Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 216597 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

heh

Saint Louis, MO

#59623 Nov 18, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Darwin said blacks are less evolved than whites and that the male brain was more evolved than the female.
I'd be interested in seeing the exact passage.
heh

Saint Louis, MO

#59624 Nov 18, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
Darwin said blacks are less evolved than whites and that the male brain was more evolved than the female.
You still haven't answered my questions. Where do dog breeds come from? Did God make them? Does the artificial selection of characteristics in dog breeding not produce variation the same as natural selection?
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#59625 Nov 18, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
He might have, considering the times he lived in, but I'd rather see the quote. It sound very sloppy to make either assumption as all of the subjects in question are of the same species.

That doesn't mean that you won't find that junk. I fully remember finding old books in my college that described blacks as a separate species. I'm fully aware that the idea was normal in the 1850's and earlier. OK, so the school wasn't too heavy into the sciences. They did have a lot of junk in their library.
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#59626 Nov 18, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, please learn how to speak English.
Second of all, this thread was not started by a professor, it was started by a creotard fundy who did not know what he was talking about. I was one of the people refuting him on a daily basis and eventually he ran away.
<quoted text>
You misunderstand what the claims about non-coding DNA were and are. DNA is proof of evolution for many reasons. On does not need to add non-coding to the list of proofs, but it does support evolution.
<quoted text>
That means 20% does not. It is astonishing that 20% of our DNA does not serve any purpose. Evolution would be expected to use up that free space beyond that point. I predict some of the remaining portions will eventually be found to have some function.
Of course creationism and ID would predict 100% functional DNA which we clearly do not see.
<quoted text>
This is exactly my point above. Unused portions of DNA will eventually find function exactly as the ToE predicts.
ERVs form a nested hierarchy which is another irrefutable evidence for evolution. There is no explanation for pattern of ERVs found other than evolutionary inherentance.
<quoted text>
Yes, and creationists were wrong as usual.
<quoted text>
We have no reason to get excited that science supports evolution. It always has, after all.
<quoted text>
LOL. Dream on.
<quoted text>
We do this. It is called "science".
<quoted text>
You have a lot of wind but it is all just your belief. While science has science. Science always wins.
You have done a good job supporting evolution. thank you for doing the obvious.
It is getting really old, refuting the same things to new batches of ignorant people. I still haven't seen an intelligent Creationist and I've decided that I'm not likely to.

For the most part, it's a question of scale. You can talk about ERVs but the scale of time, the rate of mutation and the size of the genes are the factors that give it legitimacy.

I think the Creationists here just don't like to think about large numbers and a lot of other people don't either. You can't convince them. They like to think they're touched by God because they go through meaningless rituals, kill animals and burn candles.

It's really just too big a waste of time. They're faith is in their mutual resentment of ivory tower thinkers who aren't distracted by rabble opinion. Everything else is just s-mist.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#59627 Nov 18, 2012
I fish wrote:
In a recent study of creation, by those not present, it was observed that Adam and Eve were created as mature adults and the conclusion was that the earth was created with some years of growth and evidence of age without the time involved to actually make science happy...if you will.
Where's it say that??

Adam and Eve never existed...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#59629 Nov 18, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not demand but why is it we find full sets of Dino remains and aren't finding thousands of prehuman remains. The reason we have black white and other colors of people is the environment required them to adapt but a black man is no less or more human than a white one. I'm not saying I want to see really old human fossils but the stage in evolution before human.

Dinosaurs were around for 165 million years. Depending on where you draw the line between human and prehuman, we have been around less that 2.5 million. Homo Sapiens MUCH less than that. That could explain the differences in the number of fossils found.

If you do want to see human fossils from early prehuman to modern forms then you might want to visit the Smithsonian museum of natural history.

An e-visit is a poor substitute but still worth the time.
http://humanorigins.si.edu/

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#59630 Nov 18, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
To say that I'm ignorant just because you're to much a mental midget to have a valid reply or even an educated argument is immature to say the least if you can't tell people why you believe what you do and debate your reasons in an adult way please do not reply to my posts.

I'm rubber and your glue.....

You don't need to be an expert to post here. Anyone can post here. But to open right up and spew creationist canards without checking out their factual validity reflects badly on you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#59631 Nov 18, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>

No, he didn't. Look up the citation. This is just a creationist lie.

“Eleanor, Where is your heart?!”

Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#59632 Nov 18, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's it say that??
Adam and Eve never existed...
Can you prove they didn't exist..like I can prove Cleopatra didn't exist?
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#59633 Nov 18, 2012
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeez! Another story teller.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#59634 Nov 18, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Fossil being the word I used not a fresh one. Also prehuman the "evolution" stage before modern man the "missing link" .
And that would be just as much of a fossil as "Lucy" was. From my readings it appears that they are finding actual bone fragments and not traditional fossils where most of the original material is replaced.

The bones they found of Lucy were only about 40% of the skeleton. Of course they have found quite a few others and some lone bones were able to be categorized by the finding of Lucy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australopithecus...

Between all of the fossils they now have a very good picture of what Australopithcus afarensis looked like.

So, if Lucy was just a pile of bones what is the difference between her and the fresh remains we could dig up today, except for a matter of time and evolution?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#59636 Nov 18, 2012
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>
It can be proven by archaeology and DNA that Homo-sapiens was wandering around Africa around 200,000 years ago.

It can be proven by DNA that our ancestors of around 40,000 BC were mating with Neanderthals.

It can be proven by DNA that most people alive today, except sub-Saharan Africans, carry a small percentage of Neanderthal genes/blood.

It can be proven by DNA that Neanderthals are related to the new kid on the block...Homo-Denisova.

This pretty much establishes a link to earlier Homo species such as Homo-erectus, Homo-habilis, Homo-heidelbergensis, etc., etc. We ARE in the great ape line.

There is no way these pre-humans fit in with the Adam and Eve myth.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#59637 Nov 18, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And that would be just as much of a fossil as "Lucy" was. From my readings it appears that they are finding actual bone fragments and not traditional fossils where most of the original material is replaced.
The bones they found of Lucy were only about 40% of the skeleton. Of course they have found quite a few others and some lone bones were able to be categorized by the finding of Lucy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australopithecus...
Between all of the fossils they now have a very good picture of what Australopithcus afarensis looked like.
So, if Lucy was just a pile of bones what is the difference between her and the fresh remains we could dig up today, except for a matter of time and evolution?

More important is Australopithecus Sediba it clearly shows transformation toward human.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Nehwon

#59638 Nov 18, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If God knew for sure what choices his creation would make, then why would he allow them to be tempted? THINK!
But did not god created lucifer knowing exactly what he would do?

Or are you suggesting that free will and succumbing to temptation can thwart god's divine plan?

Level 7

Nehwon

#59639 Nov 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> This same question can be likened to humans.
God created perfect creations, but no one knows what went wrong.
Why are you bringing humans into this?

The questions I had were concerning God creating Satan.

Did not God know what his own creation would do?
Or did god purposefully introduce such an evil into the world?

Level 7

Nehwon

#59640 Nov 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> No. When we sinned in the garden of Eden, the spirit of God left us, through Adam and Eve or the first human presence. By that, men began to know between good and bad, this is the reason why problem still persist.
Only if you take the Garden of Eden story literally. And now you have to come up with fanciful apologetics to try to explain inconsistencies with the Adam and Eve story.

Now if you think of the Garden of Eden story as a child to adult "coming of age" allegory, it's easier to understand.

Level 7

Nehwon

#59641 Nov 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> One thing we must learn from the bible, is that, we should not attach much importance one particular person. God did this to Lucifer(Satan), and look at the result, he was proud, and that pride, led to his rebellion.
Like Jesus?

Level 7

Nehwon

#59642 Nov 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
Much importance should not be attached to a single person. That could lead to pride, on the part of that person, and finally rebellion.
"Much importance should not be attached to a single person."

How about Jesus?

Level 7

Nehwon

#59643 Nov 18, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
My faith in God doesn't have me wallowing in doom and gloom. I don't fear God nor death. I do not hate your non believing as you loath my believing. I do think its an odd thing that so many people who think God is nothing more than myth like Santa spend so much time trying to prove he isn't there. Do you spend equal amounts of time trying to dis prove the tooth fairy? Or as much animosity toward children who believe in Santa? Maybe it is your guilt and fear that makes you feel you must. Now go come up with some witty way of telling me how I have it all wrong than insult me so I can once again reply.
Christianity via the Bible puts forth a version of god. Other religions put forth their versions.

Believe what you want.

Now when you use your Christian beliefs to be enacted into law is where we are going to differ.

You may think you are being righteous in forcing your beliefs upon me. I wish to continue my journey of discovery (free will and all that) without worry that I'm not mouthing the proper worship words in the right manner.

Level 7

Nehwon

#59644 Nov 18, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Since I have accepted Jesus into my heart and life, I have great hope and freedom in life now. It is the world that puts us in bondage, Jesus can make us free indeed.
Now here's the really big question...

Do you live your life as Jesus instructed or is just belief in Jesus enough to guarantee salvation?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 min Princess Hey 148,372
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 11 min Sam 66,968
News Weird substance discovered in new A 5 notes - a... 11 min Knock off purse s... 21
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. 14 min Princess Hey 1,544
Words "with more than one meaning" (Sep '12) 14 min Old Sam 504
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 22 min liam cul8r 1,446
How's your weather today? (Mar '12) 25 min Crazy Beautiful 6,007
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 40 min T Bone 206,689
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 1 hr John Schanahan 945
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 2 hr Suezanne 10,552
More from around the web