Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221446 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#46324 Sep 17, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm.
Are you saying the following:
There is no science in the moon's orbit around the earth??
Dreamer, that can never be evolution...
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#46325 Sep 17, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Dreamer, that can never be evolution...
The moon likely has a great deal to do with evolution. Early oceanic life may never have evolved into more complicated species if not for the effect of the tides.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

“First it steals your mind..”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#46326 Sep 17, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Dreamer, that can never be evolution...
I wasn't talking about evolution now.

I was asking you about the moon's orbit around earth.

Can you explain why the moon is in orbit, why does it not get pulled into earth?
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#46327 Sep 17, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Irony!
Typical nature of you. Liar!
What is so ironic? Most people here read and understand what they link to. You've been pulling a mystical crystal ball out from under your robes that has clear logical problem, so people want explanations. All you're doing is questioning the authority of the authors that are linked to.

Still true to form. Members of an authoritarian order don't ask questions, do they?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#46328 Sep 17, 2012
'm entirely in favor of the term "research". I'm even entirely in favor of research, itself. But I'm not in favor of people trying to shift the burden to others when they make claims.
The person who makes the claim is the person who should do the research. You made a claim, but you're unwilling to do the research.
Why are you so lazy? You think it's ok to make claims that you can't back up?
<quoted text>
Nope. Provide (1) the quote written by Albright in which he claims to be an atheist, and then (2) the title of the document in which he wrote it, with any publication information.
But thanks for admitting that you have no conception of what a "source" is for purposes of research. I suppose that when you write a paper for an instructor, and they ask you to cite your sources, you just write "online" and leave it at that, eh?(That would get you an "F" in any high school or college classroom.)
Charles Idemi wrote:
In summary, his biography are on the internets( google, wiki etc).
In summary, you are engaged in hand waving. You have no evidence.

You're either lazy or a fraud. Which is it?

Tampa, FL

#46329 Sep 17, 2012
Who created Satan?
<quoted text>
According to you, there is. In your worldview, who created Satan?
Charles Idemi wrote:
But you guys claimed...
Not an answer. Try again. In your worldview, who created Satan?

Tampa, FL

#46330 Sep 17, 2012
From talkorigins.org : "Homology is not defined as similarity due to common ancestry and then used as evidence for common ancestry. Rather, the evidence for common ancestry comes from the patterns of similarity of many traits. These similarities show that organisms group naturally into a nested hierarchy. For example, that ladybugs and scarabs are both types of beetle is based on various common traits such as hardened front wings; beetles, flies, and grasshoppers are types of insect; insects, scorpions, and centipedes are types of arthropod. Such grouping does not depend on any assumptions about origins and in fact was first codified by Linnaeus, a creationist. A grouping suggested by many common traits is evidence of common ancestry. This is true no matter what you choose to call the traits. The homology label gets added after the evidence for common ancestry is already in."
Charles Idemi wrote:
We have a common ancestry with other apes, because we are all created by God.
No, we have a common ancestry with other apes because we are all descended from a common ancestral population.

Tampa, FL

#46331 Sep 17, 2012
You failed to address this statement: "Creationists themselves disagree about which intermediate hominids are human and which are ape (Foley 2002)."
Charles Idemi wrote:
All humans, whether ancients or modern are the same. Remember, we came from them.
I didn't ask you anything about "all humans". You didn't address the statement. Try again.

Tampa, FL

#46332 Sep 17, 2012
I provided evidence.
How do you explain the evidence?
Charles Idemi wrote:
I do not subscribe myself to fabricated and impossible evidence.
That's great, but the evidence that was provided to you was neither fabricated nor impossible.

How do you explain that evidence?

Tampa, FL

#46333 Sep 17, 2012
The similarities are also very clear.
Yup, you ran away again, instead of refuting the evidence.
Charles Idemi wrote:
No!
The similarities, shows that, a creator is at work.
No, the similarities are evidence that support common ancestry.

Tampa, FL

#46334 Sep 17, 2012
From talkorigins.org : "Homology is not defined as similarity due to common ancestry and then used as evidence for common ancestry. Rather, the evidence for common ancestry comes from the patterns of similarity of many traits. These similarities show that organisms group naturally into a nested hierarchy. For example, that ladybugs and scarabs are both types of beetle is based on various common traits such as hardened front wings; beetles, flies, and grasshoppers are types of insect; insects, scorpions, and centipedes are types of arthropod. Such grouping does not depend on any assumptions about origins and in fact was first codified by Linnaeus, a creationist. A grouping suggested by many common traits is evidence of common ancestry. This is true no matter what you choose to call the traits. The homology label gets added after the evidence for common ancestry is already in."
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>The same refuted junk(fallacy).
It's not a fallacy, and so far, you've failed to refute it. Try again.

Tampa, FL

#46335 Sep 17, 2012
From talkorigins: "Creationists themselves disagree about which intermediate hominids are human and which are ape (Foley 2002)."
Charles Idemi wrote:
Christians, do disagree
Not about which intermediate hominids are human and which are ape. Why is that?

Tampa, FL

#46336 Sep 17, 2012
No, I'm saying the same thing that I've always said: that the population of modern humans and the population of modern chimpanzees are descended from a common ancestral population of great apes.
Charles Idemi wrote:
This is just an opinion.
An opinion supported by the evidence.
Charles Idemi wrote:
You can not force that, to the majority.
Majority of who? A majority of Americans (of those who have an opinion on the topic) already support evolution. So what majority are you talking about?

Tampa, FL

#46337 Sep 17, 2012
The similarities show that the two populations are descended from a common population, via evolution.
Charles Idemi wrote:
Wrong!
Wild guessing can never be an answer.
No "wild guessing" was involved. The evidence supports common descent.

Tampa, FL

#46338 Sep 17, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
The difference only shows that, humans never evolved from any apes.
How do the differences show that?

Tampa, FL

#46339 Sep 17, 2012
A lack of belief is not a belief. You said that I had "beliefs".
What beliefs?
And you still didn't say what was being averted. Avert *what*?
Charles Idemi wrote:
Good to hear that, you believe in nothing.
I don't believe in a god. I may believe in other non-supernatural things, but not in a god or any other supernatural being.
Charles Idemi wrote:
So, what has your believe in nothing, done to avert that?
To avert *what*? You keep saying "avert that", but you won't explain what "that" is. Do you understand English?

Tampa, FL

#46340 Sep 17, 2012
The voices of atheists are heard everywhere: TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, books, on the Web. I guess you were unaware of that.
Charles Idemi wrote:
I am very aware of that.
So you were lying. I'm glad that you admit it.
Charles Idemi wrote:
Your group are still in the minority, Why?
Actually, those who do not believe in a god are in the *majority* in many European countries.

Why are theists in the *minority* in those countries?

Tampa, FL

#46341 Sep 17, 2012
From modern worms? No. From a worm-like creature living hundreds of millions of years ago? Quite probably.
Charles Idemi wrote:
Exaggerations!!!
Apparently, you don't know what the word "exaggeration" means in English, just like you didn't know what the word "fiasco" meant.

Tampa, FL

#46342 Sep 17, 2012
Because humans, like other living things, are mortal.
Charles Idemi wrote:
That alone, proves the immortal
How does the fact that living things are mortal "prove the immortal"?

Tampa, FL

#46343 Sep 17, 2012
True or false: You've never presented here a quote written by Albright himself where he claims to be an atheist. I say that's a true statement. Is it a true statement?
Charles Idemi wrote:
He is no longer alive to defend himself.
He didn't leave any writings behind? You have *nothing* written by him where he said that he was an atheist?

Thanks for admitting that my statement was true and that you can't prove that he was an atheist. It's about time that you came to your senses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 1 min Princess Finny Fe... 3,947
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 3 min Princess Finny Fe... 75,312
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 7 min Jennifer Renee 23,779
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 18 min twowheelsforever 21,925
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 18 min Raven Queenheart 15,801
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 20 min Raven Queenheart 16,690
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 22 min Raven Queenheart 4,095
A to Z songs by title or group! 36 min T Bone 1,827
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 59 min Sharlene45 217,243
More from around the web