Who has the worst mother-in-law?

Posted in the Weird Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sunshine state native

Idaho Falls, ID

#1 Dec 9, 2006
Well, we can't complain too much about our MIL's to our husbands, but we need to vent somewhere! Does anyone else have a MIL who is a snob, backstabbber, judgemental jerk who can't let go of her son even though he is a grown, independent adult, happily married and successful?

And are you raising your children "right" or does she mettle in everything you do? Why can't these women go find some friends and get a life!

Let's hear it ladies!!!(Guys too, I know some of you have mother in laws who are completely insane!!) What is their problem?

“Spring is here, ”

Level 7

Since: Sep 06

next comes summer! Yippee!!

#3 Dec 9, 2006
Yep...I think mine is the worst....mine is everything that you already listed....I ignore and stay away....

“I see you! ”

Since: Apr 06

Kansas City, Missouri

#4 Dec 9, 2006
Sunshine state native wrote:
Well, we can't complain too much about our MIL's to our husbands, but we need to vent somewhere! Does anyone else have a MIL who is a snob, backstabbber, judgemental jerk who can't let go of her son even though he is a grown, independent adult, happily married and successful?
And are you raising your children "right" or does she mettle in everything you do? Why can't these women go find some friends and get a life!
Let's hear it ladies!!!(Guys too, I know some of you have mother in laws who are completely insane!!) What is their problem?
I think that i have the worst "monster in law" that the good Lord put on this earth. She can't stand the fact that my hubby and I have a GREAT marriage and that he doesn't bow down and kiss her a$$ anymore. She even got pissed off at me because my hubby and I named our son after our grandfathers whose names are John. She thought that we should name him something else. And then had the balls to tell me while I was in the hospital after having my son that she was NOT going to call him John. Even though THAT is his name. UGH!! needless to say she only sees him twice a month if she is lucky.
I will gladly sell her to the lowest bidder if anyone is interested........lol
Idaho resident

Idaho Falls, ID

#5 Dec 9, 2006
I wonder if it's legal to sell your mother in law on ebay?

Yep, low bidder takes all!!

They're easy to ignore if they don't live in the same state but we can't all be that lucky.

The movie "Monster in Law" about says it all!! I think they consulted with mine about how to play the role best.

“Diff Strokes For Diff Folks”

Since: Dec 06

United States

#6 Dec 9, 2006
No, NO, NO, Miine is the worst!!! 31 years verifiable the worst!!!! 1st She condemned me because I "trapped her son." Beleive me, I had my parents behind me, if I wasn't sure my husband didn't want to marry me for me, instead of my baby, we wouldn't have gotten married. THEN come to find out SHE had to get married!!!!LOL THEN, SHE made her oldest daughter have an abortion. How is that for starters? That is really before I got married!!!
Mommy of four

San Antonio, TX

#7 Dec 9, 2006
My mother-in-law is the best and most respected person that I have ever admired. She died about 29 years before my husband and I were married.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

A little hole in the wall.

#8 Dec 10, 2006
Idaho resident wrote:
They're easy to ignore if they don't live in the same state but we can't all be that lucky.
The movie "Monster in Law" about says it all!! I think they consulted with mine about how to play the role best.
Easy to ignore if they don't live in the same state?

Mine lives clear across the country --- 5000 miles and still her influence reached me.

Actually, for many years I considered myself very lucky to have a pretty good mother in law and in-law family.

But when my wife's accident happened and it was time to decide who would manage her insurance settlement and basicaly decide how she would be taken care of, they threatened to take me to court if I tried to get that right, which I think should automatically go to the spouse.

SO, after 5 years from hell, and a clear indication that the person who was given that role over me was messing up, and the public trustee was booting her out, they did indeed take me to court to try to block me again ... thankfully I won but at this point in time I will probably never want to see any of my in-law family every again, even now that we've been divorced 2.5 years, which probably happened because of their interference..

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#9 Dec 10, 2006
PS. Thanks for this opportunity to vent (O:)
Grace Nerissa

Ireland

#10 Dec 10, 2006
Joke>

"My mother-in-law was bitten by an alsation recently'''' Dear Dear! and how is she now?''

'' Oh! she is fine, but the dog died!''

Menifee, AR

#11 Dec 10, 2006
Hey now all you mother-in-law bashers.....I are one.(:-)
Can I jump in here for a comment or two.
I think just about every woman hates her mother-in-law. Reason being, most of their husband's are mama's boys so to speak. I have 3 sons and want them to be happy. I try not to meddle,(they would say different).
For those of us who had only sons, we know that when we get old we will never have anyone to help take care of us unless it is our grandkids. I try not to get too close to daughter-in-laws because of the interfering thing. But they don't try to get too close to me either. Never once has any of them ever asked me to shopping or out to eat with them. When it comes to presents at Christmas or any holiday, son's are told, it's your mother you get the gift!I always had to shop for my mother-in-law for holidays. I take care of my grandchildren alot tho,and as I mentioned in another forum, I even let ex daughter-in-law live in house we have.
I know that I was probably not a good daughter-in-law either and I regret that because both my husband's and my mother are gone now!
So all you mother-in-law haters out there, step back for a minute and know that someday the tables will turn and you will be the mother-in-law.
I think the real problem is that we love our children so much and don't want to see them hurt,that we might step over the line and do and say things that we really don't mean. When they are older, we can't just kiss their boo boos and make things better.
Just my 2 cents worth here!
And good morning to all....see some have posted pictures...some are very funny!

“Spring is here, ”

Level 7

Since: Sep 06

next comes summer! Yippee!!

#12 Dec 10, 2006
Grace Nerissa wrote:
Joke>
"My mother-in-law was bitten by an alsation recently'''' Dear Dear! and how is she now?''
'' Oh! she is fine, but the dog died!''
lol..
xxxxx

Painesville, OH

#13 Dec 10, 2006
My mother inlaw is shaped like a turtle if you would pick it up and exposed his tummy to you..
she has no neck and glassed and the charm of rosann
barr..

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#14 Dec 10, 2006
memyselfandIrene wrote:
I think just about every woman hates her mother-in-law. Reason being, most of their husband's are mama's boys so to speak. I have 3 sons and want them to be happy. I try not to meddle,(they would say different).
For those of us who had only sons, we know that when we get old we will never have anyone to help take care of us unless it is our grandkids. I try not to get too close to daughter-in-laws because of the interfering thing. But they don't try to get too close to me either. Never once has any of them ever asked me to shopping or out to eat with them. When it comes to presents at Christmas or any holiday, son's are told, it's your mother you get the gift!I always had to shop for my mother-in-law for holidays. I take care of my grandchildren alot tho,and as I mentioned in another forum, I even let ex daughter-in-law live in house we have.
I know that I was probably not a good daughter-in-law either and I regret that because both my husband's and my mother are gone now!
So all you mother-in-law haters out there, step back for a minute and know that someday the tables will turn and you will be the mother-in-law.
I think the real problem is that we love our children so much and don't want to see them hurt,that we might step over the line and do and say things that we really don't mean. When they are older, we can't just kiss their boo boos and make things better.
I used to point out to my wife that when we visited her mother across the country, she did and said the same things as my own mother. WHy, then, did she react differently to the same words and actions just because it was not her mother?

I also sometimes asked her, if she loved being around her parents so much, then why did she move clear across the country from them?

I never got any good answers to my questions .... but the silence meant I had made a point.
Sunshine State native

Idaho Falls, ID

#15 Dec 10, 2006
Hi Idaho resident - see you at playgroup Friday!

I tried everything when we met. Took her to dinner, attempted (but not too strongly) to get to know her, remembered her at Christmas, b-days, etc. Thought went into gifts, cards, etc. Asked her advice on things so she would feel needed although I didn't need it. Nothing worked!!

The problem is my MIL quit working when her kids were born, so now she has few friends and her total identity is from her kids. She grew up wealthy and all the snobbery started in her home from her mother. My husband became very successful and she ran around town whenever she visited bragging about him, spending money using his name, etc. She downright embarrassed him! She acts totally psycho anytime he tries to talk with her, gets angry, blaming, uses guilt trips, you name it. Thank god he's too strong to let it get to him too much. She puts down minorities and democrats every chance she gets and I got so sick of it but kept my mouth shut just to keep the peace!

Then when he met me it was the end of the world for her. She couldn't stand he fell in love with someone serious enough to propose. I did not come from high class family, was the wrong religion, wasn 't concerned with material items and shopping for the best as she was (she actually told these things to others!) I was supposed to be having cocktail parties, spending mega dollars decorating, wearing better clothing, etc. "He married down was all she told others." Never mind I had advanced college degrees, a good job, and had survived some pretty tough events in life growing up. I was and am proud of my parents and the struggles they dealt with raising us.

She is a total snob and so is her daughter who is a whole other pathetic story. We don't have a relationship with them anymore. My husband decided his happiness and marriage came before his family's pettiness and jealously, which I know I am lucky for. His dad disgusts me too, a total wimp who hides out at the computer and bows down to whatever the women in the family demand. If he only knew what they say about him behind his back!

Unfortunately our children will never really know their grandparents. But, my friends point out this is good. Do I really want my kids growing up learning their "values" and snobby, uptight behaviors? No I do not.

For any of you having this problem, I did find a good book to help me - "Toxic In-Laws" - I forget the author but it's well written about why some things happen and suggestions to handle it.

Thanks for letting me vent!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#16 Dec 10, 2006
Sunshine State native wrote:
Hi Idaho resident - see you at playgroup Friday!
I tried everything when we met. Took her to dinner, attempted (but not too strongly) to get to know her, remembered her at Christmas, b-days, etc. Thought went into gifts, cards, etc. Asked her advice on things so she would feel needed although I didn't need it. Nothing worked!!
The problem is my MIL quit working when her kids were born, so now she has few friends and her total identity is from her kids. She grew up wealthy and all the snobbery started in her home from her mother. My husband became very successful and she ran around town whenever she visited bragging about him, spending money using his name, etc. She downright embarrassed him! She acts totally psycho anytime he tries to talk with her, gets angry, blaming, uses guilt trips, you name it. Thank god he's too strong to let it get to him too much. She puts down minorities and democrats every chance she gets and I got so sick of it but kept my mouth shut just to keep the peace!
Then when he met me it was the end of the world for her. She couldn't stand he fell in love with someone serious enough to propose. I did not come from high class family, was the wrong religion, wasn 't concerned with material items and shopping for the best as she was (she actually told these things to others!) I was supposed to be having cocktail parties, spending mega dollars decorating, wearing better clothing, etc. "He married down was all she told others." Never mind I had advanced college degrees, a good job, and had survived some pretty tough events in life growing up. I was and am proud of my parents and the struggles they dealt with raising us.
She is a total snob and so is her daughter who is a whole other pathetic story. We don't have a relationship with them anymore. My husband decided his happiness and marriage came before his family's pettiness and jealously, which I know I am lucky for. His dad disgusts me too, a total wimp who hides out at the computer and bows down to whatever the women in the family demand. If he only knew what they say about him behind his back!
Unfortunately our children will never really know their grandparents. But, my friends point out this is good. Do I really want my kids growing up learning their "values" and snobby, uptight behaviors? No I do not.
For any of you having this problem, I did find a good book to help me - "Toxic In-Laws" - I forget the author but it's well written about why some things happen and suggestions to handle it.
Thanks for letting me vent!
I've heard of that book. A very good suggestion.

As for knowing the grandparents ... both my parents were born in EUrope so I only saw my grandparents a few times in my life adn I really wished i had known them better after all the stories my freinds told me.

I'm in the same situatin as you ... I only wnat my kids to see my wife's parents once in a while and hope none of them ever says anything bad about me to my kids. If I find out they did, then no more contact with grandparents.
Sunshine state native

Idaho Falls, ID

#17 Dec 10, 2006
It's a shame they'll have to miss out on their grandparents but I do agree with you on this - what if they say rotten things about you to your kids, how could you ever forgive them? I don't plan on saying terrible things about them when my kids get older but that doesn't mean they won't! She especially is known for her snide, underhand comments.

Here's my other fear - if - and that's a big if - the kids are mentioned in their will, I wouldn't put it past her to leave a letter in her will for my kids telling them what SOB's their father and I were, lots of lies, etc.

One of the books I read calls this "revenge from the grave". Let's hope someone above can help with payback if that ever happened! LOL

United States

#18 Dec 10, 2006
franko wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy to ignore if they don't live in the same state?
Mine lives clear across the country --- 5000 miles and still her influence reached me.
Actually, for many years I considered myself very lucky to have a pretty good mother in law and in-law family.
But when my wife's accident happened and it was time to decide who would manage her insurance settlement and basicaly decide how she would be taken care of, they threatened to take me to court if I tried to get that right, which I think should automatically go to the spouse.
SO, after 5 years from hell, and a clear indication that the person who was given that role over me was messing up, and the public trustee was booting her out, they did indeed take me to court to try to block me again ... thankfully I won but at this point in time I will probably never want to see any of my in-law family every again, even now that we've been divorced 2.5 years, which probably happened because of their interference..
I am sorry to hear all of that Franko. If I were in your shoes both of my in-laws would be exactly the same. The little in sight I gave you, all happened before I was married, 33 years ago, much has happened since then. They try to undermine me every which way I turn. Things came to a head earlier this year over me not paying enough attention to them at my daughters wedding. So I finally just said, adios, leave me alone, stay away. I had over 100 guest, caterers, etc. evening wedding, outdoors. They moved to our area 3 years ago, so its not like we haven't seen them, and I wasn't paying them enough attention...I just gave up trying to be nice. I have tried to keep in mind that my children would one day be treating us like they see us treat our parents, but it just got too hard, and they are grown now and can see things for themselves. Keep this in mind while raising your own, yours sound much younger than mine. In my parents words, "it all comes home to roost." lol

United States

#19 Dec 10, 2006
memyselfandIrene wrote:
I are one too!!! And I still dislike my mother in law. But I do keep it in mind.

“I see you! ”

Kansas City, Missouri

#20 Dec 10, 2006
Idaho resident wrote:
It's a thought isn't it.....lol

“I see you! ”

Kansas City, Missouri

#21 Dec 10, 2006
memyselfandIrene wrote:
Well I must say that you are one of the types of mother in laws that I would LOVE to have. My Mother in Law and I used to get along at the beginning. But she made a comment about my oldest son (who is my hubbies step son) and it REALLY pissed me off. She treats my oldest like my Step Grandmother treats me, and I don't like it at all! So to keep the peace with me and my hubby, I just don't speak to the woman. Even my hubby has told her that he has Two sons, not one. And she still acts the way that she does. So I will be sooooooooo glad when we move to Texas. Because then she won't be just right down the road anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lets Discuss Men (Dec '13) 8 min Lets kill Sam 826
Ohio Sam will Molest Boys 9 min Ferrerman 7
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min John K 142,909
Word Association (Mar '10) 10 min Zani Gray 16,425
I Believe __________________ ....... (Feb '11) 14 min Zani Gray 672
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 24 min Denny CranesPlace 17,629
Alphabetical ways to die (Jul '11) 28 min beatlesinafog 10,585
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 30 min Denny CranesPlace 38,554
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr Sublime 28,802
Why do YOU get on Topix? 1 hr 40ish 63