Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221488 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#51841 Oct 10, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't build a modern house without a hammer.
Does that mean that hammers are houses?
Mathematics does not use the scientific method, so mathematics is not a science.
Wrong!
Science as a discipline, can never function, without the use of Mathematics. In building and construction, we need Maths, in the physical and chemical science, we also need Mathematics.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#51842 Oct 10, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And yet the bible is widely read world wide...
It's demand and supply is increasing daily geometrically.
Geometrically?

That word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Level 2

Location hidden

#51843 Oct 10, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
This will be of a great surprise to *theoretical*(not "applied") mathematicians, who can study math all day long without any references to either physics or chemistry.
<quoted text>
Prove it. Show how a theoretical mathematician must refer to physics or chemistry.
You are again, bending and twisting your positions. I said, science can never function, without the use of Maths. But Maths can function, without the sciences.

Level 7

Nehwon

#51844 Oct 10, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Mathematics is a science...
Angles of elevations, depressions, tangents, cosines, sines, exponentals, constructions, bearings, integrations and differentiations, are all scientific mathematical models, in the field of Maths.
Show me your experiment that demonstrates 1 + 1 = 2. I bet I can counter your results by showing that 1 + 1 = 10.

Level 2

Location hidden

#51845 Oct 10, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I dispute it.
See, I proved you wrong.
That was easy.
Dispute?
You have no idea. You are wrong, simple and easy.

“Stuffs gettin better ”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#51846 Oct 10, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Liar!
Mathematics is a science. Without Mathematics, science can not stand as a discipline.
They should have told Newton and Einstein that they didn't need any math in their science.
Think of how much time those guys could have saved.

:)

Level 2

Location hidden

#51847 Oct 10, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> But you're an ape and a human, how is it wrong?
If you possess that attributes or characteristics, no problem.

Level 7

Nehwon

#51848 Oct 10, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You are again, bending and twisting your positions. I said, science can never function, without the use of Maths. But Maths can function, without the sciences.
Why does Math work?

Level 2

Location hidden

#51849 Oct 10, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
I wonder how far down the various clades you would have to go before Chuckles went into denial. Surely he would admit that people were animals. Vertebrates, without a doubt. Mammals, definitely. Primates? Maybe. We know for some reason he draws the line at ape.
In a clearer sense, humans are not apes. They may be similar, this is due to the creation of one God. We are all Gods creation.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#51850 Oct 10, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to keep the voices out of your head or just making sure your Kraco CB radio will work after the Ruskies attack with an EMP bomb?
The Russians Sold That Technology To Iran...Your Too Naive To Understand The Importance Of Todays Real Threats And Timelines.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#51851 Oct 11, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot, I have no need to presume when it comes to a fool like you. And yes, I can see that a survivalist nut like you might buy some Faraday cages and mistakenly use a brand name instead of calling them by their proper term.
Tesla also is appreciated by no minds with no technical abilities. Yes, he mad some neat stuff, but a lot of his work is misinterpreted by conspiracy nuts. He never did find a reasonable way to transmit power over the air and he definitely had a bit to learn about electromagnetic field theory.
Yeah, He Really Was Stupid...90 Percent Of All Modern Inventions Use His Patents.

And By The Way, I Built My Own Faraday Boxes.

Funny How The Government Was Stealing His Stuff, Moments After His Death. And How HAARP A Government Secret Anntenna Aray Uses His Tecnolgy To Transmit Millions Of Volts Into The Ionisphere For Scaler Warfare....Hmmm

Level 2

Location hidden

#51852 Oct 11, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Geometrically?
That word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
May be you are blind. The evidence, are in our very eyes.

“First it steals your mind..”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#51853 Oct 11, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>

Can Science Explain What Gravity Is ?
Yes.
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Can It Explain Emotions ?
Yes
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Can It Explain Conscienceness ?
Yes
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Can It Explain Feelings ?
Yes
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Can It Explain Loneliness ?
Yes
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Can It Explain Hate ?
Yes
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
You See Dweebscicle....They Can Theorize About It....But Nothing Other Then That.
You don't know what we mean by "theorize"
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Sciences Inventions Are Great And Amazing....But Those Are Seperate From Theory.
I And Most Everyone Applaud The Inventors, And Some Of Them Used Theory To Begin With. But, They Excelled Beyond Theory, And Actually Produced Something Of Value. Your Religion Merely Relies On Theory Without Producing Anything Provable.
And Has A Cult Following Of Foot Soldiers.....Hmmm
Scientific advances are seperate fom theory?

Do you even know what you are saying?

How do you think aircraft were invented? Some day some guy 'accidentally discovered it'?

Nope. The inventors - the Wright brothers had a good grasp of Newton's Gravitational theories, his theories of motion and his physics.

They had to make *calculations*. To do that, they used *theory*.

You are ignorant of science, and now you believe that all discoveries are those we stumble upon. But the fact is that 99% of technological advances are due to the inventors and researchers having a sound understanding of the theoretical framework involved.

Level 5

#51854 Oct 11, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Genetic distance does however.
http://www.friesian.com/trees.htm
Also see Sforza's work
I'm starting to wonder whether creationists are a bundle of genes short from the rest of us.
Is there some small remote island where they engineered them without the proper neural network and inbuild intellectual lazyness.
Nonsense aside, most can't even understand the bible.
They remind me of hooligans.
Usually the kind of people that are during the week small dictators, thus shop managers or general middle management or even the guy that advises you. So enough money to afford the outrageous prices for a season-ticket or away games.
Well in the weekend they go spare.
Overhere they troll and are incapable to understand that they must make an arguement that completely and totally explains creation.
It wants to make one laugh, but it also depresses one greatly. A god belief is a pretty normal occurence, and I don't blame anyone for having that. But to be in this day and age and believing such things like the Garden of Eden, the Global Flood, The Tower of Babel and talking snakes?? It's laughable.

Level 5

#51855 Oct 11, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~s ejones/histry01.html
Darwin's attack on creation
Darwin erected a straw man caricature of creation to attack
"Often the Creationist position seems merely a straw man-set up only to be knocked down"
"Yet even here, where Darwin's arguments are strongest, nagging questions remain. For example, a reader of the Origin might be justified in wondering what Creationist view Darwin is referring to. Perhaps this is a problem more for the present-day reader. Darwin's contemporaries may have known exactly what he meant, though I doubt it. Often the Creationist position seems merely a straw man-set up only to be knocked down. The constraints on space in the Origin, which led Darwin to abandon his original intention of arguing on both sides of the mutability issue, add to this feeling. The result is that the Creationist position is never clearly defined in the Origin." (Gale B.G., "Evolution Without Evidence: Charles Darwin and the Origin of Species," University of New Mexico Press: Albuquerque NM, 1982, p.139).[top]
What??

The craetion account is blatant garbage. To qualify it as a fairy tale is almost a stretch.

Snakes don't talk.

People don't get 900 years old

Bushes don't talk

Fire does not rain from the sky

People don't wake up from death

Level 5

#51856 Oct 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>To you, mathematics is not science but to reality, it is.
Prove it, by applying the scientific method to it.

Conduct an experiment. Observe. Conclude.

Can you do that?

Level 5

#51857 Oct 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Wrong and wrong.
Mathematics is an applied discipline in Physics, Chemistry etc.
The use of Graph, Angles, Tangents, Cosines, Sines, Exponentals and Logarithms etc, are all courses under mathematics, that are scientific...
Your first part is correct. It is APPLIED.

Just how we APPLY English to natural sciences to interpret them.

Mathematics is not a study of how nature works. Rather it is a tool to help us quantify the things we encounter.

Level 5

#51858 Oct 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Economics is a social science...
Without the study of human behaviour, Physics or Chemistry can never. Economics laws and theories are all scientific.
Mathematics is and will always be science.
Yes, and what is economics?

It is the movement of money.

Mathematics help us interpret it.

Level 5

#51859 Oct 11, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Without Social Science( Economics, Marketing, Management Science, Statistics, Geography), there no Physical or Chemical science.
1. Geography is not a social science. It is a natural science.

2. Physical science(assuming you mean mechanics) and chemistry does not require social sciences to function. I can make a scientific observation without involving mathematics, statistics, economics or anything.

Case in point: When I was 4 or 5, I figured out that if you swing a bucket of water around in a huge circle fast enough, the water does not fall out of the bucket.

It was a plain and simple observation, made by a very young brain... But still, I discovered the principle of angular momentum for myself.

Mathematics is a tool/language we use to interpret the theoretical framework.

Level 5

#51860 Oct 11, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Economics is not a science. It's an upmarketed study for people too stupid for the real thing. Even the Nobel committee is still having discussions about it, therefore it is not funded by them, but by a seperate organization. Also universities do not consider it a science, but it brings in the money. So it's a milkcow.
Mathematics is a tool, and worthwhile given what one can do with it, to describe thus a language.
I agree. The modern age has lead to the cheapening of terms 'science' and 'engineering'.

To me,'social science' is a misnomer.'Science' should refer to natural science methinks. We don't call economists scientists

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Any 3 word combination" (Dec '12) 2 min andet1987 3,787
3 Word Sentence (each word, one syllable only) (Jan '15) 11 min andet1987 1,126
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min F_R_E_D 218,731
A Five Letter Word (Jan '12) 14 min andet1987 2,663
What Turns You Off? 34 min honeymylove 546
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 1 hr Camilla 12,022
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr RACY_MEAN_DISAGREE 76,022
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 3 hr Parden Pard 22,886
What is your pets name? 3 hr Parden Pard 44
A to Z songs by title or group! (Dec '16) 5 hr Judy 123 1,950