Reality show snake-handling preacher ...

Reality show snake-handling preacher dies -- of snake bite

There are 64 comments on the WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg story from Feb 16, 2014, titled Reality show snake-handling preacher dies -- of snake bite. In it, WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg reports that:

A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snake bite.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Chicago, IL

#21 Feb 17, 2014
It was a 'poison us' snake.

“It's a secret”

Level 8

Since: Sep 12

Or maybe I just forgot!!

#22 Feb 17, 2014
That's the funniest thing..I think I've seen in awhile...a preacher..that tells everyone...you just have to have faith...died from a lack of faith...

don't test God....:or at least that's what Christ said....who do you believe????

M.E.
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#23 Feb 17, 2014
Having been chased out of the swampy area by a cottenmouth, I discovered A they have a non sunny disposition, B they move faster then me. I leave them alone.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#24 Feb 17, 2014
Mister_ E wrote:
That's the funniest thing..I think I've seen in awhile...a preacher..that tells everyone...you just have to have faith...died from a lack of faith...
don't test God....:or at least that's what Christ said....who do you believe????
M.E.
That preacher did not die from a lack of faith. He died from a lack of sanity.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#25 Feb 17, 2014
http://youtu.be/T_ZBqpEUbik

Sighed the Snake...Al Wilson

“It's a secret”

Level 8

Since: Sep 12

Or maybe I just forgot!!

#26 Feb 17, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>That preacher did not die from a lack of faith. He died from a lack of sanity.
True...but that IS what they preach...and I was being facetious in that sense...but the part about Christ was true..believe it or not?!?
What

Jackson, MO

#27 Feb 18, 2014
Looks to me that some are 'insane', trying to be like minded with Paul.
Faith? Hell, many with faith have suffered and it isn't due to lack of .. though with the teachings they receive these days, it's a no wonder.
The Spankish Inquisition

Huntington, NY

#28 Feb 18, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
only on Sunday for high mass .....are you a sinner
Yes, I am.

How about you? Are you a sinner?

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#29 Feb 18, 2014
The Spankish Inquisition wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am.
How about you? Are you a sinner?
everyone and
truth

Salem, WV

#30 Feb 18, 2014
Snake handling has nothing to do with God. That is man made junk. Don't get these crazy acts in the name of Christ confused with true Bible believing Christians. People need to open the book and get back to the Word.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#31 Feb 18, 2014
DEPENDS ON WHO'S BOOK YOU READ.........

Gospel of Mark and the Gospel of Luke to support the practice:

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.(Mark 16:17-18)

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.(Luke 10:19)
truth

Salem, WV

#32 Feb 18, 2014
tallyho wrote:
DEPENDS ON WHO'S BOOK YOU READ.........

Gospel of Mark and the Gospel of Luke to support the practice:

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.(Mark 16:17-18)

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.(Luke 10:19)
More like how you interpret it. Mark 16:17-18 "These signs were promised to the apostolic community (Mt 10:1;2Co 12:12), not all believers in all ages.

As for Luke 10:19 He was speaking to the Seventy.(Lk 10:1)

I am in no way a Bible scholar. Just an average person who is studying the Bible. But what I do know for sure is when you interpret a line in a book you must consider the context of which it came. You can't just pluck out one line and not consider who or what that line is talking about. It takes from the value of what is being said. You wouldn't do it to any other book so why would you do it to the Bible?

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33 Feb 18, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
More like how you interpret it. Mark 16:17-18 "These signs were promised to the apostolic community (Mt 10:1;2Co 12:12), not all believers in all ages.
As for Luke 10:19 He was speaking to the Seventy.(Lk 10:1)
I am in no way a Bible scholar. Just an average person who is studying the Bible. But what I do know for sure is when you interpret a line in a book you must consider the context of which it came. You can't just pluck out one line and not consider who or what that line is talking about. It takes from the value of what is being said. You wouldn't do it to any other book so why would you do it to the Bible?
that isn't the point , it is the creed ..the heart of the book they believe
truth

Salem, WV

#34 Feb 18, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>that isn't the point , it is the creed ..the heart of the book they believe
What they believe is clearly wrong. Which is why that guy got killed by handling a POISONOUS snake.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#35 Feb 18, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
What they believe is clearly wrong. Which is why that guy got killed by handling a POISONOUS snake.
What I wonder is why it has to be poison, which may or may not kill you, even without some supernatural intervention. Why not just go stand in front of a train and see if your god saves you? If you stand in front of a train and don't die then you know it was your god that saved you and not the fact that the poison wasn't strong enough to kill you.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#36 Feb 18, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll never tell anyone what god they sure believe in .

FACT snakes bite as a defense or food ... so one of the rattler perceived danger and bit , imagine a relatively new one

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#37 Feb 18, 2014
Mister_ E wrote:
<quoted text>
True...but that IS what they preach...and I was being facetious in that sense...but the part about Christ was true..believe it or not?!?
What they preach may be totally unrelated to higher brain function. Like many people who think they hear the word of God, they may be hearing voices alright, but I don't think they come from heaven.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#38 Feb 18, 2014
heavens forbid
Level 6

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#39 Feb 18, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What I wonder is why it has to be poison, which may or may not kill you, even without some supernatural intervention. Why not just go stand in front of a train and see if your god saves you? If you stand in front of a train and don't die then you know it was your god that saved you and not the fact that the poison wasn't strong enough to kill you.
Good point.
The Word says to not put the Lord to a foolish test..
In other words don't tempt God to slap you up side the head for acting an idiot in His name.

On another note, I wonder how much strychnine the guy drank before he annoyed the snake enough to bite his hand?
I think, that too may have contributed to his quick demise.

Aside note: Been familiar with the COGAOF from younger years.
(My best friend in HS.) Her dad was a leader in their congregation.
The snakes were usually fed live mice or rats on Sunday or Wednesday afternoons before a big meeting.
This helped to assure the snakes were 1- somewhat de-venomed, and 2- not hungry.
Making them complacent and sluggish as they digested the meal.
Not to mention, handling a big fat snake is more impressive fright wise, than a skinny small snake.
:-)

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#40 Feb 18, 2014
TenderTink wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
The Word says to not put the Lord to a foolish test..
In other words don't tempt God to slap you up side the head for acting an idiot in His name.
On another note, I wonder how much strychnine the guy drank before he annoyed the snake enough to bite his hand?
I think, that too may have contributed to his quick demise.
Aside note: Been familiar with the COGAOF from younger years.
(My best friend in HS.) Her dad was a leader in their congregation.
The snakes were usually fed live mice or rats on Sunday or Wednesday afternoons before a big meeting.
This helped to assure the snakes were 1- somewhat de-venomed, and 2- not hungry.
Making them complacent and sluggish as they digested the meal.
Not to mention, handling a big fat snake is more impressive fright wise, than a skinny small snake.
:-)
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't know they drank strychnine too. Crazy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 5 min wichita-rick 22,802
News 'It's pretty weird': Angus MacInnes on coming b... 19 min wichita-rick 3
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 23 min wichita-rick 209,997
Let's play "follow the word" (Jun '08) 25 min beatlesinafog 48,715
News Woman reveals what it's like to make love to a ... 27 min beatlesinafog 62
Words "with more than one meaning" (Sep '12) 28 min andet1987 802
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 35 min beatlesinafog 5,508
A to Z songs by title or group! 1 hr wichita-rick 644
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr streetglidehoney 68,405
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 2 hr davy 42