Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222984 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

smith1

Houston, TX

#32085 Jun 30, 2012
Gillette wrote:
>>>>Neuromap1004
That seems like a very reasonable theory. But wait - I smell something fishy in this argument.
Darwin said: "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."
>>>Gillette
I'm stunned. Did you just post the infamous Darwin Eye Quote? LOL!
You understand that this is only a partial quote, dishonestly taken OUT OF CONTEXT by you Christian predecessors? You understand that Darwin, in his book, was doing the standard rhetorical gambit of presenting an argument against one of his points, only to demolish it by writing 3 whole pages to demonstrate how the eye evolved in stages?
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB301.h...
You won't ever be taken seriously in a discussion like this if you blunder in with the Eye Quote.:)
>>>>NeuropMap1004
I hope we find some eyeball fossils that support the speculation.
>>>Gillette
Hardly speculation when we have millions of bits of evidence, both in the fossil record AND in the variety of sight mechanisms we see around us in biological species today.
>>>>NeuropMap1004
Seems eyeballs on the side of the head are considered far more effective against predators approaching from the front or rear, as opposed to the current configuration.
>>>Gillette
They were not "considered" by anyone, They evolved that way through trial and error, with natural selection favoring those individuals with a wider angle of vision, who thus gained a reproductive advantaged and passed those genes down.
A perfect example of the Theory of Evolution at work. Thank you.
>>>>NeuropMap1004
wondering how humans survived against predators and found food before full sight was acheived - that being the ultimate intent of the evolved eye?
>>>Gillette
The eye had evolved in mammals long before humans came around,
And there never was any "intent" involved. Evolution is an unguided process.
With this government and president we have now, i am beginning to believe in evulution. I think all in the white house actually came from apes and not years ago, but very, very recently. It is making a believer out of me.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#32086 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple heaven is outside of space time. God can be in all places at the same time.
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL....Hey Stupid
No Man Has Gone To Heaven....Its In The Bible...Read It.
Heaven Is Coming To Earth....At The Mount Of Olives In Jerusalem.
Bring A Lawn Chair And Watch.
wolvie says that no man has gone to heaven, but jesus said that the robber was going to be with him, in heaven. Either wolvie or jesus is lying.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#32087 Jun 30, 2012
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok here I think that is bull...of course was there that a place to play they would had to let the children play while being so busy setting up places planets and all...
I think the wise man though weren't all that wise, and I still say Eve set them straight and told em' to hand over their clothe as it was their clothing...
Enter to the Park here children listen she would have said bug off taken the clothes and designed them some outfits...To purity they were doing that just messing around...
You know hide and seek and wondering what a little stone could and couldn't do stuff like that, finding little shrimp things in a stream or just about anything but deceiving themselves...
For they must have been close in you know relatively speaking as such it were a real...
For many cling onto the words...
See how that can happen had my intro to it, Religion...but that is now some way back or rather to put it laid to rest...
Or aside for sure that...
OK Ms Tinka, you totally lost me there. Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to say in plain English...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Level 1

Pittsburgh, PA

#32088 Jun 30, 2012
Neuromap1004 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know atheists and evolutionists never do this with the Bible.
I get told that, every time I quote the bible, but I quote the entire thought! So, I ask them to make the quote complete and thus turning my evil sounding partial quote into complete, loving, quote.

Such as:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Correct this for me.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#32089 Jun 30, 2012
>>>Neuromap1004
I agree. And the alternate to that is called confirmation bias. You "believe" in evolution, so it must be true. You will interpret data as necessary to form a narrative that supports it, always.

>>>Gillette
Err, no, THis is wishful thinking on the part of you Christians.

We don't "believe" in evolution, we accept the billions of tons of evidence FOR it.

If you Christians were to come up with convincing, irrefutable, peer-reviewed evidence that evolution is wrong, we would accept THAT -- and you would make millions and win a Nobel prize.

We both know THAT'S not going to happen, don't we?:)

>>>Neuromap1004
By the way, gravity is a physical property whose force can be measured and predicted.

>>>Gillette
And the Theory of Gravity explains how the fact of gravity works.

Evolution can also be measured and often predicted by both the fossil record and especially the DNA genome.

>>>Neuromap1004
Evolution is a biological process whose theory and action are under continuous study and thus subject to future change. Why else would this discussion forum exist unless it is under some minor doubt. There is a reason everyone believes in gravity but not everyone shares enthusiasm for evolution.

>>>Gillette
The reason for this forum and for any controversy about evolution is absolutely NOT a scientific reason. It's a political/religious one.

There are Christians among you how have decided that they HAVE to attack evolution, otherwise their whole theological edifice collapses like a house of cards.

No instant special creation of two first humans, Adam & Eve = no Fall in the Garden = no reason for Jesus to "come down and die for our sins" = no reason to become a Christian and be "saved."

So yeah, you Christians are going to fight hard against evolution, in every way you can.:)

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#32091 Jun 30, 2012
Neuromap1004 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank goodness we finally have a witness to the non-existence of the event. Where were you actually standing? Somewhere in a tree eating a partially evolved banana? And please share your time travel technology.
You see, the event, whether imaginary, symbolic, or non-existent as described, is considered to be part of the Creator's plan. God, by definition knew it would happen. Endowed with the capacity for self determination and decisions to yield to or to resist temptation, humankind was allowed to accept responsibility for their actions. The justice system in society suggests this is a generally accepted notion of fairness. We would all like to keep our children cute and innocent, but realize they must grow up and accept responsibility. God is not the author of evil, yet humankind is capable of it even more so than satan, assuming one accepts the existence.
God allows this. If he did not, we would be nothing more than robots or puppets. It seems fair to say we would not be happy and incapable of conceiving of a creator. But instead, good or bad, suffering or pleasure.in the end, all things glorify God. Without temptation there is no virtue. Without suffering there can be no percieved pleasure.That even a few who believe would behave with good intention affects the outcome for many. Even some actions considered evil by most turn out to have long range good outcomes.
If one doesn't believe the details listed for the creation account, one would still have to acknowledge that in human evolution there came a time when humans became ultimately aware of their existence and their responsibility for their personal survival. That a work written so long ago would articulate this, even in a imaginative narrative, seems remarkable.
Yeah, I was standing at the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates, talking with Hammurabi, when I didn’t witness anything…especially nothing to do with Adam and Eve…:-)

I believe that Christianity must now give up the Adam and Eve story and find a new dogma. Archaeology and DNA science have pretty much disproven the old story of the first couple. The new and revised saga of the rise of mankind is much more intriguing and colorful…and true. If Paul hadn’t invented the “Original sin” story and tied Adam and Eve into it, Christianity wouldn’t be in such a pickle.

Now we can prove the story, as written in the Bible, never happened, the couple never existed, and this really screws up the dogma of needing Jesus to expiate our ‘sins’. No Adam and Eve, no “Original Sin”, no need for Jesus. The whole religion thing is made up, and the people who then and now represent (ed) it are con-men of the highest order.

“Maccullochella macquariensis”

Since: May 08

Melbourne, Australia

#32092 Jun 30, 2012
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
What's relevance, is it not a glance at a reality? Relativeness...
As there are the Gods would that not mean the worlds are plenty too?
To house the people...which are part of the God House by now for sure or?
Oh and let me ask you, do you feel a real as well means truth?
I am so on the line still hooked almost from another's posters theory or something about it...Truths that would have to be a part of someone...
To shed that how do lies allign, not all too well hu? Seems in turn truth then at some point would re-appear and one must ask then nothing really sometimes it's just like...
Leave it to fiction of one's heart maybe...
Oh do remember it's just a weekend a Saturday no tasks for some just to laleela some time away...
Some must think a real includes that chores of somethings...
I think I could do without a yard and much rather take a stroll to a park...
I'd lay off the wacky tobacky if I were you...

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#32093 Jun 30, 2012
Bluenose wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd lay off the wacky tobacky if I were you...
Behind that frothy, ethereal, fairy-like facade exists a mind like a steel bear trap; sharp and efficient.
XD
Seriously!
KJV

United States

#32095 Jun 30, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>wolverine wrote, "<quoted text>
LOL....Hey Stupid
No Man Has Gone To Heaven....Its In The Bible...Read It.
Heaven Is Coming To Earth....At The Mount Of Olives In Jerusalem.
Bring A Lawn Chair And Watch.
"

wolvie says that no man has gone to heaven, but jesus said that the robber was going to be with him, in heaven. Either wolvie or jesus is lying.
No one is lying you are just incapable of understand it. Your mind is stuck in a universe that has time so you are having difficulty thinking outside of that box.

“Maccullochella macquariensis”

Since: May 08

Melbourne, Australia

#32096 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is lying you are just incapable of understand it. Your mind is stuck in a universe that has time so you are having difficulty thinking outside of that box.
KABOOM!

Irony meter duz it...

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#32097 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
Evolution provides the scientific orthodoxy for the philosophies of Marxism, fascism, racism, apartheid and unbridled capitalism.
Marxism AND Capitalism? You ARE an idiot.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#32098 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Theistic evolutionists have a problem too. If God used the evolutionary method, then He is the author of pain and suffering and evil. God becomes a devil. Only an initially perfect world, created by a loving God but ruined by the entrance of sin can account for both the good and evil which we find around us."
"Evolution (including presumably theistic evolution) is a continuing process. Darwin’s book, The Origin of Species, was subtitled, The preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life. Evolution provides the scientific orthodoxy for the philosophies of Marxism, fascism, racism, apartheid and unbridled capitalism.
Evolution lowers man from the “image of God” to the level of an animal. Why then should he not behave as one, in his own life and towards others?"
Your Bible and Jesus Freak religion has its hands absolutely COVERED in blood and has, historically, been the cause of nearly all of the war, killing and bloodshed in the western world (and elsewhere) until the beginning of the 20th century.

You and your bloodthirsty Christian friends are in no position to accuse Darwin or science of anything.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#32099 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you show us a universe that DOESN'T have time?

And while you're at it, Einstein, could you explain to us WTF that would even MEAN? LOL!
KJV

United States

#32100 Jun 30, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>Marxism AND Capitalism? You ARE an idiot.
No, I'm not. I just have different believes than you.
KJV

United States

#32101 Jun 30, 2012
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>Your Bible and Jesus Freak religion has its hands absolutely COVERED in blood and has, historically, been the cause of nearly all of the war, killing and bloodshed in the western world (and elsewhere) until the beginning of the 20th century.

You and your bloodthirsty Christian friends are in no position to accuse Darwin or science of anything.
That would be incorrect. Religion is guilty of some of those charges but the bible didn't do it.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#32102 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain to us how evolution lays the foundation for Marxism AND capitalism. You do understand that they are diametrically opposed societal and economic systems, yes?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#32103 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
Your "believes" have rendered you incapable of rational thought.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#32104 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be incorrect. Religion is guilty of some of those charges but the bible didn't do it.
No, Christian idiots reading the "actual words of God" written in your Buybull have taken actual "Words of God" such as "His blood be on us and our children" to oppress, torture and murder Jews for 2000 years all in the name of your %$#@@ Jesus.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Level 1

Pittsburgh, PA

#32105 Jun 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So, when jesus said,'today', he really didn't mean,'today', as the person he was communicating with, is that correct? Makes sense, when god said that he created everything in six days and rested for one, he didn't mean our,'days'. Do you know what they call it when a communicator uses terms, which confuse his listenets?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Level 1

Pittsburgh, PA

#32106 Jun 30, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Marxism AND Capitalism? You ARE an idiot.
Obviously!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
True False Game (Jun '11) 1 hr Gunslinger45 15,904
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 1 hr Gunslinger45 17,879
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. (Oct '16) 1 hr Mustang GT Girl 3,987
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 1 hr Faerydust 62,362
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 hr Faerydust 150,622
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 hr Faerydust 8,827
News JonBenet Ramsey murder: Bizarre elements behind... (Sep '16) 2 hr Right44 48
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr wichita-rick 225,333
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 5 hr quilterqueen 6,551
what's your favorite animal? (May '10) 5 hr Suezanne 341
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 5 hr 8541 MARINE 30,851
More from around the web