Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222920 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Nov 12

Raymond, Canada

#62563 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is a belief in something, not yet seen, that positive beliefs can change any thing un real to become real.
Even if we concede the point, this changing of the un-real to the real seems to happen so rarely that we certainly don't bother to build it into our technology. Shame about how hard it is to make it work, because it could be used to make a really handy light switch for the kitchen or bathroom.

Since: Nov 12

Raymond, Canada

#62564 Dec 3, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And you expand faith it into the realm of magic is you believe that wishing something can make it real
I don't think wishing something is the same as faithing something. I imagine that those who are able to conjure up a faith in something have a very atrophied ability to wish something. No point wishing when you have just faith it up...:-)

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#62565 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Likewise.
Just a simple word for people like you.
Faith goes beyond every thing. It is a positive belief in oneself.
Belief in oneself does not make things real or factual or that things will change because you believe. All it means is that you have a dream and are very often willing to delude yourself for the sake of a dream.
60s chic

Allentown, PA

#62566 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse my sarcasm. The problem is a theory is a theory and a myth is a myth. Think outside the box.
You're excused, lol. I get it. Perhaps I was being the sarcastic one, but not intentionally. I do lean heavily towards evolution. Who knows, maybe a supreme being created us the only way he knew how - through evolution. Sounds absurd and I'm just grabbing at straws, but Charles would probably agree since he believes solely in creation. It sounds better then how my father once explained my creation,- a cookie jar. Can you believe that? I'm not kidding. Of course I use to believe in Santa Claus and the Boogie man, lol.

Level 6

#62567 Dec 3, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think wishing something is the same as faithing something. I imagine that those who are able to conjure up a faith in something have a very atrophied ability to wish something. No point wishing when you have just faith it up...:-)
It’s more or less the same thing, only the tense has changed

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#62568 Dec 3, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
It happens a Lot.
Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are!
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#62569 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you see how strange it is that we have morphed from fishes to amphibians to reptiles to mammals even if it happened in a span of millions of years?
Actually, no I don't see anything strange.

In the Permian period, about 275 million years ago, the first Therapsids evolved, some of which branched to become the Cynodonts which in turn branched into the first mammals. Other than the mammals, no other species in these Clades exist today so you won't find too much of a regular transition demonstrated in the existing species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapsid
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#62570 Dec 3, 2012
60s chic wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, oh I know. It's futile to argue about religion anyway. We're all opinionated to some degree. I gave up mainstream religion a long time ago; too many hypocrites in my church who didn't practice what they preached. I have nothing against anyone practicing a religion or what they choose to believe, though, nor am I'm trying to imply I'm an atheist either. Charles is only exercising his free speech right and it's interesting to get into the mix. He's not going to completely agree with everything I say, anymore than I am with him. I like reading what he has to say though and he's probably a very decent man, too. If everyone were the same or thought exactly alike, it would be a very boring world.
That was kind of my attitude at first too. But Charles is a snake-oil salesman. When he's losing a debate, he starts debating completely irrelevant issues. He's not interested in truth. He's posing for the camera and claiming that he wins discussions by "faith" when in reality, people just get bored silly with his wandering rants.

But hey, I'm not the forum policeman. You can see for yourself. I've been digging around to see if any of the Creationists have any more transcendent arguments than a literal translation of the Bible but so far, nothing.

You seem to get three types here. You get the reactionary conservatives who are actually stealthing in bigoted conservative politics. Generally, they're all stereotypical reactionaries who blame the minorities for living off of the gubermint. You'll see a few social-misfit optimists who don't hang around long because people don't like it when they get preachy. Finally, you have a group of scarey, messianic wannabees, which Charles is definitely part of.

Personally, if there were a group I'd be interested in hearing from it would be the Jesuits, but I don't think they even deny Evolution.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Santa Fe, NM

#62571 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> A simple answer to you. You or any one else can not fight God.
Go on with your potty mouth.(Shrug).
It is no surprise you are too much a wimp to fight with God.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#62572 Dec 3, 2012
60s chic wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you 100% positively sure of that? Have you ever seen or talked to them, other than what you've read in the Bible? We know that Jesus was a real person. There's evidence to support it. I associate evil with doing bad things, not Satan. It is man's nature to either do bad things or good things and he alone is responsible for that. Of course I've often heard someone say that the devil made them do it - NOT!
I think this is a matter of opinion.
It could Satan or it could also be the person's fault.

“First it steals your mind..”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#62573 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
In theory, it could work. It doesn't matter how related we are to Pongo or New World Monkeys. I could say that we are also related to bananas.
Whether we were created or genetically engineered, we don't know. But my point here is, there is no evidence for TOE or creation.
Erm... Best you rephrase that.

WE know.

You don't.

Level 2

Location hidden

#62574 Dec 3, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore is it NOT fact
And you expand faith it into the realm of magic is you believe that wishing something can make it real
Just because you are incapable of accepting that FACT is not the same as FAITH does not mean that thy are the same it just means that you are stupid
You don't have clue. Your clues are nothing, but insults.

Level 2

Location hidden

#62575 Dec 3, 2012
AustinHook wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if we concede the point, this changing of the un-real to the real seems to happen so rarely that we certainly don't bother to build it into our technology. Shame about how hard it is to make it work, because it could be used to make a really handy light switch for the kitchen or bathroom.
Hmmm.

Level 2

Location hidden

#62576 Dec 3, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief in oneself does not make things real or factual or that things will change because you believe. All it means is that you have a dream and are very often willing to delude yourself for the sake of a dream.
It was faith that led the inventors to come up with their inventions.

Level 6

#62577 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You don't have clue. Your clues are nothing, but insults.
I have given you facts and you have insulted me and without any corroborating evidence you have denied those facts why? Because you can’t actually prove those facts wrong but feel the good christian need to hurt your opponent

I have shown you that the words “faith” and “fact” are different words with different meanings and you have done nothing but act with incredulity and moan and spout irrelevancies and lies and name call because you have nothing to prove me wrong

You complain about people offering you insults when you accuse people you do not know of heinous crimes, you complain about people offering you insults when you falsely accuse people you do not know of lying simply because their statement goes against you faith. Why are you such a pathetic two faced moron?

Honey when you have EVIDENCE that faith and fact are one and the same the feel free to come back and try again, until then you have nothing but your own belief and you own belief is not worth squat

Since: Sep 12

Dallas, TX

#62578 Dec 3, 2012
NikkiShae wrote:
<quoted text>"I don't know" is pretty much equal to "I gave up". Imagine that world where scientist just gave up.
Than why not "we don't know yet" I do think this would save a lot of time in txt.

Level 6

#62579 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> It was faith that led the inventors to come up with their inventions.
Nope, it was thought, ingenuity, intelligence and perseverance, and the ability to understand a problem and postulate a solution to that problem. The faith came after the invention, the faith that you solution is what is actually required to address the problem, that is the nature of (at least) human thought.

To assume that inventions are faith based is to deny and decry the ingenuity of humanity

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#62580 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
I don't understand TOE because it doesn't make any sense.
What part of it doesn't make sense to you?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#62581 Dec 3, 2012
Cybele wrote:
Don't you see how strange it is that we have morphed from fishes to amphibians to reptiles to mammals even if it happened in a span of millions of years?
Hundreds of millions of years, actually.

And this is strange to you, why?
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#62583 Dec 3, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You don't have clue. Your clues are nothing, but insults.
Your faith is nothing but denial.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 5 min Junket 84,132
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 9 min Denny CranesPlace 28,975
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 14 min grace f a l l e n 224,462
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 26 min Rose_NoHo 38,595
Words "with more than one meaning" (Sep '12) 39 min Camilla 1,342
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. (Oct '16) 43 min -TheExam- 3,852
~`*`~ Create a sentence using the 'letters' of ... (Oct '12) 49 min -TheExam- 4,240
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 2 hr SweLL GirL 8,749
What's your tip for the day? (Jul '14) 3 hr Parden Pard 2,522
Veterans and Trump 4 hr Roger 23
More from around the web