Relatives steal woman's body from hearse

Mar 6, 2008 | Posted by: HOGstr | Full story: www.app.com

Family members of a deceased New Zealand woman snatched her body after a dispute erupted over how her remains should be buried.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Church Slave

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

I think the woman's wishes should be honored. Not some ding dong maori service.
Give her what she wanted. Good grief.

“They killed kenny”

Level 2

Since: Dec 07

Where?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

Is that what they call a hearse down under under? A fender bender could be a nasty sight.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Level 6

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

I believe the poor woman, God rest her, should be buried in the manner she wished. of course, I know relatives can come in and try to change things, but if she was specific in her will, that should definitely be upheld.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

Church Slave wrote:
I think the woman's wishes should be honored. Not some ding dong maori service.
Give her what she wanted. Good grief.
Instead of a ding dong maori service, let her have a good old traditional one where someone describes what a perfect being she was, tears are shed, and everyone runs to the buffet table to stuff their faces with bologna and potato salad.
As if one religious service were more rational than another.
Church Slave

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of a ding dong maori service, let her have a good old traditional one where someone describes what a perfect being she was, tears are shed, and everyone runs to the buffet table to stuff their faces with bologna and potato salad.
If the woman wanted tears, a buffet and religious service. By all means they should do it.

These particular Maori care more about themselves than her. God rest her soul.

“Look Up!”

Since: Jan 08

Woodstock, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

Stealing her body will settle everything.
beatlesinthebog

Christchurch, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

Church Slave wrote:
<quoted text>
If the woman wanted tears, a buffet and religious service. By all means they should do it.
You're right, they do. This is not the first time body thieving has happened. Customary rights!! Hah!!

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

Church Slave wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree completely that the woman's wishes should have been respected. I was trying to make the more general point that religious rituals in general are, by definition, based on superstition.
Anyone who thinks God gave instructions along these lines is a little light in the noodle.
Angry Gurl

Asheboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree completely that the woman's wishes should have been respected. I was trying to make the more general point that religious rituals in general are, by definition, based on superstition.
Anyone who thinks God gave instructions along these lines is a little light in the noodle.
Well, at least my faith doesn't believe that way. It isn't superstition but the tradition, the sense of, "Well, that is how we've always done it." Most of the time, such things are not in the faith or religious writings at all. It is just that people of whatever faith have chosen to do x for so long. So we are talking about extra-scriptural folkways and mores rather than commandments. Nearly every faith has those.

This is like with Islam, except that they've put so many words in the prophet's mouth over the years that it isn't funny. In fact, their traditions state that if there is a controversy, go with the more conservative ruling or tradition, even if the more conservative one is newer. But yet, when they choose something more strict than in the original writings, they still say that Mohammad said it.
Church Slave

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. Hey, I'm not used to agreeing with you, have I gone madd?
DaDA

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Bologna buffet ?
gerri-berri

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

Let's not get into a discussion on different faith......the fact remains that the woman's own instructions about her own body were not granted by her selfish family.

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Level 1

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

I'd offer you a cold stiff one but my bar doesn't serve Necros.

“Try it, you'll like it”

Since: Dec 07

NoVa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

Funerals, wakes, whatever are for the survivors. They help with the grieving process, the deceased is beyond caring at this point. While it would have been nice if there was some sort of compromise, like having 2 services in the different styles, ultimately, whatever helps the family deal with their loss is what's important.

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

Church Slave wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. Hey, I'm not used to agreeing with you, have I gone madd?
It's a fine madness, have no fear.

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

Angry Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at least my faith doesn't believe that way. It isn't superstition but the tradition, the sense of, "Well, that is how we've always done it." Most of the time, such things are not in the faith or religious writings at all. It is just that people of whatever faith have chosen to do x for so long. So we are talking about extra-scriptural folkways and mores rather than commandments. Nearly every faith has those.
This is like with Islam, except that they've put so many words in the prophet's mouth over the years that it isn't funny. In fact, their traditions state that if there is a controversy, go with the more conservative ruling or tradition, even if the more conservative one is newer. But yet, when they choose something more strict than in the original writings, they still say that Mohammad said it.
I respect your comments. I do believe there are loonies all across the religious spectrum, as well as among non-believers. Screwballs can distort any set of beliefs. Respecting the wishes of the dying is certainly important, and I was never trying to suggest otherwise. My point simply is that whatever ritualistic behavior is involved, none are more rationally-based than others. You and I may prefer more "traditional" practices, but I don't think we have a right to impose them on others.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••