First Prev
of 11
Next Last

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Oct 21, 2013
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...

Last week Canada’s Supreme Court ruled that doctors could not unilaterally ignore a Toronto family’s decision to keep their near-dead husband and father on life support. In the same breath, however, the court also confirmed that, under the laws of Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, a group of government-appointed adjudicators could yet overrule the family’s choice. That tribunal, not the family or the doctors, has the ultimate power to pull the plug.

In other words: Canada has death panels.

I use that term advisedly. Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin made it famous in the summer of 2009, when Congress was fighting over whether to pass Obamacare. As Republicans and Democrats continue to spar over health care, we should pause to wonder why millions of Canadians have come to accept the functional equivalent of an idea that almost sank health care reform even though, in this country, it was imaginary.
-------
So, to those Obama supporters who like to say 'well Canada has done well with socialized healthcare', and 'there's no such thing as death panels'-- think again.

“Will cause trouble when bored”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#2 Oct 21, 2013
You do realize that insurance companies already do this!!! Right?? Groups of upper managment get together and decide what they cover and what they dont cover!! New cancer treatment...denied.... its experimental! One might call that a "Death panel" too huh!!

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Oct 21, 2013
Lylah wrote:
You do realize that insurance companies already do this!!! Right?? Groups of upper managment get together and decide what they cover and what they dont cover!! New cancer treatment...denied.... its experimental! One might call that a "Death panel" too huh!!
You see, it's a bit different when the government gets the decision.

When it's the insurance company, you have avenues of recourse: Several layers of state appeals, followed by several layers of federal appeals.

When the government gets first right of refusal, who you gonna appeal the decision to? Hmmmm?
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#4 Oct 21, 2013
Lylah wrote:
Except they don't call them "death panels", they can them "accountants". The clown thinks it's better when it's a financial decision made by anonymous individuals who really, deeply care about an insurance company's profits.

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Oct 21, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Except they don't call them "death panels", they can them "accountants". The clown thinks it's better when it's a financial decision made by anonymous individuals who really, deeply care about an insurance company's profits.
Since you can't read, Rusty: I think it's better when the first decision maker isn't also the last decision maker.

That's a pretty major distinction unless you're absolutely confident that one decision maker with absolute power to decide will not become a corrupt decision maker.

Perhaps you've heard of John Dalberg-Acton. He famously observed:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#6 Oct 21, 2013
Gacy, you are goofy!

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Oct 21, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
Gacy, you are goofy!
Could be worse. Could be a ferret.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#8 Oct 21, 2013
Lylah wrote:
They did this to my Best friends son, who had been in a VERY bad car crash...they did nothing to save him...it's was terrible...:(
btw, he was only 19...:(

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Oct 21, 2013
I just realized Lylah and Rusty are both arguing that the government operation will be expanding the private insurer's practices of deciding life and death and making that available to everyone, not just 'those who can afford it'.

Ah, that's so-o-o-o much improved! Po' ghetto folk gettin' death sentences just like the rich whitey 1%.

Level 6

Location hidden

#10 Oct 22, 2013
Aww u finally understood part of it, kinda um clem...my point of course was ur complaining about Obama doing something that is already being done...so u just get mad when Obama does it, correct??

And the rich whitey just pays for his denied treatment out of pocket. Smdh at your complete lack of understanding how the real world works. Lmfao

Level 6

Location hidden

#11 Oct 22, 2013
I know Marissa, there was a kid at our church that was in a wreak and paralyzed she was 20 and uninsured. The hospital stabilized her and that was it no aftercare or anything. With her break it has a high rate of success in walking with theropy and things. She got none of this because she had no money to get the care and attention she needed she will spend her life in a wheelchair parilized. It's a shame she is denied her life when the care was available, she just couldn't afford it. greed just won.

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Oct 22, 2013
Lylah wrote:
Aww u finally understood part of it, kinda um clem...my point of course was ur complaining about Obama doing something that is already being done...so u just get mad when Obama does it, correct??
And the rich whitey just pays for his denied treatment out of pocket. Smdh at your complete lack of understanding how the real world works. Lmfao
So repeating mistakes is ok with you? Why such low expectations from the Smartest President Ever? Had Bush done that, you'd be screaming bloody murder, so to speak. You have no concept of Real World, only the Obama Fantasy World.

Level 9

Powellton WV

#13 Oct 22, 2013
Uh Clem wrote:
<quoted text>
You see, it's a bit different when the government gets the decision.
When it's the insurance company, you have avenues of recourse: Several layers of state appeals, followed by several layers of federal appeals.
When the government gets first right of refusal, who you gonna appeal the decision to? Hmmmm?
It's actually WORSE to allow the insurance companies that power.
The companies bottom line is Profit. And that is all they are
worried about. They deny ppl Every Single Day....stop them from
getting the treatment that could save their lives....and no one
bothers to complain about this.

Also it's not new. It has been going on for decades. For CHF
the insurance companies give you 4 days. If you're not breathing
better in 4 days so the f@ck what. You are discharged. Why?
B/c the insurance says so. All the staff can tell the person is
call an ambulance when you get home. Come back in through the
ER and we'll readmit you for another 4 days. It's a bullshit system.
Always has been.

Level 6

Location hidden

#14 Oct 22, 2013
Assume much uh clem?? I was a gw bush supporter. Lol. I am never a hateful person I support and respect the potus no matter which party he is from. I am after all and above all an American!!!

I have faith in America. I'm not so petty that if the one I voted for didn't win that I spend the next four to eight years lying and whining about it. I have a great life no matter who is in that office.

Obama is our potus it is not a fantasy!! Omg lmfao!!!
The only fantasy world is the haters that think they can change the fact that he is potus. Omg.

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#15 Oct 22, 2013
Very scary indeed...life and death decisions being made for the sole reason to preserve the bottom line of muti- million dollar corporation.

United States

#16 Oct 22, 2013
Lylah wrote:
Assume much uh clem?? I was a gw bush supporter. Lol. I am never a hateful person I support and respect the potus no matter which party he is from. I am after all and above all an American!!!
I have faith in America. I'm not so petty that if the one I voted for didn't win that I spend the next four to eight years lying and whining about it. I have a great life no matter who is in that office.
The only fantasy world is the haters that think they can change the fact that he is potus. Omg.
Then learn to question authority instead of blindly supporting no matter what.

Level 9

Powellton WV

#17 Oct 22, 2013
Lylah wrote:
As disrespectful as some ppl have been toward
the president you'd think they really are trying to change
the fact that he IS the President.
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#18 Oct 22, 2013
arctic wrote:
<quoted text>
They still are. Still trying the impeachment talk even though they have no idea what it means. They've taken to screaming "BENGHAZI!!!!!" every other minute. And they're trying to change his legacy. Remember: These are the same people who wanted to impeach him in '08 because he was "...the worst president since Carter..." before he even took the oath of office and served a day. It's impossible to take people who never gave him a seconds respect seriously.

BTW, if you pay attention to the tea partiers, they are always projecting their agenda onto the democrats. If they were ever to get back in the White House, we'd see death panels. And those panels would have nothing to do with health insurance.

Level 6

Location hidden

#19 Oct 22, 2013
Lmfao I question (then analyze) everything!!
Again assuming u know things about total strangers.:)
Just quit trying it would be better than these lame already lost attempts at ending the conversation on top! ;)

Bless your heart!!!

“Pillars of Creation....”

Level 4

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#20 Oct 22, 2013
arctic wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama has gotten little disrespect compared to Bush.

But anyway what can a POTUS expect when he says things like >WE< won get over it. This PoTUS is no leader. Whatever happened to Hope and Change. He was going to bring the parties together and they've never been farther apart 5 years later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 2 min toad4754 7,563
Housewife convicted of frying husband (Mar '07) 3 min Maverick 808 63
tellmealie (Dec '12) 3 min toad4754 322
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 4 min Judy 123 1,080
Word Association (Jun '10) 4 min Hoosier Hillbilly 26,375
Food List (Aug '13) 5 min andet1987 1,341
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 8 min CJ Rocker 273
Is it possible to....... 12 min AliceBlue 553
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 54 min Sarah 25,671
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Sarah 152,470