Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
59,141 - 59,160 of 112,833 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“There's a feeling I get...”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
With what did the first cell capable of sexual reproduction reproduce?
Ever had biology?

Ever study a cell?

Have you ever seen one to have any sexual organs?

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
cell fawn. lol
So... You also believe that cells reproduce sexually?

Tell me, what age did you leave school? Structure of the plant/animal cell is eighth or ninth grade biology

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting a little impatient?
Careful, the moment you insult a biblical YEC creationist type (s)he will jump on the persecution soapbox, which is one of the emotional wellsprings of their irrational creed. Its like giving vodka to an alcoholic :) Don't you know there is a war on Christmas!
Nope I just shouted in the hope of something registering in her stupid creatard mind, only hope mind you, no real expectation.

I know, good ainít it

What is Christmas? Oh that celebration that was hijacked from the Romans and two or three northern European celebrations, with the excuse that if you join our club you wonít have to give up your winter festival.

Surely you mean there is a war on Saturnalia or on Yule or on Winter Solstice

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
Oh and why would any plant or animal want to reproduce more of its kind since this would only make more mouths to feed and decrease the chances of survival?(Does the individual have a drive to survive, or the species)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Finally, a good, sensible question from you!

I am so proud of you.

Yes. Why reproduce?

The answer is that all animals, us included, have a thing known as DRIVE. A drive for survival, a drive for sex, a drive for obtaining nourishment and a drive to reproduce.

Giving you an example - Have you ever been in a life threatening emergency, i.e. a fight for your life? Have you noticed that, even if you are not a fighter, you gain this terrible WILL for survival? That you can dig deep down into reserves you never knew you had, to get out of it?

Or, likewise, have you ever been really aroused when with a woman you know it is a bad idea to sleep with? How difficult is it getting out of there? It is difficult, because we have an innate DRIVE for sex.

With our offspring, we (usually) have a DRIVE to care for them. That is why most parents, mine included, would lay down their lives in a second, to save mine.

Now, females also have a drive to reproduce. Have you ever seen a few ladies in the baby section of the store, mulling over how cute those little bootsies look? That is parental drive.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree the urge to reproduce is a strong one. However humans can and do choose not to. Where as a cat and every other living thing in the world doesn't choose they just do what comes natural. What gives man that ability to say no to our base instinct if man is nothing special and no better than any other animal how is it we can choose against nature?
Another good question!

The answer, is because we are able to (largely) think of the consequences of following our natural instincts. We are able to determine our position in society and make an informed decision.

For instance - I have a drive to reproduce, too. I am 26, in the prime of my life. However, I understand that currently, my financial position is not strong enough to pay for childcare. I would want to wait at least a few years, to ensure that I can support my children.

The same way I have an innate drive for sex, but I understand that I can't just sleep with any female out there.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe their formulas and statistics without understanding how they do it?
I am following your logic here:

Do you know how the computer works? How do you turn electricity into an interactive display on your screen?

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Another good question!
The answer, is because we are able to (largely) think of the consequences of following our natural instincts. We are able to determine our position in society and make an informed decision.
For instance - I have a drive to reproduce, too. I am 26, in the prime of my life. However, I understand that currently, my financial position is not strong enough to pay for childcare. I would want to wait at least a few years, to ensure that I can support my children.
The same way I have an innate drive for sex, but I understand that I can't just sleep with any female out there.
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Another good question!
Ö
but I understand that I can't just sleep with any female out there.
Say what? Thatís not like you

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Say what? Thatís not like you
I meant to add, not without them paying for the privilege

:)

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Birds evolved from dinosaurs.
Mammals evolved from another group of reptiles (therapsids), at about the same time as dinosaurs were first evolving (from archosaurs), but dinosaurs became dominant and stayed that way until 65 million years ago.
But you are missing the point. Everything has been evolving for as long as everything else - about 3.5 billion years, whether its a frog or an oak tree or a human. And "superior" is a meaningless word in the context you use it.
You might think you are superior to a rat or an E. coli because you have a big brain. You can certainly say your intelligence, as a characteristic, is superior to theirs. But survival is the whole package. Your brain carries a price...perhaps even the ability to form massive groups and develop weapons of mass destruction can be seen as indications that intelligence is an evolutionary dead end!
Every species alive today is "the winner" in superiority and luck...come back in 50 million years to see which species were the luckiest or most superior "today". Perhaps 50 million years from now, the majority of successful species on the planet might have evolved from today's bats! There is no way of knowing.
Yeah.

The reasons why dinosaurs bacame dominant, is another great debate in itself. During the Triassic extinction event, the dinosaurs had a small, but adaptle player in the field: Coelophysis. I believe that that is the very animal that heralded in the dinosaurs as the dominant life forms on earth.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to talk science, Maz? Okay, let's talk science. Answer these questions, if you please:
1) You believe in gravity, right? Tell us, in a single sentence, why the Earth does not pull the Earth towards it? How is the moon able to stay in the sky?
My apologies.

"...why the Earth does not pull the MOON towards it"

Since: Nov 12

Milk River, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

RE: Easy explanation of Quantum Gravity
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay.First, you need to take a magnet and imagine the flux lines are a river flowing past it. Now, induce a string with EM energy, and put it in this "river". What does it do? Hold the string a bit further. What effect do you see?
Wait a sec. I thought we were going to talk about quantum gravity. OK, so is this an analogy in terms of EM field theory? Is the string one of the strings of string theory? What does it mean to induce a string with EM energy? You mean like magnetize it? or like induce a charge dipole in it? Are we talking in terms of 3-space or 4-space? We are talking bar magnet, right? If the string is magnetized or becomes so, then it aligns with the magnetic field. Hold it a bit further, in time or distance? Are you sure this is going to easy for everyone to understand?

BTW, another thread, I figure would be outside the Evo/Creo thread.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

AustinHook wrote:
RE: Easy explanation of Quantum Gravity
<quoted text>
Wait a sec. I thought we were going to talk about quantum gravity. OK, so is this an analogy in terms of EM field theory? Is the string one of the strings of string theory? What does it mean to induce a string with EM energy? You mean like magnetize it? or like induce a charge dipole in it? Are we talking in terms of 3-space or 4-space? We are talking bar magnet, right? If the string is magnetized or becomes so, then it aligns with the magnetic field. Hold it a bit further, in time or distance? Are you sure this is going to easy for everyone to understand?
BTW, another thread, I figure would be outside the Evo/Creo thread.
Errr..

Do you actually think that I was being serious?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you filter them out?
Through natural selection. Either they don't live to breeding age or they die after they have kids and the kids die too. The latter is not happening so much today, but before civilized times it was not uncommon at all. Childhood sickle cell anemia is fairly rare. Most cases today are people who are over 40, an age that would historically be beyond the breeding and raising children age.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey the Bible tells us that your God sniffs panties!
Yuck
There are a lot of people that think sniffing panties is hot. Well there are plenty of threads on topics on the subject just take a look at the human sexuality threads. Maybe it a christian pastime

Milk River, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
With what did the first cell capable of sexual reproduction reproduce?
No need to presume that when it became capable of sexual reproduction that it suddenly ceased to be capable of asexual reproduction. Many species of microbe do both, so there are always plenty of partners around.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of people that think sniffing panties is hot. Well there are plenty of threads on topics on the subject just take a look at the human sexuality threads. Maybe it a christian pastime
LOL, I have no clever comebacks on that one

Milk River, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Re: Easy explanation of quantum gravity....
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>Errr..
Do you actually think that I was being serious?
Ah shucks... there goes our one chance to get all the Christians and infidels to agree on something...
Now, how am I going to find an audience when I evolve it all into an analogy of my pet theory of 2nd order quantum religiosity wherein I show that Everett's many worlds theory explains why every one is a new universe of religious perspective...?
60s chic

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

The Duggers; creationists who are obsessed with pro-creating, and have an obsession with the letter J. Every one of their children's names start with the letter J! Can some one explain that to me? LOL!
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The English people and some other truthful people, knows that i am right. The tribes became English, do your research. They left mainland Europe in mass. English is a language first spoken in England.
There's nothing to research. The term "English" is a label arbitrarily applied to a group of people. You won't find old records where some Christian monastery one day decided to say "Hey! Those people are the English people", and forevermore God's truth blessed the land. You can look up etymologies but they only give you paths and time estimates.

It's ironic how you can fixate on labels but remain terrified at the abundance of scientific labels, all packaged up in Latin and sounding so smarty-smart. But we all know that your angle is "faith" because you hide behind it due to your pride. There's nothing smart about that!

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

AustinHook wrote:
Re: Easy explanation of quantum gravity....
<quoted text>
Ah shucks... there goes our one chance to get all the Christians and infidels to agree on something...
Now, how am I going to find an audience when I evolve it all into an analogy of my pet theory of 2nd order quantum religiosity wherein I show that Everett's many worlds theory explains why every one is a new universe of religious perspective...?
You could always try a bribe...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••