Fracking for natural gas

Fracking for natural gas

Posted in the Weird Forum

Jenji_gurl

Portland, OR

#1 Apr 12, 2013
OK so here's a question,if what they're doing is using hydraulic pressure to crack and fracture the shale (which is where that term comes from) to make the natural gas come out I can understand that easily enough, but why do they have to use all those dangerous toxic chemicals that contaminate groundwater?! I mean water itself is a hydraulic fluid, why can't they just pump clean pure water down into their well and use that to "frack" the rocks?
crazy idea

Memphis, TN

#2 Apr 12, 2013
Jenji_gurl wrote:
OK so here's a question,if what they're doing is using hydraulic pressure to crack and fracture the shale (which is where that term comes from) to make the natural gas come out I can understand that easily enough, but why do they have to use all those dangerous toxic chemicals that contaminate groundwater?! I mean water itself is a hydraulic fluid, why can't they just pump clean pure water down into their well and use that to "frack" the rocks?
hydraulics need low compressibility to work efficacy.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#3 Apr 12, 2013
Jenji_gurl wrote:
The reason is water availabilty. Some fracking, not all for natural gas exploration, utilizes nearby streams or can be purchased from local municipalities. The hydraulic fracking process does use facking chemicals (frsacking fluid).

http://www.watershedcouncil.org/learn/hydraul...

Water and sand make up 98% of fracking fluid. The other chemicals that are used are:

Acid - Helps dissolve minerals and initiate cracks in the rock.
Anti-bacterial Agent - Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive byproducts.
Breaker - Allows a delayed breakdown of the gel.
Clay stabilizer - Prevents formation clays from swelling.
Corrosion inhibitor - Prevents corrosion of the pipe.
Crosslinker - Maintains fluid viscosity (re: lubricity) as temperature increases.

Just to name a few.

http://www.hydraulicfracturing.com/Fracturing...

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#4 Apr 12, 2013
Crap, sorry about the typos - dang iphone.

Level 9

Since: Nov 10

Powellton WV

#5 Apr 12, 2013
Um....hell no.

They are doing it here.
And suddenly WE have earthquakes.
Never had them b/f however many
"experts" say..."Fracking doesn't
hurt the environment"...BS.

Anytime thousands of gallons of
water are "shot" deep into the earth
filled w/dozens of carcinogenic chemicals
it is going to cause damage.
Jenji gurl

Portland, OR

#6 Apr 12, 2013
crazy idea wrote:
<quoted text>hydraulics need low compressibility to work efficacy.
Water has zero compressibility, it is a hydraulic fluid.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#7 Apr 12, 2013
Jenji gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Water has zero compressibility, it is a hydraulic fluid.
Very true - witness Pascal's Law.:o)

Unfortunately, water does have some drawbacks versus oil - rust and temperature. Brake fluid and oil-based hydraulic fluid, it has a much higher boiling point than water. Modern hydraulic systems operate at such a high pressure that temperature of the fluid is often maintained by an inline cooler(s) or secondary reservoir.

“Livin' on the edge”

Since: Mar 13

Calabasas, C.A

#8 Apr 12, 2013
For a real insight into how stupid fracking is, youtube gasland and watch the 1 hour doco on the real damage it is causing

Since: Oct 09

over here <-------->

#9 Apr 12, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason is water availabilty. Some fracking, not all for natural gas exploration, utilizes nearby streams or can be purchased from local municipalities. The hydraulic fracking process does use facking chemicals (frsacking fluid).
http://www.watershedcouncil.org/learn/hydraul...
Water and sand make up 98% of fracking fluid. The other chemicals that are used are:
Acid - Helps dissolve minerals and initiate cracks in the rock.
Anti-bacterial Agent - Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive byproducts.
Breaker - Allows a delayed breakdown of the gel.
Clay stabilizer - Prevents formation clays from swelling.
Corrosion inhibitor - Prevents corrosion of the pipe.
Crosslinker - Maintains fluid viscosity (re: lubricity) as temperature increases.
Just to name a few.
http://www.hydraulicfracturing.com/Fracturing...
Thanks M..I've been looking for that list/link.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cops: 81-year-old veteran held hostage in motel... 2 min Mitts Gold Plated... 10
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 9 min Princess Hey 10,315
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 10 min Princess Hey 13,449
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 11 min Princess Hey 82,325
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 11 min Dont_You_Dare 18,397
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 12 min Princess Hey 3,465
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 18 min THE LONE WORKER 201,180
News Trump's Newest Ad Is So Frickin' WeirdBy Olivia... 28 min Go Blue Forever 38
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 39 min avon5735 194,220
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 1 hr Crystal_Clear722 8,480
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr Denny CranesPlace 58,060
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 2 hr andet1987 7,799
More from around the web