'Frankenburger' Has Now Been Cooked, ...

'Frankenburger' Has Now Been Cooked, Served

There are 31 comments on the WSRZ story from Aug 5, 2013, titled 'Frankenburger' Has Now Been Cooked, Served. In it, WSRZ reports that:

The $330,000 "Frankenburger" was cooked and eaten at a London press conference today, and it turns out we have Sergey Brin to thank for the blessed event.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSRZ.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I looked, and behold,”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#22 Aug 6, 2013
ShirleyUjest wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, really.(lol) Something about the word tissue just struck me off.
It's all tissue. Hamburger is fat tissue and muscle tissue. I think hamburger meat will be easier to make in a lab than say something like a steak, but eventually, if they can grow organs, why can't they grow a complete muscle like you would find on an animal and make steak out of it.
ShirleyUjest wrote:
<quoted text>Now y'all mentioned transplant organ stuff.
Yes, they are doing that now in a limited way. They grew a human ear on a mouse.
I think skin for burn victims has been grown in a Petri dish. A plastic form or mold was used to shape a new face reconstruction for the guy who was electrocuted or that lady chewed up by the ape.
Used the patients own cells.
Yes, this all will be pretty normal everyday stuff in the not too distant future.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#23 Aug 7, 2013
Meanwhile, cows are aplauding.
Waseem

Mumbai, India

#24 Aug 7, 2013
Love

“He said What?!”

Level 5

Since: Feb 10

No Way! LOL

#25 Aug 25, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all tissue. Hamburger is fat tissue and muscle tissue. I think hamburger meat will be easier to make in a lab than say something like a steak, but eventually, if they can grow organs, why can't they grow a complete muscle like you would find on an animal and make steak out of it.
<quoted text>
Yes, this all will be pretty normal everyday stuff in the not too distant future.
Good evening. Thought you might find this interesting.
3D printing with stem cells could lead to printable organs
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57567789-...
A potentially breakthrough 3D-printing process using human stem cells could be the precursor to printing organs from a patient's own cells.
,,,,,,,,,,
So far, bio-printing has been applied to build three-dimensional tissues and organ structures of specific architecture and functionality for purposes of regenerative medicine. Here we propose to adapt this technology to building meat products for consumption. The technology has several advantages in comparison to earlier attempts to engineer meat in vitro. The bio-ink particles can be reproducibly prepared with mixtures of cells of different type... Printing ensures consistent shape, while post-printing structure formation and maturation in the bioreactor facilitates conditioning... We anticipate that this Phase I application will result in a macroscopic size (~2 cm x 1 cm x 0.5 mm) edible prototype and will demonstrate that bio-printing-based in vitro meat production is feasible, economically viable and environmentally practical. Successful in vitro meat engineering addresses a number of societal needs, thus the commercialization of the method has high market potential.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57493377-76...
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#26 Aug 25, 2013
its just a Federation food replicator, basically

“He said What?!”

Level 5

Since: Feb 10

No Way! LOL

#27 Aug 25, 2013
SLACK wrote:
its just a Federation food replicator, basically
:-D)) Lol... Eggsactly!

“I looked, and behold,”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#28 Aug 26, 2013
ShirleyUjest wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening. Thought you might find this interesting.
3D printing with stem cells could lead to printable organs
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57567789-...
A potentially breakthrough 3D-printing process using human stem cells could be the precursor to printing organs from a patient's own cells.
,,,,,,,,,,
So far, bio-printing has been applied to build three-dimensional tissues and organ structures of specific architecture and functionality for purposes of regenerative medicine. Here we propose to adapt this technology to building meat products for consumption. The technology has several advantages in comparison to earlier attempts to engineer meat in vitro. The bio-ink particles can be reproducibly prepared with mixtures of cells of different type... Printing ensures consistent shape, while post-printing structure formation and maturation in the bioreactor facilitates conditioning... We anticipate that this Phase I application will result in a macroscopic size (~2 cm x 1 cm x 0.5 mm) edible prototype and will demonstrate that bio-printing-based in vitro meat production is feasible, economically viable and environmentally practical. Successful in vitro meat engineering addresses a number of societal needs, thus the commercialization of the method has high market potential.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57493377-76...
Thanks for sharing. That's very interesting. 3d printing sounds like the way to go.

I think the cost savings alone will make this inevitable. It will be much cheaper to grow the meat than to grow an entire cow. The benefits to the environment will be significant too, but that's just the icing on the cake.

“He said What?!”

Level 5

Since: Feb 10

No Way! LOL

#29 Aug 27, 2013
SLACK wrote:
its just a Federation food replicator, basically
And there it is!
Star Trek Replicator to Become a Reality on ISS

Full story: WFXJ-AM Jacksonville

Delivering supplies to astronauts in space is kinda tricky. So NASA is sending a 3-D printer to the International Space Station next year, to test whether the technology can work in microgravity.

Wow!
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#30 Aug 27, 2013
ShirleyUjest wrote:
<quoted text>And there it is!
Star Trek Replicator to Become a Reality on ISS
Full story: WFXJ-AM Jacksonville
Delivering supplies to astronauts in space is kinda tricky. So NASA is sending a 3-D printer to the International Space Station next year, to test whether the technology can work in microgravity.
Wow!
well thats just dumb

artificial gravity fixes that problem as well as many others

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

South Bend, IN

#31 Aug 27, 2013
Mmmm, print me a hot ham and cheese sammich out of plastic. Sure.
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#32 Aug 27, 2013
Uh Clem wrote:
Mmmm, print me a hot ham and cheese sammich out of plastic. Sure.
go back to your flat world clown

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Dogen 221,949
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 min Rosa 220,798
Let's Play Song Titles With Only Three Words,... (Dec '13) 7 min Judy 123 608
Let's Play Songs With Four Words,... (Jul '15) 12 min Judy 123 105
A to Z songs by title or group! (Dec '16) 12 min CJ Rocker 2,136
Let's Play Songs With Five Words,... (Jul '15) 17 min Judy 123 27
Let's Play Song Titles With Six Words,... (Jul '15) 22 min Judy 123 25
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 42 min F_R_E_D 24,014
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Princess Hey 4,624
Which Poster Are You Thinking About Right Now? 1 hr 5th Row Centre 22
More from around the web