Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 2,957)

Showing posts 59,121 - 59,140 of105,798
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Orripa Paquia wrote:
<quoted text>
You cant understand the basic principles of evolution that you believe in? What do you understand then?
If you cant understand a basic statement of what evolution implies or believes in, how can we go any further? A rational conversation cannot be had.
I would like to educate you, but i usually charge for that.
You seriously cannot believe in evolution without a basic understanding of its principles. Both you and subduction zone have serious deficits in your understanding.
So what IS your angle here?

We aren't scientists publishing peer reviewed work, or most of us aren't! We tend to read layman publications like Wikipedia where the currently accepted theories are phrased for layman readers and sources are provided.

When it comes down to it, Evolution is a largely untestable theory because of the time involved in recreating events and the reality is that the same mutations are not guaranteed to happen twice.

So when it comes down to it, properly worded predictions should be non-specific, while genetic and fossil evidence should be open to new inclusions in the subtleties of species adaptability. I see no reason to go beyond the responsibly presented material as is.

Dismissing all Evolution over any apparent anomaly discovered is ignoring the majority of evidence in favor of a small minority. This is a science problem, not a civil liberties problem. Are you just a political hack on a stealth mission to poison two liberal wells at the same time?
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain that. Doesn't the DNA repair system corrects any mismatch in genome or reduces mutations that occur. Mutations can occur (inherited or acquired) if there is an error in DNA and is either neutral or harmful. Unless you can prove that there are beneficial mutations. If most mutations known are harmful and causes defects, imagine the odds of having a 'beneficial' mutation if DNA mismatch repair system detects those mutations all the time. If humans evolved from lower life forms, that's a whole lot of mutations and an overworked DNA!
Perhaps you can explain this "repair system". As I understand it, the only repair system is natural selection. What's this other one?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>I completely miss your analogy.
Bacteria and camouflage?
I was in a rush when I wrote that.

I used camouflage in animals as an example of defense mechanism. The same concept applies to bacteria such as E. Coli when they become resistant to antibiotics or use citric acid as a carbon source

Since: Sep 12

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>You asked where new information came from. You did not ask how it was implemented. By implying that the answerer of your question was answering a different question you are lying. Lying is against the Ninth Commandment. That makes you a hypocritical person and a dick in general.
I am asking a real question. Calling me a liar so you don't have to answer is ok. Ill accept it as you don't know and I will wait for someone smarter than you to reply. I realize when it comes to this subject you are mentally the "poor cousin" thank you for being stupid.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain that. Doesn't the DNA repair system corrects any mismatch in genome or reduces mutations that occur. Mutations can occur (inherited or acquired) if there is an error in DNA and is either neutral or harmful. Unless you can prove that there are beneficial mutations. If most mutations known are harmful and causes defects, imagine the odds of having a 'beneficial' mutation if DNA mismatch repair system detects those mutations all the time. If humans evolved from lower life forms, that's a whole lot of mutations and an overworked DNA!
No, most mutations are not harmful. The vast majority of mutations are neutral. The mutations that matter are those in the reproductive system and I am not an expert but the figure I have seen repeated is that on average there are 150 mutations per generation, though I have seen figures as low as a third of that.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in a rush when I wrote that.
I used camouflage in animals as an example of defense mechanism. The same concept applies to bacteria such as E. Coli when they become resistant to antibiotics or use citric acid as a carbon source
Hmm. Not a good analogy. Alternate food sources and inherited immunity to antibiotics isn't the same as evading a predator.

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

With what did the first cell capable of sexual reproduction reproduce?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am asking a real question. Calling me a liar so you don't have to answer is ok. Ill accept it as you don't know and I will wait for someone smarter than you to reply. I realize when it comes to this subject you are mentally the "poor cousin" thank you for being stupid.
Then don't try to change the question after the fact. Like it or not what you did was a form of lying. So do you want to try again?

Look at the original question that you asked. Read the answer. It answered your question. You really want to ask another question, but you are not intelligent enough to know the right question.

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

How can mutations create any new, improved varieties?(Recombining English letters will never produce Chinese books.)

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1w0FiwfyUMM

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

How could random mutations create a male and female of the same species? Than if random mutation did create 2 of the same species how long would that take? Would be in the life time of the first one?

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
OH!!!! They have live footage?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
How could random mutations create a male and female of the same species? Than if random mutation did create 2 of the same species how long would that take? Would be in the life time of the first one?
It didn't at first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
OH!!!! They have live footage?
Were you born stupid or did your Mama drop you on your head?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
Cells don't reproduce sexually.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm. Not a good analogy. Alternate food sources and inherited immunity to antibiotics isn't the same as evading a predator.
Not a good analogy but I'm thinking of what happens in the cells of organims such as in chamelions when they contract the cells in their skin and changes color. The E Coli bacteria most likely developed enzymes called citrate permease that transports citrate from outside the cell through cell membrane and into its interior. Think of the cell action going on here, it's basically the same idea even if it's for different purpose.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
cell fawn. lol

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Cells don't reproduce sexually.
assexually?

Grand Prairie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Were you born stupid or did your Mama drop you on your head?
Oh my a well placed mama joke. Is the need to insult others a learned behavior or did your mother not love you enough to keep your stepdad out of your pants? How old were you when he lost interest?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Cybele wrote:
assexually?
Yep.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 59,121 - 59,140 of105,798
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••