) Also by using the wonders of GPS technology, we measure that Everest is getting higher every year. Please, give a brief explanation of why
6) Take distilled water, put it into the microwave for about 5 minutes and add a spoonful of sugar. What would happen?
1 - Jewmagic

2 - Jewmagic

3 - Jewmagic

4 - Jewmagic

5 - Jewmagic

6 - Jewmagic

Satisfied?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63546 Dec 6, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in Texas and have never heard anyone say anything about killing people for not believing in God. This may be because I tend to not hang out with morons.
Abolishing religion would be just as wrong as abolishing science.
Even if it weren't what would you say should be done with the creationists of the world? Should they be fined, jailed, executed?
Maybe not executed, but they should certainly be fined for constantly violating the First Amendment, committing perjury and pushing pseudo-scientific religious apologetics in public school science classes. It's then the schools that have to pay the price, while the w*nkers on the school board that made it happen get of scott free.

Probably won't stay that way though...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63547 Dec 6, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
what did I plagiarize when I simply said you can simply find an answer on Google! You are really dumb. You evos just like to insult because when asked for REAL evidence you got none. You just resort to ad homs. How sad.
Yup, ALL science is wrong because YOU personally don't understand it.

By the way, here's plenty:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...

But then I DID warn you you turned up to the party a little late.(shrug)
bohart

Newport, TN

#63548 Dec 6, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis.
However for all you know abio (the science version) COULD be how Goddidit. And you're rejecting His Creation because you personally don't buy it.
And besides, it also doesn't say that's how it was done in this book which also says the Earth is flat.
<quoted text>
Hold up on that car wash,....abio could be how God did it? If God did do it ,it would be a supernatural use of his power ,don't you dare! after 2,000 of your idiotic posts ridiculing any and everyone with your favorite phrase, sooo God diddit with magic, you now say he could have ? You are the most illogical, duped defender of the puddlegooist faith , now all stand and raise your voices in a joyous sound to our creator:

All hail the goo,
the goo that we came through,
if it wasn't for the goo,
there be no me and you!
so all hail the goo!
the giver of life to you!

The church of the puddlegooists will be holding a pot luck next Monday so be sure to bring a covered dish, as our featured speaker will be the high priest Richard Dawkins who will describe how our goo ancestors came from rain falling upon cooling lava rock.

All donations may be made to the :
Church of the puddlegooists
PO Box 0I812
High preist lane, on the frontage road.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63549 Dec 6, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't confuse REAL SCIENCE with EVOLUTION.
I don't have to confuse real science and evolution, because they are one and the same.

What? You SERIOUSLY think that because you read some religious apologetics from a bunch of anti-science nutcases that evolution REALLY IS just one big world-wide scientific conspiracy?
Cybele wrote:
That site doesn't have anything about evolution, or missing links, or fossil records. Or did I not look hard enough?
Um, no, you didn't look hard enough. But now I've provided you with EXACTLY what you required. And my bet is you STILL won't accept it. But, just like every other fundie on this thread, you certainly won't deal with it either.

"Give me the missing link!" they cry. I give 'em fifteen. With linkys to many more. All linked to genetic, morphological and geological evidence besides. That won't be enough either.

P.s. The "missing link" demand has been known to be a dumb argument for over one hundred years. It's basically an admission to not knowing a whole lot about evolution in particular, or biology or even science in general.

You just used it.

SO!

IF since you don't accept evolution, then may I ask what "scientific alternative" do you propose that does a better job of explaining the evidence?

Or shall we just skip the coy BS and just admit that you don't believe in evolution cuz you think Goddidit with magic?

It would save a lot of time.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63550 Dec 6, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Missing links? Why would it have anything to do about a misused creationist term. And also that is a medical journal. The evolution that they are testing is being done in the laboratory.
Cybele, I see that you keep repeating the claim that there is no "real evidence" for evolution. You could not be more wrong.
Scientific evidence is evidence that is undeniable. There are literally mountains of scientific evidence that support the theory of evolution. There is no scientific evidence that supports creationism.
What, are you saying it's unreasonable to simply hand-wave literally hundreds of thousands of peer-reviewed science papers away based on ignorance of the subject?

You're MEAN!

>:-(
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#63551 Dec 6, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we're probably behind things like insects, viruses and bacteria. For example if we're dumb enough to start a nuclear war that wipes out most life on the planet, it's those that stand the best chance of surviving.
Pesticides are probably the dumbest thing we have over done.

Since: Sep 12

United States

#63552 Dec 6, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>The theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis.

Bat Foy wrote, "Ill debate God, faith , history. I do try to not argue science as I don't fully understand the ins and outs of evolution. "

I was told that I would have to ask a biogenesis this question.

How did life come from non- living matter?
"The theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis"

United States

#63553 Dec 6, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>What, you mean the same Christians who supported the Divine Right of Kings?

For Millenia?

Uhuh.

Although creationists would LOVE to burn and abandon the US Constitution. After all, that's what the Wedge Document is all about.(shrug)
I don't want to burn the constitution read the whole post!!!

United States

#63554 Dec 6, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>The First Amendment. It's quite simple really.

And what's more, a bunch of cranky Christians requested clarification as to what it means, hence Jefferson wrote a letter explaining it in detail, which is where the original term "separation of church and state" comes from.

Of course you already know this, what being an American who knows about American history and all, right?

Right?
That us right the problem with your argument is the letter explaining it isn't in the constitution nor is the phrase separation of church and state. The constitution protects the rights of those to not believe and those who wish to.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#63555 Dec 6, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm...okay so when you teach a child how to use potty...you give them the choice to go in the diaper or anywhere they please right?
Or when you teach a child not to cross the road before looking but you give them the choice to go ahead and run in front of traffic...you know because you don't want to indoctrinate them...
Seriously? I and the other guy ain't the ones re-defining and re-labeling words and actions...
But hey...whatever...
You do inadvertently raise an interesting point -*some* indoctrination will happen even by those who do their best to raise their children objectively. And the reason being is culture. For example, were we might look at polygamous marriages or open nudity as strange or even repellent, in other countries it's no big deal. Now while someone on here might say "Hey, I don't care if my kid grows up and wants to join a nudist camp!" they're more than likely still gonna be a little part of them that thinks "Yikes!"

So from a certain point of view, cultural 'norms' are a kind of indoctrination, and in some ways quite unavoidable.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min Princess Hey 145,579
ISIS just beheaded 7 min beatlesinthebog 36
In honor of Petal Power 8 min night machine 92
30,000 post wins (May '13) 8 min NotaGoth 1,401
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 11 min beatlesinthebog 54,443
Women Hid Stolen Watches in Their Vaginas in Bi... 21 min beatlesinthebog 45
ISIS (((caps is essential))) 26 min greymouser 6
What's your tip for the day? 27 min beatlesinthebog 852
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr Captn Morgan 18,732
•••