Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Sep 12

United States

#61182 Nov 26, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>No they don't. That's why it's called FAITH. If they had first hand knowledge of God it would simply be called KNOWLEDGE.

Fact of the matter is that no-one on Earth knows jack about God any more than anyone else does. And that's assuming that such an entity exists in the first place.

Bat Foy wrote, "Where people of science have faith in some real "smart" guy had an idea ok an educated guess but its still a guess."

And then those guesses are tested via the scientific method. When they start making successful predictions they become more than mere "guesses" and are the formation of a valid scientific theory. Kinda like gravity.

Bat Foy wrote, "When the bottom line is creos are waiting for the evos to just say "I really don't know how it all came about" and lets face it evos have an idea but they do not know. It is your faith in the collective knowledge of people smarter than you coming up with a claim they know but they really don't know either. No one knows the real process of the beginning. You think it is evolution and you guys think a lot."

No, evolution is not the beginning, not by a LONG shot. Evolution occurs only when there is life. Which has only been around these parts for 8-9 billion years AFTER the beginning of the universe.

But yes, we think a lot. Thinking is a GOOD thing. Thinking was banned by God, at least if one takes the Genesis story literally. Some are daft enough to do just that.

Bat Foy wrote, " Come off your pride and vanity accept that no one alive knows where it all started and accept the what if their was a creator."

Science accepts the "what if". It's just there is simply no scientific evidence for it yet. It is pride and vanity which causes ardent theists to demand people take their baseless claims seriously, despite the fact they are in no position at all to make such claims.
Ok lets go there most people have never see 100 million dollars so it isn't real? How many prayers have to be answered in order for God to be real to you? Prove to me their is no God. For that matter prove to me no tooth fairy. Is this beyond your power? Most people will never stand on the moon is it there or is it fake?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#61183 Nov 26, 2012
Constitution-lover wrote:
To all you non-believers I say that is your choice. I wont cendem you or call you names or say bad things about you. I ony ask this....WHAT IF YOUR WORNG? Imagine if God is real and you dont follow him and you do end up in the hell of the Bible??? How is living a good life and being good and believeing in God gonna hurt your daily life?
And what if you are wrong, or as you so aptly put it "WORNG"?

What if the real god is Allah, or Zeus, or best of all the Flying Spaghetti Monster? What is your evidence that beats these other religions? They all have holy books too. All of their books say that their god is real and others are not, well the Greeks did throw in a few extra gods, but yours was not included.

All religions say they are right and that the others are wrong. How do you pick one over the other? What if the only thing that religions get right is that all of the other religions are wrong?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#61184 Nov 26, 2012
<quoted text>
My life is full I have made a good living and raised 4 great kids and taken many trips and seen many greta things. I also look forward to life after this one...All you in your mind have is this life and that is sad. Oh and yes what we DO here is not important really. As long as we worship and believe in God we will have all of eternity in heaven. Life here is short 100 years at most....ETERNITY IS BILLIONS OF TRILLIONS OF YEARS TIMES A TRILLION.

Again, this is an assertion. You have not backed anything up with evidence.

Claiming assertions are facts is dishonest. At least that is what I assert.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#61186 Nov 26, 2012
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, if you do not have anything intelligent to say the logical thing to do is keep quite!
Keep quite what?

And whose "aides" where you talking about by the way?
MazHere wrote:
Either you can mount an appropraitely supported and articulated refute or you can offer woffle. The latter you have provided demonstrates you are an empty waste of space on a debating forum.
Really now. Because you've avoided the posts where I made valid posts and responded to a generic post instead only to engage me with ad-hom. In the meantime I have successfully demonstrated that the vast majority of your posts require dishonest behaviour on your part and are replete with quite flagrant contradictions because of this. Aside from the monumentally massive fundamentalist ego fueling your pride and quite possibly being the greatest source of mass for planet Earth itself it has caused you to overlook those "minor" problems, most likely because it's all easily fixed with a liberal application of Jewmagic anyway.(shrug)

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#61187 Nov 26, 2012
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, if you do not have anything intelligent to say the logical thing to do is keep quite!
Either you can mount an appropraitely supported and articulated refute or you can offer woffle. The latter you have provided demonstrates you are an empty waste of space on a debating forum.

Translation: Dude owns me and I cannot put forth a reasoned argument in response to his post.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#61188 Nov 26, 2012
To all you non-believers I say that is your choice. I wont cendem you or call you names or say bad things about you. I ony ask this....WHAT IF YOUR WORNG? Imagine if God is real and you dont follow him and you do end up in the hell of the Bible??? How is living a good life and being good and believeing in God gonna hurt your daily life?
It's probably not.(shrug)

How is living a good life and believing in Zeus gonna hurt your daily life?

It's probably not either.

As for our eternal souls, people here have already pointed out the error of Pascal's wager, that your particular god is only one of THOUSANDS invoked by humanity over the millenia. Each being just as viable as each other so far as can be objectively determined. And each will tell you to "open your heart", but as we've already pointed out this only leads to imminent body-death.

However us "mean old Darwinists" aren't here to poopoo your god. There's the atheism forum for that. Us mean old Darwinists are here to correct the lies spewed by hell-bound liars for Jesus such as MazHere and Bohart, etc.

Maybe there is a God.

But if there is, it's unlikely to be anything like the petty imaginations offered up by anybody here.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#61189 Nov 26, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
The church is guilty of many many sins. Every man is right in his own eyes. This is why I don't tell people to listen to me or believe as I do or you'll be condemned to hell. Read the bible and find truth. If you read it and can't find truth than stop reading it. The words of Christ were good even if you don't believe in God he taught a good lesson we can all learn from.
There are some good parts in there, I agree. It's fundamentalist (semi) literalism which is dangerous. Which is why some parts of the Middle East is how it is. That's what Maz wants for him and his children - the right and power to say the Almighty agrees with him. And woe betide any who disagree...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#61190 Nov 26, 2012
<quoted text>
My life is full I have made a good living and raised 4 great kids and taken many trips and seen many greta things. I also look forward to life after this one...All you in your mind have is this life and that is sad. Oh and yes what we DO here is not important really. As long as we worship and believe in God we will have all of eternity in heaven. Life here is short 100 years at most....ETERNITY IS BILLIONS OF TRILLIONS OF YEARS TIMES A TRILLION.
Yet when you die, you will be forgotten, that's what frightens you. So you need something else to give you a purpose, no matter how much of a lie it is, no matter how shallow and weak that "purpose" is.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#61191 Nov 26, 2012
Dogen wrote:
First of all Dude was way out of line when he compared you to Jenny McCarthy. Obviously you are not the beginnings of a pimple on Jenny's cute little hiny. In spite of her wacko views Jenny has brought lots of attention and even more money to real autism research.
... I suppose there is that...

I may have been somewhat premature in assigning that particular term of affection.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#61192 Nov 26, 2012
ETERNITY IS BILLIONS OF TRILLIONS OF YEARS TIMES A TRILLION.
Um... no it isn't.

Why is it so many people think eternity is just a really really long time...?

:-/

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#61193 Nov 26, 2012
What I dont get is that being a Christian is easy and it is all about leading a good life. Nothing about being a Christian will harm you or hurt you in any way. Following Gods word is good for you and will bring you joy and happiness. Being a Christian is easy and means freedom for eternity. WHY DONT PEOPLE DO IT....
Tell me how does being a Christian hurt anyone?
Oh, the stories that could be told.

The biggest problem with being a Christian is that you have to suspend your disbelief and keep a firm grip on your innate logic and sense of what is, or is not, bullsh!t.

Despite all the creationism crap about evolution that is posted on these forums, every scientific organization on the planet knows it's true and support it. Also to be considered is that ALL other sciences that somehow impinge on religion, and the Bible are NOT supporting religion, but are actively disproving it day by day.

You write:
"Tell me how does being a Christian hurt anyone?"

Well, in today's world there are people being killed in a number of third world countries in the name of God and Allah. Not long ago the Pope told followers in Africa that they should NOT use condoms to protect from AIDS...this pretty much guarantees more deaths from that plague.

In years past the Protestants and Catholics have fought big wars against each other and the death tolls were pretty huge.

Of course in the real olden days the church was killing people for heresy, blasphemy and assorted other 'sins' against God, and burning witches. Many hundreds of thousands of women were lost in the Dark and Middle ages. It wasn't until the 1800's that the churches lost the power of death against people.

Nowadays we are balancing on the edge of Armageddon as the Muslims and Christians line up to fulfill their obligation to God and Allah.

Did you know that in the early days of Europe's discovery of North and South Americas the Christians were taking Indian/native American children and baptizing them and then bashing their heads against the rocks??

Where in the Bible does it have words to encourage this evil practice?? What kind of 'loving' God lets this go on?? All of this only makes sense if there is no God.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#61194 Nov 26, 2012
lisawow wrote:
<quoted text>As spokesperson for the local ignorant goatherders union, can I just say......... sorry for all the confusion, it was just a bit of fun and we didn't think anyone would actually believe it let alone base a religion around it...goatherding isn't all it's cracked up to be, believe it or not but, it can get a wee bit boring now and then and it's not like the fellas are averse to having a drink or two or three and well.......let's just say things got out of hand.........our apologies again
Well just make sure it doesn't happen again!

And remember next time herd sheep. Goat horns can be dangerous!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#61195 Nov 26, 2012
<quoted text>
I am not wrong as far as my heart tells me and as far as the Bible tells me. Those man made Gods are not real. God of the Bible is the one and only true God.
Unless it is also man-made, which is quite likely considering the errors of the Bible (notice you did not dispute them and did not attempt to even debate it since I'm sure even you are aware that if taken literally the Bible will get you - not me - into trouble).

Meaning therefore (a) God may not even exist. Or if it does it's quite likely nothing like how you thought it was.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#61196 Nov 26, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
To be fair, Wolvie says he shot AT Bigfoot...... or something like that.
Ironically he in effect admitted to being a bad hunter.

A good hunter knows what he is shooting at and hits it. I used to hunt and was a mediocre hunter, but I still hit my target 90% of the time. I remember my best shot and my worst shot.

Woofy broke several rules in his shooting at Bigfoot. Luckily for him he is as bad of a shot as he is a hunter.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#61197 Nov 26, 2012
<quoted text>
I am not wrong as far as my heart tells me and as far as the Bible tells me. Those man made Gods are not real. God of the Bible is the one and only true God.
All gods are man made.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#61198 Nov 26, 2012
Well it is my wifes birthday today. I am gonna take her out for nice meal at the country club. I wish you all Gods love and hope to thsoe of you who dont believe that God touched your eharta nd opens your mind to his love and holy word. Peace and Gods love to you all.
Happy Birthday to her! Enjoy your dinner. Don't forget the roses!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#61199 Nov 26, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
To be fair, Wolvie says he shot AT Bigfoot...... or something like that.
Come on, if we're gonna go for outrageous stories let's embellish 'em properly! He shot AT Bigfoot, then carried his sorry ape-carcass back home and proceeded to turn it into a shagpile rug (the adventures of which are CERTAINLY too risque for this forum, let's just say that the rug remains anatomically intact and leave it at that). Oh, and it's fitted with flashing red LED eyes and a bell noise when...

never mind.

Anyway, that rug really tied the room together.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#61200 Nov 26, 2012
WHAT IF YOUR WORNG? Imagine if God is real and you dont follow him and you do end up in the hell of the Bible??? How is living a good life and being good and believeing in God gonna hurt your daily life?
Already fully addressed here:

&fe ature=plcp

Since: Sep 12

United States

#61201 Nov 26, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>You missed the point entirely. Any scientific fact is repeatable. You can go check them out for yourself if you want to. It will take you more than a lifetime of work to check all of the facts out there, but they can all be checked. We cannot go back and talk to a bush. Or to snakes, donkeys etc. to get confirmation on anything in the Bible.

Science is not faith based, it is fact based. If you doubt the facts you can go and check them out for yourself.
Ok so if you want me to prove the bible is a valid book that does have fact to it. We can play that game however I think you'll find it as frustrating as trying to herd cats. The book of Isaiah was written 700 yrs before Jesus and every prophecy he made of Jesus came to pass right down to none of his bones would be broken. When Romans hung people to a cross breaking the legs was just the thing to do. Yet not to Jesus they put a spear through his side instead. As of yet we are waiting for the last prophecy to come around and that is the second coming. Just so you know where I'm coming from here Isaiah made over 80 prophecies about the Christ that link to the book of mathew alone and they have all but one come to pass. Before you ask Jesus read about himself from the scroll of Isaiah while he was teaching in the temple. Btw Nostradumbass for every 1000 predictions he made 1 would come to pass sort of.

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#61202 Nov 26, 2012
Well I have to say you are very pleasant compared to the usual crowd of Christians that show up here. I certainly don't see you calling people names. My question is why does God send people to Hell if they don't believe in him?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (Jun '10) 1 min Mega Monster 27,314
Word Association (Mar '10) 1 min Mega Monster 17,033
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 min wichita-rick 161,488
News Good Samaritans who rescued trapped snake are s... 11 min Spotted Girl 3
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 12 min wichita-rick 853
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 14 min beatlesinafog 28,488
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 37 min wichita-rick 1,482
Things that make life eaiser... 1 hr wichita-rick 123
News Burger King Customer Arrested After Citing Movie 3 hr Barry 6
motorcycle traveling stories 3 hr Mega Monster 567