TX Mom Letting Kids Play Outside is Arrested, Charged with Child Endangerment

Sep 22, 2012 Full story: WKXW-FM Trenton 425

Tammy Cooper and her husband moved to their house on a cul-de-sac in a quiet La Porte, Texas neighborhood so they would have a safe place for their nine and six-year-old children to grow up.

Full Story

“it's just craic”

Level 6

Since: Jan 09

Charlevoix, MI

#158 Sep 23, 2012
i stand corrected

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#159 Sep 23, 2012
It would be nice to hear the other side of the story. Frequently children shoot out in front of my car on bicycles or skateboards. Luckily I normally drive like an animal is about to run out in front of my car. Hate to ask, but who was watching the kids after she was arrested. Did the officer consider this? Was CPS called,did they try to contact the father, or did they leave them playing in the street. This surprises me for La Porte police management, but not for some of their officer. Our average officer is okay, but we seem to have a higher than normal number of over zealous officers that are on a power trip. Even for an over zealous officer, this story just doesn't compute.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#161 Sep 24, 2012
no name wrote:
I live in La Porte, Texas, that being said, I am not at all suprised at the behavior of the officer, with the LPPD. Typical behavior of this department. If you would peruse our local crime reports, you will find that often here, people go to jail for riding bikes without a light, walking the wrong way on a residential street, etc. A lot of our officers are confused, I believe, they think they are the law and not "to uphold the law, protect and serve" We have had maybe 6 murders in the last 10 years, and I think maybe 2 have been solved.
Heck, I remember one time when I was a teenager, leaving from a babysitting job a couple of blocks from home, the officer gave me a ride and said be safe. But I did grow up a yankee, and believed that police were helpful, and caring. La Porte's PD as I see them are a lot of 5'5" 120 pounders with little law enforcement knowledge. Guess the times have changed, in La Porte, I don't see signs of preventative interaction, only reaction, and I have seen them incite or instigate hostility so they can retaliate.
Good point No N. I grew up in a very rural part of CT, where we played outside everyday, wandering into the woods, bicycling as far as our legs would take us, playing in the lakes and streams nearby, hunting, fishing, etc. without the least bit of supervison. My Mother and Father were both very caring, and had all the reason to worry about their kids, but gave us the freedom we needed. I too grew up in a land where we trusted Police Officers, and respected the law.(My father was a CT. State Trooper). When I read stories about incompetent law enforcement it angers me, but the real fail here is that the woman spent 18 hours in a holding cell. Totally uncalled for. Imagine the anguish that left her children with.

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

La Porte, TX

#162 Sep 24, 2012
I wish Paul Harvey was still with us! We would certainly get THE REST OF THE STORY!!!

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Level 1

www.HeavyFed.com

#163 Sep 24, 2012
Norma E wrote:
I wish Paul Harvey was still with us! We would certainly get THE REST OF THE STORY!!!
I am sorry everyone, Norma here is the local "wanna-be". She attends the Citizen Police Academies in La Porte... and she is always backing the powers that be without question.

Norma, there is no REST OF THE STORY!!!

A police officer trained by Chief Adcox made a serious mistake based on that that training.

The police officer and Chief Adcox both need to go.

www.HeavyFed.com
Mommy bear

Houston, TX

#164 Sep 25, 2012
This happened late in the evening, it had been dark for awhile. One of the kids was said to be laying the street playing dead. The other ran into the neighbors car. She supposedly didn't know f she hit one or both of them. I heard she ran to the mothers door when the kid then the kid wa up an laughing. I heard 911 had already been called and the neighbors then cops knocked for ten minutes before the mom came outside.

“it's just craic”

Level 6

Charlevoix, MI

#165 Sep 25, 2012
Heavy Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry everyone, Norma here is the local "wanna-be". She attends the Citizen Police Academies in La Porte... and she is always backing the powers that be without question.
Norma, there is no REST OF THE STORY!!!
A police officer trained by Chief Adcox made a serious mistake based on that that training.
The police officer and Chief Adcox both need to go.
www.HeavyFed.com
knew it

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/weird/T60CD25...

why else would would he arrived with the intent to arrest
NopeButGoodTry

Houston, TX

#166 Sep 26, 2012
These were little electric scooters (Razors). Virtually silent, so that wasn't it. However, I wouldn't be surprised to learn there was bad blood between these neighbors long before this incident.
GOTP

La Porte, TX

#167 Sep 26, 2012
Mommy bear wrote:
This happened late in the evening, it had been dark for awhile. One of the kids was said to be laying the street playing dead. The other ran into the neighbors car. She supposedly didn't know f she hit one or both of them. I heard she ran to the mothers door when the kid then the kid wa up an laughing. I heard 911 had already been called and the neighbors then cops knocked for ten minutes before the mom came outside.
LOL! You must be the one that called.

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

Waterford, MI

#168 Sep 26, 2012
Mommy bear wrote:
Then why did the mom win the criminal case?
SMFH

Houston, TX

#169 Sep 26, 2012
You have stupid-ass crap like this being called in, and inforced, yet our glorious LPPD can't even arrest a known crack-head, who is disturbing the peace and beating the hell out of his girlfriend everyday.
Where I'm from, the officers would have told the caller to watch after their own kids, and maybe would have done a welfare check of the children; there would've been an arrest, that is for sure.
On the other hand, if some guy is stoned out of his mind, raising hell and threatening everyone and everything around him, they would have dragged his ass out of the house, cuffed & stuffed him, asking questions later.
This is one backward-ass city, for sure!

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#170 Sep 26, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why did the mom win the criminal case?
she didn't go to trial , the charges were dropped

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

Since: May 07

London, England

#171 Sep 26, 2012
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
she didn't go to trial , the charges were dropped
Rightfully dropped out of civic embarrassment from Media attention.
Butt is she going to drop her suit, that is the question:)
SMFH

Houston, TX

#172 Sep 26, 2012
reza june wrote:
<quoted text>
She should sue them for their lack of insight, and then sue whoever reported it. That would send a wave through the department, for sure.
GOTP

La Porte, TX

#173 Sep 26, 2012
reza june wrote:
<quoted text>

I have no problem with tens of thousands of tax dollars going to this woman and I hope she wins and wins big. And, the woman that hates her should be sued for whatever she can be sued for as well. All of this is because the caller was pissed off because the woman arrested dared to ask the caller to clean up her own dog's poop from her yard. Good thing I don't do this every time my neighbors bring their dogs to poop in my yard. I have new carpet and my kids drag in the neighbor's dog poop from our own front yard, on their shoes.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#174 Sep 26, 2012
reza june wrote:
<quoted text>
no , but she may not win ... the police have to answer the call
and children you error for the sake of the child ...

but there is a second side of a story ,

the DA office drops charges because he feels that he can not convict

“it's just craic”

Level 6

Charlevoix, MI

#175 Sep 26, 2012
some people never saw a cop they didn't like

Since: Sep 12

Pasadena, TX

#176 Sep 26, 2012
You guys are making a crappy, careless , sorry excuse for a mother famous ! She is crazy everyone knows that it's apparent every time she speaks... And next time someone threatens you or hits your car don't call the police handle it yourself because apparently you have no faith in our police department. Its amazing that our boys in blue have to put up with the worst that society has to offer every day and you people have the audacity to make it worse by bashing them on here. If they are so bad why don't you move to a country without law enforcement and just take care of yourself and your family??? This city isn't backwards its you sorry A people with no moral or respect , and that is for sure!!!!

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#177 Sep 26, 2012
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
some people never saw a cop they didn't like
Some people never saw a cop they did like.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#178 Sep 26, 2012
hum,,,,,,, remember when I had an attack . a detective on his way to work , stopped, stood in the rain and held an umbrella over me , he stood in the rain ,till ETMs came

I also remember when someone hit and ran my car [which was parked] and the police got the guy about a 1 1/2 mi away

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
blame it on....??? (Aug '13) 4 min SLY WEST 29
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min TurkanaBoy 128,029
Ferguson Grand Jury Reaches Decision 7 min Match Dot Com 501
How's your weather today? (Mar '12) 10 min whatimeisit 5,093
Bill Cosby 13 min NinaRocks 268
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 23 min SLY WEST 7,192
ozzie = pie? (Nov '13) 24 min Yes 19
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 47 min wichita-rick 24,062
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 151,192
Internal Server Errors 3 hr TALLYHO 8541 40