Farmer shoots woman, mistaking her for groundhog

There are 20 comments on the WTLV story from May 9, 2014, titled Farmer shoots woman, mistaking her for groundhog. In it, WTLV reports that:

A 22-year-old woman is dead after a farmer mistakenly shot her thinking she was a groundhog in the tall grass.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTLV.

Fundieraiser Reprobate

Philadelphia, PA

#69 May 11, 2014
SLY WEST wrote:
<quoted text>
Move to Detroit or Chicago and then put a sign on your front yard announcing your anti- gun views, you'll get eaten alive. Keep your Harvard surveys and and opinions, I'll go with the facts of reality in my geographical location.
As predicted, tee baggrz will reject anything from an institution of higher learning, cannot understand what "statistics" means, substitute anecdote for data, and confuse one topic (where a person lives) with another (the statistical reality of having guns in the home.)

BTW, you don't live in Detroit, hysteric.

“Artifical intelligence is no”

Level 3

Since: Feb 13

match for natural stupidity

#70 May 11, 2014
Fundieraiser Reprobate wrote:
<quoted text>
As predicted, tee baggrz will reject anything from an institution of higher learning, cannot understand what "statistics" means, substitute anecdote for data, and confuse one topic (where a person lives) with another (the statistical reality of having guns in the home.)
BTW, you don't live in Detroit, hysteric.
Never said I lived in Detroit Ogre, live halfway between Detroit and Flint but nice defections shyt stirrer, you and your diluted opinions are dismissed.

“Artifical intelligence is no”

Level 3

Since: Feb 13

match for natural stupidity

#71 May 11, 2014
I should go into the kool aid business, fortune to be made.

“Hippie Single DAD, vet, Honest”

Level 6

Since: Apr 11

Steamboat Sprgs Colorado

#72 May 12, 2014
See you all are still pushing the walls out a bit(arguing) good job
highly educational .

I'll try to make sense? Oddly I agree with BOTH sides!
stats are stats,sure a safer "model" home without a gun.
BUT we already have millions of them in OUR homes ,WHAT NOW?
The newer generational thoughts or lack their of,on use of guns in another topic, the glamorization of them for many yrs brought us here.
Wars in many ways brought us here. BUT I am agreeing with both sides & I am a passionate gun owner,sportsman,BUT what can we do to curb future VIOLENCE , I DON'T see it as just gun play BUT as a more & more violent attitude ,then of course we always take the easiest way.
I also 100% believe or just should KNOW substance abuse plays a huge part in some of stats. WE are am abusive society & become more & more that way daily.
Is funny to me we promote it now more than ever & stay at war BUT have become so thin skinned ,a teacher can't even place a kid in time out ? & I can be shot right down the street for disrespecting some weak punk or even a manly man.
I don't know? I am a c.c.p. holder have posted legal stats here & other places before .
On topic I have no idea what this guy was doing,some missing parts to the story & maybe his head. Rick

“Taste great in milk!”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

#74 May 12, 2014
<quoted text>
"As predicted, tee baggrz".
Stereotypical racist.

“Taste great in milk!”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

#75 May 12, 2014
<quoted text>
" hysteric".
Huh??
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#76 May 12, 2014
_Baby Boy_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said I lived in Detroit Ogre, live halfway between Detroit and Flint but nice defections shyt stirrer, you and your diluted opinions are dismissed.
Numbnuts, anti rational tee baggrz like to mention "Detroit" or "Chicago" as some reason to have a gun.(Guns will not protect in dangerous places except in statistically unusual situations. People just aren't on the ready with their home defense weapons all the time...in a way which will not lead to even more than usual accidents or misuses. And guns when you're walking around worried about getting mugged are a non starter. This is just irrationality.)

I know you don't live in Detroit. That was the point: You invoke "living in Detroit" as a justification for having a gun...yet you don't live in Detroit.

See? That was the point I was making. I'm sure it's still too complex for the tee baggrz mind.
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#77 May 12, 2014
wichita-rick wrote:
BUT we already have millions of them in OUR homes ,WHAT NOW?
You are so clueless. First, the gun owners do not concede the _obvious_ point that you stated without understanding the point.

Those who do understand that the risks of having guns in the home outweigh those (largely imaginary) ones of not having guns in the home would - as rational actors - seek to reduce their risks and thus not have guns in the home.

But as the rest of your unhinged post shows, right wingers can't reason things like this out. They can't do statistics or data. They simply don't understand what they mean.
Officer Tackleberry

Medford, NY

#78 May 12, 2014
Not for nothing but this woman did indeed have very pronounced buck teeth.
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#79 May 12, 2014
Commander Bunny wrote:
<quoted text>Huh??
Oh poor victim, allow me to explain what is obvious.

"Hysteria" means "over dramatization."

The invocation of Detroit as some sort of war zone necessitating owning a gun came from someone who does not live in Detroit.

It's hysteria.

Now git ur hom skool teechur to hewlp u.

By the way, I never said anything about race. Many white people and many black people are very well educated. White fundies and tee baggrz are not - they live apart from information. They live in a universe of anti rational Fox talking points. So you can't even decode "tee baggrz" correctly.

Hey by the way, homes with guns are statistically less safe than homes without guns. I think your kind should therefore stock up on more guns and more beer and alcohol in your homes. That's the real gun control.
Instigator

Bridgeport, NY

#80 May 12, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Dude, a football field is 300 feet long. there are 3 ft in a yard, a football field is 100 yrds. 300 ft, he shot that woman in the head at little over 50 yrds. no it wouldn't, apparently his eyesight was good enough to have shot her in the head. so how poor could his eyesight have been? it is very clear cut to me, if you can see to shoot her in the head, then you would surly know it was a human head if you zeroed in on her head..
You're correct. I was thinking of yards even though the article clearly stated feet.

But even at a little over 50 yards, if all you see is a a little brown (the very top of her head) sticking up over the tall grass?

Like I said, too much we don't know. I'm just going off what was in the news clip. And of course, I'm just merely assuming that he wasn't a homicidal maniac. It seems to be what you and some others are eluding to...

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#81 May 12, 2014
Instigator wrote:
<quoted text>
You're correct. I was thinking of yards even though the article clearly stated feet.
But even at a little over 50 yards, if all you see is a a little brown (the very top of her head) sticking up over the tall grass?
Like I said, too much we don't know. I'm just going off what was in the news clip. And of course, I'm just merely assuming that he wasn't a homicidal maniac. It seems to be what you and some others are eluding to...
I am not eluding to anything other than the guy being careless. I have went groundhog hunting all my life, but I'll be dam if I ever saw one that looked like a females head. To have hit something at 55 yrds. In the head takes good eyesight and Aim, and for him to be that good of a shot and NOT be able to distinguish between the two, well it does raise questions, for me anyway..

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#82 May 12, 2014
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
"Hysteria" means "over dramatization."
Proclaimed the Queen of Hysteria.
Instigator

Bridgeport, NY

#83 May 12, 2014
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
But as the rest of your unhinged post shows, right wingers can't reason things like this out. They can't do statistics or data. They simply don't understand what they mean.
I don't claim to be right wing, but here are a few stats that I bet you won't be posting.

The homicide rate in England and Wales has averaged 52% higher since the outset of the 1968 gun control law and 15% higher since the outset of the 1997 handgun ban.

Since the outset of the Chicago handgun ban, the percentage of Chicago murders committed with handguns has averaged about 40% higher than it was before the law took effect.

In 2005, 96% of the firearm murder victims in Chicago were killed with handguns.

During the years in which the D.C. handgun ban and trigger lock law was in effect, the Washington, D.C. murder rate averaged 73% higher than it was at the outset of the law, while the U.S. murder rate averaged 11% lower.

Since the outset of the Florida right-to-carry law, the Florida murder rate has averaged 36% lower than it was before the law took effect.

Since the outset of the Texas right-to-carry law, the Texas murder rate has averaged 30% lower than it was before the law took effect.
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#84 May 12, 2014
Instigator wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't claim to be right wing, but here are a few stats
True to form gun nuts don't understand causality.

Uh, genius, to take one example, there could be some other factors in Chicago's gun violence than, say, trying to reduce the number of guns.....

Like the economy, disrespect for the police, family breakdown, drug dealer turf wars, oh, hundreds more.

There is virtually no evidence that increasing the number of guns in Chicago would somehow reduce all this violence, which is on the street.

On the other hand, we know any home with a gun is likely to be less safe than one without a gun. We know that.

Still, I think anti rational gun people should have lots of guns in their homes. And liquor, too. To get the job done quicker. Gun show safety demos along with either alcohol or extreme confusion will work, too.
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#85 May 12, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
Proclaimed the Queen of Hysteria.
Naturally you being a tee baggrz you avoided the point there.

The person posted that you need a gun because violence in Detroit is so bad.

He doesn't live in Detroit.

Therefore, by his own fractured logic, he doesn't need a gun.

You need to learn what words mean. Also statistics. You also need to drink too much and have guns in your home. Texting while driving is also indicated.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#86 May 12, 2014
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Naturally you being a tee baggrz you avoided the point there.
The person posted that you need a gun because violence in Detroit is so bad.
He doesn't live in Detroit.
Therefore, by his own fractured logic, he doesn't need a gun.
You need to learn what words mean. Also statistics. You also need to drink too much and have guns in your home. Texting while driving is also indicated.
Are those screams free, are do your johns have to pay extra for them?.
Instigator

Bridgeport, NY

#87 May 12, 2014
You wanted stats, so I provided a few.
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, genius, to take one example, there could be some other factors in Chicago's gun violence than, say, trying to reduce the number of guns.....
No $hit Sherlock, how's that working out BTW? According to the stats you obviously didn't like, not very well. One big factor right off the top of my head, is they took them right out of the hands of their own law abiding citizens.
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the economy, disrespect for the police, family breakdown, drug dealer turf wars, oh, hundreds more.
Pretty much describes the worst side of human nature, as I've mentioned before. Regardless of how you or I may live our lives, we can't control other peoples lives. There will always be people that are poor and want what you have, and will do what they have to to take it. There will always be drug dealers, people that disrespect police, because they represent law and order. You can't worry about the things you can't control. The best we can do is be prepared to the best of our abilities best a bad situation may arise.
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
There is virtually no evidence that increasing the number of guns in Chicago would somehow reduce all this violence, which is on the street.
No, but to most rational people... it's a forgone conclusion that if you give the LAW abiding citizens the ability to defend themselves then crime does go down. When you take away that right, then things like annoying statistics show people that criminals don't abide by the rules. Outlaw guns and only the outlaws will have them.. rings true every time. How many statistics do you need shown?
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
On the other hand, we know any home with a gun is likely to be less safe than one without a gun. We know that.

True, but what are stats when considering the law abiding citizens home? Especially those that were trained to use firearms responsibly. What you don't mention are the leading causes of accidental deaths in a household which are: Falls, poisonings, fires, suffocating and choking,drowning in the exact order..
Christsharia Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Still, I think anti rational gun people should have lots of guns in their homes. And liquor, too. To get the job done quicker. Gun show safety demos along with either alcohol or extreme confusion will work, too.
This.. just shows your class in a nutshell. Why ever would you wish physical harm on others that may disagree with your views? You didn't have a happy childhood, did you? Someone needs a hug...
Instigator

Bridgeport, NY

#88 May 12, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I am not eluding to anything other than the guy being careless. I have went groundhog hunting all my life, but I'll be dam if I ever saw one that looked like a females head. To have hit something at 55 yrds. In the head takes good eyesight and Aim, and for him to be that good of a shot and NOT be able to distinguish between the two, well it does raise questions, for me anyway..
It does raise questions, I'm in agreement on that. For one, I'd be curious if there was any trouble between the families in the past? Does the old man have a criminal record, especially using a firearm?

And I agree with you on at least the good eyesight part. But in all honesty how many nearly 80year olds have you seen that didn't wear glasses?

It seems as if you're a fellow with some common sense,as well as experienced with firearms. I'm wagering that no matter of our hypothesis on the matter, we probably agree that he shouldn't have taken the shot if he he wasn't absolutely sure what he was aiming at. If it IS exactly as the story describes, he has to be devastated that he took the life of the poor girl.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#89 May 12, 2014
It's like taking about a BBQ with a vegan...

hilarious..!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 1 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,424
GMGMike's Bar And Grill (Jan '10) 3 min liam cul8r 20,412
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 9 min pusherman_ 911
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 14 min I Am No One_ 161,888
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... 21 min I Am No One_ 827
A six word game (Dec '08) 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 18,318
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 41,548
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr HaHaHa 40,310
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 hr Papa Smurfaletto 10,954
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 7 hr -CatCiao- 8,278
News Study: Beards are filled with poop and 'as dirt... 8 hr Spotted Girl 16
More from around the web