Manatee-Riding Woman Charged In Florida

Manatee-Riding Woman Charged In Florida

There are 35 comments on the Sky News story from Nov 25, 2012, titled Manatee-Riding Woman Charged In Florida. In it, Sky News reports that:

Sheriff Bob Gualtieri held a press conference a few days later asking for the public's help in identifying the woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sky News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“He better get thicker-skinned”

Since: Jun 08

or it'll be a LONG 4 years....

#1 Nov 25, 2012
....which one is the manatee.....?

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Salmon Arm, Canada

#2 Nov 25, 2012
Need to find a "Manatee interpreter" to see if the creature wants to press charges.
keep Dreaming

East Quogue, NY

#3 Nov 26, 2012
looks like she was trying to mate with the poor thing
Donkey Estonkey

Hampton, VA

#4 Nov 26, 2012
The manatee was obviously asking for it...

“Cat's rule”

Level 7

Since: Feb 11

and dog's drool :-)

#5 Nov 26, 2012
*whew*
I sure am glad they caught the Manatee rider.
I'll sleep so much better tonight.
Hetero Sensual

Huntington, NY

#6 Nov 26, 2012
At least she wasn't trying to ride a Womanatee....that would be sick.

“I call it as I see it.”

Level 8

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#7 Nov 26, 2012
Hetero Sensual wrote:
At least she wasn't trying to ride a Womanatee....that would be sick.
All kidding aside, I don't believe she meant any harm and I believe the authorities did go a bit far with setting such a high bail. They should have given her a fine of perhaps one hundred dollars that she could have paid right there and a stiff lecture.
Kidding Not Aside

Huntington, NY

#8 Nov 26, 2012
I sure hope that in nine moths from now we don't see her giving birth to little manatees......

Level 6

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#9 Nov 26, 2012
It was the Major TJ Kong impression that really hacked them off.
crazy idea

Memphis, TN

#10 Nov 26, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>All kidding aside, I don't believe she meant any harm and I believe the authorities did go a bit far with setting such a high bail. They should have given her a fine of perhaps one hundred dollars that she could have paid right there and a stiff lecture.
she might have already got something stiff frojm the manatee

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#11 Nov 26, 2012
Drugs...they'll get ya every time.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#12 Nov 26, 2012
Donkey Estonkey wrote:
The manatee was obviously asking for it...
It was looking rather secksy in that hat and those shorts.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Right here under my thumb

#13 Nov 26, 2012
I hear in Canada, riding a Manatee is very similar to riding a Harley - the bike that is - I hope.

Level 1

Since: Nov 12

No. Ca.

#14 Nov 26, 2012
other species r not toys and should be left alone. This woman was stupid and she should get a big fine. Manatees are endangered.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#15 Nov 26, 2012
Teena2 wrote:
other species r not toys and should be left alone. This woman was stupid and she should get a big fine. Manatees are endangered.
It is illegal to hunt, injure or harm a Manatee, not ride one.
Marlon Perkins

Huntington, NY

#16 Nov 26, 2012
Are they sure it was a manatee she was on? At certain angles I'd swear she was on Oprah.

Level 8

Location hidden

#17 Nov 26, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is illegal to hunt, injure or harm a Manatee, not ride one.
The Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act makes it "unlawful for any person at any time, by any means, or in any manner intentionally or negligently to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb or attempt to molest, harass, or disturb any manatee".

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#18 Nov 26, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act makes it "unlawful for any person at any time, by any means, or in any manner intentionally or negligently to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb or attempt to molest, harass, or disturb any manatee".
I understand that Subby - but it's also unlawful to convict someone of harming an animal if they're not sure if "riding" is harming.

We fed Manatees in Treasure Island last year - they ate right from our hands. I swear you could swim with those animals - they're not fast and gentle as h*ll. It would be difficult to prove that riding one was indeed harming one - unless you could get the Manatee's angle on the story.

:o)

Level 8

Location hidden

#19 Nov 26, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that Subby - but it's also unlawful to convict someone of harming an animal if they're not sure if "riding" is harming.
Ah, good old mens rea. There are many different standards for intent. Many statutes use an objective reasonable person standard as opposed to a subjective standard. Some use strict liability, where intent is irrelevant.

This statute says to intentionally (which is a subjective standard) or “negligently”(which is an objective standard) annoy molest or harass.

A negligence standard uses an objective reasonable person standard. Pretty sure an objective reasonable person would know that hopping on a manatee for a ride while it’s doing its thing is interfering with it or disturbing it.
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
We fed Manatees in Treasure Island last year - they ate right from our hands. I swear you could swim with those animals - they're not fast and gentle as h*ll. It would be difficult to prove that riding one was indeed harming one - unless you could get the Manatee's angle on the story.
Oh, I’ve heard they are nice and I was ignorant of the law too, before reading that article. The thing is, you don’t need to harm one. Just disturb one, which means to interfere with it.
Parden pard

Nazareth, PA

#20 Nov 26, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, good old mens rea. There are many different standards for intent. Many statutes use an objective reasonable person standard as opposed to a subjective standard. Some use strict liability, where intent is irrelevant.
This statute says to intentionally (which is a subjective standard) or “negligently”(which is an objective standard) annoy molest or harass.
A negligence standard uses an objective reasonable person standard. Pretty sure an objective reasonable person would know that hopping on a manatee for a ride while it’s doing its thing is interfering with it or disturbing it.
<quoted text>
Oh, I’ve heard they are nice and I was ignorant of the law too, before reading that article. The thing is, you don’t need to harm one. Just disturb one, which means to interfere with it.
Yeah,yeah,,sure,sure,,,,but would it be illegal to cope a feel,,say

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) (Jul '15) 8 min Princess Hey 1,956
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 8 min 75 Scorpio 11,536
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 9 min This is HERSTORY 2,748
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 25 min This is HERSTORY 22,806
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 26 min SweLL GirL 15,998
True False Game (Jun '11) 29 min SweLL GirL 13,584
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 34 min SweLL GirL 6,158
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 hr wichita-rick 210,003
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 hr Grace Nerissa 68,407
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 5 hr Susanm 44
News Trump's Dark, Weird, Inaugural Campaign Speech 5 hr 16 TEEN SHOTS 76
More from around the web