Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
bohart

Newport, TN

#23468 Apr 29, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>If you meant that evolution started with the big bang, you need to learn at least the very fundamental basics of a theory before you even attempt to disprove it. The theory of evolution in no way attempts to describe the beginnings of the universe. you have crossed into a fully different field of study. go back and read a primer on evolution. it doesn't even attempt to explain how life on Earth started...
next..you need to look up what a singularity is before you again attempt to talk about a theory that you have no idea of. This field is cosmology...far from biology (evolution). The singularity that you are talking about in the big bang theory would have actually been EVERYTHING, not nothing.
Please don't speak further on subjects you haven't even cracked a basic 7th grade level textbook on....
Langolier is right, there is not a single scientific textbook in high school, college or graduate school that doesn't begin with an explosion from a point so small it's practically nothing , causing a lava encompassed earth to cool when somehow an atmosphere emerges causing rain to fall on the lava and cool it, resulting in puddles of primordal soup from which life sprang .This theory is the linchpin of evoultion.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#23469 Apr 29, 2012
Well I better leave this thread you are all ganging up on me and I am making far too many typo's

I just can't take the pressure any more.

;)

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#23470 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
S L O W I T. D O W N. S O. I C A N. F O L L O W. Y O U.
Just trying to point out your erroe so you don't look so foolish in the future. not ganging up on you or anything else....

Location hidden

#23471 Apr 29, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>Langolier is right, there is not a single scientific textbook in high school, college or graduate school that doesn't begin with an explosion from a point so small it's practically nothing , causing a lava encompassed earth to cool when somehow an atmosphere emerges causing rain to fall on the lava and cool it, resulting in puddles of primordal soup from which life sprang .This theory is the linchpin of evoultion.
Some one to my aid. I'm rescued! And you over looked all of my typos.

I did think the primordial soap was funny.

St. Croix valley

#23472 Apr 29, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Langolier is right, there is not a single scientific textbook in high school, college or graduate school that doesn't begin with an explosion from a point so small it's practically nothing , causing a lava encompassed earth to cool when somehow an atmosphere emerges causing rain to fall on the lava and cool it, resulting in puddles of primordal soup from which life sprang .This theory is the linchpin of evoultion.
Perhaps you can borrow the 7th grade level textbook from langoliers when he finishes learning what a singularity really is.
Again, You also have crossed several different fields of study and tried to tie them to the theory of evolution, which doesn't even touch on those subjects as it is not even in the same area of science. Do you fully understand how stupid this makes you look? you do not even understand the most basic concpts of science enough to tell which field they belong in...
you have less than a fifth grade level of understanding of science...how do you function in the real world?

St. Croix valley

#23474 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Some one to my aid. I'm rescued! And you over looked all of my typos.
your mistakes about the very basics of science were not rescued....

Location hidden

#23475 Apr 29, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>your mistakes about the very basics of science were not rescued....
Oh darn here I thought I was rescued.
I guess I am suppose to bow down to you know? The all knowing mighty woodtick. Because its in a book does not make it so. And to tell you the truth I think you need to put down the comic books and graduate to "Hard cover books" and reality.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#23476 Apr 29, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you offering as an alternative? An invisible bloodthirsty savage that can do whatever it likes?

St. Croix valley

#23477 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh darn here I thought I was rescued.
I guess I am suppose to bow down to you know? The all knowing mighty woodtick. Because its in a book does not make it so. And to tell you the truth I think you need to put down the comic books and graduate to "Hard cover books" and reality.
is there some part of what I said you need further explanation on?

Would you apply that third sentence of yours to all books? the bible perhaps?

Level 4

Lansdale, PA

#23478 Apr 29, 2012
THE REAL HABESHA wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, in matter of god which for convenience I would translate that word as 'originator of everything' leaving aside all personal gods, ect., no one can DENY or AFFIRM the existence of it. Both position require knowledge, not necessaily absolute knowledge, or evidences. Nor an atheists nor believers have enough evidence to support their views. There is not full knowledge of evolution theory, but it's accompanied by good evidences and many accept it as true.
You don't seem to understand the concept that you don't need absolute knowledge to take a position. In fact, in many cases you need to take a position, even if you dont have absolute knowledge.
How do you behave in real life? Do you pray to God? As per your opinion, since you cannot confirm that God exists, you cannot pray to God, can you? So functionally, you are an atheist.

Location hidden

#23479 Apr 29, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>is there some part of what I said you need further explanation on?

Would you apply that third sentence of yours to all books? the bible perhaps?
Ooooh I do hope I sounded pissed off enough. I really wanted to make it sound like your insults were really getting to me. How was it?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#23480 Apr 29, 2012
bohart wrote:
Langolier is right, there is not a single scientific textbook in high school, college or graduate school that doesn't begin with an explosion from a point so small it's practically nothing
Actually, most scientific textbooks don't even mention the Big Bang unless they are specifically about cosmology. Do you really think that college-level and graduate-level chemistry and biology textbooks all discuss the Big Bang?
bohart wrote:
...causing a lava encompassed earth to cool when somehow an atmosphere emerges
I take it that you're unaware that volcanic activity generates gasses? So why wouldn't an atmosphere emerge?
bohart wrote:
...resulting in puddles of primordal soup from which life sprang .
Well, at least you didn't say "soap". But it's not "pre mortal", and it's not "primordal". It's "primordial". And for all we know, life didn't originate in any "puddle". It may have originated in the oceans near geothermal vents.
bohart wrote:
This theory is the linchpin of evoultion.
On the contrary, neither the Big Bang Theory nor abiogenesis is a linchpin of evolution. Evolution cares not a whit whether the first living things arose from non-living matter on a 4-billion-year-old planet (one that was generated from matter that came about after the Big Bang), or whether a skypixie poofed the Universe, the Solar System, the Earth, and the first living thing into existence all at once (or over a work week). None of that changes whether or not all of the things alive today are the product of a common ancestral population resulting from such natural processes as reproduction with variation and natural selection.

Perhaps you need to study evolution itself. Then you would realize that, and stop confusing it with cosmology and abiogenesis.

Tampa, FL

#23481 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
You mean "pre mortal soap".

Tampa, FL

#23482 Apr 29, 2012
rpk58 wrote:
You don't seem to understand the concept that you don't need absolute knowledge to take a position. In fact, in many cases you need to take a position, even if you dont have absolute knowledge.
Yup. Heck, our justice system wouldn't even survive if we required absolute knowledge. At best, we have "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Science meets that burden. Religious belief does not.

“THINK! It only hurts at first”

Level 2

Reality

#23483 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I'm waiting for the great in site of where he got his (can I call it worthless) degree? And why is it that his choice of the school he went too is worthless?
Insight.. but that aside, all of his "degrees" are non-accredited. I could start a school next weekend that teaches all science is wrong (saves time on having to teach all that complicated stuff) and that the known universe is contained within a pimple on the ass of a student going through puberty. Make up an apocalypse scenario that sounds scary in the context I set up, but is completely ridiculous so that I don't have to actually prove any of it... say, The Great Wedgie, where the student gets attacked in a hallway and in the process the ass pimple bursts.

I could legally charge whatever I wanted to teach people this nonsense, and print out whatever pieces of paper with whatever titles I wanted to bestow in return. They'd be worthless, of course, but you could still claim you have them. I'd have to look up the details, but there was a case a few years back where someone was bragging about being a doctor, until someone presented a doctor from the same university... their cat. All it takes for most of those places is a few checks and a bit of paperwork, no actual classes.

Diploma mills are never accredited because no one in their right mind would call years of hard study and research equal to signing a paper and sending a check.

Level 2

Reality

#23484 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.bible.ca/tracks/tracks.htm
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good theory.
Richard Dawkins, Oxford "alleged human bones in the Carboniferous coal deposits. If authenticated as human, these bones would blow the theory of evolution out of the water." (Free Inquiry, V.21, No.4, 10/11/2001)
Richard Dawkins, Oxford "...there are certain things about the fossil record that any evolutionist should expect to be true. We should be very surprised, for example, to find fossil humans appearing in the record before mammals are supposed to have evolved! If a single, well verified mammal skull were to turn up in 500 million year old rocks, our whole modern theory of evolution would be utterly destroyed. Incidentally, this is a sufficient answer to the canard, put about by creationist and their journalistic fellow travelers, that the whole theory of evolution is an 'unfalsifiable' tautology. Ironically, it is also the reason why creationist are so keen on the fake human footprints, which were carved during the depression to fool tourist, in the dinosaur beds of Texas," (The Blind Watchmaker, 1986, p.225)
Your ability to quote things which disprove you and call them evidence for your side is amazing. Did they coat your brain in teflon or something? Is that why nothing sticks?

Level 2

Reality

#23485 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I got your attention
A child finger painting with the contents of their diaper would get my attention too. Wouldn't exactly say either turned out to shake the foundations of human knowledge or artistic ability.

Level 2

Reality

#23486 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you call it what it is " a theory "
And billions can accept it as true, thats still does not make it true.
One can hope that you feel as strongly about the theory of gravity, and that maybe you'll float away.

Level 2

Reality

#23487 Apr 29, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Evaluation: Starts with the big bang
It's hard to take someone seriously in a debate when they can't even bring themselves to type the word they're disputing. The first time, I thought you'd just spell checked incorrectly, but after this many times, it's some kind of psychological issue.

Level 2

Reality

#23488 Apr 29, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it isn't. It's the linchpin of a lot of different theories. Evolution doesn't kick in until quite a bit after all that stuff is over with.

I still don't get why everyone argues with evolution when they're really upset about abiogenesis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
An Army of Fluffers Part III 4 min dragoon70056 2
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 5 min -Lea- 121
What's your tip for the day? 6 min dragoon70056 1,808
Back To The Future 7 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 8 min dragoon70056 2,866
HOW LONG can you hold YOUR SEMEN ? For men only. (Mar '12) 9 min A Noted Ferrerman 34
Why Is Ferrerman Such A SISSY? 9 min dragoon70056 5
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 19 min CrunchyBacon 25,563
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 28 min Princess Hey 173
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr _hellbilly_ 152,433
"OLD SAYINGS" - - - Feel free to post them here... 3 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 78
More from around the web