Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

#63455 Dec 5, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>You say:
"Ill debate God, faith , history. I do try to not argue science as I don't fully understand the ins and outs of evolution."

Fair enough.

With all the evidence piling up that contravenes the Bible and religion in general...how do you still believe in a magical God? Do you just ignore the evidence, or do you think the evidence is rigged somehow?
I don't believe in a magical God. God does what he does how he does it we just don't understand how. 1000 years ago the average person would look at a rainbow and see magic now we know about bending light and while they're still neat we know what it is. 300 years ago the idea of floating steel ships would have gotten you laughed at and called a dreamer now we have floating steel cities. 1000 years from now some new brand of science may come out proving evolution wrong. You can doubt it but just like God you can't prove it impossible.

I do not believe in God just because a book tells me to. It has to do with my personal experience. Things that took place in my life that go beyond coincidence past faith and things I can't even begin to understand in full. I do not doubt my own eyes I am convinced.
Even if the bible is just some collection of stories the lessons and truth that is there can't just be ignored.

Fort Worth, TX

#63456 Dec 5, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Established by Agnostics mostly, from what I hear. Why else would there be the separation of church and state and secular control.

I think our founding fathers were well educated and were a little leery of religion. EVERY time religion controls society people and society suffer greatly.

Creationism loses its credibility with me when it tries to move in on our schools and teach grossly wrong junkscience and try to exert moral control of the citizenry. My words to them are: quite trying to take over and impose your bullsh!t values on me.
Read the constitution and please tell me where it says separation of church and state. IT DOESN'T
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#63457 Dec 5, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am not preaching but clarifying.
That's a funny way of describing the act of painting the walls with the contents of your dirty diaper.

Right, Mr. GooGoo?

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#63458 Dec 5, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Established by Agnostics mostly, from what I hear. Why else would there be the separation of church and state and secular control.
I think our founding fathers were well educated and were a little leery of religion. EVERY time religion controls society people and society suffer greatly.
Creationism loses its credibility with me when it tries to move in on our schools and teach grossly wrong junkscience and try to exert moral control of the citizenry. My words to them are: quite trying to take over and impose your bullsh!t values on me.
Bill, your unbelief of the bible and God definitely will not change the reality of God's existence.
Our problem generally, is see and belief. But can you see spirits physically? no, but the world, its composition, enable us to know that there is a God. We use faith to determine this( that).

Fort Worth, TX

#63459 Dec 5, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Who wrote the constitution? I know Thomas Jefferson was rather heavily involved and he was not a Christian. He was a deist who did not believe in miracles, the Trinity, or the divinity of Jesus.

Ben Franklin seemed to be an atheist, though he was not a direct writer of the Constitution. Early America had more deists (those who believed in god but weren't Christians) and atheists than your history classes taught you.
Some light reading he may have been deist but that's even a maybe
http://www.wnd.com/2002/06/14285/

Level 2

Location hidden

#63460 Dec 5, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>That's a funny way of describing the act of painting the walls with the contents of your dirty diaper.
Right, Mr. GooGoo?
Lol
Dirty? that is an understand. In the US alone, they( the Christians) are in the majority.

Level 2

Location hidden

#63461 Dec 5, 2012
Typo:
I meant, understatement and not understand.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#63462 Dec 5, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am not preaching but clarifying.
Fine.

Let's assume that you've clarified.

You may go now.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#63463 Dec 5, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the constitution and please tell me where it says separation of church and state. IT DOESN'T
The phrase came from Thomas Jefferson and he was one of the writers of the constitution. If you want to say that the constitution should be interpreted as the the writers meant it when they first wrote it then you have to go by what Jefferson said.

Level 2

Location hidden

#63464 Dec 5, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Lol
Dirty? that is an understand. In the US alone, they( the Christians) are in the majority.
Typographical error:
I meant, " understatement ", and not, " understand "...

Level 2

Location hidden

#63465 Dec 5, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Fine.
Let's assume that you've clarified.
You may go now.
Don't be scared buddy, i am a registered member.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#63466 Dec 5, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Some light reading he may have been deist but that's even a maybe
http://www.wnd.com/2002/06/14285/
No, that had nothing that said that Jefferson was not a deist. And, worse yet, it was from a biased source.

Jefferson's religious views were well known. A weak religious site is not going to undo history.

Fort Worth, TX

#63467 Dec 5, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>The phrase came from Thomas Jefferson and he was one of the writers of the constitution. If you want to say that the constitution should be interpreted as the the writers meant it when they first wrote it then you have to go by what Jefferson said.
So the constitution that was signed and we made our laws by shouldn't be read as it is but what he meant it to say or what you wish he meant it to say. Well than in that case lets do everything that way and make evolution the same as creation because I sure wish creation is what Darwin was saying so it is.
I live in a land where people say what they mean not what some other guys says it means.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#63468 Dec 5, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
So the constitution that was signed and we made our laws by shouldn't be read as it is but what he meant it to say or what you wish he meant it to say. Well than in that case lets do everything that way and make evolution the same as creation because I sure wish creation is what Darwin was saying so it is.
I live in a land where people say what they mean not what some other guys says it means.
What, you clearly did not understand what I wrote.

The wording of the Constitution clearly left some questions about how church and state should interact. Jefferson, one of the main writers of the Constitution. If he was not an expert you would go to for clarification who would you go to? I am very much a original intent person when it comes to the Constitution. That means I am big on Second Amendment Rights, even though I do not now personally own a gun.

If the meaning of the Constitution is not clear to you, who better than old TJ to go for a clarification?

Since: Nov 12

Milk River, Canada

#63469 Dec 5, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. I just say that the "faithful" here don't know what they are or what they are looking for. They expect to find out through the only actions that they feel they can trust. They would spy on people who don't know they are being spied on.
You've got totally mangled people in the faith funny farm.
I'm still looking to understand what people who claim "faith" in God, Jesus or whatever, mean by it. I figure I might be able to make at least a plausible case for some kind of God out there, and I might suspect that it was correct, but I wouldn't phrase it as faith. More likely I'd apply the word "faith" to my confidence in a light switch that had served me well already 10,000 times.

I know many people of "faith" who don't carry a lot of the baggage that the current wave of born-twicers do, and whose lives are much less messed up than those of many sceptics I know. I only wish there were an easy philosophical key to dealing with life. My experience is that religion is more like skin colour -- rather superficial to the innate personality.

As far as spying on people goes, I'm convinced that as many or more "liberal" or even non-believer politicians rationalize their need for warrantless spying as the other side does. It seems to me to be a moral failure along a different axis.

Milk River, Canada

#63470 Dec 5, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Bill, your unbelief of the bible and God definitely will not change the reality of God's existence.
Our problem generally, is see and belief. But can you see spirits physically? no, but the world, its composition, enable us to know that there is a God. We use faith to determine this( that).
Sure sounds backwards to me. If the world and its composition allow one to know that there is a God, then faith derives from that, rather than that faith determines the world and it's composition.

Milk River, Canada

#63471 Dec 5, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Bill, your unbelief of the bible and God definitely will not change the reality of God's existence.
Seems to me it should be more like "your [belief] of the bible and God definitely will not change the reality of.. existence.

Level 2

Location hidden

#63472 Dec 5, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure sounds backwards to me. If the world and its composition allow one to know that there is a God, then faith derives from that, rather than that faith determines the world and it's composition.
Opinions do differ(s).

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Iquique

#63473 Dec 5, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just didn't explain myself well...not to get upset my friend.

The country was set up so that religion did not control law and policy making. There was no national religion, like Sweden for instance.

In America many sects existed, but none were "officially" endorsed.

From what I understand the only reason many of the founders espoused religion was they could get killed if they disagreed too much. Religion is like that you know.

They still want it to be that way if you listen to the redneck creotards that clog many reply pages on some websites.

Religion is dangerous no matter which one you are talking about

Level 2

Location hidden

#63474 Dec 5, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me it should be more like "your [belief] of the bible and God definitely will not change the reality of.. existence.
Your translation or understanding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Top Deal Breakers in Relationships (Feb '13) 13 min wichita-rick 820
Good Night Thread... (Nov '12) 17 min Petal Power 938
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 22 min mrbill3 40,270
For Dear FlowerChild (Dec '07) 23 min Petal Power 23,861
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 24 min wichita-rick 147,038
Do It Obama! 38 min Petal Power 3
The N-word: 40 min Petal Power 142
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 47 min Petal Power 36,522
I love you because.............. (Mar '09) 51 min Petal Power 4,473
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 52 min Hoosier daddy 20,616