Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163603 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#47960 Sep 24, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Prove it, Charles, the way that I have already proved you to be a liar.
<quoted text>
And how, exactly, did I do that, Charles?
You have proved nothing either...
Go on!!!
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#47961 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> This post is met for you...
Stay away from embarrassing others, in the name of education.
Are you saying that you don't want to be embarrassed by someone who is proud of their education? You really don't see me doing that, I hope. I strive to strike a balance between book-smart and street-smart. You're just missing things on both levels and just end up zigging and zagging like a drunk.

If English isn't your native language, don't try to talk trash. You just invite people to play you for a stooge.

Level 2

Location hidden

#47962 Sep 24, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Nope. There is no single "Standard English" in the world. There are many.
Since you are such an enormous fan of Wikipedia, perhaps you'll enjoy this: "Standard English (often shortened to S.E. within linguistic circles) refers to whatever form of the English language is accepted as a national norm in an Anglophone country...In the United States it is generally associated with the 'General American' accent, and in Australia with General Australian.".
Care to admit your error now?
<quoted text>
First, are you admitting your error? Let's start with that before we move on to a new topic.
You don't know the meaning of error. English started in England. Their influence includes, the US, Canada, etc.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#47963 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The US, is just a combination of Europe, Africa, Asia and the rest of the world.
And what can you conclude about that, especially if your religion has a few uncomplimentary things to say about certain races?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#47964 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>No, you don't support your contentions with links. You blindly copy and paste because you can't logically defend any of the tenets of NDT.
Hoo Hoo hoo, Hah hah hah, oh please quit. I can't take anymore HST.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#47965 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You live in a paradigm in which you imagine that blind directed forces can produce complexity. You have no proof that the solar system was not intelligently designed. My original challenge stands. Utilizing your definition of complexity, point out an example of a complexity that has been proven to have been formed without intelligence?
Snowflake.

Level 2

Location hidden

#47966 Sep 24, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Nope. There is no single "Standard English" in the world. There are many.
Since you are such an enormous fan of Wikipedia, perhaps you'll enjoy this: "Standard English (often shortened to S.E. within linguistic circles) refers to whatever form of the English language is accepted as a national norm in an Anglophone country...In the United States it is generally associated with the 'General American' accent, and in Australia with General Australian.".
Care to admit your error now?
<quoted text>
First, are you admitting your error? Let's start with that before we move on to a new topic.
English language started in England, with that, their influence alone, gave birth to American, Australian and Canadian English.

Level 2

Location hidden

#47967 Sep 24, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't "belong" to anyone. Anyone is free to speak English, or not.
Highest are also similar with majority...
Among all the religions, christianity stands out.

Level 2

Location hidden

#47968 Sep 24, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, I challenge it, since it's a non-functioning link.
The link can be gotten through Google.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#47969 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English language started in England, with that, their influence alone, gave birth to American, Australian and Canadian English.
You are mistaken.

The links proving this are available from Google.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#47970 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> This post is met for you...
Stay away from embarrassing others, in the name of education.
Better than embarrassing oneself in the name of ignorance, no?

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#47971 Sep 24, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what I've read. Basque, Finnish and some other isolated languages are unique. Nothing is absolutely unique but the core that it evolved from was not always from that region.
Some throw out the kurgan/Anatolian linguistic position.
But lacking even early IE farmer overlap (~4000 BC)since they allready arived around 8000-7000 BC some have suggested a link with Sumerian, and from (lot's of genetic drift and more Caucasian R1a)Gedrosian (Beluchistan) also with Finnish.
So looking at a Gedrosian R1b M 269 component.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/archive/index.ph...
Any Denizovan genes running in your tribe?

Level 5

Location hidden

#47972 Sep 24, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You are mistaken.
The links proving this are available from Google.
His identity seems to depend on it, so it will indeed go on for another 50 pages. He failed to google.
wiki anglo-norman
wiki Niedersaksen, saxons
Later still some bundle anglo and saxon.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#47973 Sep 24, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Snowflake.
A snowflake does not conform to the wiki definition of complexity as posted on this thread. If you have a different definition of complexity, I'd like to hear it.

Level 5

Location hidden

#47974 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The link can be gotten through Google.
it's irrelevant.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#47975 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>No, you don't support your contentions with links. You blindly copy and paste because you can't logically defend any of the tenets of NDT.

No, what you are admitting is that you have no support for your opinions. Your logic is abysmal and your posts have more of a rant quality than a systematic discussion of things related to science.

It is clearly your goal to drag me down to your ignorant level and beat me with experience. Sorry if I will not oblige.

I provide you with ACTUAL scientific information. You provide thinly veiled religious/emotional tirades.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47976 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>So, does DNA fit Ty complexity definition that you referenced?

No.

Level 5

Location hidden

#47977 Sep 24, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
In school, eh?
Well, I use the term "Melungeon" in a highly speculative way. That side of the family came out of West Virginia and their diverse genetic background could have occurred many ways. Generally, I think I've heard more descriptions that would be of the Portuguese sailor variety. I suspect a certain Asian Indian or East Indies background in the family and that Portuguese sailor description seemed the only reasonable reason for something like that to exist in Appalachia.
Otherwise, we look just like your average white folk, perhaps facial traits in the family show a hint of Native American but my Irish side kind of wipes that out too. It's not anything I try to prove to anyone, anyway. Lot's of people in the Cleveland area are interracial. They really try to forget about it, I think.
No reason to disproof either. Obama would share your genes.
http://dnaconsultants.com/_blog/DNA_Consultan...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#47978 Sep 24, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>It's obvious that your belief in evolution is not founded on science, but on your worldview. Stop pretending that science validates your entrenched philosophical views.

You like, actually you NEED, to keep believing this, don't you.
This is called projection. I can reverse your argument and it actually makes MORE sense (to everyone but fundies).

Observe: It's obvious that your belief in ID is not founded on science, but on your worldview. Stop pretending that science validates your entrenched philosophical views.

See, I change 'evolution' to 'ID' and have a statement that can garner much more support from people actually educated in science. That is one of the ways I "test" for psychological projection; if I can reverse it and it makes more sense reversed then it was probably projection.

Slightly off the subject, are you familiar with the Dunning-Kruger Effect?
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#47979 Sep 24, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Some throw out the kurgan/Anatolian linguistic position.
But lacking even early IE farmer overlap (~4000 BC)since they allready arived around 8000-7000 BC some have suggested a link with Sumerian, and from (lot's of genetic drift and more Caucasian R1a)Gedrosian (Beluchistan) also with Finnish.
So looking at a Gedrosian R1b M 269 component.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/archive/index.ph...
Any Denizovan genes running in your tribe?
We don't kiss and tell!

I've been tempted to have a cheek swab tested to find out for sure where we stand, but I'm fairly confident that the results would end up on some government database somewhere. I really don't want to help them in their invasions of privacy. I'm not really sure what we'd be inheriting from any Asian ancestors anyway.

My uncle on my mother's side had one of those tests done. I didn't see an impressive breakdown on the report. The one thing I did see which wasn't too big of a surprise, was some Basque inheritance in her family. That's fairly common in the entirety of England and Ireland.

Generally, I have a hunch that there are at least 3 or four separate non-Caucasian genes in my father's generation. It's all intuition though. The family name is Scottish and nobody has traced the family tree back far enough to see. If they were Melungeon though, that could take quite a few generations to trace.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'It feels weird asking everybody for permission... 3 min Mr_FX 65
last word/first word. (Apr '12) 5 min Mechanic 5,807
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 17 min Truths 140,415
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 21 min TALLYHO 8541 40,607
motorcycle traveling stories 23 min Mega Monster 747
A six word game (Dec '08) 25 min Parden Pard 18,382
News Ex-Catholic teacher pleads guilty to sex with s... 28 min Parden Pard 4
Things that make life eaiser... 34 min Parden Pard 563
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 46 min Papa Smurfaletto 11,321
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Wolftracks 162,689