Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222780 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“THINK! It only hurts at first”

Level 2

Since: Apr 12

Reality

#23494 Apr 29, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
ya think this piece of rock evolved
*sigh*

I really wish people would stop using "evolved" when they have no idea what the word means. That's a third of the problem we have in this debate is that public usage of the word has become, frankly, stupid. If I go to a drive through, they're not evolving me a burger ffs.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#23495 Apr 29, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps you can borrow the 7th grade level textbook from langoliers when he finishes learning what a singularity really is.
Again, You also have crossed several different fields of study and tried to tie them to the theory of evolution, which doesn't even touch on those subjects as it is not even in the same area of science. Do you fully understand how stupid this makes you look? you do not even understand the most basic concpts of science enough to tell which field they belong in...
you have less than a fifth grade level of understanding of science...how do you function in the real world?
Great reply, lots of insults, but that can be expected......when you cannot answer a mans arguments all is not lost, you can still call him vile names. Elbert Hubbard
bohart

White Pine, TN

#23496 Apr 29, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
What, exactly, does the theory of evolution say? Can you sum it up for us, please?
Is what I said in a science textbook or not ? answer that.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#23497 Apr 29, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, most scientific textbooks don't even mention the Big Bang unless they are specifically about cosmology. Do you really think that college-level and graduate-level chemistry and biology textbooks all discuss the Big Bang?
<quoted text>
I take it that you're unaware that volcanic activity generates gasses? So why wouldn't an atmosphere emerge?
<quoted text>
Well, at least you didn't say "soap". But it's not "pre mortal", and it's not "primordal". It's "primordial". And for all we know, life didn't originate in any "puddle". It may have originated in the oceans near geothermal vents.
<quoted text>
On the contrary, neither the Big Bang Theory nor abiogenesis is a linchpin of evolution. Evolution cares not a whit whether the first living things arose from non-living matter on a 4-billion-year-old planet (one that was generated from matter that came about after the Big Bang), or whether a skypixie poofed the Universe, the Solar System, the Earth, and the first living thing into existence all at once (or over a work week). None of that changes whether or not all of the things alive today are the product of a common ancestral population resulting from such natural processes as reproduction with variation and natural selection.
Perhaps you need to study evolution itself. Then you would realize that, and stop confusing it with cosmology and abiogenesis.
Thank you for the spelling correction, primordial!I don't confuse cosmology, evolution and abiogenesis.It is not I that have linked them together, but the world of science that has chained them to one another.How many scientists have you seen that advocate a creator and the evolution of the created life? Few if any ,further the purpose of the theory of evolution is to explain life without a creator , to deny that is to debate in dishonesty.

Level 4

Since: Mar 09

Hidden

#23498 Apr 30, 2012
PaidAttentionInSchool wrote:
<quoted text>
One can hope that you feel as strongly about the theory of gravity, and that maybe you'll float away.
I detect a Minchinism....

Level 2

Reality

#23499 Apr 30, 2012
CTEd wrote:
<quoted text>
I detect a Minchinism....
I must admit to rewatching a bit of him before posting that =)
JBH

Richmond, Canada

#23500 Apr 30, 2012
Obama ALWAYS SPEAKS WITH A FOOT IN HIS MOUTH ALL OF MANY TIMES.

OBAMA IS THE DUMBEST, AS ALL OF THE TIMES HAVE BEEN SHOWING SUCH ridiculous dumb OBAMA that people have gotten to know of.

Obama has nothing good in life to talk about, but

talks about privacy invasion of saying about

people's freedom of religious beliefs, including

Mormons, to life style of many, to

stay-at-home-wives' privacy, to privacy if

single ladies having unmarried way of homelife and

activities, to people of vegetarians, to people

having pets to give dogs some rides in open roof

cars --- unlike many parents do to give young ones

rides in open roof vans-- since dogs can endure

and enjoy more open good weather windy space,

while never talks about the terror violence of

Black Panthers and Muslims and associates to

encourage their violence and multiple-partnership

(and such many things like those), which shows

emptiness and sadness of having no purpose in

life.

As Obama has nothing of any production being

productive, Obama is viewed as a contradictory and

absurd radical of all time, facing

self-destruction as the the dumbest clumsy fool,

by always demonstating his terrible and sluggish

dumb speeches all the time.

OBAMA IS THE DUMBEST , AS HE ALWAYS SPEAKS WITH A FOOT IN HIS MOUTH ALL OF MANY TIMES.

Level 2

Reality

#23501 Apr 30, 2012
JBH wrote:
Obama
Ah, the call of the empty brained warbler.

Note the way that they cannot separate their religion from their politics, and that both are based entirely on emotional rather than factual reasoning.

Sadly, it appears this one is a terminal case.
FREE SERVANT
#23502 Apr 30, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jesus had said the Earth was flat, would that be good enough for you? Remind us...did Jesus condemn slavery? If the answer is "no," is that good enough for you, too?
Whom the Son sets free is free indeed. Jesus told of how the devil puts people in bondage. Seek ye the truth.

Level 2

Reality

#23503 Apr 30, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Whom the Son sets free is free indeed. Jesus told of how the devil puts people in bondage. Seek ye the truth.
I didn't know the devil was into bondage. Damn shame the guy doesn't exist or I'd invite him to my next party.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#23504 Apr 30, 2012
JBH wrote:
Obama ALWAYS SPEAKS WITH A FOOT IN HIS MOUTH ALL OF MANY TIMES. <<content snipped due to insane, illogical, incomprehensible ranting>>
Kids, this (above) is what happens when you do mushrooms and have access to a computer.
FREE SERVANT
#23506 Apr 30, 2012
<quoted text>
I didn't know the devil was into bondage. Damn shame the guy doesn't exist or I'd invite him to my next party.
Beware, he is out to steal kill and destroy your soul for all of eternity. Read the Bible.
FREE SERVANT
#23507 Apr 30, 2012
The devil is the spirit of sin and disobedience that has brought about the bad things (death included) on this earth, and Jesus tells us that he (Satan) was a liar from the beginning.
Sara

Jeffersonville, IN

#23508 Apr 30, 2012
It looks like some people here are in desperate need of an education. I found some new, hardcover copies of "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution" by Richard Dawkins on Ebay available for $4.39 shipped each. These are brand new and being sold by a Powerseller with 47,000+ feedback, so it looks legit.

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/2 80849208978?ssPageName=STRK:ME WNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497 .l2649#ht_500wt_1259]Link[/url ]

Creationists, please buy the book and learn the science. None of your money will go to Dawkins this way your conscience will be clear.

For everyone else, I hope you consider buying a few extra copies (It's hard to beat 5 new hardcovers for $20-ish) and donate them to your local libraries.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#23509 Apr 30, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Langolier is right, there is not a single scientific textbook in high school, college or graduate school that doesn't begin with an explosion from a point so small it's practically nothing , causing a lava encompassed earth to cool when somehow an atmosphere emerges causing rain to fall on the lava and cool it, resulting in puddles of primordal soup from which life sprang .This theory is the linchpin of evoultion.
The theory of evolution is biology.

The Big Bang theory is physics.

Neither the Big Bang nor abiogenesis for that matter are the 'lynchpin' of the theory of evolution. The theory of evolution specifically deals with explaining the diversification of life on Earth. That's it.

Even the theory of gravity doesn't have to explain the Big Bang, but at least they're both physics.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#23510 Apr 30, 2012
<quoted text>
No, it isn't. It's the linchpin of a lot of different theories. Evolution doesn't kick in until quite a bit after all that stuff is over with.
I still don't get why everyone argues with evolution when they're really upset about abiogenesis.
Oh, they're upset with everything. Biology, physics, chemistry... there isn't a single one they don't throw out in favour of their religious beliefs. It's just that science is hard, and it's far easier to just call everything they don't like (which is pretty much reality as a whole) and call it all "evolution". They're not interested in science so it doesn't matter if they get it all wrong anyway.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#23511 Apr 30, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
WHAT THE FREAK??? Are ya Chicks and Dudes STILL trying to determine this subject??? How about ya all pay attention to the new fangled space adventure..WHAT IS IT, ya ask..Meteorite mining..ya think this piece of rock evolved from a piece of a planet or was placed in space exactly at it's location for the select few Earthlings to mine and reap their rewards???
If you're not interested in the slightest, why post here?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#23512 Apr 30, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the spelling correction, primordial!I don't confuse cosmology, evolution and abiogenesis.It is not I that have linked them together, but the world of science that has chained them to one another.
It has no more chained them together than it has chained the origin of mass with the theory of gravity.
bohart wrote:
How many scientists have you seen that advocate a creator and the evolution of the created life? Few if any
Let's see, Ken Miller, Francis Collins, Lord Robert Winston, Allan Chapman, Wesley Ellsberry...
bohart wrote:
further the purpose of the theory of evolution is to explain life without a creator , to deny that is to debate in dishonesty.
No, the theory of evolution's purpose is to explain the diversity of life on Earth. That's it. Whether there is a "creator" or not. The reason why it doesn't mention it is because it doesn't EXPLAIN anything. Oh, and the fact there's zero evidence.

In fact NOTHING in science makes any theological claims. The theory of gravity also attempts to explain gravity WITHOUT a creator. The germ theory of disease attempts to explain germs and diseases WITHOUT a creator. The theory of plate tectonics explains geological shifting WITHOUT a creator. The weathermen on TV attempt to explain the weather WITHOUT a creator.

BLASTED ATHEIST SCIENTISTS! Just ONCE I wanna see them explain the weather on TV and tell us it's gonna thunder because all the infidels have pished Zeus off! Be open minded to the possibility for once!!! Sheesh...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#23513 Apr 30, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Beware, he is out to steal kill and destroy your soul for all of eternity.
You just contradicted yourself.

And we still don't care Mikey.

Level 2

Since: Jan 09

Ta netjer - D.L.

#23514 Apr 30, 2012
rpk58 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't seem to understand the concept that you don't need absolute knowledge to take a position. In fact, in many cases you need to take a position, even if you dont have absolute knowledge.
How do you behave in real life? Do you pray to God? As per your opinion, since you cannot confirm that God exists, you cannot pray to God, can you? So functionally, you are an atheist.
Yes, I don't pray to any god, nor I bow down to statues or kiss pictures of supposed saint people.

But an atheist denies the existence of any god, while I don't deny nor affirm its existence.

A person does not need to have absolute knowledge on a specific subject if it has good evidences that give to them good reasons to take a position. This is why I gave you the example of evolution theory. We don't have absolute knowledge of it, in fact it still misses some points, but yet with all the amounts of evidences we can safely say it's right.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 2 min Fish_sticks 27,440
Woman appreciate a man that.........? (Mar '15) 5 min Emerald 211
News President Trump visits Huntsville in support of... 17 min Lawrence Wolf 8
I Believe __________________ ....... (Feb '11) 22 min September Daze 753
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 48 min Love Worn 24,568
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 11,151
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 33,617
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Dear Missus 223,413
Things that make life eaiser... (Apr '15) 3 hr Gunslinger45 971
Phrases that you don't hear very often (Nov '11) 3 hr Gunslinger45 783