Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 219597 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“First it steals your mind..”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#62622 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So there you reiterate that organisms don't always adapt to their environment but somehow we survived as a species.
Because WE adapted.

Dinosaurs did not adapt. Neither did Dunkleostus. Neither did the dodo. Neither did the kwagga. Get the point? THEY ARE ALL EXTINCT.
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
We must be special kind of fish.
No. Human beings are not a kind of fish. For you to claim this shows utter ignorance.
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder we say our thanks and attack that damn turkey.
We don't attack the turkey.
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
In the process of an organism trying to adapt, there is a chance that that organism won't survive.
Wow! You are correct here!
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why animals choose their environment. In the wild, they have their own territories.
Yes, BUT ENVIRONMENTS CHANGE.

Temperates and climates change. Food sources vanish.
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why you're here because you probably won't survive in a third world country.
I live in South Africa. I can easlity outlive any person on these threads in the African bushveldt.

You were saying?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#62623 Dec 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The free living organisms came before the egg, by several million years; meaning that the metaphorical chicken came first. By the time you actually get to chickens, the question is impossible to answer since there was no such thing as a "first" chicken or a "first" egg at that point.
Respectfully disagree.

Eggs were around tens (hundreds?) of millions of years before the first birds.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#62624 Dec 3, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Because WE adapted.
Dinosaurs did not adapt. Neither did Dunkleostus. Neither did the dodo. Neither did the kwagga. Get the point? THEY ARE ALL EXTINCT.
<quoted text>
No. Human beings are not a kind of fish. For you to claim this shows utter ignorance.
<quoted text>
We don't attack the turkey.
<quoted text>
Wow! You are correct here!
<quoted text>
Yes, BUT ENVIRONMENTS CHANGE.
Temperates and climates change. Food sources vanish.
<quoted text>
I live in South Africa. I can easlity outlive any person on these threads in the African bushveldt.
You were saying?
And you're not being arrogant? Not only can you adapt but you can also outlive anyone in here. Wow.

I mention "adapt" and you think that's all there is to it in evolution. You are stretching this a bit too far. I think because you still don't get it.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#62625 Dec 3, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Respectfully disagree.
Eggs were around tens (hundreds?) of millions of years before the first birds.
Who knows really? Let's just bury the hatchet. I mean hatch the eggs.

Since: Sep 12

Dallas, TX

#62626 Dec 3, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>If there's a truth there, it's that humanity is psychologically unable to handle the complexities of urban life.

The species will collapse into war, many will die, and those who remain will evolve somehow. Perhaps we will from a caste-based hive mentality. Perhaps we will embrace a Nietzsche-like, warrior-poet type of behavior where conflict is embraced as a part of life. Consider it a truth that as long as we live, there will always be conflict.
I like verse 7 the best

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#62627 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Likewise.
You can not force your delusions on me. Faith is all embracing. Period.
I and not trying to force anything, I just told Bat Foy that there was a difference between the word faith and the word fact

Wrong, you believe faith is all embracing. If you can provide evidence of such a claim I would be willing to look at it but seeing as how you can’t then hey’ it’s just your opinion and like a$$holes, everyone has opinions

How you interpret the words is entirely up to you, I don’t really care if you are mentally defective or deliberately ignorant, the fact remains that words have DIFFERENT meanings
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Those qualities mentioned by you, can not be successful in humans. Except through the application of faith. Faith is all embracing.
Why do you lie? You are always caught out, are you trying to convince yourself? Deluding yourself with lies is still deluding yourself. Those abilities are human traits that helped give rise to the human race thousands of years before religion and tens of thousands of years before the babble made it’s claims.

I have no faith in religion and I can assure you that I am successful

It seem you live by faith and it has made you an unsuccessful liar

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#62628 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but I pay tax.
I don't know how I passed physiology when I studied pharmacology, lol. I also bought a book on bioinformatics when I thought about majoring in that field. I learned about genetic code ACTG and thought maybe study ACCTG. lol.
Give it up. We can talk about it all day, in the end you won't be able to provide real evidence.
It depends on what you mean by "real evidence". There is plenty, in fact more than enough scientific evidence to make if obvious that evolution is a fact. There is as much evidence for the theory of evolution as there is for the theory of gravity. Is gravity a fact? There is as much evidence for evolution, in fact probably more, as there is for the germ theory. Is it a fact that germs cause disease?

Scientific evidence has a functional definition so that deniers cannot claim "you have no evidence". If you want to go through the exercise I am willing to do so, again. I can prove that there is scientific evidence that supports the theory of evolution and no scientific evidence supports creationism. And, the lack of evidence supporting creationism is not the fault of evolutionists, it is the fault of creationists.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#62629 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Who knows really? Let's just bury the hatchet. I mean hatch the eggs.
We *DO* really know....with an extraordinary high degree of confidence. Dinosaurs laid eggs long before the first bird appeared on the scene.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#62630 Dec 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
Ok. Concentrate. I'm looking at the stock market tomorrow. What are the outcomes?
Summer doldrums are not going away fast. Unfortunately, the stock market is not always predictable like the seasons. Only the front runners know first when it’s going to be hawkish or dovish. I’d rather catch a fish. At least I have something to eat for dinner rather than wait for a dead cat to bounce! Glad I didn't eat that turkey for thanksgiving.

Know what I'm saying? hehe.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#62632 Dec 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
Ok. Concentrate. I'm looking at the stock market tomorrow. What are the outcomes?
What!? You didn't notice the evil laughter?

You don't ask someone who laughs evilly for practical information. He may give you the right information or even the wrong information on purpose. Whichever will lead you further astray is what you will get, and you won't know until it is too late.

Mua Ha>>> urk. Choked on my morning granola and yogurt.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#62633 Dec 3, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on what you mean by "real evidence". There is plenty, in fact more than enough scientific evidence to make if obvious that evolution is a fact. There is as much evidence for the theory of evolution as there is for the theory of gravity. Is gravity a fact? There is as much evidence for evolution, in fact probably more, as there is for the germ theory. Is it a fact that germs cause disease?
Scientific evidence has a functional definition so that deniers cannot claim "you have no evidence". If you want to go through the exercise I am willing to do so, again. I can prove that there is scientific evidence that supports the theory of evolution and no scientific evidence supports creationism. And, the lack of evidence supporting creationism is not the fault of evolutionists, it is the fault of creationists.
I am looking for evidence in DNA.

What happened to our reptilian skin? Hmm maybe humanoid species are real. lol.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#62634 Dec 3, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What!? You didn't notice the evil laughter?
You don't ask someone who laughs evilly for practical information. He may give you the right information or even the wrong information on purpose. Whichever will lead you further astray is what you will get, and you won't know until it is too late.
Mua Ha>>> urk. Choked on my morning granola and yogurt.
Abduction Zone, you are right. I bet The Star Wars Explosion is as entertaining as the Cambrian Explosion.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#62635 Dec 3, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
We *DO* really know....with an extraordinary high degree of confidence. Dinosaurs laid eggs long before the first bird appeared on the scene.
And you know exactly the first bird that appeared on the scene?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#62636 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I am looking for evidence in DNA.
What happened to our reptilian skin? Hmm maybe humanoid species are real. lol.
Why does that concern you? That is a relatively small concern.

The study of evolution is an ongoing process. We don't have all of the answers yet, but we don't need them.

You are not being consistent, you wanted evidence that evolution happened, now you are starting to demand answers for everything. That is both unreasonable and dishonest. Did you ask your last boyfriend every detail about his prior sex life? How long he lasted in the sack in every encounter? I could get more specific, but hopefully you see my point. Sooner or later you have to decide if something is true or not dependent on limited information. You can know that something is true without knowing every last little detail.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#62637 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know exactly the first bird that appeared on the scene?
"Exactly"?

It would depend upon what you called a "bird".

Archaeopteryx was for the last few years considered the first bird, but it appears that it is now under some doubt as to whether or not it is a bird or a reptile. Xiaotingia zhengi, is a more recent find, both fossils date to about 161 to 145 million years ago.

Google either for more information.

There is very little doubt that reptiles/dinosaurs and birds are closely related ("evolved"), it's the details science is working on.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#62638 Dec 3, 2012
And to add to Kong's post. There is no "first bird". Species morph so gradually from one into another that there is no boundary. There is not point where you can definitely say "this is a bird and this is a dinosaur".

So demanding to know where the first bird was is again a request that shows you do not understand the theory of evolution.
Orriapa paquia

Lubbock, TX

#62639 Dec 3, 2012
Subduction Zone:

The basic premace of evolution cannot explain or reaches its end a the cellular level. It cannot explain how the first cell replicated ie how did DNA evolve into DNA as it is a superbly complex structure. If you cannot explain how DNA came about how can you explain evolution?

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

New Milton, UK

#62640 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The bible is a book of historical truth.
Its word are still relevant to date...
Er, no it isn't. It is a book of faith. What it is demonstratably not is a history book, truthful or not. Too much of it has been disproved for it to be that. Why post this when by pointing to both Jericho and Noah (to pick two well-known examples from many), it can be shown to be untrue. I have no desire to beliettle your faith, but posting this type of rubbish is not going to persuade on person on here that you have a clear perception of what the bible is.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Level 5

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#62641 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but I pay tax.
I don't know how I passed physiology when I studied pharmacology, lol. I also bought a book on bioinformatics when I thought about majoring in that field. I learned about genetic code ACTG and thought maybe study ACCTG. lol.
Give it up. We can talk about it all day, in the end you won't be able to provide real evidence.
You haven't asked for evidence. To date, you've just made a lot of rather ignorant claims.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#62642 Dec 3, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does that concern you? That is a relatively small concern.
The study of evolution is an ongoing process. We don't have all of the answers yet, but we don't need them.
You are not being consistent, you wanted evidence that evolution happened, now you are starting to demand answers for everything. That is both unreasonable and dishonest. Did you ask your last boyfriend every detail about his prior sex life? How long he lasted in the sack in every encounter? I could get more specific, but hopefully you see my point. Sooner or later you have to decide if something is true or not dependent on limited information. You can know that something is true without knowing every last little detail.
Why does it concern me? Because we need to know more about our DNA and understand how organisms evolve before claiming TOE is a fact. I don't ask about someone's sex life in detail. I just find out. LOL. I know a bird when I see one. hahaha!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 10 min SweLL GirL 16,255
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 15 min SweLL GirL 10,049
When you look out your window, what do you see? (Aug '08) 58 min Lifelover 1,845
News Legless man keys car in Walmart handicapped space (Aug '09) 1 hr chris 150
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 1 hr swampmudd 1,315
Who Are You Missing Today? (Feb '12) 1 hr Lifelover 378
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 2 hr Lifelover 2,309
Back In The Day ... for the third time! 2 hr wichita-rick 246
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr Enzo49 71,156
A to Z songs by title or group! 2 hr Lifelover 980
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr wichita-rick 211,402
More from around the web