Should racist language be illegal and...

Should racist language be illegal and punishable by jail time?

Created by MoonDancing on Jun 13, 2013

11 votes

Click on an option to vote

Definately!!

Freedom of speech is dead.

A hefty fine will do, it'll help the eco.

Level 6

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Jun 13, 2013
<squirrel with padding and helmet>I never thought I'd play American football.

YES! It should be illegal. Can you imagine how many wars and fights that end in a morgue we would eliminate? Force people to have a little more self control!?

65007noogard

“Geaux Tigers!”

Level 9

Since: Jun 12

Down on the bayou

#2 Jun 13, 2013
As if we haven't become enough of a nanny state already. While we are at it lets make it illegal to not purchase insurance. Oops, never mind.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#5 Jun 13, 2013
I wish I had the article to post, sorry don't have it....but there are powerful people in the financial world who have suggested that in time anything you say online would affect your credit score or if you would be entitled to a loan.

Say anything anti-islamic, anti-gay etc etc....be labelled a bigot and there goes your credit score.

The article went on to say that this is not in the planning stages, but there are those around who think it might be a good idea.

Nuts if you ask me! It also shows how the powers that be want to control every aspect of your life.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#7 Jun 13, 2013
65007noogard wrote:
As if we haven't become enough of a nanny state already. While we are at it lets make it illegal to not purchase insurance. Oops, never mind.
Of course it is their God-given right to shoot my a$$ too after calling someone a ninny.

For more information on the above post, please visit our website at:

http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Level 9

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#8 Jun 13, 2013
Naturally Weird wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome to the Corporate States of America! Divvying power up amongst a few corporations does eliminate BIG GOVERNMENT. The GOP didn't say HOW they were going to shrink government- just that they would.
That's not what John says.

Level 6

Location hidden

#9 Jun 13, 2013
People have become very irresponsible with what they say. This perhaps was great when there was a moral compass that was only a few degrees off but now their isn't even a compass! People say what they want without consideration. There seems to be a lack of compassion and consideration for others in the logic of relativism mixed with a side of animosity.

For example: people yelling insults at gay soldiers funerals. Com'on, that's horrible. It's inhuman.

Level 8

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#10 Jun 13, 2013
I think we should concentrate on keeping child molesters and sexual predators in prison before we start discussing any punishable offenses by racists and bigots...just MHO

“If you're happy & you know it”

Level 7

Since: Feb 13

clap your hands!

#11 Jun 13, 2013
Lots of open ends with something like this...

Who would decide what's not acceptable to say? Who would be the judge of which words are acceptable and which words aren't and the appropriate punishment for each word? And as one word goes out of "style" and a new word takes it's place, who will keep track of that?

A black man can say the N word and 99% of blacks aren't offended but they are when 99% white people say it. Would it be ok for one race to use a word and not another? Who would determine that?

Then it opens doors to other things like swearing and such. Who would be in charge of all that? I think it's a bit out of hand to try to muffle someones right to speak their mind, whether it's offensive or not.

Level 9

Since: Nov 10

Powellton WV

#13 Jun 13, 2013
DaveMC wrote:
I think we should concentrate on keeping child molesters and sexual predators in prison before we start discussing any punishable offenses by racists and bigots...just MHO
Nice.....

flbadcatowner

“I call it as I see it.”

Level 8

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#14 Jun 13, 2013
As detestable as such language is, it should not by itself be grounds for fine and/or imprisonment. If racist language were used to incite a disturbance, then it might rise to the level of a crime, but not merely for speech content, rather that one could be arrested under disturbing the peace statutes or inciting a riot which are not constitutionally protected.

Level 6

Location hidden

#16 Jun 15, 2013
DaveMC wrote:
Did you read about too then?
The woman in New Jersey that got jail time for calling a bus driver the N word during an arguement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 8 min Gunslinger45 18,993
'Double Letter S' (Dec '12) 26 min Gunslinger45 1,801
conversation using song lyrics (Aug '13) 33 min wichita-rick 2,819
What ?? are you thinking about NOW? 2014 (Jun '14) 33 min Manuel 709
2words into 2new words (May '12) 41 min wichita-rick 9,400
News Uranus smells like farts and rotten eggs, accor... 49 min brooke 5
#Things You DON'T Want To Hear# (Aug '17) 54 min RachelsGonnaRach 755
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 230,165
News Three Weird Signs You Might Be Drinking Too Much 2 hr wichita-rick 6
WHo ARe YOu THinking ABout RIght NOw (Jul '13) 6 hr Nacho 1,154