Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#59942 Nov 21, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
And angry. Like he was with the moneychangers in the temple.
And condescending at the point of contempt according to John when talking about Apostle Thomas. This speak more about John's relationship with Thomas than Jesus.
After all, the Gospel of Thomas was actively destroyed by the early Christian church as it didn't fit with what the early Christian leaders could use in their quest for power. And yet, they couldn't destroy every trace of that gospel.
This is a judgement from the wrong angle.
Jesus did that because they were turning the synagogue into a market place of gambling, etc.
For Thomas, no one is perfect, even you.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#59943 Nov 21, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is wrong. Hebrew is not the oldest language. Egyptian is 2,000 years older than Hebrew and even it is not the oldest language.
You love to spread lies that you make up with the help of your master.
For "written", I think Sumerian has it - but for spoken? I doubt anyone knows. Certainly not Hebrew, though.

Level 2

Location hidden

#59944 Nov 21, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, the argument from uncertainty. You weren't there to see it, so how can you know the truth?
Do you apply the same standard to your Biblical accounts?
You assume the Bible is pure because it's the word of god because it says so.
I'm guessing that the caretakers of the bible had a vested monetary/power interest means nothing to you.
Just like the tobacco industry "scientific" findings that smoking is good for you would be completely acceptable.
You are not there either so, you are not in that position or capacity to judge on what happened before your time.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#59945 Nov 21, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong Maz, the Christians believe that they have refuted the claims, but they do so by changing the translation. The Hebrews had a word for a sphere or a ball, they even used it in the Bible. Whenever the Earth was described they used the word for a flat circle. That indicates they thought the world was flat, not round. There are countless other errors too. For example there are failed prophecies, prophecies that were "fulfilled" after the fact (Christ's virgin birth for example, and that was due to a mistake in translation by the Greek writers of the New Testament), self contradiction. If the Bible was a "perfect" book it would have so many errors in it, whether they seem to be errors or if they are real.
The Bible is just a bunch of fairy tales told by goat herders. There are no great lessons there, the morality is horrendous, and it is rife with errors.
And wasn't the Messiah's name supposed to be Manny, and not Jesús?

Or something like that?

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#59946 Nov 21, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Science supports SOME scripture, but not much. Mostly today's science is disproving the Bible...you don't know it yet, but your Christian foundations are being removed as we speak.
Science rules my man, not religion, especially religion that is dead wrong. You're not keeping up...
Science wins.

Because it works.

Level 2

Location hidden

#59947 Nov 21, 2012
greymouser wrote:
You originally said: "One thing we must learn from the bible, is that, we should not attach much importance one particular person."
And I replied "Like Jesus?"
<quoted text>
I did not ask if Jesus rebelled.
My question was whether "we should not attach too much importance to one particular person" in the bible like Jesus.
Much importance is attached to his deeds, humility, faith, sacrifice, holiness and what have you. No one has ever achieved this feat, except Jesus Christ.

Level 2

Location hidden

#59948 Nov 21, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm, yeah. no.
Many Christians don't even know the history of the bible. And you certainly haven't demonstrated education in any discipline other than being Parsons in Orwell's 1984.
Before and after the death or demise of Sir Isaac Newton, the inventor and scientist, was he a christian, yes or no?

Level 2

Location hidden

#59949 Nov 21, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Science supports SOME scripture, but not much. Mostly today's science is disproving the Bible...you don't know it yet, but your Christian foundations are being removed as we speak.
Science rules my man, not religion, especially religion that is dead wrong. You're not keeping up...
That is your view or position. To your reality, you are wrong and wrong.

Level 2

Location hidden

#59950 Nov 21, 2012
Typo:
I meant, to reality, you are wrong and not to your reality, you are wrong...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#59951 Nov 21, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>That is your view or position. To your reality, you are wrong and wrong.
Hard to accept a dose of reality?

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#59952 Nov 21, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
Typo:
I meant, to reality, you are wrong and not to your reality, you are wrong...
I love it when you correct your so called "typos." Your revisions still don't make any sense. I don't even know why you do it.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#59953 Nov 21, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Before and after the death or demise of Sir Isaac Newton, the inventor and scientist, was he a christian, yes or no?
He was a heretic. He saw the truth that was setting him free from the imaginary cure to an imaginary disease.

Level 2

Location hidden

#59954 Nov 21, 2012
NikkiShae wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard to accept a dose of reality?
When you don't have one.

Level 2

Location hidden

#59955 Nov 21, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I love it when you correct your so called "typos." Your revisions still don't make any sense. I don't even know why you do it.
Back off!!!

Level 2

Location hidden

#59956 Nov 21, 2012
NikkiShae wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a heretic. He saw the truth that was setting him free from the imaginary cure to an imaginary disease.
Liar. That qualities is not far from you.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#59957 Nov 22, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>THINK! Is Assyria centered in Mesopotania and isn't the biblical land of Shinar in a plain in Mesopotania? Didn't the Assyrian empire hold the Canaanites captive for 100 years in the Caucasus mountains?
Language predates that

Level 5

#59958 Nov 22, 2012
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible has not been shown to be wrong many times at all. It is only cretins that want to mine quote and think they know it all that just such a thing.
Then show us a talking snake and donkey, please
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact the majority of the claims against the bible have been shown to be outdated.
So snakes started talking?
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
People laughed at the bibles suggestion that the moon was created after the earth. That was up until these bright ones found evidence that indeed the moon was created after the earth.
Nobody laughed at the suggestion. The moon was created after the earth and another planet collided
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Then there was all the woffle about how can plants live without sunlight. Of course it has been found that plants do not need sunlight and any source of energy can support life, including the light and energy produced at the creation.
So are you claiming that plants do not need sunlight?

Do you have roses? Plnt one in a pot and bring it into your house. Tell us what happens
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible spoke to a universal beginning before modern science. Genesis was the first to speak of what may be found in the fossil record beginning with earth, plants, animals then mankind. In fact the only two kinds that are out of order are birds and whales and the nested hierarchoes of these are a mess.
Wrong. You simply are uneducated. Bird evolution is very well understood. Whale evolution had a lineage falsified. We know a lot more today than 60 years ago.
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
I can present research, from evo researchers BTW, that have found bird footprints dated to 212mya and more than halfway back to the devonian
Rubbish. I know the 'research' you speak of and it is hogwash.
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
I can present research, from evo researchers, that date a recent basilosaurus to 49mya and predates Indohyus.
No, you can not
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Many biblical structures not accepted have been found. Parts of the NT have been found dated to the 1st century AD refuting a heck of a lot of the woffle the intelligencia and all their ramblings previously put forth.
So? Stephen King refers to the State of Maine a lot. Becuase Maine exists, you want to argue that his writings are factual?
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Homology is not more than pick a box of triats that suit. For over 150 years the bones in human wrists 'proved' mankind evolved from a knuckle walker. This was refuted on the back of one single fossil find in Ardi.
Wrong conclusion drawn
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
The same goes for dna comparisons.
Some organism had to be closer to man than another. Terms like deletions of huge chunks of genomic material, insertions, recombinations, multiplications, gentic and morphological homoplasy, convergent evolution etc etc, are all terms that speak to the vast differences between human and chimp dna. More recently it has been found that the expression differs by a whopping 80%.
Oh really?

The farther species are from us on the evolutionary tree, the farther the differ in terms of DNA comparisons. Do you wish to argue that this is coincidence?
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
The simple fact that bothers creationists is that evos are evotards when they suggest that TOE is supported by more than hand waving.
That's their (and your opinion). Luckily, we don't need their (nor your) opinion. We ignore it the same way we would ignore the opinions of a janitor, a crack whore, or a three year old child
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#59959 Nov 22, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Language predates that
The language of the Hebrews is distinct enough to be the oldest. Think outside of the box! It's all I'm asking...*HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE*

Level 5

#59960 Nov 22, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The language of the Hebrews is distinct enough to be the oldest. Think outside of the box! It's all I'm asking...*HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE*
"Distinct enough"?

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#59961 Nov 22, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
I believe the oldest language may be Hebrew and it was once known as the language of Canaan. One of the oldest writings in Hebrew is in that language and it is on the Moabite Stone. Babylon and the Assyrian empire played a great part in the history of ancient Hebrew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language...
Lists languages with written samples 2000 years before Hebrew, some few are

Seminarian
Egyptian
Hittite
Greek
Old Chinese

These excluded the proto literate Kish tablet from more than 2500 years before Hebrew writing and the evidence of the symbolic writing that dates back to the Neolithic Age

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_writi...

The Hebrew language did not begin to develop until early in the 1st millennium BC and the Moabite Stone is dated around 100 year later

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 8 min Old Sam 3,146
News The trooper fired at the motorcycle, and then d... 10 min TALLYHO 8541 53
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 11 min Jennifer Renee 10,690
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 13 min Crazy Jae 78,880
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 15 min Crazy Jae 9,743
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 16 min Crazy Jae 1,566
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 17 min Crazy Jae 7,794
motorcycle traveling stories 31 min ittybitty1 614
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 41 min Bill 18,173
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr CJ Rocker 161,275