Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“I be me, and you are...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#54276 Oct 22, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Critiquing Charles grammar is necessary as he is not fluent enough to make himself understood half the time.
Where do you study that language? CC Grammer do they have a dictionary out yet?

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#54277 Oct 22, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Critiquing Charles grammar is necessary as he is not fluent enough to make himself understood half the time.
Bullshyt! We all know what he meant. How hard is it to decipher necessary from "nesessary"...etc.? Everybody makes typos, mine tend to be ilke where I meant like, but I try to edit those before hitting post comment.

Why don't you just admit that you enjoy demeaning people?

Level 6

in a city...

#54278 Oct 22, 2012
Hey did you post the clearify I ask about?

Level 6

in a city...

#54279 Oct 22, 2012
smoke break....

Location hidden

#54280 Oct 22, 2012
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
Educated ones?
Right of expressing one's speech patterns way of expressing one self trough the written word...THROUGH speaking funny too if one so wants to...
Are there Troll guards not guards controlling trolls?,now Now or what? Another backasswards way?
So why do you choose this way of communicating more than the usual way, i.e., the way most people write?

Hint: I've seen you post the "other" way. It was truly enlightening.

;)

“God of War”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#54281 Oct 22, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshyt! We all know what he meant. How hard is it to decipher necessary from "nesessary"...etc.? Everybody makes typos, mine tend to be ilke where I meant like, but I try to edit those before hitting post comment.
Charles is a boob without sporting one.
I think you are just empathetic towards belief but that's ok.
Or are you in the English is owned by England crowd?
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#54282 Oct 22, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it.
Put one in one hand and one in the other and see which weighs more. You can see for yourself.

Now, your idea of accuracy and your idea of proof may be a bit more relative than that.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#54283 Oct 22, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You know I meant that it never could have been created without mathematics.
Fundamentals? There will be no science after the last man has expired but the fundamentals of math will still exist at the quantum level.
The fundamentals of math will exist as long as our continuum exists. When 1 does not equal 1 anymore, then we'll have to adapt our way of thinking.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#54292 Oct 22, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Critiqued his grammar.
That's what trolls do.
Critique grammar or critique grammar incorrectly? It's too hard to count all of the mistakes. I make a bunch myself, but usually it's lousy proofreading with a tendency to make run-on sentences.

Some people here don't speak English as their primary language and they really say things incorrectly to the point of saying something other than what they intended. Even if they do say what they intend, they may be wrong so what can you do? Correct their grammar or some observation that seems downright silly?

I'm still trying to figure out if Charles is of the opinion that I think with my ears!
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#54293 Oct 22, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>So why do you choose this way of communicating more than the usual way, i.e., the way most people write?
Hint: I've seen you post the "other" way. It was truly enlightening.
;)
I think you may be reading into Tinka. It seems that she is German and makes quick posts from the library computers. She just isn't very good with English.

“God of War”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#54294 Oct 22, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you may be reading into Tinka. It seems that she is German and makes quick posts from the library computers. She just isn't very good with English.
Based on what evidence?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#54295 Oct 22, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>The fundamentals of math will exist as long as our continuum exists. When 1 does not equal 1 anymore, then we'll have to adapt our way of thinking.
1 does not always equal one. Sometimes 1 equals on. Sometimes one equals negative. Sometimes one equals everything. Sometimes 1 equals pi. Math is a language, and like all languages there are nuances.

Location hidden

#54296 Oct 22, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Charles is a boob without sporting one.
I think you are just empathetic towards belief but that's ok.
Or are you in the English is owned by England crowd?
You are clueless.

I don't care whether anyone is religious or not, but I am sick of seeing only one group censored. Do you really think the public hasn't noticed that only those who disagree with you are the ones who get banned and have their posts deleted?
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#54297 Oct 22, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Based on what evidence?
Her own testimony, for all that's worth. I'm sure we have plenty of alter-egos roaming Topix but Tinka doesn't seem to have much of a point to her postings, certainly not an election season point at least.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#54298 Oct 22, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshyt! We all know what he meant. How hard is it to decipher necessary from "nesessary"...etc.? Everybody makes typos, mine tend to be ilke where I meant like, but I try to edit those before hitting post comment.

Why are you demeaning me?

You clearly have not read enough of Charles' posts if you thing there is nothing wrong with him other than a little grammar.

I could, about grammar, less care.

What is with you today Nano. You typically are not this hostile. Or at least not this preemptively hostile.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#54299 Oct 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
1 does not always equal one. Sometimes 1 equals on. Sometimes one equals negative. Sometimes one equals everything. Sometimes 1 equals pi. Math is a language, and like all languages there are nuances.
Yes, that is in a programing context, but in terms of pure math, numbers would have no meaning if they are permanent variables.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#54300 Oct 22, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You are clueless.
I don't care whether anyone is religious or not, but I am sick of seeing only one group censored. Do you really think the public hasn't noticed that only those who disagree with you are the ones who get banned and have their posts deleted?

No one gets censored much around here. You got to say something truly offensive to get a post deleted and some people never get banned who desperately need to be.

Don't get paranoid on us Nano.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#54301 Oct 22, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You are clueless.
Is that so?

I haven't seen anyone get banned on Topix except for one or two extreme cases of perpetual off-topic verbal abuse. When I do see political prejudice, it seems to be in favor of the majority, and I don't see Topix as a haven for liberals.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#54304 Oct 22, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is in a programing context, but in terms of pure math, numbers would have no meaning if they are permanent variables.
No, that is in a scientific context. In terms of analog, 1 is "everything" and 0 is "nothing," all values between are often measured in floating point values on computers. In electronics 1 represents negative, or on, a bit confusing but a circuit that's "on" actually has negative electrons and a circuit that's "off" has none, so on is negative. In many of the spacial sciences, 1 is pi, meaning 1 is a 180 degree angle, though I don't think they actually use the notation, but the concept is that pi represents the whole and thus is considered 1, and all others are multiples of pi.
In plain math 1 equals a singular item, it's not even a whole, it's a bit, a part. Same is true of binary, which is a numerical system, not a digital device value, we just use the numerical system to represent the switches because it's easier for our minds to deal with.

Again, math is a language, not a science. Sciences use math to communicate.

Level 1

Since: Jul 12

Washington, DC

#54307 Oct 22, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. The word "theory" in that list does not have the same meaning as it does in science.
For instance, if you look for the definition of the word "theory" in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, you'll find 6 different definitions (and some of those have sub-definitions).
The definition of "theory" used by science is number 5: "a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena"
The definition of "theory" used in the list you provided is number 6c: "a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject"
So no, you have not demonstrated that mathematics is a science. It is using the word "theory" in a different way.
Do you have any idea how many theorems that the Theory of Evolution now contains? What about the Green House Theory of Global Warming?

Because these use theorems in a logical, rational manner, does that mean they are not scientific theories?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 11 min Lumajuice 158,133
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 24 min whatimeisit 41,249
How to use the rotary dryer? 30 min TALLYHO 8541 2
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... 1 hr Scarbelly Bob 491
Dave's bar and grill,is now open. (May '13) 2 hr David0407 5,983
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 3 hr Lumajuice 977
3 Word Sentence (each word, one syllable only) 3 hr Nobody 2 Special 241
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 4 hr andet1987 27,600
Rest in Peace, Spock 5 hr Super Ego Rob Lowe 342
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 hr Radical Miracle 39,445