Congress is now Mostly a Millionaires...

Congress is now Mostly a Millionaires Club

Posted in the Weird Forum

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Hoosierville

#1 Jan 10, 2014
Job Creators

Buffalo, NY

#2 Jan 10, 2014
I thought millionaires were good guys? The job creators? That's a good thing? Aint it Hoosier? If they're in congress it's win-win. The job creators make jobs, control us, the working folk, and they look out for our best interest all at the same time.

Whats your beef Hoosier?

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#4 Jan 10, 2014
In other news, the sky is blue...

When our nation was first founded, it was a much simpler time. You could be a small tobacco farmer and be in Congress, just fine.

Laws are so complex now ... the government is so big now ... its reach is far more omnipresent. Look at financial regulation ... there are so many moving parts to take into account. You need sophisticated and educated folks in the legislature. These folks are going to tend to be more wealthy than the average person.

I heard a story on NPR about how many of our financial laws are written by the financial industry itself ... part of the problem is so few in Congress understand the system they are trying to regulate. It's so complex ... so many moving parts ... you probably have to be in that industry for a long time and at a high level to even come close to understanding it. That's a tough task for a person in Congress.

Now extrapolate that phenomena across a range of industries and areas federal laws touch? How many areas can you possibly be an expert in? How long does it take to acquire this expertise?

The complicated nature of systems regulated by the Fed government and regulations, in part weighs against term limits as well, as nice as they sound to the common man. There is something to be said for experience.

Throw in the costs of running for office ... you need to know movers and shakers ... folks who can give you lots of cash to run a campaign and it should come as now surprise that most politicians are well off.

Even if you aren't in that circle and you are one of the few who somehow does get elected in more grass roots fashion, before long become one of those people by virtue of the power and influence you have.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 10, 2014
House of 'representatives' -- my ass.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#6 Jan 10, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
In other news, the sky is blue...
When our nation was first founded, it was a much simpler time. You could be a small tobacco farmer and be in Congress, just fine.
Laws are so complex now ... the government is so big now ... its reach is far more omnipresent. Look at financial regulation ... there are so many moving parts to take into account. You need sophisticated and educated folks in the legislature. These folks are going to tend to be more wealthy than the average person.
I heard a story on NPR about how many of our financial laws are written by the financial industry itself ... part of the problem is so few in Congress understand the system they are trying to regulate. It's so complex ... so many moving parts ... you probably have to be in that industry for a long time and at a high level to even come close to understanding it. That's a tough task for a person in Congress.
Now extrapolate that phenomena across a range of industries and areas federal laws touch? How many areas can you possibly be an expert in? How long does it take to acquire this expertise?
The complicated nature of systems regulated by the Fed government and regulations, in part weighs against term limits as well, as nice as they sound to the common man. There is something to be said for experience.
Throw in the costs of running for office ... you need to know movers and shakers ... folks who can give you lots of cash to run a campaign and it should come as now surprise that most politicians are well off.
Even if you aren't in that circle and you are one of the few who somehow does get elected in more grass roots fashion, before long become one of those people by virtue of the power and influence you have.
Agreed! The Federal government is way too large, it's reach way to far, and it's laws and regulations out of control. Yep the Federal government is surely a rogue element that has overstepped it's boundaries for far to long.

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Hoosierville

#7 Jan 10, 2014
Sublime1, again I totally agree with you, if I can say your insight into politics and government is astounding!
You said: " You could be a small tobacco farmer" and that's where I started out, not that I've made a lot of headway, but everybody has to
start somewhere and it gave me a 'solid' base as a farmer seeing what was happening to 'us' an others to be a conservative independent
individual with my own ideas and philosophy!

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#8 Jan 11, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed! The Federal government is way too large, it's reach way to far, and it's laws and regulations out of control. Yep the Federal government is surely a rogue element that has overstepped it's boundaries for far to long.
I agree with the general premise, but I think it's hard to make blanket statements. There are certain areas that need to be regulated ... the financial industry for one. It should not exist simply to make millionaires even more wealthy. It should be used to spur investment and growth and opportunity for the nation as a whole. If left to its own devices it is subject to much abuse.

Environmental laws have their place. Food safety has its place.

How much regulation is a completely different question. With the government it becomes a slippery slope in terms of how much regulation and oversight you need. Over time you have the accumulation of laws (because that's what legislators do ... pass laws) and sometimes you need to wipe the slate clean and start all over again. The tax code is a good example of this. Things are so partisan that it is hard to do.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#9 Jan 11, 2014
Hoosier Hillbilly wrote:
Sublime1, again I totally agree with you, if I can say your insight into politics and government is astounding!
You said: " You could be a small tobacco farmer" and that's where I started out, not that I've made a lot of headway, but everybody has to
start somewhere and it gave me a 'solid' base as a farmer seeing what was happening to 'us' an others to be a conservative independent
individual with my own ideas and philosophy!
You give me too much praise, but thanks.

Farming is a very good trade. I have a lot of respect for farmers.

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Hoosierville

#11 Jan 12, 2014
If the punishment fit the crime 'we' wouldn't have near as much crime!
=an eye for an eye!=
(IMO) It's been proven over & over child molesters if given the chance do it over & over so put them before the firing squad 1st time or call 'me'
I'll do it!
*=* No comment on farming-my opinion has changed *=*
Big farmers and the government put me out of business and it [use-to-be] a good life, I agree!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#12 Jan 12, 2014
GO FIGURE!!

WHAT they Tend to Forget.. IS THAT..We Taxpayers are PAYING their salary!!

But, even with THAT said.Am sure they get HANDOUTSr from Top Notch Corporations..JUST BECAUSE...

So, BY..NOT passing THIS ..BILL or THAT..to help the American Citizens..THEY....

Could care LESS..WHY..?..

Their pockets ALL have SILVER LININGS!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 5 min Spotted Girl 2,635
News new NYPD: Man stuffed bag of feces in woman's p... 6 min Spotted Girl 9
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 6 min Northbound 32,430
News new Are Disney Princesses hurting your kid's se... 8 min Spotted Girl 49
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 9 min Crystal_Clear722 7,407
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 15 min Bezeer 7,433
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 16 min illi bishop 18,055
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 23 min Northbound 193,004
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Crystal_Clear722 56,903
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 2 hr Red_Forman 145,504
human sexuality topic ? 2 hr Easyoungemma 5
More from around the web