High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

Apr 22, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg

CHERRYVILLE, NC - According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since.

Comments
21 - 40 of 60 Comments Last updated May 7, 2014
Level 2

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2014

They oughta just leave the area. Move from Cherryville NC to Innercourse PA perhaps.

“Don't worry about me, I"m fine”

Level 5

Since: Aug 13

middle of nowhere

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Judged:

At the root of the senior prank and this prom issue is ....RESPECT! The students do not respect the building or staff who have to clean it up anymore than MS. Skinny jeans respected the traditions of prom.

When we ( as a society) stopped disciplining our children; they stopped respecting anyone or anything. We need to return to the time when we ( all people) were responsible for our actions.

When kids were responsible for their grades, not the teacher for not teaching.
When kids were responsible for their behavior, not the aderrol
When teachers were responsible for teaching, not mom and dad do the homework
When employees went to work because they were supposed to be there
When neighbors helped neighbors because it was the right thing to do, instead of getting paid for it

Resect for our elders and others went a long way .....now its not my fault, not my responsibility and if it doesn't involve me, I don't care.

Kinda sad, this world we live in.
TheHellYouSay

Auburn, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Alfred E Newmanm wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you actually try to make an intelligent response or do you just have verbal diarrhea? How is one related to the other?
Not only does this post of yours not make any sense what so ever, it is not even related to this thread and very off topic.
Keep up Al. "Societal norms", "tradition", "unwritten rules", you know, all those things that should deny a graduating senior from her prom all because she didn't mindlessly follow the crowd. Sheesh.........you've been yammering about those incessantly. A bit of a drinking problem Al? Makes you forgetful you know. That's right, you forgot.
If you're having problems understanding sole English, find your nearest 3rd grader and ask him/her to read it for you. Have them translate it using all words though. We know you're having a hard time keeping up with the rest of the class.
The correlation between the two is your "tradition" belief. Senior prank day is a "tradition" also. Why aren't you defending the right of those NJ students to trash their school?
derry

Erin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

at the redlight?

Since: Sep 12

Cherryville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

TheHellYouSay wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep up Al. "Societal norms", "tradition", "unwritten rules", you know, all those things that should deny a graduating senior from her prom all because she didn't mindlessly follow the crowd. Sheesh.........you've been yammering about those incessantly. A bit of a drinking problem Al? Makes you forgetful you know. That's right, you forgot.
If you're having problems understanding sole English, find your nearest 3rd grader and ask him/her to read it for you. Have them translate it using all words though. We know you're having a hard time keeping up with the rest of the class.
The correlation between the two is your "tradition" belief. Senior prank day is a "tradition" also. Why aren't you defending the right of those NJ students to trash their school?
It is sad. Those that drink and type. Really people should understand their limits and take appropriate measures to ensure that their drunken blathering are kept from the sober public at large.
Hopefully you are taking measures to combat your substance abuse problem, what ever that substance maybe.
lefty

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2014

Judged:

Nobody 2 Special wrote:
At the root of the senior prank and this prom issue is ....RESPECT! The students do not respect the building or staff who have to clean it up anymore than MS. Skinny jeans respected the traditions of prom.
When we ( as a society) stopped disciplining our children; they stopped respecting anyone or anything. We need to return to the time when we ( all people) were responsible for our actions.
When neighbors helped neighbors because it was the right thing to do, instead of getting paid for it
Resect for our elders and others went a long way .....now its not my fault, not my responsibility and if it doesn't involve me, I don't care.
What was the senior prom prank ?

Level 5

middle of nowhere

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

lefty wrote:
<quoted text>
What was the senior prom prank ?
It was not a prom prank, just a senior prank. 62 students in New Jersey broke into their HS overnight and vandalized it.
Mechanic

Pelican, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Nobody 2 Special wrote:
Agreed.
This is not McDonalds, you don't get a Happy Meal and you don't get to "Have It Your Way".
If you don't like the rules for this event then organize your own event and set your own rules.
TheHellYouSay

Auburn, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Mechanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
This is not McDonalds, you don't get a Happy Meal and you don't get to "Have It Your Way".
If you don't like the rules for this event then organize your own event and set your own rules.
There are no rules. Even the school acknowledges that there are no dress codes for the prom. The only rules are the ones that were made up in the minds of those that feel they are better than everyone else. She was dressed "appropriately" for a school function and should not have been told to leave. This is nothing more than a bunch of wannabes discriminating against someone for nothing other than appearance. This was a school function. She was dressed in attire that the school spelled for school functions. No dress code is spelled out in the rules as to what is considered appropriate at a prom. It does however spell out what isn't appropriate. When you look at that, she was pretty much the only one that "was" dressed appropriately.

I still find it funny that this young lady is being chastised for what she wore to her prom and not being praised that she graduated. I guess appearance is more noteworthy than accomplishment.

Level 5

middle of nowhere

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Judged:

TheHellYouSay wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no rules. Even the school acknowledges that there are no dress codes for the prom. The only rules are the ones that were made up in the minds of those that feel they are better than everyone else. She was dressed "appropriately" for a school function and should not have been told to leave. This is nothing more than a bunch of wannabes discriminating against someone for nothing other than appearance. This was a school function. She was dressed in attire that the school spelled for school functions. No dress code is spelled out in the rules as to what is considered appropriate at a prom. It does however spell out what isn't appropriate. When you look at that, she was pretty much the only one that "was" dressed appropriately.
I still find it funny that this young lady is being chastised for what she wore to her prom and not being praised that she graduated. I guess appearance is more noteworthy than accomplishment.
When I see fancy, pretty dresses; I think to my self "that's a pretty prom dress" I have never and suggest that nobody else has ever thought or said to themselves "those are cute prom jeans"!!!!

So by social standards; red skinny jeans are NOT appropriate prom attire!
Mechanic

Pelican, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

It's rule of common sense.

The title of the event is "PROM",

Defined by Merriam-Webster as,
-A formal dance given by a high school or college class.

The keyword is "formal",

Defined by Merriam-Webster as,
- Following or according with established form or customs.

She knew it was a formal event.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Alfred E Newmanm wrote:
<quoted text>
Lefty not sure if I can agree. Social norms should have taught this kid what is acceptable attire for a prom. Tight pants and a shirt are not acceptable attire in anyone's book. The defense is that there is no written dress code for the prom in the student handbook. I am sorry but it should have been very obvious to everyone that was going to the prom what is acceptable. There should never have been a need to "spell it out".
The teacher did exactly what any administrator should do in that situation. After all would you wear jeans to a funeral? Would you wear cutoffs to a church service? These are social norms that every parent and any kid over the age of 12 should have been taught while growing up.
The trouble with "social norms" is that they ignore the world's "abnormals", you know, the ones who innovate, invent, create art, solve big problems? Your approach defeats individuality, without which the world would die on the vine.

By the way, the reason I don't attend church services is that my clothes aren't boring enough.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Judged:

I have no problem with a formal dress requirement, and I think she was dressed inappropriately. They should just make it official policy. Since they did not, she should not have been asked to leave.

There are certain occasions where you should dress up. Prom is one of those occasions, IMO.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Judged:

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>The trouble with "social norms" is that they ignore the world's "abnormals", you know, the ones who innovate, invent, create art, solve big problems? Your approach defeats individuality, without which the world would die on the vine.
By the way, the reason I don't attend church services is that my clothes aren't boring enough.
It's one night of your life. If you can't handle not dressing like you are going to the mall for one day in your life, you aren't going to amount to much anyway because you are completely lacking in any discipline. There are many things in life that involve doing things you would prefer not to do if given the choice. To raise children to be entitled brats, who always get their way, is a mistake, I feel.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Judged:

Not all girls like to wear dresses. I am curious if she would have been asked to leave if she was wearing formal attire for men..
Mechanic

Pelican, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>The trouble with "social norms" is that they ignore the world's "abnormals", you know, the ones who innovate, invent, create art, solve big problems? Your approach defeats individuality, without which the world would die on the vine.
Wearing a pair of skinny jeans to a senior prom is not going to make her the next Michelangelo nor is wearing a prom dress to a senior prom going to prevent her from aspiring to be the next Albert Einstein.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Judged:

Always Wary wrote:
Not all girls like to wear dresses. I am curious if she would have been asked to leave if she was wearing formal attire for men..
I don't like to wear dress pants to work on days when I'm not meeting colleagues. I'm usually in my office most of the day, anyway ... what's it matter. So, I would like to wear a pair of jeans, or shorts, and t-shirt on days when I don't have meetings. I can't do so, because we have a dress code at work. I somehow manage to survive, despite this, in much the same way that I survive even though I'd like to have a flying car, and take weekend space trips to an orbital space station above mars, but don't get to. It's called life.

I don't see any good coming from teaching a kid that they always get to do what they want to do in life.

As I see it, in my spare time and when I am at home or in a public setting, I can wear what I want. When I go to work, a place of business with a dress code, or a function with a dress code, my choices are to either abide by the dress code, not work there, not go to the business, or not attend the function. I don't see anything unjust about that. It's not all about me and what I want.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like to wear dress pants to work on days when I'm not meeting colleagues. I'm usually in my office most of the day, anyway ... what's it matter. So, I would like to wear a pair of jeans, or shorts, and t-shirt on days when I don't have meetings. I can't do so, because we have a dress code at work. I somehow manage to survive, despite this, in much the same way that I survive even though I'd like to have a flying car, and take weekend space trips to an orbital space station above mars, but don't get to. It's called life.
I don't see any good coming from teaching a kid that they always get to do what they want to do in life.
As I see it, in my spare time and when I am at home or in a public setting, I can wear what I want. When I go to work, a place of business with a dress code, or a function with a dress code, my choices are to either abide by the dress code, not work there, not go to the business, or not attend the function. I don't see anything unjust about that. It's not all about me and what I want.

I agree she was not formally dressed, I am simply curious if she was wearing formal wear for men if she would have been allowed to stay.

If you were required to wear a kilt we might have a comparison, until then it's moot IMO.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Judged:

Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree she was not formally dressed, I am simply curious if she was wearing formal wear for men if she would have been allowed to stay.
If you were required to wear a kilt we might have a comparison, until then it's moot IMO.
What do you mean formal wear for men? Women at my work cannot wear a man's suit. They can wear a woman's business suit, but they can't wear formal wear for men. I'm pretty sure something like that (a woman's business suit) would not have resulted in her being removed from the prom.

If you mean what if she wore a man's tux, I feel if a girl wants to make that kind of a statement ... that's fine, but she should do that on her own time or organize her own formal function where women can show up in tuxes. I wouldn't have a problem if the school wouldn't allow a girl in wearing a man's tux, just as I wouldn't have a problem with them not letting in a boy dressed in a prom dress.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2014

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's one night of your life. If you can't handle not dressing like you are going to the mall for one day in your life, you aren't going to amount to much anyway because you are completely lacking in any discipline. There are many things in life that involve doing things you would prefer not to do if given the choice. To raise children to be entitled brats, who always get their way, is a mistake, I feel.
Yes, there are times in life when it's the better part of valor to toe the line. This was not one of them.
I have two sons, no daughters. But if I did have a daughter, she would probably be as feminine as my beautiful wife is. When dressing for a prom, I'm sure she'd be very traditional, and probably the belle of the ball.

But that is not what feels natural to the girl in question. I think if wearing a pair of red jeans to a prom makes her feel more sociable, others should be able to get over their "shock".

I was sort of a rebel growing up. I guess I still am. If I threw a party, and some guy came dressed in a suit and tie, I'd think he was a bit freaky, but I wouldn't ask him to leave. I'd more likely say, "Vive La Difference!"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••