of 11
Next Last
Oh those Os

Portland, OR

#212 Oct 25, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
You betcha!
xx-http://www.foxnews.com/poli tics/2012/06/28/individual-hea lth-care-insurance-mandate-has -long-checkered-past/
The mandate, requiring every American to purchase health insurance, appeared in a 1989 published proposal by Stuart M. Butler of the conservative Heritage Foundation called "Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans," which included a provision to "mandate all households to obtain adequate insurance."
The Heritage Foundation "substantially revised" its proposal four years later, according to a 1994 analysis by the Congressional Budget Office. But the idea of an individual health insurance mandate later appeared in two bills introduced by Republican lawmakers in 1993, according to the non-partisan research group ProCon.org . Among the supporters of the bills were senators Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who today oppose the mandate under current law.
xx-http://www.forbes.com/sites /theapothecary/2011/10/20/how- a-conservative-think-tank-inve nted-the-individual-mandate/
James Taranto, who writes the Wall Street Journal’s excellent “Best of the Web” column, put forth a lengthy and informative discussion yesterday on the conservative origins of the individual mandate, whose inclusion in Obamacare is today its most controversial feature on the Right.
This came up at Tuesday’s Western Republican Leadership Conference Debate, where Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich tussled on the question:
ROMNEY: Actually, Newt, we got the idea of an individual mandate from you.
GINGRICH: That’s not true. You got it from the Heritage Foundation.
ROMNEY: Yes, we got it from you, and you got it from the Heritage Foundation and from you.
GINGRICH: Wait a second. What you just said is not true. You did not get that from me. You got it from the Heritage Foundation.
ROMNEY: And you never supported them?
GINGRICH: I agree with them, but I’m just saying, what you said to this audience just now plain wasn’t true.
(CROSSTALK)
ROMNEY: OK. Let me ask, have you supported in the past an individual mandate?
GINGRICH: I absolutely did with the Heritage Foundation against Hillarycare.
ROMNEY: You did support an individual mandate?
ROMNEY: Oh, OK. That’s what I’m saying. We got the idea from you and the Heritage Foundation.
GINGRICH: OK. A little broader.
ROMNEY: OK.
Wall Street Journal
xx-http://online.wsj.com/artic le/951E5B85-70F0-4A61-92C1-124 96C32253B.html
*** broken links because topix doesn't like them(?!)
Personally, I think all this uproar over getting healthcare come from these far right, backwoods living, grassroots conservative types that don't want to be told to do ANYTHING, let's call them "rebels", because they revolt over anything government except military spending, vaginamongering, gay hating and religion. THAT they get behind. If I recall, having insurance is a responsible mans thing to do, yet dragoon and Clem don't want to buy it rather let the tax payer handle their emergency room visits. This coming from the party that wants to raid the coffers of the SS Admins account and has told Americans the best form of medical and retirement is personal savings account responsibility.

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#213 Oct 25, 2013
Oh those Os wrote:
<quoted text>Personally, I think all this uproar over getting healthcare come from these far right, backwoods living, grassroots conservative types that don't want to be told to do ANYTHING, let's call them "rebels", because they revolt over anything government except military spending, vaginamongering, gay hating and religion. THAT they get behind. If I recall, having insurance is a responsible mans thing to do, yet dragoon and Clem don't want to buy it rather let the tax payer handle their emergency room visits. This coming from the party that wants to raid the coffers of the SS Admins account and has told Americans the best form of medical and retirement is personal savings account responsibility.
I hear ya ... those that are enthralled by pigs in lipstick.

“Will cause trouble when bored”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#214 Oct 25, 2013
Denny before you could get an accurate quote for heath insurance there are certain questions u are going to have to answer just like when u buy auto or homeowners.

This is not a legit btch. It's frivolous.
It's is stretching it and looking hard for a reason to complain.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Level 4

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#215 Oct 25, 2013
Oh those Os wrote:
<quoted text>Personally, I think all this uproar over getting healthcare come from these far right, backwoods living, grassroots conservative types that don't want to be told to do ANYTHING, let's call them "rebels", because they revolt over anything government except military spending, vaginamongering, gay hating and religion. THAT they get behind. If I recall, having insurance is a responsible mans thing to do, yet dragoon and Clem don't want to buy it rather let the tax payer handle their emergency room visits. This coming from the party that wants to raid the coffers of the SS Admins account and has told Americans the best form of medical and retirement is personal savings account responsibility.
I think what dragoon and Clem want is affordable healthcare. I doubt very much they want to file bankruptcy so the taxpayers can pay their bills.

All this law did was skyrocket the price of Ins.. It did some good things but at a high price to the struggling middle class.

Level 4

#216 Oct 25, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately that R&D stuff matters. I promise you that, if the ACA was put forth by Bush exactly as it is now, the republicans would loved, Loved, LOVED it! It's the singer, not the song...
"Obamacare" was based on "Romneycare" in Massachusetts when Mittens was governor there and that was based on a Heritage Foundation think tank effort from '89. It's a great beginning and a far better base to build from than the alternative of nothing offered in its place.
I agree, but you left out a few things. If it was put forward by Bush the dems AND you would be pushing for it to be repealed.....

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#217 Oct 25, 2013
Lylah wrote:
Denny before you could get an accurate quote for heath insurance there are certain questions u are going to have to answer just like when u buy auto or homeowners.
Bingo!

Level 4

#218 Oct 25, 2013
Lylah wrote:
Preexisting conditions are now included. It shouldn't matter what your medical history is. Hell it shouldnt matter now if your overweight or a smoker or both. They have to cover you and they cant charge you more for being ill.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Chicago, IL

#219 Oct 25, 2013
Oh those Os wrote:
Well, which is it? they are rebels? Or they are sheep? The ad hominem squad goes from one to the other with no apparent pattern.

And to correct your misinformed presumptions: I do not want the government to determine how much, which kind, what doctor or what plan I choose. I take care of myself, including my own insurance. I stopped needing Mommy to wipe my butt and kiss my ow-ies a LONNNNGGGG time ago.

The government is here to establish and maintain sovereignty of the country, not to be nanny and granter of everyone's every wish and whim.

The phrase is 'life, liberty and the *PURSUIT* of happiness'-- it is not and cannot be guarantor of idyllic utopia.

When people no longer have need to be motivated, self-sustaining or responsible for their own self-betterment then they become little more than potted plants in a window sill.

That is death for any country because they citizenry have no purpose other than to sit there and look happy.

When people get the same lifestyle whether they work hard and serve a purpose or just sit around and wait for the mailman to bring the monthly welfare check, they will gravitate towards the latter.

And all is lost.
In that case

Portland, OR

#220 Oct 25, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Preexisting conditions are now included. It shouldn't matter what your medical history is. Hell it shouldnt matter now if your overweight or a smoker or both. They have to cover you and they cant charge you more for being ill.
im going out for a Big Mac, quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a vanilla shake. I haven't had any of these in years though I yearn for them lol.
In that case

Portland, OR

#221 Oct 25, 2013
Uh Clem wrote:
<quoted text>
That is death for any country
When people get the same lifestyle whether they work hard and serve a purpose or just sit around and wait for the mailman to bring the monthly welfare check, they will gravitate towards the latter.
And all is lost.
Yeah, Germany, Sweden and the rest of Europe struggle so much they're ahead of us in nearly every social program, most concerning of which is education. God forbid!

Level 4

#222 Oct 25, 2013
In that case wrote:
<quoted text>im going out for a Big Mac, quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a vanilla shake. I haven't had any of these in years though I yearn for them lol.
Just dont do it in New York, they'll throw you in jail for it.....

Chicago, IL

#223 Oct 25, 2013
In that case wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, Germany, Sweden and the rest of Europe struggle so much they're ahead of us in nearly every social program, most concerning of which is education. God forbid!
Yep, our socialized efforts at running education have really worked well, haven't they? So the Left insists we repeat the same thing over again and expect a different outcome. Hey, that's called "insanity." I bet a Swedish psychology student could explain that to you.

The US is about 33 times the size of Sweden. Maybe the problem is it doesn't scale up very well?

"The Swedish constitution consists of four fundamental laws (Swedish: grundlagar):
The 1810 Act of Succession (Swedish: Successionsordningen)
The 1949 Freedom of the Press Act (Swedish: Tryckfrihetsförordningen)
The 1974 Instrument of Government (Swedish: Regeringsformen)
The 1991 Fundamental Law on Freedom of Expression (Swedish: Yttrandefrihetsgrundlagen) "

Notice how they don't have 30,000 PAGES of regulations over there? Keep it simple, stupid.

One final observation is that you chose a Monarchy for your comparator. Last I checked, we were a Constitutional Republic. Personal freedom and responsibility is paramount, not having a ruler for life running the show. But that DOES seem to be what the Left wants.
Javier Rivera

United States

#224 Oct 25, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama has gotten little disrespect compared to Bush.
LOL. I've heard it all now.

“To contract new debts...”

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

is not the way to pay old ones

#225 Oct 26, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
You betcha!
The idea of an individual mandate, as described by the Heritage Foundation was for catastrophic coverage, not comprehensive coverage as is called for in Obamacare. It was also to be financed by offering a healthcare tax credit instead of a penalty, meaning that if you signed up you received certain tax breaks as an incentive.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/201...

The idea actually originally came up in response to Reagans Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act which included the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/139...
The EMTALA states that if someone needs emergency medical treatment a hospital must provide treatment. The concern was that people would drop their health insurance because healthcare could be received for free at the local ER. This was known as the free rider problem and it does exist to some degree to this day.

Here is what Barry had to say about the Individual Mandate in 2008.

Here is what Barry said on the Ellen Degeneres show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“To contract new debts...”

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

is not the way to pay old ones

#226 Oct 26, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
The mandate, requiring every American to purchase health insurance, appeared in a 1989 published proposal by Stuart M. Butler of the conservative Heritage Foundation called "Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans," which included a provision to "mandate all households to obtain adequate insurance."
Try reading it

http://healthcarereform.procon.org/sourcefile...

Chicago, IL

#227 Oct 26, 2013
Hunglo wrote:
Bravo! Good read.

--------
There are three serious underlying problems with the current health care system.

First, it actually invites runaway costs.

The second problem is that the direct and indirect assistance provided by government does not channel the greatest help to those who need it most.

Third, we in the U.S. are very reluctant to require households to protect themselves against health care needs.
----------

And Obamacare solves none of those issues.

Making it free encourages abuse. When the consumer does not associate the cost with the service they demand, there is neither a concern for abusing the service nor for helping to keep the cost down.

That was the primary reason for establishing the 'co-pay' mechanism.
MARSHA MARSHA MARSHA

Palatine, IL

#228 Oct 26, 2013
They ask if you smoke but, watch Marsha Blackburn dance around that, much to the chagrin of the interviewer.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10/25/28...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 20 min Helpful Hint 10,171
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 28 min SashaStarr 7,408
human sexuality topic ? 29 min Tinka 10
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 34 min -Prince- 145,508
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 37 min _Susan_ 19,702
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr ChromiuMan 199,549
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 56,924
2words into 2new words (May '12) 1 hr Poppyann 2,354
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Sublime1 193,005
More from around the web