Landlord spray paints 'deadbeat tenants' on home

Aug 5, 2010 Full story: www.wsbt.com 76

WBTV reports that landlord Vanessa McCants spray painted the words "deadbeat tenants" on a Charlotte house she rents to Shanae Jackson.

Full Story

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#41 Aug 10, 2010
NiftyWitch wrote:
There are a lot of idiots out there who make horrible tenants. But there are just as many greedy, crooked landlords who just want to collect the rent, and not fulfill any of their responsibilities.
I've had some great landlords, and I've also had Landlords From Hell.
Exactly. It works both ways. And you also have people on both sides who want to do more than they do. There are those who genuinely are looking for work and finding nothing. And there are landlords who bite off more than they can chew. They want to keep the places livable, but are overworked and short on funds. And it can become a self-perpetuating problem, since shoddy apartments don't get paying tenants, and deadbeat tenants tend not to get their apartments repaired in a timely fashion.

“behind curtain #1”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#43 Aug 11, 2010
NiftyWitch wrote:
There are a lot of idiots out there who make horrible tenants. But there are just as many greedy, crooked landlords who just want to collect the rent, and not fulfill any of their responsibilities.
I've had some great landlords, and I've also had Landlords From Hell.
I'm my own landlord, so I couldn't tell you_never had the experience either way_but have heard some wild stories.

Level 8

Plum, Purplonia

#44 Aug 11, 2010
Reminds me of the guy who sold his television because of where he lived. He could open the blinds and see sex, drugs, violence, fights, medical emergencies, drama, prostitution, police action, and much of what was on the 6 PM news.

And I remember the Oprah episode where a woman had 15 kids. DSS/CPS had a few of the youngest and the DOC had a few of the oldest. And she was on crack, the house was ran down, you could see outside through the walls, see the ground from the floor, and see wires exposed and pipes hanging down, not to mention the roaches.

Or, there was the guy who raised mice. No big deal. He was rather responsible. But the landlord panicked and evicted him. So he busted holes in the walls, emptied the entire stock of mice into the holes, then called the health department. The landlord was ordered to demolish the house.
putting it back together

Watseka, IL

#45 Aug 15, 2010
Who cares wrote:
Saw another way, Take the front door off the hinges. Might not work in the Winter.
lol i really like your style,, I had a moble home we rented because of a famileys members illness and the tens wouldn't pay the rend [and it was a really good deal for the dead beats so we went to UPGRADE the fuse box and had problems getting it back together. i think the temp was 25 deg outside and the power in the deal they had was supose to be with the rent. it didn't take but a couple days for the icecubes to move. and we have NEVER RENTED ANYTHING AGAIN hard lesson learned
vikki

Greensboro, NC

#46 Aug 16, 2010
What about dead beat land lords.Even though they wont fix things like air,wireing,ant galore yes i have sprayed every day I cant by law withhold rent.It is hard to find a nice home now days..

Level 8

Plum, Purplonia

#47 Aug 16, 2010
vikki wrote:
What about dead beat land lords.Even though they wont fix things like air,wireing,ant galore yes i have sprayed every day I cant by law withhold rent.It is hard to find a nice home now days..
I taught myself how to do wiring. If it was a broken switch or light fixture, I'd gladly fix it for you.

As for ants, actually, ant bait stations work better than spraying for them. They are about 2" in diameter, and they should be available in hardware stores, pharmacies, and grocery stores. You just punch out the tabs and place them in high ant traffic locations. The ants take it back to their colonies, and it wipes out the entire colony. Just spraying only takes out individuals.
putting it back together

United States

#48 Aug 17, 2010
You Know,, right this very min i have a very nice [nicer than my own home] home that is empty for this reason,, i would rather have it empty than deal with the crap of dealing with people and the morgage kills me. but with the trailer people still in my mind i spoke of earlyer i don't chance it. and it's both ways the ten or the lord can be bad. but oyu know if oyu have a bad house or landlord you can move. go somewhere else. but when you the ten stay in the house with out paying or tare the house up you are stealing just like a bank rober. shop lifter

Level 8

Plum, Purplonia

#49 Aug 19, 2010
putting it back together wrote:
You Know,, right this very min i have a very nice [nicer than my own home] home that is empty for this reason,, i would rather have it empty than deal with the crap of dealing with people and the morgage kills me. but with the trailer people still in my mind i spoke of earlyer i don't chance it. and it's both ways the ten or the lord can be bad. but oyu know if oyu have a bad house or landlord you can move. go somewhere else. but when you the ten stay in the house with out paying or tare the house up you are stealing just like a bank rober. shop lifter
Absolutely. I was one of the few who lived in apartments ran by a crackhead landlord when new management took over. The landlord let the property go into foreclosure. And then a realty took over for the bank, and they didn't fix things. So I was glad when someone bought the properties.

Anyway, according to the new management, I was the only one from the few tenants left who was worth letting stay on the property. They said that if they had it to do again, they would have evicted everyone and started over from scratch. There were people like 6 months behind on their rent, squatters, looters, drug dealers, people fighting, etc. Well, the new landlord cared enough to set up stings and stakeouts on the property. Just recently, he had suspicions about a tenant, so he spent the night in the empty apartment across from them. And through the peephole, he witnessed a drug deal. So after they finished, he came out and told the woman she was evicted. About the only problem I hear much about now is occasional theft in the parking lot.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Sao Paulo

#50 Aug 20, 2010
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. I was one of the few who lived in apartments ran by a crackhead landlord when new management took over. The landlord let the property go into foreclosure. And then a realty took over for the bank, and they didn't fix things. So I was glad when someone bought the properties.
Anyway, according to the new management, I was the only one from the few tenants left who was worth letting stay on the property. They said that if they had it to do again, they would have evicted everyone and started over from scratch. There were people like 6 months behind on their rent, squatters, looters, drug dealers, people fighting, etc. Well, the new landlord cared enough to set up stings and stakeouts on the property. Just recently, he had suspicions about a tenant, so he spent the night in the empty apartment across from them. And through the peephole, he witnessed a drug deal. So after they finished, he came out and told the woman she was evicted. About the only problem I hear much about now is occasional theft in the parking lot.
Gee Purp, wouldn't want to be your neighbor!
Chicagoan by Birth

Indianapolis, IN

#51 Aug 20, 2010
Take the front door off, In the northern regions, you couldn't do this in the Winter, but Spring or Summer wouldn't matter

Level 8

Plum, Purplonia

#52 Aug 20, 2010
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee Purp, wouldn't want to be your neighbor!
Hey, it is much better here than it used to be.

I used to be in what was a boarding house down the street, until it was burned and later demolished. It really was bad there. After an evening of listening to arguing while I watched TV and played solitaire, I heard a really loud blast in the hallway. Then it was deathly quiet. The arguing had totally ceased. Once I thought it might be safe, I opened my door and saw a corpse, a huge pool of blood, and brain matter on the walls. Someone upstairs came downstairs and screamed, "What the f*** happened? What the f*** happened?" About that point, I grabbed the phone, and in minutes, the street was lined with cop cars. We were all taken in for questioning, and they caught the guy the next day. He made it easier for them. While fleeing the scene, he shot himself in the foot. Unable to walk far like that, he car-jacked someone, and they drove him into town. And the carjack victim probably called the police after leaving the drop-off spot, taking them right to the hideout.

Sao Paulo

#53 Aug 23, 2010
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, it is much better here than it used to be.
I used to be in what was a boarding house down the street, until it was burned and later demolished. It really was bad there. After an evening of listening to arguing while I watched TV and played solitaire, I heard a really loud blast in the hallway. Then it was deathly quiet. The arguing had totally ceased. Once I thought it might be safe, I opened my door and saw a corpse, a huge pool of blood, and brain matter on the walls. Someone upstairs came downstairs and screamed, "What the f*** happened? What the f*** happened?" About that point, I grabbed the phone, and in minutes, the street was lined with cop cars. We were all taken in for questioning, and they caught the guy the next day. He made it easier for them. While fleeing the scene, he shot himself in the foot. Unable to walk far like that, he car-jacked someone, and they drove him into town. And the carjack victim probably called the police after leaving the drop-off spot, taking them right to the hideout.
So we can safely conclude that you're not Donald Trump's neighbor.
Just another day in the life of the Purple Girl?

Level 8

Plum, Purplonia

#54 Aug 23, 2010
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
So we can safely conclude that you're not Donald Trump's neighbor.
Just another day in the life of the Purple Girl?
Yes, certainly not his neighbor, but wouldn't mind it. And Trump would not have been a victim like that since he would have "fired" the tenant involved long before it reached that point.

It was certainly another day in my life and not one I would forget. Two days prior, I had contemplated suicide over an incident that happened in town. But it so happened that some drunk was urinating in the street, and that was amusing enough to keep me from sinking completely into the hole of depression. That was Christmas Eve of 2000. The day after Christmas was when the tenant killed my landlord, apparently over a dispute involving drugs.

Speaking of the killer, there was something about him in the newspaper a week or two before the murder, though not by name. It was an editorial. The address was not even given, but with the details, we knew who and where. The police was in the boarding house looking for the guy, presumably for drug charges. The police heard a tapping noise. Being December, they assumed it was a furnace under the house, and indeed, there was one under there. The door to the dealer's room was already broken, so the police walked in there. He wasn't there, but they found the source of the tapping noise. A hand with money was sticking up through a hole in the floor. That was one of his customers. The landlord told him not to deal drugs *in* the house, so he was dealing them *under* the house.

The next month, the brother of the deceased owner came to my door, told me to pack my [stuff], and that he was moving me to a house down the street. So I moved, and within 2 days of getting my stuff to that other house, the other one just happened to catch on fire. I thought that was suspicious. With a reminder of the unpleasant evening, and probably some debts, there was quite an incentive for insurance fraud for someone. Within a couple of months, I was offered an apartment. At the time, I was reluctant to move again, but I was tired of the drama. What clinched it was when someone who didn't live in the house kept beating on the bathroom door while I was on the toilet. Just being able to have my own place and not have to share the facilities was certainly a step up.

Sao Paulo

#55 Aug 24, 2010
Sounds good Purp, and for the first time in my life, I can say 'you go girl'!

Ha. that was fun. Fortunately I'll probably never need to say that again.

“Somebody took my name - Hello”

Since: Aug 10

Being chased by an icon troll!

#56 Aug 24, 2010
Okay, so this dead beat says she cannot afford to pay rent and moving expenses??? She has not paid the rent so why doesn't the dead beat pay the moving expenses and get out of the house she is living in for free.

The home owner needs to spray paint it again and again. It isn't right that if you own property and rent it to someone and then they decide they cannot or will not pay rent any longer they can continue to live there for free and it take an act of Congress to get them out of your house.

I have no use for a deadbeat who will not pay their bills. Would be willing to bet this same deadbeat who claims she cannot afford to pay the rent has cable, internet, cell phone, and all the other luxuries she wants. And if she couldnt afford to live there WHY did she rent it to start wtih.

And to my stalker---Yea mark me with clueless, racy, and disagree. I'd do it myself to beat you to it but it won't let me. lol

“WOOH!!”

Level 1

Since: May 08

Vallejo, CA

#57 Aug 24, 2010
Simba the brave Lion wrote:
Okay, so this dead beat says she cannot afford to pay rent and moving expenses??? She has not paid the rent so why doesn't the dead beat pay the moving expenses and get out of the house she is living in for free.
The home owner needs to spray paint it again and again. It isn't right that if you own property and rent it to someone and then they decide they cannot or will not pay rent any longer they can continue to live there for free and it take an act of Congress to get them out of your house.
I have no use for a deadbeat who will not pay their bills. Would be willing to bet this same deadbeat who claims she cannot afford to pay the rent has cable, internet, cell phone, and all the other luxuries she wants. And if she couldnt afford to live there WHY did she rent it to start wtih.
And to my stalker---Yea mark me with clueless, racy, and disagree. I'd do it myself to beat you to it but it won't let me. lol
It can take a couple of months to get the money together for moving expenses. I don't know about other states, but here in CA landlords can charge up to three times the amount of the rent for move-in. Then there's the costs of moving... truck rental if you don't own or have friends with trucks, gas, feeding helpers, and all the other little stuff that goes along with the process.

I spent about two years recovering from a layoff. Finally found a permanent place to live, and spent all the money I'd managed to save up moving in. Two months later, the landlord called and told me she was letting the house go back to the bank. I told her she could keep the money I'd given her for last month's rent, but she wasn't getting another dime out of me.
MSBONJOB

Los Angeles, CA

#58 Aug 24, 2010
Shanae wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for lettin me be sayin my side of da story bro...
We ain't no deadbeats, it be hard times. We gots three 1989 Caddys that have 8 more years of payments to go. We gots to chose what be mo impotant, car payment or rent? It be 6 months befo we can get victed but the repo man can come in less than 2 months. So decision it be easy, make da car payments.
it be hard times cruzzin in the caddys tryin to come up on som crack or smak jack. Life ain't easy with da landlord paintin the place with a pipe in my face. she's blowin my high bro, don't ya know? Get her outta my space this be my place till the fuzz tells me I gots to go

“Somebody took my name - Hello”

Since: Aug 10

Being chased by an icon troll!

#59 Aug 24, 2010
NiftyWitch wrote:
<quoted text>
It can take a couple of months to get the money together for moving expenses. I don't know about other states, but here in CA landlords can charge up to three times the amount of the rent for move-in. Then there's the costs of moving... truck rental if you don't own or have friends with trucks, gas, feeding helpers, and all the other little stuff that goes along with the process.
I spent about two years recovering from a layoff. Finally found a permanent place to live, and spent all the money I'd managed to save up moving in. Two months later, the landlord called and told me she was letting the house go back to the bank. I told her she could keep the money I'd given her for last month's rent, but she wasn't getting another dime out of me.
I guess I just see it more from the landlord's view. And NO I am not a landlord. I would never have rental property and this is exactly why. The peopel living there are suppose to be paying rent. They just decide they don't want to pay anymore and are living there for free. It isn't right. And it isn't right that the free loader can live there and not pay and they can't get them out.

In your case it is a little different. You had not been missing payments. It wasn't right on her part to just call you up and say oh btw, I am not going to pay on this here house anymore so you're fixing to be homeless.
Capn Greg

Marshall, NC

#60 Aug 24, 2010
NiftyWitch wrote:
<quoted text>
1. It's a civil matter, not a criminal matter.
2. Not all situation are like that.
3. Landlords and tenants are all human. They can be responsible and law-abiding, or complete @holes. I've always been a responsible tenant, took care of the places I rented and never trashed anything, no matter how awful the landlord was. But I can tell you horror stories of what I've had to put up with from unethical property owners, and believe it or not, the law is on their side. It's very hard to fight back, unless you can afford a good lawyer.
*clears his throat*

Bullshit. I own several rental properties that I maintain to a level that I would live in myself. One renter got almost 3 months behind and I allowed her to leave without paying me just to get her out so I could rent the place to someone else. She thanked me by pouring red paint on all the rooms with carpet.

Another renter just filed for bankruptcy, putting an automatic stay on any debts he has, including back rent, and being that rent isn't a secured asset, I will go WAY BACK in line, and being Chapter 13, IF.......... BIG FRIGGIN IF I get any money for back rent, it will be pennies on the dollar spread out over time... Also, since filing bankruptcy, renter's automatic stay prevents me for filing ANY eviction action against him. So... I have to sit on my hands for at least 30 MORE days with no rent, then start an eviction process that takes up to 60 or 90 days, meanwhile, this shithead was two months behind, now adding this month, and potentially 3 more months. Hmmmm, helluva deal, live completely rent-free for 6 months...

Now, do you suppose how I am to explain to the bank that wants MY payment each month ON TIME, that I can't pay them now because my poor unfortunate tenant just went belly up?*crickets*

The law should be such that if a person (renter) is occupying a property that he is in arrears on rent payments, that person has 7 days from the date of filing for bankruptcy to vacate the property and give the owner the opportunity to minimize his losses by putting the property back on the market for rent. The renter has no basis in the property, therefore it will neither help nor hurt his debt recovery through bankruptcy.

We all make bad choices, and I would hope learn from them and don't repeat them. But I don't see how his bad choices are teaching me a lesson. I'm filing a motion to lift the automatic stay this week, and am hoping the court finds my argument favorably. I'm filing pro se, as I sure don't intend to feed lawyers while I'm at it...

“WOOH!!”

Level 1

Since: May 08

Vallejo, CA

#61 Aug 24, 2010
@Simba: Exactly. She claimed she'd had no idea when she rented the property to us that she'd end up letting them go into foreclosure, but how do you NOT know that your finances are that precarious? And, when I told our mail carrier what was going on, she said, "I had a feeling she was going to do that to you guys; she's had three other properties in town go into foreclosure already." So, her plan was to have us live there, and pocket the rent money until the bank took over. Which, by the way, is illegal.

@Capn Greg. How is your situation proof that my statements are incorrect? Yours is only one circumstance out of hundreds of thousands. I'm sorry you are going through this, but that doesn't change the reality that crappy landlords do exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 7,078
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 10 min Hoosier Hillbilly 29,386
Skunk with head stuck in beer can rescued in Ohio 1 hr JailBroke 3
10-Year-Old Goldfish Undergoes Brain Surgery 1 hr TALLYHO 8541 36
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Chimney1 116,599
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 1 hr Grace Nerissa 24,103
What's your tip for the day? 1 hr SLY WEST 1,029
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr wichita-rick 147,023
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 2 hr SLY WEST 5,592
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 5 hr -Kevin- 20,051
I Like..... (Mar '14) 6 hr Petal Power 280
•••

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE