Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201017 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Orriapa paquia

Lubbock, TX

#62659 Dec 3, 2012
Subduction zone:

How can someone believe in evolution if you cannot say/explain how it all started?
If you cannot explain or prove the first step then what good is the rest?

In regards to the bible can you tell me where it says about evolution? id like to check it out

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#62660 Dec 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

No, they don't. They do their best to stay where their preferences are, but those preferences are evolved, not innate.
The dinosaurs didn't choose a meteor to end their existence.
what do you mean by "evolved" and not "innate?" The idea of evolution sounds like a natural phenomena or occurrence. How do you know that about extinct animals when you don't completely understand their DNA?

I didn't say animals choose a meteor to end their existence. If you buy a house do you choose to live in it if you know you'd die from a fallen tree? what exactly is your point.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#62661 Dec 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No one claims that the ToE is fact. Evolution, the observation, is fact. The ToE is our attempt to explain our observations.
That you don't know this - that you cannot be specific enough to separate evolution the observation from the theory of evolution tells us you don't understand anything about biological science.
That's why we can't take you seriously - you're not saying much of interest.
Actually the TOE explains the fact of evolution, just as the theory of gravity explains the fact of gravity, and atomic theory explains the fact of the existence of atoms. Theory is not fact, but the existence of evolution is a fact.
Orriapa paquia

Lubbock, TX

#62662 Dec 3, 2012
Hiding from you:

Can you point to how evolution explains the replication of the first cell?

Since: Nov 12

Raymond, Canada

#62663 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> It was faith that led the inventors to come up with their inventions.
I think I'll become an inventor. It's great to know it only takes faith. Whew, I was scared it would need a lot of time, luck, hard work, money, brilliant insight, education, study, or even (shudder) mathematics, patent lawyers, support from my starving wife and children, and things I am even too dumb to imagine. I'm a gonna start with inventing that I can fuel my car with dirty water and if there is the slightest problem with that, I'll just faith it into reality. Ta dahhh, faithless ones, I'll see you at the pump, as I wizz by in my mercury...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#62664 Dec 3, 2012
Orriapa paquia wrote:
Subduction zone:
How can someone believe in evolution if you cannot say/explain how it all started?
In regards to the bible can you tell me where it says about evolution? id like to check it out
That is a foolish attitude.

Why do you think we need to explain how it started? That does not make any sense at all. You are just grasping at straws when you demand that.

And I did not say that the Bible said anything about evolution, I said that your Bible said abiogenesis happened. Of course I am referring to the word as defined from its etymology and not from its common usage.

Level 5

above and beyond

#62665 Dec 3, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, no we don't. Does a jury have to know what order the bits of gunpowder burnt in in a murder trial when talking about a gunshot? No. You are being overly demanding. We can observe evolution in the fossil record, in the field, and in the laboratory. It has been "proven".[/quote]

If that satisfies you, good for you. But not for me. You know how many jail birds are really innocent? But oh well, we don't need to know everything right? Someone has to pay for the crime.

[QUOTE who="Subduction Zone"]<quoted text>
And you only think you know a bird when you see one. You are comparing birds of today to other animals. Not to animals within its own lineage.
LOL. No I'm talking about bird which means homosexual, prostitute, or p*nis. Silly me.

Level 5

above and beyond

#62666 Dec 3, 2012
sorry I messed up on the quotes

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

New Milton, UK

#62667 Dec 3, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I'll become an inventor. It's great to know it only takes faith. Whew, I was scared it would need a lot of time, luck, hard work, money, brilliant insight, education, study, or even (shudder) mathematics, patent lawyers, support from my starving wife and children, and things I am even too dumb to imagine. I'm a gonna start with inventing that I can fuel my car with dirty water and if there is the slightest problem with that, I'll just faith it into reality. Ta dahhh, faithless ones, I'll see you at the pump, as I wizz by in my mercury...
Spoilsport - you pinched my invention! Now I'll just have to have faith in the alchemist's stone and I'll be as rich as Croesus.

Level 5

above and beyond

#62668 Dec 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't actually looking for evidence in DNA. You're just reading forums on topix. That won't help you understand DNA unless one of us explains it to you.
You don't think I did my own research? I have. It's no different than politics. You have the media telling you all kinds of stuff.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#62669 Dec 3, 2012
Orriapa paquia wrote:
Subduction zone:
You are confused; evolution has nothing to do with abiogenesis.

As for the rest it is proven factual, the theory explains the fact

Level 9

Everett, WA

#62670 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't think I did my own research? I have. It's no different than politics. You have the media telling you all kinds of stuff.
If you got any information form creationist sites I would be highly dubious of it. They openly admit that they will be dishonest if need be and reject the scientific method. You cannot get any science from those people.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Level 5

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#62671 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
what do you mean by "evolved" and not "innate?" The idea of evolution sounds like a natural phenomena or occurrence. How do you know that about extinct animals when you don't completely understand their DNA?
I didn't say animals choose a meteor to end their existence. If you buy a house do you choose to live in it if you know you'd die from a fallen tree? what exactly is your point.
Are you claiming that some species don't follow the framework theory of all biological sciences?

If so, ok, why do you suggest that?

Second, you claimed that animals choose their environment. That's only true in very limited geographic constraints. It's not true in terms of environmental change. Hence my sentence, the dinosaurs didn't choose the meteor.

Level 5

Some stable somewhere

#62672 Dec 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
No one claims that the ToE is fact. Evolution, the observation, is fact. The ToE is our attempt to explain our observations.
That you don't know this - that you cannot be specific enough to separate evolution the observation from the theory of evolution tells us you don't understand anything about biological science.
That's why we can't take you seriously - you're not saying much of interest.
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the TOE explains the fact of evolution, just as the theory of gravity explains the fact of gravity, and atomic theory explains the fact of the existence of atoms. Theory is not fact, but the existence of evolution is a fact.
I didn't say otherwise. Why did you feel you had to write this?

What part about my first two sentences is not reproduced in your paragraph?

Level 5

Some stable somewhere

#62673 Dec 3, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're not correct here. The ToE doesn't explain the fact of evolution. The ToE attempts to explain the fact of evolution. The differences is important. We are still working out the ToE. It's not perfect. It doesn't explain evolution the observation perfectly. It's our best model, to date. But it will improve with new evidence and research.

Level 5

Some stable somewhere

#62674 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't believe you do your own research on DNA. You come across as someone who doesn't understand the theory of evolution.

If, by "research," you mean "look up stuff on google" then I'm sure you do at least that much.

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#62675 Dec 3, 2012
http://survive2012.com/index.php/dragons-were...

Which brings us back to ancient Rome! Pliny, the Roman naturalist, said that the dragon of India was

"so enormous a size as easily to envelop the elephant with its folds and encircle with its coils. The contest is equally fatal to both; the elephant, vanquished, falls to the earth and by its weight crushes the dragon which is entwined about it."

He also mentioned the dragons of Ethiopia, which, with a length of only thirty feet, were too small to kill elephants. Other European myths state that dragons always jumped onto elephants from out of trees. Is this all just fantasy, amazing stories concocted to scare children with? Or is it just as reasonable to suggest that dragons once lived?

So where are we heading? On the one hand there are myths connecting dragons to global destruction and rebirth. On the other are links to DNA, ancient languages, ancient calendars and the I Ching. And now I am taking a big breath and suggesting that the mythical dragons were rooted in reality, that knights in shining armour actually killed real dragons, and somehow it all makes sense. This is where a new theory of evolution comes in.. stay tuned.

Level 5

above and beyond

#62676 Dec 3, 2012
Anyone dare to tackle this?

http://www.newgeology.us/presentation32.html

Level 9

Everett, WA

#62677 Dec 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I didn't say otherwise. Why did you feel you had to write this?
What part about my first two sentences is not reproduced in your paragraph?
My fault. I only did read part of your post.
Orriapa paquia

Lubbock, TX

#62678 Dec 3, 2012
Subduction zone:

You state you believe in evolution, but the basic premace of evolution is "evolving" from simple to complex via natural selection.
The most "simple" living organism is the cell. In order to state the cell evolved to something more complex thru natural selection you need to have the ability to replicate. So how did the cell first replicate? being that DNA is the most sophisticated and complex assembly of information currently known to man?
If you can't account for DNA how can you explain evolution?

Cristine M: i didnt write about abiogenesis, subduction zone did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 20 min Sparky 194,151
Word Association (Jun '10) 27 min Bezeer 30,852
Word association (Jun '07) 28 min Bezeer 4,798
Word Association (Mar '10) 29 min Bezeer 20,654
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 32 min wichita-rick 18,374
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 44 min Bezeer 11,708
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 46 min Camilla 3,449
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 3 hr Revised 8,455
TRUMP, Donald (Jun '15) 4 hr Family man 145
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 5 hr Jack 7,790