Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#50199 Oct 2, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
Demonstrate how?
By quoting the scientific definition of "great ape" and describing how the human species does not meet the definition.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#50200 Oct 2, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way...definition of a great ape: congress
Got anything to add to the thread other than pointless jokes?
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#50201 Oct 2, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Demonstrate how?
http://ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genom...
The often-quoted statement that we share over 98% of our genes with apes (chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans) actually should be put another way. That is, there is more than 95% to 98% similarity between related genes in humans and apes in general.(Just as in the mouse, quite a few genes probably are not common to humans and apes, and these may influence uniquely human or ape traits.) Similarities between mouse and human genes range from about 70% to 90%, with an average of 85% similarity but a lot of variation from gene to gene (e.g., some mouse and human gene products are almost identical, while others are nearly unrecognizable as close relatives). Some nucleotide changes are “neutral” and do not yield a significantly altered protein. Others, but probably only a relatively small percentage, would introduce changes that could substantially alter what the protein does.
{Seems we're part mice and part great ape when you get right down to the low riding "genes"...}
{sigh}
So you dirty rat...is not so much of an insult as a description...
Drewrat...
The mental gymnastics required to twist SCIENCE and REALITY into your delusional "world-view" must be truly painful.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#50202 Oct 2, 2012
HTS, another flaw in your reasoning is that it seems you believe only one individual is undergoing mutations. Or that the mutations are all the same. Every individual passes on 150 to 300 mutations and all of those mutations are different. You will find far more than your required number of mutations if you consider the fact that a population evolves, individuals never do. Say if there were only 1,000 individuals, and that would be a population that is almost extinct so the number would be much much higher than that for most of the clade's existence. That would mean for each generation there would be from 150,000 to 300,000 new mutations.

As I said you might want to talk to a geneticists. Your idea of how evolution occurs is faulty.
bohart

Newport, TN

#50203 Oct 2, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that when you have been fed nothing but vile pus soaked lies that the truth can be scary. You have been told that a God that thinks it is okay to rape a woman as long as you pay the father and marry her afterwards is just. You have been told that a god that told his people to kill every one in a town except for the virginal women was loving. I know that you have been told that a god who blames his creation and all of their offspring for failing a test that he knew that they would fail is just. Real justice, kindness, and love can look a bit weird after growing up with that nonsense.
We have evidence that supports our beliefs. You have bupkis.
Good job, you attack religion while ignoring your own idiotic hypocrisy.I don't blame you though , I wouldn't try to defend it either.

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#50204 Oct 2, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
The mental gymnastics required to twist SCIENCE and REALITY into your delusional "world-view" must be truly painful.
You have no idea...

“God of War”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#50206 Oct 2, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>My point in bringing up dogs is that phenotypic variability is not evolution. Dogs can interbreed, and can breed with wolves. No reproductive isolation has been accomplished. You obviously have no concept of evolution, if you think dog breeding is a good example.
I don't think a wolf ans a Chihuahua are a viable mating pair , at least not without help.

“God of War”

Level 8

Location hidden

#50207 Oct 2, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>So now we agree on something... Tell me, then, why you think man can evolve from an ape in 350,000 generations, which would involve at least 30 million nucleotide changes, if it takes 30,000 generations of bacteria [which have much higher mutation rates than humans] to produce one significant mutation?
Man has never evolved past being an ape, he still is a very special type ape. So you see your point is moot, we are hominini a type of ape.

“God of War”

Level 8

Location hidden

#50208 Oct 2, 2012
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
Something about Blood (Personal) also he would be like 13 and I think he's around -time's up here so yeah and it was for a boy that I lost... I would love to have one if Science is to Knowledge I may still run into him without labor pain I don't think he would appreciate being an infant now either if he is in a world of some sort
The Great Beyond
www.youtube.com/watch...

“God of War”

Level 8

Location hidden

#50209 Oct 2, 2012
Tinka wrote:
Ape may yet still what is it evolve? Or are they going to create APE man oh according to History we are way past that stage...
That's being arrogant and obtuse , thinking that.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#50210 Oct 2, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Good job, you attack religion while ignoring your own idiotic hypocrisy.I don't blame you though , I wouldn't try to defend it either.
how am I attacking religion? I may be attacking your religion, I am not attacking religion in general. And where have I ever been hypocritical? I am not a fundy in his undies so I don't think that term applies to me at all.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#50211 Oct 2, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
how am I attacking religion? I may be attacking your religion, I am not attacking religion in general. And where have I ever been hypocritical? I am not a fundy in his undies so I don't think that term applies to me at all.
A distinction lost on many fundies: mostly they're disliked for their asshattery.
Not their religion.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#50212 Oct 2, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>A distinction lost on many fundies: mostly they're disliked for their asshattery.
Not their religion.
I agree. They believe that theirs is the only "correct" religion so the others don't matter if they are attacked. But if you attack their own personal beliefs you are attacking all of religion.

What is extremely hypocritical of these fools is that they require "proof" from others for their beliefs. They don't understand how science works on evidence. Yet they know that there is no evidence supporting their own beliefs. They are right because mommy told him so.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Nehwon

#50213 Oct 2, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Wrong!
Humans are never apes.
You have a point there.

Apes would just eat that banana instead of using it to demonstrate their complete ignorance of evolution while, at the same time, demonstrating their suppressed homosexuality.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#50214 Oct 2, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Got anything to add to the thread other than pointless jokes?
His banalities rarely rise to the level of "jokes".

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Qufu, China

#50215 Oct 2, 2012
Sorry I can't answer your question, anonymous.
Right now, I'm busy holding on to a new job and busy learning how to say the simplest thing in Chinese.
It will be a long time before I can start worrying about Chinese politics and economy.

Level 5

Qufu, China

#50216 Oct 2, 2012
In post #50195, Knightmare made a copy and paste which was supposed to prove that we were no more related to apes than to mice.

True to Creationist custom, he quoted out of context. This is from the paragraph immediately preceding the paragraph which he copied and pasted:
However, the most significant differences between mice and humans are not in the number of genes each carries but in the structure of genes and the activities of their protein products. Gene for gene, we are very similar to mice. What really matters is that subtle changes accumulated in each of the approximately 25,000 genes add together to make quite different organisms. Further, genes and proteins interact in complex ways that multiply the functions of each. In addition, a gene can produce more than one protein product through alternative splicing or post-translational modification; these events do not always occur in an identical way in the two species. A gene can produce more or less protein in different cells at various times in response to developmental or environmental cues, and many proteins can express disparate functions in various biological contexts.
My mother liked to lie in bed after waking up in the morning. She justified this by quoting from Isaiah 5:11: "Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning."

She didn't quote the entire verse, which reads "Woe unto them tha rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!"

The difference is that my mother meant this as a joke, whereas Creationists make a deliberate effort to deceive people.

Level 5

Qufu, China

#50217 Oct 2, 2012
HTS, could you please answer Subduction Zone's question?
All I can find is:

Non-Destructive Testing
National Debate Tournament
Nil Ductility Transition
New Dimensions in Technology
Nuclear Decommissioning Trust
No Dial Tone
No Down Time
Newfoundland Dayligt Time
Neuromuscular Dvelopmental Technique
Note De Transduction
Non-Diectional Travel

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#50218 Oct 2, 2012
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
And people can recover from the Monkey tribal ritual maybe too...
Maybe Ape will speak to them... HAHAHA
Lol.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#50219 Oct 2, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, humans are apes. We meet the definition.
Demonstrate otherwise.
Blind arguments!
Every one that has eyes to see, knows that humans are not apes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 18 min Lumajuice 158,133
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 30 min whatimeisit 41,249
How to use the rotary dryer? 37 min TALLYHO 8541 2
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... 1 hr Scarbelly Bob 491
Dave's bar and grill,is now open. (May '13) 3 hr David0407 5,983
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 3 hr Lumajuice 977
3 Word Sentence (each word, one syllable only) 3 hr Nobody 2 Special 241
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 4 hr andet1987 27,600
Rest in Peace, Spock 5 hr Super Ego Rob Lowe 342
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 hr Radical Miracle 39,445