“Geaux Tigers!”

Level 9

Since: Jun 12

Down on the bayou

#76 May 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>

An average black person is about 5 times more likely than your average white person to be on welfare. That's a fact.
Except for average white people with the last name of Ferrerman.

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#77 May 5, 2013
Every time I see this thread I think of something my dad gave to my husband..lol

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

New York, NY

#78 May 5, 2013
65007noogard wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for average white people with the last name of Ferrerman.
The beach association here doesn't allow average white people on welfare with the last name of Ferrerman...

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#80 May 5, 2013
honeymylove wrote:
Every time I see this thread I think of something my dad gave to my husband..lol
A box with the rebel flag along with the words..The South Shall Rise Again...take the lid off and see the man in side..I'm not saying what I seen..(O:

“Have mercy”

Level 3

Since: May 13

On a liar's soul

#82 May 5, 2013
Oops!
Did someone stumble?

“Geaux Tigers!”

Level 9

Down on the bayou

#84 May 5, 2013
Bad Bex wrote:
Oops!
Did someone stumble?
Looks like African Shadows is posting from the Ferret's basement. Better not let Geno catch him there.

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

New York, NY

#85 May 5, 2013
Carla Burgess wrote:
<quoted text>Dumb.
sup ferretface?

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#86 May 5, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Before LBJ's Great Welfare Society Blacks voted Republican. Now they are back on the Democrat Plantation :(
The saddest thing is that I see no hope for change. So many children born without even a chance...

Level 8

Location hidden

#87 May 5, 2013
65007noogard wrote:
<quoted text>Except for average white people with the last name of Ferrerman.
He might not be white. It's possible he just stole some picture of some white kid who looks like he talks with a lisp and used it for his avatar.

“Easy does it... ”

Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#90 May 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The saddest thing is that I see no hope for change. So many children born without even a chance...
I agree. But many of their chances went overseas with many of our nation's manufacturing jobs. I suppose it's my stubborn faith in human nature (all colors included) in general ... but I think a large percentage on government assistance would work, if the circumstances were only different.

Unfortunately the days of people with even just a High School diploma, getting decent paying jobs are pretty much gone. That doesn't leave much for any High School drop outs. It used to be, some of these folks could walk into industrial settings and if they were willing work, could make a decent living. Now, it's either work two minimum wage jobs for most of these folks, or receive some sort of government assistance. Probably both comparatively equal in the amount brought in. Doesn't exactly seem fair to me, that the intake is comparable.

If they quit rewarding companies that ship the industry jobs overseas, we would see a turn around in that regard. Even the company that I work for, has either closed plants or downsized in North America and has never fully recovered from the recession. So even I'm sweating. They also closed two plants overseas in the last couple of years.

But when 5.6 million manufacturing jobs are lost,just in the past decade? It just seems to me that it would be a great starting point for getting some people back to work. Some progress has been made, but not to the severity that needs to be taken.

I suppose my post maybe a little out of place in this thread. Maybe I was just hoping if the South does rise again, they'll take the rest of the country with it.

“*Merry Christmas*”

Level 8

Greensburg, IN

#91 May 6, 2013
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>
getting decent paying jobs are pretty much gone.
IT's not so much that as it is the 'devaluation of the dollar'.
It's not been that long ago -10 cents- would buy what it takes a dollar to get now!
Part of "OUR" country has run-off and left the rest!

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#92 May 7, 2013
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>But when 5.6 million manufacturing jobs are lost,just in the past decade? It just seems to me that it would be a great starting point for getting some people back to work. Some progress has been made, but not to the severity that needs to be taken.
I suppose my post maybe a little out of place in this thread. Maybe I was just hoping if the South does rise again, they'll take the rest of the country with it.
First of all - you're post is very misleading and one sided. We may have lost 5.6 million manufacturing jobs over the last decade, but the vast majority of those jobs were a direct result of unions not willing to negotiate with big business. And I'm just not talking about the "Big 3" either. In addition to companies going "global," you also have the reduction in military contracts which have hit states like Colorado extremely hard. This nation currently has a job surplu of well over 4 million jobs - jobs that pay more than the national average. The recession has created a dependency on government aid. To compound the problem, the nation wants to reduce its migrant farmworker workforce - exclusively used in the agricultural industry. If Americans don't want better than average jobs, how do we expect to replace those migrant farmworkers who work in 100+ temperatures, 14 hours a day, 6 days a week for minimum wage?

Lastly, to actually prove my statements aren't opinion only, here is only one website out of millions that currently bolster over 2 million job openings nationwide.

http://www.topusajobs.com/

There is not a job out there right now that can't be had on just a high school education. America was built by the hands of craftsmen, not by the brains of scholars.

Level 8

Location hidden

#93 May 7, 2013
I'll chime in a little bit later.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#94 May 7, 2013
WHERE would ya rather live??..RUSH RUSH RUSH up North, OR.with the good ole'boys...WHO are taught manners??
Amelia Sugar COCAINE

Castle Rock, CO

#95 May 7, 2013
You're freakin nuts man haha smh. The south will always remain the poorest region in the U.S. and not to mention the education system will remain a blur. It's sad for the children sake how the adults are still 'til this day ruining things for our kids future down there.

“Geaux Tigers!”

Level 9

Down on the bayou

#96 May 7, 2013
I suppose the South will some day turn things around and be a shining example like Mexifornia or Zoo York.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#97 May 7, 2013
65007noogard wrote:
I suppose the South will some day turn things around and be a shining example like Mexifornia or Zoo York.
Nooo Wayyyy....The SOUTH IS TOO PROUD!!

Level 8

Location hidden

#98 May 8, 2013
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But many of their chances went overseas with many of our nation's manufacturing jobs. I suppose it's my stubborn faith in human nature (all colors included) in general ... but I think a large percentage on government assistance would work, if the circumstances were only different.
Why are their chances any different than yours or mine? I donít believe they are some sub-group of people who are limited to doing unskilled labor. Much of the problem is cultural Ö not ability. Blacks from Africa who come here in search of a better life donít seem to limit themselves to aspiring to being unskilled labor.
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately the days of people with even just a High School diploma, getting decent paying jobs are pretty much gone. That doesn't leave much for any High School drop outs. It used to be, some of these folks could walk into industrial settings and if they were willing work, could make a decent living. Now, it's either work two minimum wage jobs for most of these folks, or receive some sort of government assistance. Probably both comparatively equal in the amount brought in. Doesn't exactly seem fair to me, that the intake is comparable.
Yes, but itís been that way for a long time. Things change. You have to adapt. Used to be you could just come here with no education, buy 100 acres of land for a few pennies per acre and become a farmer.

Also, folks of other races are subject to the same changes that have happened, but they seem to have adapted better than they have. Why is that? At a certain point, don't you have to point the finger at the individuals themselves?
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>If they quit rewarding companies that ship the industry jobs overseas, we would see a turn around in that regard. Even the company that I work for, has either closed plants or downsized in North America and has never fully recovered from the recession. So even I'm sweating. They also closed two plants overseas in the last couple of years.
Who is rewarding them? A lot of times the market dictates these things. If something is cheaper to do overseas, there is a built in incentive to do so. Should the government stop them from doing this? What if their overseas competitors arenít so constrained? How will U.S. companies compete? Arenít some jobs better than none? Itís a global economy.

Seems to me instead of complaining about the situation, the best thing to do is recognize it for what it is and adapt. The days of dropping out of high school and being able to live a middle class lifestyle have passed. Best to teach our children this basic fact, rather than teach them that it is someone elseís fault that they arenít doing well in life and have a hard time making a decent wage without a high school diploma. Best to teach our children this basic fact, rather than teach them that the problem is that the government needs to do more for them.

“Easy does it... ”

Level 5

Location hidden

#99 May 10, 2013
Hoosier Hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>
IT's not so much that as it is the 'devaluation of the dollar'.
It's not been that long ago -10 cents- would buy what it takes a dollar to get now!
Part of "OUR" country has run-off and left the rest!
I agree that part of the problem is the devaluation of the dollar. Surely nearly everyone has to have seen, on how the prices have gone up noticeably on nearly everything? And it looks like a long road ahead for us all. A interesting read I've found, as to why it probably won't ever improve in that department ....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/201...

“Easy does it... ”

Level 5

Location hidden

#100 May 10, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
First of all - you're post is very misleading and one sided. We may have lost 5.6 million manufacturing jobs over the last decade, but the vast majority of those jobs were a direct result of unions not willing to negotiate with big business.
I didn't intend to sound misleading or one sided, was just offering my view. But the vast majority of jobs to lost to union mismanagement? I agree some have been lost for that reason, but when companies know they can get cheaper labor overseas, with tax breaks included..some are not really interested in resolving some of those said negotiations. That's why many unions have folded and or lost, in those negotiations. JMO.
milwaukee69 wrote:
The recession has created a dependency on government aid.

Absolutely.
milwaukee69 wrote:
Lastly, to actually prove my statements aren't opinion only, here is only one website out of millions that currently bolster over 2 million job openings nationwide.
http://www.topusajobs.com/

I checked your site reference out. In my local area within a 50 mile radius, including two criteria searches... half of the jobs posted were advertisements for other job search engines. Looks like a possible runaround to me, on many of those jobs.
milwaukee69 wrote:
There is not a job out there right now that can't be had on just a high school education.
In my short search with your site reference, some were positions that required experience in the said fields (besides all the advertisements). And if no experience, then you're S.O.L. And respectfully... you know that of the positions that are being asked to be filled right now, a good portion requires either experience in a certain field, or advanced learning of a field (college degree or at least trade school certificates)... to even have a reasonable shot while applying.

I wish it was you said, that there is not a job out there right now that can't be had on just a high school education. I just feel as though that's not quite true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 4 min _hellbilly_ 245
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min SobieskiSavedEurope 132,535
Word association (Jun '07) 13 min beatlesinafog 2,611
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 15 min beatlesinafog 24,779
New "Drop one Word" With Famous People's Names (Oct '12) 18 min beatlesinafog 433
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 23 min beatlesinafog 3,980
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 25 min beatlesinafog 2,946
HOW LONG can you hold YOUR SEMEN ? For men only. (Mar '12) 1 hr Sublime1 51
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr Sublime1 25,664
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 2 hr Roxie Darling 129
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Roxie Darling 152,461
More from around the web