Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201723 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#47977 Sep 24, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
In school, eh?
Well, I use the term "Melungeon" in a highly speculative way. That side of the family came out of West Virginia and their diverse genetic background could have occurred many ways. Generally, I think I've heard more descriptions that would be of the Portuguese sailor variety. I suspect a certain Asian Indian or East Indies background in the family and that Portuguese sailor description seemed the only reasonable reason for something like that to exist in Appalachia.
Otherwise, we look just like your average white folk, perhaps facial traits in the family show a hint of Native American but my Irish side kind of wipes that out too. It's not anything I try to prove to anyone, anyway. Lot's of people in the Cleveland area are interracial. They really try to forget about it, I think.
No reason to disproof either. Obama would share your genes.
http://dnaconsultants.com/_blog/DNA_Consultan...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#47978 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>It's obvious that your belief in evolution is not founded on science, but on your worldview. Stop pretending that science validates your entrenched philosophical views.

You like, actually you NEED, to keep believing this, don't you.
This is called projection. I can reverse your argument and it actually makes MORE sense (to everyone but fundies).

Observe: It's obvious that your belief in ID is not founded on science, but on your worldview. Stop pretending that science validates your entrenched philosophical views.

See, I change 'evolution' to 'ID' and have a statement that can garner much more support from people actually educated in science. That is one of the ways I "test" for psychological projection; if I can reverse it and it makes more sense reversed then it was probably projection.

Slightly off the subject, are you familiar with the Dunning-Kruger Effect?
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#47979 Sep 24, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Some throw out the kurgan/Anatolian linguistic position.
But lacking even early IE farmer overlap (~4000 BC)since they allready arived around 8000-7000 BC some have suggested a link with Sumerian, and from (lot's of genetic drift and more Caucasian R1a)Gedrosian (Beluchistan) also with Finnish.
So looking at a Gedrosian R1b M 269 component.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/archive/index.ph...
Any Denizovan genes running in your tribe?
We don't kiss and tell!

I've been tempted to have a cheek swab tested to find out for sure where we stand, but I'm fairly confident that the results would end up on some government database somewhere. I really don't want to help them in their invasions of privacy. I'm not really sure what we'd be inheriting from any Asian ancestors anyway.

My uncle on my mother's side had one of those tests done. I didn't see an impressive breakdown on the report. The one thing I did see which wasn't too big of a surprise, was some Basque inheritance in her family. That's fairly common in the entirety of England and Ireland.

Generally, I have a hunch that there are at least 3 or four separate non-Caucasian genes in my father's generation. It's all intuition though. The family name is Scottish and nobody has traced the family tree back far enough to see. If they were Melungeon though, that could take quite a few generations to trace.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#47980 Sep 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
You're telling me that DNA is not complex? Are you telling me that a computer code is not complex?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#47981 Sep 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
See, I change 'evolution' to 'ID' and have a statement that can garner much more support from people actually educated in science. That is one of the ways I "test" for psychological projection; if I can reverse it and it makes more sense reversed then it was probably projection.
I am actually educated in science. I practice it every day. I have daily accountability and peer review in every decision I make, unlike those who are engaged in the evolution debacle. I can tell you that evolution bears no semblance to science. All of its fundamental premises are founded on unprovable metaphysical suppositions.
No, I'm not familiar with Dunning-Kruger effect.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47982 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You can't rationalize away unalterable concepts of order and complexity by your relativistic worldview.

"unalterable concepts" - Isn't that an oxymoron?

"Order" like "complexity" are relative terms. In a scientific discussion they are meaningless terms unless they are quantified. Even philosophy has to define its terms and fundies make no reasonable attempt to do so. They tried defining "irreducibly complex". Remember that fiasco? That did more to discredit ID than a million scientists publicly denouncing it. Last I heard fundies were still looking for something that was IR and could not be refuted as such. But science and philosophy lost interest (to the extent they ever had any) leaving fundies to play with the ball of ID yarn.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47983 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The US, is just a combination of Europe, Africa, Asia and the rest of the world.

Wherever do you get this stuff?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47984 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You live in a paradigm in which you imagine that blind directed forces can produce complexity. You have no proof that the solar system was not intelligently designed. My original challenge stands. Utilizing your definition of complexity, point out an example of a complexity that has been proven to have been formed without intelligence?

This is a good game if you can get anyone to bite. Our solar system appears to have formed naturally as has every other solar system we have discovered, including those in the process of formation.

You may be able to get someone to chase the complexity tail, but it is a meaningless exercise.

Having no empirical scientific definition of 'complexity' makes this an empty theology.
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#47985 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You're telling me that DNA is not complex? Are you telling me that a computer code is not complex?
10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
RUN

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47986 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English started in England...
Their influences, cut accross the US, Canada, etc.

This has been solidly refuted. You never check references on anything you spout. You just have your ignorance, an internet connection and are off to the races.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47987 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You have proved nothing either. Simple and clear.

We have proved you are lying. There is no reference in Wikipedia about him having ever been an atheist. He was from a religious family and is a known biblical scholar.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#47988 Sep 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You like, actually you NEED, to keep believing this, don't you.
This is called projection. I can reverse your argument and it actually makes MORE sense (to everyone but fundies).
Observe: It's obvious that your belief in ID is not founded on science, but on your worldview. Stop pretending that science validates your entrenched philosophical views.
Yeah ,Dunning -Kruger. I think it generally applies to viewers of Fox news.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47989 Sep 24, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Snowflake.

Fractal, quarks, mars.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47990 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The link can be gotten through Google.

This is a lie.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47991 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>A snowflake does not conform to the wiki definition of complexity as posted on this thread. If you have a different definition of complexity, I'd like to hear it.

That is not true. Wiki gave a number of definitions of complexity. A snowflake is more complex than you are. After all, you don't have the snow part.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47992 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You're telling me that DNA is not complex? Are you telling me that a computer code is not complex?

That is correct.

And since 'complex' is a relative term there is nothing you can do about it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47993 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I am actually educated in science. I practice it every day. I have daily accountability and peer review in every decision I make, unlike those who are engaged in the evolution debacle. I can tell you that evolution bears no semblance to science. All of its fundamental premises are founded on unprovable metaphysical suppositions.
No, I'm not familiar with Dunning-Kruger effect.

No, you are clearly not aware of evolutionary medicine and other related fields which are saving lives.

I bet you get a shot every year based on evolution.

You are the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect. That would pretty much leave you out of knowing what it is. Sort of like the way someone who is profoundly retard does not know what profoundly retarded mean.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#47994 Sep 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
They would be surprised to learn this.
Believe it or not, Charles finally got one right. British does not mean English. For instance, the Welsh are British, but they aren't English. And those folks up in Scotland are British, but they aren't English either.

(I have a very good friend who works in London but who was born in Scotland. She's fine if you call her British, but don't dare call her English.)

Let's just chalk this one up to the "A broken clock is right eventually."

Tampa, FL

#47995 Sep 24, 2012
Basque isn't an Indo-European language.
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked into that a while ago.
They are no different from their surrounding neighbours, same origins, just a bit more isolated. Also the language is a variation on the local dialects. And they have minimal neanderthal alleles. About the same as the rest of Europe. So nothing special.
Indo-european language is a fiction. Apparently all can be tracked back to the Anatolian region.(Pontic-Caspian if need be)
I think you're confusing language with genetics. While the Basque people may be no different than their neighbors in terms of DNA, their language shows no relationship to Indo-European languages.(Other examples of languages that aren't related to Indo-European languages are Finnish, Estonian, and Hungarian.)

The Basque language is in no way a "variation on the local dialects" of nearby languages. They aren't mutually comprehensible at all.

Tampa, FL

#47996 Sep 24, 2012
Most likely, in the Pontic-Caspian steppes, where all Indo-European languages began.
Charles Idemi wrote:
English started in England
Nope, it started long before that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 min Hair Furor 58,130
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 min Sublime1 194,610
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 7 min Lady Politix 18,497
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 9 min President Trump 7,876
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 23 min Bezeer 10,360
Word Association. (Nov '10) 24 min Bezeer 19,325
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 26 min Bezeer 13,510
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 2 hr Northbound 8,533
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 hr Sublime1 32,693
More from around the web