Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches... RACIST!

Posted in the Weird Forum

“I won't be your hero.”

Level 3

Since: Jul 12

Vacaville, CA

#1 Sep 11, 2012
Yep. You read that right, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are considered racist to a Principle in Portland.

In an effort to combat perceived discrimination, one Portland school seems to have gone off the deep end by suggesting peanut butter and jelly sandwiches carry racist connotations, Twitchy reported Monday.

According to the Portland Tribune, Verenice Gutierrez, principal of Harvey Scott K-8 School, "picks up on the subtle language of racism" on a daily basis.

"Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year," the Tribune said.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked.“Another way would be to say:‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

"Insert flabbergasted face," the Twitchy staff wrote.

One person asked on Twitter: "[W]hat's the verdict on grilled cheese? Racist? Sexist?"

"The food at my kids' schools hates everyone," tweeted Melissa Clouthier.

With the suggestion that a sandwich is racist, Twitchy said the discussion on race "has moved beyond slack-jawed incredulity into total self-parody territory."

"What is racist about a child’s lunch, one might ask? Peanut butter and jelly, of course! You racists probably even use black currant jelly sometimes. On white bread," Twitchy added.

The Tribune noted that the school started the new year with "intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives," to help educators understand their own “white privilege,” in order to "change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance."

"Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation — to examine a news article and discuss the 'white privilege' it conveys," the Tribune added.

Gutierrez completed a week-long seminar called “Coaching for Educational Equity,” a program the Tribune says focuses "on race and how it affects life." She also serves on an administrative committee that focuses on systematic racism.

“Our focus school and our Superintendent’s mandate that we improve education for students of color, particularly Black and Brown boys, will provide us with many opportunities to use the protocols of Courageous Conversations in data teams, team meetings, staff meetings, and conversations amongst one another,” she said in a letter to staff.

One commenter at the Tribune observed that the phrase "as American as apple pie" could also be seen as racist if "people of color don't eat it."

"Guess what? When everything is racist, then nothing actually is," Twitchy said.

http://www.examiner.com/article/portland-scho...
Level 6

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2 Sep 11, 2012
LOL I give them pnj!! what about nutella??

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#3 Sep 11, 2012
well if u want to talk about racist foods, then u can include bananas and choc. syrup.

heee
Rosa

Opelousas, LA

#4 Sep 11, 2012
PFfff wrote:
well if u want to talk about racist foods, then u can include bananas and choc. syrup.
heee
...now PFfff...a banana and choc syrup...that is about as homophobic as they come...LOL..

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#5 Sep 11, 2012
QuiteCrazy wrote:
what about nutella??
RACIST!!!

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#6 Sep 11, 2012
The ultimate inter-racial marriage food - the Oreo
Ginas Taco

Medford, NY

#7 Sep 11, 2012
"Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year," the Tribune said.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked.“Another way would be to say:‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

That's right.....let the kids tell you "torta" or "pita", and then send them to detention for being RACIST!!!!! lol....

The trivial stupidity of people amaze me sometimes.....
Rosa

Opelousas, LA

#8 Sep 11, 2012
...personally I will never serve PB&J sandwiches...ever...but I do not think people of different races and nationality should mix...also...men should stay with men and women should stay with women...what is this world coming to...did you ever see how a dog goes after a cat...that dog learned that mixing from watching his owners...plain sick if you ask me...

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#9 Sep 11, 2012

“Are We Having Fun Yet???”

Level 8

If Not, Why Not!!!

#10 Sep 11, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
The ultimate inter-racial marriage food - the Oreo
How about the black and white cookie!!!

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#11 Sep 11, 2012
Tiger Lilly wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the black and white cookie!!!
Racist!!!

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#12 Sep 11, 2012
How about a Black and Tan?

Level 8

If Not, Why Not!!!

#13 Sep 11, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Racist!!!
Guess the black and white icing should be mixed together.....
DILF

Medford, NY

#14 Sep 11, 2012
Tiger Lilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess the black and white icing should be mixed together.....
Mmmmm....I dunno, that's a grey area.

Level 8

If Not, Why Not!!!

#15 Sep 11, 2012
DILF wrote:
<quoted text>
Mmmmm....I dunno, that's a grey area.
LOL.
50 Shades???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 3 min Doug77 27,145
Lets Discuss Men (Dec '13) 5 min -Lea- 760
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 5 min Radical Miracle 28,791
Why do YOU get on Topix? 6 min 40ish 43
10,000th Post WINS 4.0 (Apr '12) 9 min NotaGoth 5,605
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 9 min Wyle E Coyote 155,450
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 10 min Doug77 30,487
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 16 min TALLYHO 8541 38,544
More from around the web