Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
59,221 - 59,240 of 115,305 Comments Last updated 19 min ago

“Live Each Day and Have Fun !”

Level 4

Since: Nov 12

Where I am at .

#63353 Dec 5, 2012
What was the topic again ?

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#63354 Dec 5, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I am still looking for 290 million year old whales. What is the real story with that?
http://creationrevolution.com/2011/11/whale-f...

http://phys.org/news/2011-11-whales-fossil-bo...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#63355 Dec 5, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You have evidence of modern birds that predate Archaeopteryx? You better get that published.
Is this part of your avian ecology research program or part of your vertebrate paleontology research efforts?
She has one case of birdlike fossil footprints that significantly predate Archaeopteryx. She has bet the house on the reversed hallux. According to her it seems like she thinks that birds, and only birds have reversed halluxxeseseses, hallici? who speaks Latin around here? Oh, and of course, God dun it with magic.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#63356 Dec 5, 2012
Charles Darwin wrote:
I don't like the way this thread has evolved.
Tossing and turning, I guess?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#63357 Dec 5, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I am still looking for 290 million year old whales. What is the real story with that?
She keeps citing this story about whale bones found in a quarry in Michigan. Kong found an excellent article about the dating of that particular find. The "rock" that is was found in was unconsolidated sandstone. In laymen terms that means it was found in sand. Very pure quartz sandstone very often will not glue or cement itself together. It is mined with a shovel. So it is no problem to bury objects in the sandstone. If someone does not check the structure of the sand it will not be noticeable to an amateur.

Here is the article that Kong found:

http://paleodb.org/cgi-bin/bridge.pl...

It dated the rock at about 720 years old using Carbon dating and since it was sea life that is a very reasonable date for very recent sea life, not even 720 years old, but right from the sea. Anyway back to the article Kong linked. It has a four word phrase that blows away Maz' claim:

"Preservation: original phosphate, anthropogenic"

Translation: Original bones, not fossils, placed there by man.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#63358 Dec 5, 2012
AArgeh, no edit feature. The rock was not dated at 720 years using carbon dating, it was the whale bones that were dated at 720 years.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#63359 Dec 5, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta give her some props though she doesn't talk about faith just data and theory.
She uses data like a red neck uses the English language.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#63360 Dec 5, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
Thanks. Not the 290 mya whale fossils I am looking for, but interesting.

The first link is higly biased and short on important details, but the second link provided more detail.

So if creation geologist consider this to be evidence of a Worldwide flood, then they are pusing the date of that unsupported event back 2 million years if they are using these fossils. That may be the first time I have read about alledged flood evidence that didn't hit around the 4-6 thousand year range.

I tried getting the actual article from Geology that these two articles report on, but was unable to get access.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#63362 Dec 5, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
She keeps citing this story about whale bones found in a quarry in Michigan. Kong found an excellent article about the dating of that particular find. The "rock" that is was found in was unconsolidated sandstone. In laymen terms that means it was found in sand. Very pure quartz sandstone very often will not glue or cement itself together. It is mined with a shovel. So it is no problem to bury objects in the sandstone. If someone does not check the structure of the sand it will not be noticeable to an amateur.
Here is the article that Kong found:
http://paleodb.org/cgi-bin/bridge.pl...
It dated the rock at about 720 years old using Carbon dating and since it was sea life that is a very reasonable date for very recent sea life, not even 720 years old, but right from the sea. Anyway back to the article Kong linked. It has a four word phrase that blows away Maz' claim:
"Preservation: original phosphate, anthropogenic"
Translation: Original bones, not fossils, placed there by man.
Thanks much.

That sounds like what I have come to expect from Maz. She provides references she doesn't appear to have reviewed or to understand. It is just for the claim that she is citing references I think. Like those bird-like fossil footprints. Sees the title but doesn't understand the substance.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#63363 Dec 5, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, I was asking you, not google, however did you actually understand what you plagiarised?
For example what is mean by setting address &h02000 as the sound card and why did I use &h0 instead of 0x
BTW hard drive address donít work in quite the same way, mainly because of the actual address space and they vary depending on the format, 0x3000 would be a bloody small hdd
And you have not answered my final question
You asked for answer I googled it for you, k?

binary code = series of numbers 1 and 0

the computer converts letters into numbers

BTW, this is red herring. Why are we talking about computers?

And what was your last question again?
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#63364 Dec 5, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You can easily find the answer on google.
The core of computing is binary encoding. The premise is that each of the transistor switches is either on of off, represented by 1 or 0. Each bit is a BInary digiT.
Each of these switches is more-or-less useless on its own. However, you can arrange them in a sequence to get some logic.
Humans use hexadecimal representation as a form of shorthand for binary. That's a 16-base number system that goes from 0-9 then a-f, then rolls over from 0f to 10.
When you write a computer program, the compiler converts your code into opcode, a hex representation of the binary stream. The CPU interprets the opcodes and follows the program, manipulating bits in the accumulator section. In other words, it reads the binary code and uses that code to switch bits on and off in its "brain". The outgoing data is then sent to various locations in the computer, such as to the sound card, video card, hard disk, RAM, etc. You can do this by mapping each location to a virtual location in the computer. For example, you could set the address 0x2000 to be the sound card, and when you write the data 0x5e41 to 0x2000, the sound card will interpret that data and put out an analog signal to the speakers. You could also read the data at location 0x3000 to see what's on that location in the hard drive.
You're saying the intricate complexity and utility of the unit is correlated with the brain like with our being, is this correct?

Level 5

above and beyond

#63365 Dec 5, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a kind of sexuality in some single celled species where they stick together and exchange genetic material. More classic sexuality is seen pretty soon in some small multi-celled organisms, like hydra, which reproduce in sexual and non-sexual ways. BTW, hydra have a little advantage over the rest of us, since they are immortal (barring accidents). I guess if we were like them, religion would have less appeal
Even smaller is the diatom, a single celled organism which reproduces both ways. It reproduces by division and also can split out into 4 sperms or an egg.
The smallest organisms to reproduce ONLY sexually are probably some of the worms. It's not area of my expertise, but I did, as a child, keep some planaria (flatworms), and it was possible to cut then lengthwise and end up with two healthy worms after they regenerated.
well then tell Double Fine that. I never claimed anything about how cells reproduce.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#63366 Dec 5, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
She was asking to prove a point, she knows more than you about tech, a lot more, which was the point. You don't know how your machine works, you use it every day, but you don't know how it works because you haven't studied them. Would you be capable of attempting to disprove how the transistor works? If you think you can, then all is lost for you. All creationists are like that with evolution, they know as much about evolution as you do your computer, yet they attempt to disprove how mechanisms in it work. That's not smart, it's the exact opposite of smart.

Also, the computer doesn't "convert" the binary to letters and numbers, it has combinations that represent letters and numbers, the ones you see, binary is a number, it's just the most basic numerical system. Computers use that number system because they are built using gates, instead of concepts the way our brains work. These gates are switches, to get the space character, the blank space you see when you press the space bar, it checks the switches thrown by the information received by your keyboard to a table, a chart, in the memory then using that it knows which switches to toggle in the video memory to produce that empty space. It's rather interesting that the brain does something even more elaborate, the concept of the empty space triggers switches in the brain, yes, but the language is not binary, it's neural, something we understand but are having a difficult time emulating with binary systems. That blanks space, to your brain, represents as much logic processes as your entire monitor's image. This is why it's perfectly apt to assert that computers are more efficient than the human brain, as it requires only a few switches representing numbers to produce that, while our brains require a lot more just to process it's existence.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#63367 Dec 5, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>You're saying the intricate complexity and utility of the unit is correlated with the brain like with our being, is this correct?
The brain's method of comprehending the 1 is complex because that was just "how it works" based off previous methods. The computer is billions of times more efficient because of that. So your "designer" is really a moron, making it so complex when it needn't be.

Level 5

above and beyond

#63368 Dec 5, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>You're saying the intricate complexity and utility of the unit is correlated with the brain like with our being, is this correct?
what part didn't you understand? the brain of the computer?

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#63369 Dec 5, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks. Not the 290 mya whale fossils I am looking for, but interesting.
The first link is higly biased and short on important details, but the second link provided more detail.
So if creation geologist consider this to be evidence of a Worldwide flood, then they are pusing the date of that unsupported event back 2 million years if they are using these fossils. That may be the first time I have read about alledged flood evidence that didn't hit around the 4-6 thousand year range.
I tried getting the actual article from Geology that these two articles report on, but was unable to get access.
http://www.reasons.org/explore/topic/age-of-t...

http://www.reasons.org/explore/topic/age-of-t...

Hugh Ross is an old earth creationist...

Level 5

above and beyond

#63370 Dec 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So your "designer" is really a moron, making it so complex when it needn't be.
what designer?
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#63371 Dec 5, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Are all the switches in a computer individual devices in the logic circuits, and is the binary system just following a written pattern?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#63372 Dec 5, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
what designer?
That was a reference to Bat Foy's belief in God. Do you really need everything explained to you. I guess that you really did not understand the various analogies offered to you in the past.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#63373 Dec 5, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
what designer?
FS is a religious person, as far I as I can recall.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 4 min Truths 29,153
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 14 min TALLYHO 8541 36,033
Describe how you are feeling in just ONE word... (Feb '09) 14 min Nobody 2 Special 6,806
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 15 min Nobody 2 Special 29,189
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 18 min Nobody 2 Special 6,875
last word - first (Jun '12) 21 min Nobody 2 Special 6,831
30,000 post wins (May '13) 22 min Nobody 2 Special 1,334
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr the wandering girl 145,414
Women Hid Stolen Watches in Their Vaginas in Bi... 6 hr szell 19
What's your tip for the day? 7 hr SLY WEST 832
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 8 hr -Lea- 18,631
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••