Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222780 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Sep 12

United States

#62399 Dec 2, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>Any exercise is better the nothing. I own a business that sels bikes and fitness equipment. So sick of seeing fat slobs and lazy weak people.
All people have weakness this is not theory it is truth. Once we accept our weakness we can work to make it strength. I have an addictive personality it would be easy for me to slip back into alcohol or drugs but I have turned my weakness into strength by keeping myself busy always working when I want alcohol I build a shelf or paint hang dry wall. I pray for strength to stay clean and I have not had a drop in 5 years now.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#62400 Dec 2, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
The atheist argue their is no God
I'm an atheist, but I'm not arguing that.

I simply lack theistic belief.

Do you have any evidence that supports theistic belief?

Tampa, FL

#62401 Dec 2, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
Also I did try to find how non living matter magically came alive cant find it.
Who says that it was "magic"?

But if you'd like a good summary of what science *has* learned about the origin of life, you could start by reading this:

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2008/07/what-...

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#62402 Dec 2, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What faith? Are you throwing random words together again?
Technology is a results based realm, it's not faith, it requires that things be fully tested, and must result in the same responses every single time, no faith at all. You don't "guess" something is going to work, throw it together, and have faith it will work, that's not technology, and technology would have never seen advances if that was how it was done.
Do you think Thomas Edison just woke up on morning with the design for the light bulb and built it because he had faith it would work? No, he had an idea, tested various elements, found ones that worked, discarded those elements which failed, and eventually, after a ton of work, arranged the elements in a manner that produced a light bulb. He didn't need "faith" to know it would work, he knew it would work because he tested it as he developed it, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten a design at all.
No. The very science you are talking about is an act of faith. Initially there were nothing like science.
So, before any results, faith must be applied.

Tampa, FL

#62403 Dec 2, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
The bible is historically accurate
It is?

Where's the historical evidence for that exodus, again?

Tampa, FL

#62404 Dec 2, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
Israelites were not a nation at that time when they were in Egypt, of course they couldn't record Israel, because they have gone away, and became a nation when they are far away from Egypt, out for their reach and not recordable.
The Egyptians had no way to record several million people leaving Egypt all at once?

Seriously?

Level 2

Location hidden

#62405 Dec 2, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You think science is an object? Wow, are you ever clueless. Science is a method of testing the universe and learning. Do hammers function on their own? Do hammers exist without humans? I hope you know the answer.
That means of using that method, is just an act of faith, because faith is a belief in something, not yet seen.
Science and technology is an act of faith.

Level 2

Location hidden

#62406 Dec 2, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I tell you what, you get to be CEO of a major corporation and try and sell your board of directors on the idea that you are going to guide company on faith. See where that gets you.
Or maybe you should become a paratrooper and tell the top brass your idea of jumping from planes with faith instead of a parachute. You will make a big impact with your idea.
Then you don't know the meaning of faith.
Faith is a positive belief that one has in a particular thing.
If the CEO has a positive beliefs, his or her subbordinate will follow suit.

Level 2

Location hidden

#62407 Dec 2, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You have a book called Megalomania and are proud of that?
Irony( opposite).

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#62408 Dec 2, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Then you don't know the meaning of faith.
Faith is a positive belief that one has in a particular thing.
If the CEO has a positive beliefs, his or her subbordinate will follow suit.
If a CEO believes that he should have his company sell slave shackles instead of what they are making I a sure no one will follow him... Like slaves shackles religion is a old out of date ideal.

Level 2

Location hidden

#62409 Dec 2, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Really?
From a totally objective viewpoint, this world might be claimed to belong to cereal grains.
They cover much more of the planet than any other life form, consume more resources, and have successfully domesticated other life forms to assure that they continue to spread and reproduce in a protected environment.
So, going by your deluded premise, plants are the presidents, kings, or queens of each world nations?
Think twice.

United States

#62410 Dec 2, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>Who says that it was "magic"?

But if you'd like a good summary of what science *has* learned about the origin of life, you could start by reading this:

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2008/07/what-...
So the answer is " we don't know"

Level 2

Location hidden

#62411 Dec 2, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I am telling you that you have a messed up and completely backward understanding of reality.
The lightbulb was the result of an idea (not faith), experimented with thousands of times (not faith) until the best possible one at the time was found (not faith).
Now if you are broadening the definition of faith from just religious faith to include belief in oneself, others, etc., then you are being disengenuous. That would be claiming victory for religious faith using the evidence of victory for something else. Much like you often do.
Charles, you never cease to amaze me. You are one of the few people I have seen use nonsense so passionately to support ideas you can't even articulate.
In summary, i am telling you that faith cut accross all areas. It is not limited to religion.
It is a God given beliefs, though some people will hate to hear that.

United States

#62412 Dec 2, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>The Egyptians had no way to record several million people leaving Egypt all at once?

Seriously?
Why would they after having the God of the slaves gank your plague your lands kill your children and drown your king and his army. Please tell me why anyone would write that down?

“too hard to handle”

Level 4

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#62413 Dec 2, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
It is?
Where's the historical evidence for that exodus, again?
I'll provide it.

The problem is that with every incidence of slavery of a conquered nation, the victorious nation made every attempt to eradicate the enslaved peoples identity and belongings, thier existence, from the face of the planet. hier public documents would only use a derisive name or no name at all.

They distroyed everything about the conquered nation out of security concerns. They burned houses, etc. That makes it hard to find anything about the exodus.

There is some remaining evidence of the event. Gotta look for it and I'll get back to you.

Level 2

Location hidden

#62414 Dec 2, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So what is keeping frogs alive, meerkats, creosote bushes, ants, that slime mold that looks like dog vomit? Are you telling me they have faith?
Regardless, it is not a necessary component of science or technology.
So I am being kept alive by faith? Not by cellular respiration, a functioning heart, food, water, oxygen, clothing and the occassional roll in the hay? OK that last one maybe more of a quality of life thing, but it is worth mentioning.
If you bombard me with every disease known to man, take away my oxygen, food, water, etc., I can still survive on faith alone?
You are one extremely optimistic, but confused individual.
Your problems are nothing but ignorance.
God created the earth for many purposes, one of them is existence, etc.
Think!

Level 2

Location hidden

#62415 Dec 2, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever you say Charles. A happy fool knows not his own foolishness.
I am only expansiating on your narrow-mindedness.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#62416 Dec 2, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
So the answer is " we don't know"
Better answer is: "We don't know.....YET."

Level 2

Location hidden

#62417 Dec 2, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I have just explained a buttload for having no understanding. Of course coming from you that might mean I do understand, it is hard to interpret much of what you post.
I thought you said without faith there is no science? Can you stick to one outrageous claim at a time.
One thing can lead to many other things.
Physics, Mathematics, etc, are all brances of science that has several topics each.

Level 2

Location hidden

#62418 Dec 2, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You better consult with Charles, he is our resident expert on the ownership of language. He is deeply in debt to the Gibbers for his use of gibberish on this forum. He probably knows the current rates.
Every one knows where French, German, Latin, Greek, Spanish, etc, started from.
English should never be, a subject of debate. It started in England.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr grace f a l l e n 223,410
Phrases that you don't hear very often (Nov '11) 2 hr Tunes from the Crypt 781
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 3 hr 8541 MARINE 27,381
Let's Play Song Titles With Only Three Words,... (Dec '13) 4 hr wichita-rick 705
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 hr wichita-rick 24,566
News Weird 7 mins ago 7:30 p.m.Tractor-trailer makes... 5 hr Xstain Spot Remover 3
News Weird 3 hour ago 10:29 a.m.FEMA tweets wrong nu... 5 hr Xstain Spot Remover 7
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 9 hr Poo Bears 6,064
Things that make life eaiser... (Apr '15) 9 hr TheJerseyDevil 969
What's your tip for the day? (Jul '14) 10 hr a_visitor 2,346
More from around the web