Regular customer of Heart Attack Grill dies of heart attack

Feb 12, 2013 Full story: WBIR-TV Knoxville 44

A daily customer and unofficial mascot for the Heart Attack Grill, a Las Vegas diner infamous for its calorie-laden menu and waitresses in nurse garb, has died of an apparent heart attack, the latest in a string of incidents that evoke the restaurant's ominous name.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#42 Feb 15, 2013
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
It is sad. Some even continue to smoke through a stroma (ventilator hole). They may have lost their larynx and/or other parts of the throat and they still smoke.
WOW! sobering!!!

Jeez! you are right,
it's nothing short of mind numbing, I agree..

I was trying my best to see 'behind' it.. so to speak..
trying to see what drives a person THAT far.

Is it 'brain washing'- the need to STILL smoke
at ALL costs.. is it frustration?

is it 'habit' so deep rooted, NOTHING can change it.

Is it the final defiance???

WHO knows.

I have come to the conclusion
one has to be 'there' ie> riddled with cancer
in order to fully realise where the person is 'at':

“Stop libel and bullying.”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#43 Feb 15, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! sobering!!!
Jeez! you are right,
it's nothing short of mind numbing, I agree..
I was trying my best to see 'behind' it.. so to speak..
trying to see what drives a person THAT far.
Is it 'brain washing'- the need to STILL smoke
at ALL costs.. is it frustration?
is it 'habit' so deep rooted, NOTHING can change it.
Is it the final defiance???
WHO knows.
I have come to the conclusion
one has to be 'there' ie> riddled with cancer
in order to fully realise where the person is 'at':
Hi! Not sure about the brainwashing per se. Maybe that is what started it, the peer pressure, the need to be "cool," the need to rebel or whatever. But it becomes an ingrained habit with time, and an addiction. If you use any mind-altering substance long enough, the neurotransmitters and synapses in the brain adjust to the new "normal." So the body pretty much has to have the substance to have normal brain chemistry.

That is why even SSRI drugs for depression have withdrawal effects. The first 2-3 weeks you take them, you feel like a zombie and drowsy, but then that passes, but the desired effects may diminish too. Then when you decide it isn't helping or you don't need it, you might have a couple of weeks of other symptoms. The brain sees the antidepressants as extreme and adjust the brain to make up for it.

Alcohol works similarly. If you can get to a point where you can function while drinking, then it will be too dangerous to quit all at once, and without someone helping force you to taper off, you probably won't get detoxed without medical intervention in a facility. But some have quit on their own, but it takes strength of willpower when you have the shakes to drink just enough to reduce the shakes and avoid blacking out. You know you have a drinking problem when you need a drinking straw or someone else to hold the drink. Usually, from the professional standpoint, it is a two step process. You have to quit get over the physical dependency first (detox center) and then go to a treatment center. The one only gets the person off the alcohol, but without the second step, they will most likely be right back on it.

As for the final defiance, I tend to agree. So many may have domineering parents and domineering spouses, that they are so willing to harm themselves just to get to do one thing their own way for a change. Similar was eating disorders. Some have domineering parents ("Don't play with your food our you'll go without." "You have to eat that or I'll get the belt.") and subconsciously they reason, "You can force me to eat it, but you can't force me to keep it down!" But in eating disorders, your comment about brainwash might fit, since body image is also part of the problem for so many. For some, it becomes an obsession, and their thinking is distorted. Everyone is telling them they look fine, and that message either doesn't register, or they dismiss it thinking that friends and family lie to be nice. All they hear is this inner voice, "You are too fat, you aren't good enough, you are ugly," and they cannot shake it.

Thus we come full circle and back on topic, where there is the other type of eating "disorder." It may be childhood issues, marital issues, and rebellion. For some people, obesity is a security blanket, particularly in cases of sexual abuse. Some figure it may turn off potential abusers or shield them from sexual attention. It doesn't work if the person is truly a deviant, they just want the power over another and the warm bodies. They dance to their own beat. Still, there are those who let themselves go to fend off sexual advances or to cushion blows from abuse. And a controlling spouse may drive them to eat even more in defiance. Others just feel controlled and kept from what they want to do, and they stuff themselves.

Oh, and all of this is my conjecture and experiences, nothing published.

Enjoy your morning!

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#44 Feb 16, 2013
In reply to #43:

That's a very interesting point you make

"Adjusting to the 'new' normal"

and .. I suppose we do it all the time,
ie, when someone close dies, there is a void,
we pick up the pieces and gradually we begin to adjust to the new normal,
and in time that void gets filled in..

As you say, there seems to be no reasoning for
the many reasons why people take to 'drink'
or begin 'using' and, like you also say,
a lot of it, sad as it may seem is about
control.. controlling one's own body...
for good or ill.

it often amazes me the peculiarities and the lengths
folks will go to in this regard.

The other night, for example.. I watched a very interesting
TV documentary, a woman grossly and dangerously overweight who had a male partner> tall, slim
and handsome, he wanted her to be fatter and fatter
and she was only too anxious to oblige,
he said he got off on watching her 'stuffing
herself' with food, and that their sex life was
wonderful!!!!! and she seemed chuffed with all the
sloppy fatty calorie-laden meals he made for her.
AND fed her!

The odd thing was, I was kind of grossed out by it
and yet found it compulsive viewing!
which in turn made me wonder WHAT was it in 'me'
that attracted me to this TV documentary!
Was it idle curiosity or something deeper -

who knows!

I think there's no accounting for human behavior
and it's many peculiarities!

“Stop libel and bullying.”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#45 Feb 16, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
In reply to #43:
That's a very interesting point you make
"Adjusting to the 'new' normal"
and .. I suppose we do it all the time,
ie, when someone close dies, there is a void,
we pick up the pieces and gradually we begin to adjust to the new normal,
and in time that void gets filled in..
As you say, there seems to be no reasoning for
the many reasons why people take to 'drink'
or begin 'using' and, like you also say,
a lot of it, sad as it may seem is about
control.. controlling one's own body...
for good or ill.
it often amazes me the peculiarities and the lengths
folks will go to in this regard.
The other night, for example.. I watched a very interesting
TV documentary, a woman grossly and dangerously overweight who had a male partner> tall, slim
and handsome, he wanted her to be fatter and fatter
and she was only too anxious to oblige,
he said he got off on watching her 'stuffing
herself' with food, and that their sex life was
wonderful!!!!! and she seemed chuffed with all the
sloppy fatty calorie-laden meals he made for her.
AND fed her!
The odd thing was, I was kind of grossed out by it
and yet found it compulsive viewing!
which in turn made me wonder WHAT was it in 'me'
that attracted me to this TV documentary!
Was it idle curiosity or something deeper -
who knows!
I think there's no accounting for human behavior
and it's many peculiarities!
On the new "normaal," I meant in terms of poisons we put in our bodies. That is why I put it in quotes. Once you take something mind-altering long enough, the body adjusts to keep things in balance. Then when you remove the toxin after years or even weeks of exposure, there is a new adjustment period. The problem with alcohol and drugs is that when you detox, you go in the opposite direction of what you want to go to. If you were trying to deaden the pain, you might even have more pain, even imagined pain when you try to quit. That is sad. I once saw what I believe was a heroin addict. They had track marks and sores where they scratched imaginary bugs. They were irrational and begging for ten dollars for their "medicine" because they were "sick."

Getting to control one's own life reminds me of class clown types. They didn't care if they got in trouble as long as they had attention.

What you describe about fat fetishism, I've wondered what that would be like, to be force fed by a partner and to get that big. Part of me would like to try that to be honest. In the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, that is what they do to teen girls. They are sent to places to be fattened up. That came from the African traditions and some people came in and nearly eradicated the practice on health grounds. Diabetes was an epidemic (no surprise), and some were adding steroids and other medications known to cause weight gain to the mix. Then when the Muslims took over, they restarted the practice. Hey if they are obese and at home pleasing their husbands, they won't be out committing adultery, or that is what they reason. I support the right to personal autonomy and gaining weight if one wants, but, this is forced on teenagers over there.

I cannot speak for you, but whatever one speaks against the hardest is often what someone is drawn to, but that is only a rule of thumb. Like on the gay issue, not everyone who speaks against it is in the closet. Some just have sincere convictions. However, such zeal against a particular behavior is certainly a red flag. Also, there is the nature of things being taboo. The more some say something is bad or wrong, the more some want to try it. That is partly why the war on drugs is a losing war.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 6 min Judy 123 245
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 9 min Judy 123 55,267
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min Roxie Darling 152,461
3 "NEW" words from last 3 letters without using... (Sep '12) 15 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1,575
"2" TWO word FUN game*** (Mar '13) 19 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1,276
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 24 min Roxie Darling 227
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 25 min JM_Brazil 132,509
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 hr andet1987 7,557
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 4 hr Roy 25,663
HOW LONG can you hold YOUR SEMEN ? For men only. (Mar '12) 8 hr -Lea- 47
More from around the web