Jellyfish wave shuts down Swedish nuke reactor

Oct 1, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KBCI CBS 2

It wasn't a tsunami but it had the same effect: A wave of jellyfish was huge enough to force one of the world's largest nuclear reactors to shut down - a phenomenon that marine biologists say could become more common.

Comments
21 - 35 of 35 Comments Last updated Oct 12, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Can't we just scoop them all up and drop them on Pakistan or Syria?
B-long

Eureka, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

DILF wrote:
Can't we just scoop them all up and drop them on Pakistan or Syria?
They're probably a delicacy over there..

“Gone Fishin', bye!”

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

.......┬┐.......

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

Bet that's what makes the cute little boogers glow in the dark, makes perfect sense.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem I have with this piece is that they are trying to link jellyfish which caused a shutdown of the plant to Fukushima. It seems very deliberate and the purpose is scare people. Lets take a comparative look.
Fukushima- magnitude 9.0 earthquake of the coast Reactors scram as designed to do power plants begin shutdown process. The earthquake causes a massive earth slide in the sea which results in the resulting 45 foot Tsunami that inundates the entire eastern coast of japan. The Tsunami wall at Fukushima Diachi is breached and it destroys the diesel generators and the plants AC power sources. Eventually the batteries used to keep the stem line open to circulate Torus cooling water dies and the result is a meltdown.
Sweden- Jellyfish clog the intakes reducing flow for secondary cooling causing the reactor to scram (it is worth noting in the article they called it "scramble" not even willing to determine if the correct terminology is used) the staff shut the reactor down and clear the intakes and prepare the reactor for start up. No damage no anything and before the naysayers say it could stop because it couldn't. This same phenomenon (jellyfish) causes shutdowns of all sorts of power plants (coal, oil, gas) which are located near large bodies of water for cooling purposes and we never hear about them shutting down for this reason, why not?
By the way the other two nuclear units at this site continued operation during the jellyfish invasion as there combined thermal output is less than unit 3 alone.
Okay, I didn't catch the part where they are linking jellyfish to the shutdown of Fukushima. Had I of, chances are I would not have brought the article here. As we all know, the earthquake itself was the cause.

I was putting jellyfish swarms with earthquakes. I must admit this is a very new theory of mine and a half ass botched hypothesis. As I haven't had time to really study the two and putting them solid together. My mistake all the way around.

I found another article. Am putting it here until I myself have time to read it over. Since seems I started this madness.
http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2011/02/26/giant...

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

...because jamfish don't shake like that.

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

As long as it hasn't slowed the production of Swedish fish or Swedish Erotica then I'm OK with it.
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

dad of 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, instead of shark week... jellyfish week! And then, jellyfish-nado [the movie]
Yesyesyes!!!!....just imagine how far the tentacles could spread!!!!!!!!!! Peach&Rasberry jelly? Jello Biafra for President!!!!!
Dan

Upton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

DC tells it like it is wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I didn't catch the part where they are linking jellyfish to the shutdown of Fukushima. Had I of, chances are I would not have brought the article here. As we all know, the earthquake itself was the cause.
I was putting jellyfish swarms with earthquakes. I must admit this is a very new theory of mine and a half ass botched hypothesis. As I haven't had time to really study the two and putting them solid together. My mistake all the way around.
I found another article. Am putting it here until I myself have time to read it over. Since seems I started this madness.
http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2011/02/26/giant...
That is my point exactly, jelly fish did not shutdown Fukushima.
From the article "It wasn't a tsunami but it had the same effect: A wave of jellyfish was huge enough to force one of the world's largest nuclear reactors to shut down - a phenomenon that marine biologists say could become more common." First of all the Tsunami did not cause the Fukushima plant to shutdown the earthquake did because seismic sensors in the plant are designed to scram the reactor at a predefined level of vibration. The Tsunami was responsible for the eventual meltdowns and Hydrogen explosions.
Now when you ask people what was the effect of the Tsunami on Fukushima they say meltdown and explosion along with release of large amounts of radioactivity to the environment. That is not what happened here so it did not have the same effect.
Second from the article "All three Oskharshamn reactors are boiling-water types, the same technology at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi plant that suffered a catastrophic failure in 2011 after a tsunami breached the facility's walls and flooded its equipment."
What does this have to do with anything as to why the plant shutdown? So what the reactor was a BWR so are more than half of all power reactors in the world they did not compare the Oskharshamn plants to any other BWR only to Fukushima, why? One of two answers come to mind either this journalist figures if I mention Fukushima it will automatically get coverage or it is for fear mongering. Either way it is shoddy at best.
As far as the increase in jellyfish populations I can't way in on that but have seen that in areas where their natural predators (sea turtles and certain fish species) have declined the jellyfish populations are increasing. There certainly appears to be some link in cause and effect.

Since: Apr 13

Scappoose, Oregon USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

dad of 3 wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, instead of shark week... jellyfish week! And then, jellyfish-nado [the movie]
Oh that is just too funny! An all too fertile imagination could really run wild with that. How about a movie like "Jaws" or giant jellyfish attack you from below? They would envelop you and then people in the boat could look down and see your dead body inside the transparent jellyfish as it slowly digests you. And they could play off the Japanese reactor accident and have them all be radioactive giant jellyfish!

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
That is my point exactly, jelly fish did not shutdown Fukushima.
From the article "It wasn't a tsunami but it had the same effect: A wave of jellyfish was huge enough to force one of the world's largest nuclear reactors to shut down - a phenomenon that marine biologists say could become more common." First of all the Tsunami did not cause the Fukushima plant to shutdown the earthquake did because seismic sensors in the plant are designed to scram the reactor at a predefined level of vibration. The Tsunami was responsible for the eventual meltdowns and Hydrogen explosions.
Now when you ask people what was the effect of the Tsunami on Fukushima they say meltdown and explosion along with release of large amounts of radioactivity to the environment. That is not what happened here so it did not have the same effect.
Second from the article "All three Oskharshamn reactors are boiling-water types, the same technology at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi plant that suffered a catastrophic failure in 2011 after a tsunami breached the facility's walls and flooded its equipment."
What does this have to do with anything as to why the plant shutdown? So what the reactor was a BWR so are more than half of all power reactors in the world they did not compare the Oskharshamn plants to any other BWR only to Fukushima, why? One of two answers come to mind either this journalist figures if I mention Fukushima it will automatically get coverage or it is for fear mongering. Either way it is shoddy at best.
As far as the increase in jellyfish populations I can't way in on that but have seen that in areas where their natural predators (sea turtles and certain fish species) have declined the jellyfish populations are increasing. There certainly appears to be some link in cause and effect.
I get what you are saying. My bad again. As I am not into fear mongering. Of course unless you wish to discus a flu pandemic and even that is getting screwed up.

The one thing would like to state about Japan and their building anything below the point of warning, let alone Fukushima was completely stupid on their behalf. There is a rock at the top of the hill overlooking the towns with a warning not to build.

Here is one article I found:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13792...

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Level 3

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

SLY WEST wrote:
Bet that's what makes the cute little boogers glow in the dark, makes perfect sense.
I like that one.

Have a nice day: Ag
Dan

Upton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

DC tells it like it is wrote:
<quoted text>
I get what you are saying. My bad again. As I am not into fear mongering. Of course unless you wish to discus a flu pandemic and even that is getting screwed up.
The one thing would like to state about Japan and their building anything below the point of warning, let alone Fukushima was completely stupid on their behalf. There is a rock at the top of the hill overlooking the towns with a warning not to build.
Here is one article I found:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13792...
I agree, the natural phenomena should be taken into account when building and unfortunately this area of the Pacific is susceptible to large earthquakes at Sea that result in Tsunami's. Even though they had a Tsunami wall it was not sufficient for the wave that came ashore. If the plant was built on higher ground and the water pumped to the station this may not have occurred.

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

"Swedish Jellyfish Wave" would be a great name for a punk rock group.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Level 3

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Billy R wrote:
"Swedish Jellyfish Wave" would be a great name for a punk rock group.
How about a punk rock version of the B52's "Rock lobster" as a 1st off cover single then?
Remember to put in the female backing vocal sound effects as in the original.

Have a nice day: Ag
halal

Str÷mstad, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

stupid vile creatures of the sea!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••