Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 204738 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#46557 Sep 18, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so. Isn't the mDNA specifically in the X chromosme? Since I have a Y chromosome I definitely did not get an X chromosome from my grandmother on my fathers side. My X chromosome could come either from my mother's mother or father, there is a 50% probability that it came from either one. But no X from my Dad's mother.
Actually, no X from your dad period, unless you're female.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#46558 Sep 18, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It certainly would take a catastrophic cascading failure to eliminate the human race , as thriving as it is now. Not impossible but not foreseeable in the near future.
The thought that bothers me is another Permian–Triassic type extinction brought on from methane gassing from the sea floor over several thousand years.
But we should have ways to ensure survival of the human race in case of this. In these technological driven times we are the first in Earths billion of years of history that can actually see it coming. As long as we are not wiped out by an asteroid in the near future , I see the human race surviving for billions of years.
I read a National Geographic article last week that claimed there might be huge deposits of methane trapped in arctic ice. It might not take thousands of years with the global warming that's happening now.
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#46559 Sep 18, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
Oops, I was wrong about mitochondrial DNA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DN...
Yet I was still correct, there is no mDNA from my father's mother. Only from my mother's side. In other words if there was a Neanderthal mating in the past that involved only a male Neanderthal and a female HomoSap the mDNA would all be HomoSap.
Which leads us to the conclusion that either the mDNA of early modern humans packed a serious genetic punch to have so thoroughly replaced all other mDNA, or the interbreeding was rare.

I suspect that it was a bit of both.
FREE SERVANT
#46560 Sep 18, 2012
Colonel Sheppard wrote:
I seek truths. As of yet, in all these comments, haven't I found anything to make me believe we were created with a "snap of Gods finger". But I am open to any actual evidence (other than the bible) that anyone may have. Honestly would give anything if i could follow the herd like sheep, it seems like a nice way to live. I use to do just that once in my life, then I started thinking for myself and ruined a good thing. Now its too late to go back. I'm truly disgruntled :(
I have seen a cloudlike hand pictured in stone and it is a real lapis stone. It can be seen on the Bible Belt profile in the Science forum topix The theory of Intelligent Design thread. The Bible tells us God created the Heavens and the Earth through his Word, however his cloudlike hand was seen by many people in the Old Testament.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#46561 Sep 18, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What question did I answer? The definition of complexity? Others gave you that same answer already.
As for everything being relative, I don't believe that I said that, but I won't argue the point. If it's not correct, it's close. There's no absolute time or space, so what is absolute? Most things can be compared. Is there a problem with knowing or saying so?
How could you distinguish an actual gene from nonsense? I copied one of these and made up the other. Tell me which is more complex:
[1] TTGGCTTG / CAAGCCAA / ATAGGATA / TATCCTAT / TATCCTTC / GAAGGATA
[2] ATACCGCA / ACAGGTTA / TTGTAAAC / CGTGTGAC / TAATTACG / GAGCTGAA
I can't read the genetic code, and neither can anyone on earth. That doesn't mean it doesn't have language type funcitonality. Chinese may look like hen scratching, but it is a complex language, just as is DNA
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#46562 Sep 18, 2012
...and please don't bring up midi-chlorians and the Force!

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#46563 Sep 18, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so. Isn't the mDNA specifically in the X chromosme? Since I have a Y chromosome I definitely did not get an X chromosome from my grandmother on my fathers side. My X chromosome could come either from my mother's mother or father, there is a 50% probability that it came from either one. But no X from my Dad's mother.
Actually we both may be wrong. It could have been lost over many generations dropping a little in each new recombination.
But it seems still highly unlikely there would not be a trace at all in mDNA if there were a mother involved.

((((((This graph shows the probability that an ancestor of mine from N generations ago will pass DNA onto me, i.e. the probability that a genealogical ancestor is also a genetic ancestor. The black line is the simulation with recombination, the red line is our prediction without recombination; as we guessed, recombination increases your chance of being genetically related to your ancestors, though it still drops of pretty dramatically; after 10 generations, only about 12% of your genealogical tree is in your genetic tree.

The probability of having DNA from all of your genealogical ancestors at a particular generation becomes vanishingly small very rapidly; there is a 99.6% chance that you will have DNA from all of your 16 great-great grandparents, only a 54% of sharing DNA with all 32 of your G-G-G grandparents, and a 0.01% chance for your 64 G-G-G-G grandparents. You only have to go back 5 generations for genealogical relatives to start dropping off your DNA tree.)))))

http://www.genetic-inference.co.uk/blog/2009/...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#46564 Sep 18, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no X from your dad period, unless you're female.
That is what I said, either from my grandfather or grandmother on my mother's side.
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#46565 Sep 18, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I can't read the genetic code, and neither can anyone on earth. That doesn't mean it doesn't have language type funcitonality. Chinese may look like hen scratching, but it is a complex language, just as is DNA
Why is DNA a language?

It's a long molecule that self-replicates and creates proteins. Those proteins do some pretty tricky things when left to their own devices, but they are still just chemicals trapped in a semi-permeable membrane.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Is revenant

#46566 Sep 18, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I read a National Geographic article last week that claimed there might be huge deposits of methane trapped in arctic ice. It might not take thousands of years with the global warming that's happening now.
Yes sadly, but the Permian Triassic extinction took a period over 10,000 years,
I'm accelerating it x10 because we are causing it much faster.
I hope we have some time to counter it anyway.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Is revenant

#46567 Sep 18, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen a cloudlike hand pictured in stone and it is a real lapis stone. It can be seen on the Bible Belt profile in the Science forum topix The theory of Intelligent Design thread. The Bible tells us God created the Heavens and the Earth through his Word, however his cloudlike hand was seen by many people in the Old Testament.

Mushrooms and or peyote helped them to see the hand of god.
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#46568 Sep 18, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I said, either from my grandfather or grandmother on my mother's side.
OK. However, I think you both are missing the point that mDNA is independent of meiosis. It's like a bacteria inside your body's cells, and it only comes from the maternal side because the process of fertilization does not pass mitochondria and their mDNA to the egg.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#46569 Sep 18, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
Actually we both may be wrong. It could have been lost over many generations dropping a little in each new recombination.
Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is not part of the nuclear DNA (the DNA that includes the X and Y chromosomes).

MtDNA is passed from mother to children with only the occasional mutation. It does not recombine.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#46570 Sep 18, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. However, I think you both are missing the point that mDNA is independent of meiosis. It's like a bacteria inside your body's cells, and it only comes from the maternal side because the process of fertilization does not pass mitochondria and their mDNA to the egg.
I retracted claim almost immediately when I looked up mDNA on the web, and included a link. So, I was missing the point, but I corrected myself long ago.

Check out my post right after my initial claim on the previous page.
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#46571 Sep 18, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I retracted claim almost immediately when I looked up mDNA on the web, and included a link. So, I was missing the point, but I corrected myself long ago.
Check out my post right after my initial claim on the previous page.
No worries. It's not a contest.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#46572 Sep 18, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I can't read the genetic code, and neither can anyone on earth. That doesn't mean it doesn't have language type funcitonality. Chinese may look like hen scratching, but it is a complex language, just as is DNA

I can't read the hen scratching, and neither can anyone on earth. That doesn't mean it doesn't have language type functionality.

Putz

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#46573 Sep 18, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>As with all the DarwinBots on this forum, you are a mindless sheep who simply goes with the flow. You believe whatever ypu're told. If you had lived 500 years ago, you would have believed that the earth was the center of the solar system.

Okay, it was a tough and complex issue I brought up. Don't feel bad for failing so badly on your first attempt. Read the post again and try to find some OBJECTIVE, RATIONAL reason for your both your emotionalism and you inability to address the points it contained.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is that someone on the internet, who is ignorant of science, quote pseudoscience mythology, denies real science and cannot back it up with more than his own opinion, is not one to be taken seriously.
You are arguing with thousands of professional scientists.
These scientists have years of professional training in the scientific area in which they research and publish. As a group they are very diverse, male, female, fairly young, old, are from every major religion, from all parts of the world, from every ethnic, social and financial background. They scrutinize each others work and are always working to discover the next new thing in very competitive fields.
Yet you, claim they are all wrong (not possible) or are all lying (possible if you are paranoid) and that a very small number of people, most of whom could never get a real job doing scientific research, have all the answers. Further, to know this great truth you must be smarter than all these MILLIONS (globally) of scientists.
Sounds pretty iffy to me.
What is more, to participate in the creation myth it is required that one not only reject biology, but all the other allied sciences that provide supporting evolution. This would include physics (e.g. radiometric dating), Chemistry (e.g. biochemistry and abiogenesis), Geology (age of earth, age of fossils), Anthropology (e.g. evolution of man), Paleontology (e.g. evolution of other organisms), Genetics (e.g. evolutionary remnants, molecular clock, etc.)....... and the list goes on.
Let me ask you; do you believe the world is literally 6,000 years old and was once completely flooded? Do you believe in talking snakes and unicorns? I bet you do.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#46574 Sep 18, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You answered my question... You think that everything is relative. You don't think that DNA is any more complex than a random sequence.

It is relative.

DNA contains complex chemistry. But it is completely a chemical. And how that chemical interacts with other chemicals essentially determines who we are.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#46575 Sep 18, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That was amazing. You began by mixing two formerly clever clichés about worthlessness - "Put yadda in one hand, pee in the other, and see which fills up the fastest" and something like "That and dollar will get you a cup of coffee" - and you came up with a spiritually vacuous thought equating the value of language skills with a dollar.
Then, you attempt to link capitalization to reality and indoctrination.
I don't know if we can blame your religion directly for that, but according to both the Sanhedrin and Pilate, Jesus also committed capital offenses, and you may have misunderstood what that meant.
LOL...Your Always Good For A Laugh, Doc

That's What You Gleaned From That ? Listen Carefully, Slowly Back Away From The Marijuana.....Its Not Helping Your Philosophy Or Your Comprehension.....LOL

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#46576 Sep 18, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Evolutionary theory has no peer review whatsoever.

I am at a loss. Are you on E.crack or Crystal meth?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2words into 2new words (May '12) 3 min Mustang GT Girl 3,772
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 4 min Denny CranesPlace 19,983
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 7 min Mustang GT Girl 59,832
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 9 min Mustang GT Girl 44,597
~`*`~ Create a sentence using the 'letters' of ... (Oct '12) 19 min Grace Nerissa 3,337
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 20 min Denny CranesPlace 59,698
Some day, I would love to_______________? (Sep '12) 24 min Poppyann 682
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 45 min revilot2 19,717
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 hr wichita-rick 197,327
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 7 hr TheJerseyDevil 8,810
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 7 hr Spotted Girl 601
More from around the web