High school senior kicked out of prom...

High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

There are 60 comments on the WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg story from Apr 22, 2014, titled High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants. In it, WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg reports that:

CHERRYVILLE, NC - According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#42 May 6, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean formal wear for men? Women at my work cannot wear a man's suit. They can wear a woman's business suit, but they can't wear formal wear for men. I'm pretty sure something like that (a woman's business suit) would not have resulted in her being removed from the prom.
If you mean what if she wore a man's tux, I feel if a girl wants to make that kind of a statement ... that's fine, but she should do that on her own time or organize her own formal function where women can show up in tuxes. I wouldn't have a problem if the school wouldn't allow a girl in wearing a man's tux, just as I wouldn't have a problem with them not letting in a boy dressed in a prom dress.
You're pretty sure, but you don't know for certain. Based on that article we have no idea if she was asked to leave because she was dressed informally or because she had pants on.
Being the literal pain that I am, the description of acceptable attire was formal, it didn't state she had to wear gender specific clothing, if she had a tux on she would have been in the right.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#43 May 6, 2014
Mechanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Wearing a pair of skinny jeans to a senior prom is not going to make her the next Michelangelo nor is wearing a prom dress to a senior prom going to prevent her from aspiring to be the next Albert Einstein.
Even Al himself didn't conform. Ever see his hairdo? He set the standard for the hippie look. So did Jesus for that matter.

The point I am trying to make is that social norms are often very rigid, and giving in to narrow-mindedness isn't always the best choice for a free spirit. Had this girl entered the prom in the nude, I could understand a bit of consternation among some attendees. But my heavens, it's not as though the girl were dressed in a Sarah Palin cocktail waitress outfit.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#44 May 6, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, there are times in life when it's the better part of valor to toe the line. This was not one of them.
I have two sons, no daughters. But if I did have a daughter, she would probably be as feminine as my beautiful wife is. When dressing for a prom, I'm sure she'd be very traditional, and probably the belle of the ball.
But that is not what feels natural to the girl in question. I think if wearing a pair of red jeans to a prom makes her feel more sociable, others should be able to get over their "shock".
I was sort of a rebel growing up. I guess I still am. If I threw a party, and some guy came dressed in a suit and tie, I'd think he was a bit freaky, but I wouldn't ask him to leave. I'd more likely say, "Vive La Difference!"
I don’t know if I was a rebel and I’ve never hosted a party with a dress code that I imposed on everyone and don’t think I ever would do so, but I would never think I should be able to attend a formal event in non-formal attire. If I were invited to a party and asked to comply with a certain dress code, it would be a d1ck move of me to show up like I own the place wearing a bandana and a Harley T-shirt and riding boots. It shows a complete lack of class and rudeness.

Others should be able to get over their shock, but the people who organize the function should get to decide what type of dress they would like. AND a prom is by definition a formal event.

Unless an occasion calls for getting dressed up, I’m a jeans and a t-shirt kind of guy most days. However, if I’ve gone through the trouble to dress to the nines with the understanding that I’m going to a formal affair, I don’t want half the people deciding the hell with it, I’m dressing like I’m hanging out at the food court at the mall and going skate boarding afterwards. Quite honestly, by doing so, they drag everyone down with them, cheapen the event, and it make the whole event seem less formal, which by definition it is supposed to be.

And the thing with the prom is if you start letting one kid dress like she’s going to the mall, before you know it … in not too long of a time, it’s not prom … it’s just a high school dance, and every kid will show up in jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes formal attire makes an occasion better. Prom is one of those occasions. My thoughts are if you don’t want to dress formally for a formal event, then don’t go.

Level 8

Location hidden

#45 May 6, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text> Based on that article we have no idea if she was asked to leave because she was dressed informally or because she had pants on.
Probably because she was dressed informally due to the fact that she had red skinny jeans on, which are informal attire.
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text> Being the literal pain that I am, the description of acceptable attire was formal, it didn't state she had to wear gender specific clothing, if she had a tux on she would have been in the right.
A similar line of thought is why manufacturers have been forced to print “this is not a toy” on plastic bags that items are packaged in.“Well it didn’t say it wasn’t a toy … so I thought it would be alright to let Junior put it over his head, and tie it around his neck, and play spaceman.”:p

Level 8

Location hidden

#46 May 6, 2014
nothing to see here wrote:
<quoted text>move on, that one will fight you to the bitter end not budging an inch. your points are valid, hers, not so much.
I've always enjoyed posting with AW. We don't always see eye to eye, but she's always respectful.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#47 May 6, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably because she was dressed informally due to the fact that she had red skinny jeans on, which are informal attire.
<quoted text>
A similar line of thought is why manufacturers have been forced to print “this is not a toy” on plastic bags that items are packaged in.“Well it didn’t say it wasn’t a toy … so I thought it would be alright to let Junior put it over his head, and tie it around his neck, and play spaceman.”:p
Hahahaha Right up there with coffee at MacDonalds, so if she sues looks like she would win :P

Level 7

Location hidden

#48 May 6, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t know if I was a rebel and I’ve never hosted a party with a dress code that I imposed on everyone and don’t think I ever would do so, but I would never think I should be able to attend a formal event in non-formal attire. If I were invited to a party and asked to comply with a certain dress code, it would be a d1ck move of me to show up like I own the place wearing a bandana and a Harley T-shirt and riding boots. It shows a complete lack of class and rudeness.
Others should be able to get over their shock, but the people who organize the function should get to decide what type of dress they would like. AND a prom is by definition a formal event.
Unless an occasion calls for getting dressed up, I’m a jeans and a t-shirt kind of guy most days. However, if I’ve gone through the trouble to dress to the nines with the understanding that I’m going to a formal affair, I don’t want half the people deciding the hell with it, I’m dressing like I’m hanging out at the food court at the mall and going skate boarding afterwards. Quite honestly, by doing so, they drag everyone down with them, cheapen the event, and it make the whole event seem less formal, which by definition it is supposed to be.
And the thing with the prom is if you start letting one kid dress like she’s going to the mall, before you know it … in not too long of a time, it’s not prom … it’s just a high school dance, and every kid will show up in jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes formal attire makes an occasion better. Prom is one of those occasions. My thoughts are if you don’t want to dress formally for a formal event, then don’t go.
I remind you, with respect to the incident in question, there was no official dress code.

In any case, you would do what makes you comfortable, and so did this girl. I just don't think her faux pas was serious enough to throw her out of the prom. I think the teacher overreacted, and might be a bit of a prig.

Level 8

Location hidden

#49 May 6, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>Hahahaha Right up there with coffee at MacDonalds, so if she sues looks like she would win :P
LOL.

I remember talking about that case in torts class. After you learn the facts, the result was pretty reasonable. That lady suffered serious 3rd degree burns and had to have skin grafts. I remember when their coffee was that hot, but I would have never thought it would give a person 3rd degree burns.

McDonalds had known of hundreds of other people who had been seriously burned from the coffee and did nothing about it. They served it at a temperature between 180-190 degrees, which is not even fit for consumption as it would destroy your mouth and esophagus if you drank anything that hot. Your coffee made at home is made at about 140 degrees and McDonalds was the only place serving it that hot.
There really was no compelling reason for McDonalds to be basically selling molten lava in a cup to the public. The fact that they kept doing so, despite knowing hundreds of people were getting injured, made them look really bad. They even got slapped with punitive damages.

Here are some of the fact:

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Level 8

Location hidden

#50 May 6, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I remind you, with respect to the incident in question, there was no official dress code.
In any case, you would do what makes you comfortable, and so did this girl. I just don't think her faux pas was serious enough to throw her out of the prom. I think the teacher overreacted, and might be a bit of a prig.
I said I didn't think they should have tossed her, because they didn't have an written dress code. I think the teacher was being a jerk too. I think the best way to have handled it would have been to institute a written dress code the next year.

I also think if you go to a prom, you should wear formal attire and one probably shouldn't need to read a dress code to know this, but I don't feel so strong about it that I would make a huge issue of it and embarrass a kid over it if I were a teacher. I think that was wrong.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#51 May 6, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
I remember talking about that case in torts class. After you learn the facts, the result was pretty reasonable. That lady suffered serious 3rd degree burns and had to have skin grafts. I remember when their coffee was that hot, but I would have never thought it would give a person 3rd degree burns.
McDonalds had known of hundreds of other people who had been seriously burned from the coffee and did nothing about it. They served it at a temperature between 180-190 degrees, which is not even fit for consumption as it would destroy your mouth and esophagus if you drank anything that hot. Your coffee made at home is made at about 140 degrees and McDonalds was the only place serving it that hot.
There really was no compelling reason for McDonalds to be basically selling molten lava in a cup to the public. The fact that they kept doing so, despite knowing hundreds of people were getting injured, made them look really bad. They even got slapped with punitive damages.
Here are some of the fact:
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm
I think around the sane time that case happened they had a few others that made me shake my head. I recall one woman sued a convenience store because she slipped in a soda or slurppie, she won the case and was awarded a rather large sum. For some reason the jury was not allowed to hear the reason it was on the floor, she had thrown it at her boyfriend. Clearly the burn case was far more serious but I connect the two for some reason.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#53 May 6, 2014
graduation and you are talking about spills ...

Proms are a tradition , one night in your life honor a tradition , bet ..mom didn't let her out dressed like that

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#54 May 6, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I said I didn't think they should have tossed her, because they didn't have an written dress code. I think the teacher was being a jerk too. I think the best way to have handled it would have been to institute a written dress code the next year.
I also think if you go to a prom, you should wear formal attire and one probably shouldn't need to read a dress code to know this, but I don't feel so strong about it that I would make a huge issue of it and embarrass a kid over it if I were a teacher. I think that was wrong.
yep , now we know why kids behave as they do PARENTS

and you compare a house party to a prom??????????

Level 8

Location hidden

#55 May 6, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text> I think around the sane time that case happened they had a few others that made me shake my head. I recall one woman sued a convenience store because she slipped in a soda or slurppie, she won the case and was awarded a rather large sum. For some reason the jury was not allowed to hear the reason it was on the floor, she had thrown it at her boyfriend. Clearly the burn case was far more serious but I connect the two for some reason.
I don't remember that one. I would be curious to know how that did not get in, as that would be contributory negligence, at the very least. If I drop a soda and slip on it right away, I don't think there is any negligence involved on the store's part, however.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#56 May 6, 2014
court retorter wrote:
<quoted text>The Hot Coffee case is STILL brought up by reichwingers who want tort reform so corporations and doctors don't have to be held responsible for their mistakes. The idea is to make others believe that that woman (who has since passed) is a scammer, looking to get rich. Remember though; behind every scammer is a scumbag lawyer making it all happen.
I was joking about laws suits, I guess it was a bad joke? Not sure where the jump to reichwingers and tort reform comes in.

Level 7

Location hidden

#57 May 6, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Norms change over time. There was a time when formal wear was the attire for attending a Broadway play. Today you would think they were attending a professional wrestling event. In general, attire has become more and more casual. It's true in the office, in fancy restaurants, and elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future kids will be going to topless proms. Then the argument might be whether or not pasties are required.

Level 8

Location hidden

#58 May 6, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
yep , now we know why kids behave as they do PARENTS
and you compare a house party to a prom??????????
If someone wanted to host a house party and demand that people wear a tux and a dress, yeah. Same thing holds true as a prom. That being, I can attend and dress up or not attend.

I haven't been to a house party that was formal, but I've too parties at country clubs where you had to put on a suit and the women were dressed formally.

This parent is teaching her kid that she should get to dress however she wants, where ever she wants. It doesn't always work that way in the real world.

Level 8

Location hidden

#59 May 6, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Norms change over time. There was a time when formal wear was the attire for attending a Broadway play. Today you would think they were attending a professional wrestling event. In general, attire has become more and more casual. It's true in the office, in fancy restaurants, and elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future kids will be going to topless proms. Then the argument might be whether or not pasties are required.
Lol.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#60 May 6, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone wanted to host a house party and demand that people wear a tux and a dress, yeah. Same thing holds true as a prom. That being, I can attend and dress up or not attend.
I haven't been to a house party that was formal, but I've too parties at country clubs where you had to put on a suit and the women were dressed formally.
This parent is teaching her kid that she should get to dress however she wants, where ever she wants. It doesn't always work that way in the real world.
right ,a clown suit to a wake .......... geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezu s
what does she do after the prom work the 4 corners ??? dressed for it

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Level 1

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#62 May 7, 2014
Sadly it's the slobbing of America. I so recall my parents who'd take us to Las Vegas every New Year. They'd get all dolled up, my dad in suit and tie, my mom in fancy dress and high heels. The last time I was in Vegas, about a year ago, it was so casual that the people could have been washing cars.

There's an "I Love Lucy" episode where Lucy gets a trophy stuck on her head. She wants to go downtown to get it removed and Ethel says she has to change. She tells Lucy that she can't go on the subway wearing PANTS, as if it was indecent or something.

Now a girl wears pants to the dressiest night of most high school kids' career. It's the end of grace and culture.

Level 7

Location hidden

#63 May 7, 2014
Curteese wrote:
Sadly it's the slobbing of America. I so recall my parents who'd take us to Las Vegas every New Year. They'd get all dolled up, my dad in suit and tie, my mom in fancy dress and high heels. The last time I was in Vegas, about a year ago, it was so casual that the people could have been washing cars.
There's an "I Love Lucy" episode where Lucy gets a trophy stuck on her head. She wants to go downtown to get it removed and Ethel says she has to change. She tells Lucy that she can't go on the subway wearing PANTS, as if it was indecent or something.
Now a girl wears pants to the dressiest night of most high school kids' career. It's the end of grace and culture.
I'll tell you a secret. Those people in Vegas WERE washing cars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any Word ! (Mar '11) 1 min Princess Hey 4,784
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 min beatlesinthebog 18,557
Word association (Jun '07) 5 min beatlesinthebog 4,841
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 min F_R_E_D 58,302
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 6 min beatlesinthebog 11,782
Word Association (Mar '10) 7 min beatlesinthebog 20,705
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 9 min beatlesinthebog 6,162
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min Sharlene45 194,881
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 hr F_R_E_D 7,912
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 2 hr Dman 32,709