Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223361 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#47070 Sep 20, 2012
Nope, it's the truth, since (1) the geological record shows that at one point in Earth's history, there was no life, and (2) the geological record shows that at a *later* point in Earth's history, there *was* life.
Ergo, abiogenesis took place.
nanoanomaly wrote:
Prove it.
Prove which one? That the geological record shows that at one point in Earth's history there was no life? Or that the geological record shows that at a *later* point in Earth's history, there wasn't?
bohart

White Pine, TN

#47071 Sep 20, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for clarification, what particular about abiogenesis would anyone here be highly disappointed to learn didn't happen? Nobody here thinks Godidit. They'd just like to know the truth and they are quite confident that the origin of life on Earth won't include God.
If you can disprove abiogenesis, bravo! If you can't, don't waste anyone's time with your bizzaro hyperbole, and don't expect anyone to respect your biblical ramblings.
What particularly about abiogenesis didn't happen? a puddle of lifeless goo did not come to life on it's own, thats what. You disappointed?, because there's no evidence that it did ,just you are your faith.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#47072 Sep 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Nope, it's the truth, since (1) the geological record shows that at one point in Earth's history, there was no life, and (2) the geological record shows that at a *later* point in Earth's history, there *was* life.
<quoted text>
What is the evidence for a "god"?
In case you missed the memo, there's zero evidence of a puddle of goo springing to life.I'll do what you've done , I claim life is proof of God as you claimed life is proof of abiogenesis.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#47073 Sep 20, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it.
I beieve that life comes from an eternal source of life, can I prove it no. But science has shown that life only comes from existing life despite all the lies .

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#47074 Sep 20, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
In case you missed the memo, there's zero evidence of a puddle of goo springing to life.I'll do what you've done , I claim life is proof of God as you claimed life is proof of abiogenesis.
You aren't understanding. Outside of any compelling evidence for some sort of supernatural assistance, it is logical to assume life began without the assistance of magic. This is not that hard.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#47075 Sep 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And you don't find a problem with throwing god into the last part of your "argument?"
Well I could have thrown in a tale about a puddle of goo springing to life but decided it's idiotic
bohart

White Pine, TN

#47076 Sep 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove which one? That the geological record shows that at one point in Earth's history there was no life? Or that the geological record shows that at a *later* point in Earth's history, there wasn't?
Quit evading the question! prove abiogenesis caused life to begin due to totally natural means. If you can't, then you believe that totally on faith, not evidence, which makes you a card carrying member of the church of the poisoned mind of puddle gooists.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#47077 Sep 20, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Mark Ridley is a card carrying creationist. He seems connected to this website and article...follow the article to the end and see what his conclusions are.
http://www.designanduniverse.com/articles/fut...
I believe that is incorrect. Ridley is in fact pro-evolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Ridley_ (zoologist)
bohart

White Pine, TN

#47078 Sep 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You aren't understanding. Outside of any compelling evidence for some sort of supernatural assistance, it is logical to assume life began without the assistance of magic. This is not that hard.
Really? well since all life on earth has come from already existing life and there's zero evidence of it happening any other way, it is logical to assume life had to come from an already existing source of life, thats not magic,thats known science, but a lifeless goo puddle popping to life would be magic.

Tampa, FL

#47079 Sep 20, 2012
<quoted text>
What is the evidence for a "god"?
bohart wrote:
In case you missed the memo...
You didn't answer my question. What is the evidence for a "god"?

Claiming that something was caused by a "god" just because you don't know the exact sequence of natural processes is a "god of the gaps" argument. It doesn't fly.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#47080 Sep 20, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
bohart, see if you can get this through your thick head. At one point there was no life on the Earth. Event the most boneheaded creationist agrees to this. Geology shows the same thing. Early on in Earth's history there was no life on it. Later on we can see evidence of life. That means whether you believe that god did it with magic or if you believe that naturalistic caused created life you believe in abiogenesis.

Abiogenesis simply refers to the earliest act that caused life to appear whether natural, magical, or if you are really out there alien.

Tampa, FL

#47081 Sep 20, 2012
bohart wrote:
Quit evading the question! prove abiogenesis caused life to begin due to totally natural means.
We observe natural processes acting in all observable chemical reactions.

We have never observed "supernatural" processes.

For more details, take a look at number #4:

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2008/07/what-...

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#47082 Sep 20, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
It started with Cyanobacteria and Stromatolites in shallow oceans , not on the land.
So if you consider the ocean a puddle of goo .
Then yes life started in a puddle of goo.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#47083 Sep 20, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? well since all life on earth has come from already existing life and there's zero evidence of it happening any other way, it is logical to assume life had to come from an already existing source of life, thats not magic,thats known science, but a lifeless goo puddle popping to life would be magic.
No, this time your problem is that you don't recognize evidence when it is put in front of you. We have given quite a bit of evidence for naturalistic abiogenesis.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#47084 Sep 20, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that is incorrect. Ridley is in fact pro-evolution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Ridley_ (zoologist)
I agree, the articles that both you and I quoted and linked showed that HST was quote mining.

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#47085 Sep 20, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
And where did the original life come from?
KJV

United States

#47086 Sep 20, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>There was no link there. You have just joined the ranks of liars. If there was a link why didn't you include it in your post?

Are these creatards even fooling themselves?
Let's talk liars

Page 2170

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like you were clearly wrong about this post and would not admit it.
"Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
I clearly stated who I was talking about.
It's right there in the post "Atheist"
You can't man up on clear proof that you were wrong. You can't read minds stick to reading post. You cannot insert what I did not post.
This is clear evidence that you're one of those that cannot except the truth even when it bitch slaps you in the face!"
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>No, I am sorry. DWT was clearly lying back then. His meaning was clear.
Page 2184

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>No, I am sorry. DWT was clearly lying back then. His meaning was clear.
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry your lies don't fly.
I specificity stated Atheist. When one goes to the length to specificity in this case "Athiest" you cannot change the wording and blame me for insulting "Evolutionist". That is lying.
If you can't admit your lie here when everyone can read it in black and white then why should anyone ever listen to you?
Page 2186

Subduction Zone;
DW2, too bad your quotes are not valid. No source, no links, they can be declared to be nonsense wit the wave of a hand. Did you see Kong's long quote? He posted a link to go with it.

Most of your post sounds like creationist bullshit that has no basis in reality.

Doctor who:
There's links
On the last 3 parts the first 2 parts I stated the link was on the last part.
Can't find any real crap to talk about so you make it up.

Subduction Zone:
You are right, I don't know how I missed that. I have glanced at the site and it looks like a massive quote mining project.

At least here you manned up!
KJV

United States

#47087 Sep 20, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>You're projecting, I drive my own pick-up and I'm not just riding a bus. Yes...
For a fee I will haul you and deposit your compost self off
at the farm. Being you are half a load of cow shit.
Is it a Tonka?
KJV

United States

#47088 Sep 20, 2012
Michael Allred wrote:
Evolution is real.

Creationism/ID is really stupid.

There, problem solved.
Ok good bye
KJV

United States

#47089 Sep 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>And if it were impossible for a population of single-celled organisms to evolve into a population of multicellular organisms, then it would be impossible for a fertilized egg (a single-celled organism) to become an adult organism (a multicellular organism). Since the latter is not impossible, then the former is also not impossible.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that you made an absurd claim about single-celled organism, and I refuted your claim by providing the example of a fertilized egg (which is a single-celled organism).

KJV wrote, "By the way What grade are you in now?"

Long past the grade where I was taught that engaging in childish insults in a debate is a fast way of letting everyone know that you've lost the debate.

Ad hominem cliches won't help your losing argument.
It's no augment, I simply stated a fact
And you've been squirming ever sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 min Jackie 35,014
News US employee in China reported strange sounds, p... 6 min Jackie 3
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 9 min quilterqueen 62,795
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr wichita-rick 230,702
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 2 hr Blue Bird 6,670
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 2 hr Blue Bird 17,314
Any Word ! (Mar '11) 2 hr Blue Bird 6,680
WHo ARe YOu THinking ABout RIght NOw (Jul '13) 2 hr North Mountain 1,352
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 3 hr Ginger Rosie 7,132
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 6 hr North Mountain 8,254