Centenarian Gets Honorary High School...

Centenarian Gets Honorary High School Diploma

There are 7 comments on the ABC News story from Jul 29, 2014, titled Centenarian Gets Honorary High School Diploma. In it, ABC News reports that:

East Providence resident Mary Moniz received the honorary diploma from the Fall River, Massachusetts, school department on Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

Christsharians on the DL

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Jul 29, 2014
The sad thing is she _still_ reads two grade levels behind her age.

“Pompous pontificator”

Level 5

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#2 Jul 30, 2014
She should have received two since you learn more in 50 years of living than in high school. Public school is a joke.
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jul 30, 2014
Bubbletoes wrote:
She should have received two since you learn more in 50 years of living than in high school. Public school is a joke.
That's a very unsophisticated remark, a joke.

Public schools in wealthy districts tend to be among the best options you can find.

Unless you "believe" the earth is under 10000 years old, of course. Then these perfectly fine public schools concentrated in wealthy districts would be "a joke."

“Pompous pontificator”

Level 5

Location hidden

#4 Jul 31, 2014
Ted Haggard s Gospel Rub wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very unsophisticated remark, a joke.
Public schools in wealthy districts tend to be among the best options you can find.
Unless you "believe" the earth is under 10000 years old, of course. Then these perfectly fine public schools concentrated in wealthy districts would be "a joke."
I get taken to task when I generalize. So let me qualify my remark about public school so almost anyone will understand. If one wants to judge the efficacy of most public education, all one need to is ask high school students a number of very simple questions regarding history, geography, science, and current events. You'll be amazed how dumb they are. We are simply going through the motions and not getting through to our youth.

Not only are we not employing the right methods (as evidence by obvious failure), but we're not teaching the right things. If a high school graduate doesn't know how to: balance a checkbook, prepare a simple meal and clean up, keep a dwelling clean, make a bed, wash laundry, change a flat tire and perform basic preventive vehicle maintenance, write a letter,'speak on his/her feet' to a group of people, and know who his political representatives are and how to reach them, then the public school system IS a failure.
Latter Day Taints

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Jul 31, 2014
Bubbletoes wrote:
<quoted text>
I get taken to task when I generalize. So let me qualify my remark about public school so almost anyone will understand. If one wants to judge the efficacy of most public education, all one need to is ask high school students a number of very simple questions regarding history, geography, science, and current events. You'll be amazed how dumb they are. We are simply going through the motions and not getting through to our youth.
Not only are we not employing the right methods (as evidence by obvious failure), but we're not teaching the right things. If a high school graduate doesn't know how to: balance a checkbook, prepare a simple meal and clean up, keep a dwelling clean, make a bed, wash laundry, change a flat tire and perform basic preventive vehicle maintenance, write a letter,'speak on his/her feet' to a group of people, and know who his political representatives are and how to reach them, then the public school system IS a failure.
Oh!

But didn't you specificy "public schools"? No private schools teach that series of sorta kinda life skills you listed, either.

So you didn't really have a beef about public schools, after all.

Well, except you did...for right wing, ideological reasons.

I agree there's lots and lots of problems in how people are educated, in case you didn't gather that from my replies to you. And vice versa, I am sure.

“Pompous pontificator”

Level 5

Location hidden

#6 Jul 31, 2014
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh!
But didn't you specificy "public schools"? No private schools teach that series of sorta kinda life skills you listed, either.
So you didn't really have a beef about public schools, after all.
Well, except you did...for right wing, ideological reasons.
I agree there's lots and lots of problems in how people are educated, in case you didn't gather that from my replies to you. And vice versa, I am sure.
I'll say it slower so you'll understand: "If one wants to judge the efficacy of most public education, all one need do is ask high school students a number of very simple questions regarding history, geography, science, and current events. You'll be amazed how dumb they are. We are simply going through the motions and not getting through to our youth."

The part following was not specifically referring to public school only. BTW, how does wanting children to receive a quality, useful education mean I am of a right wing persuasion? Do you have some kind of right wing sniffing dog with which you're experimenting ?
Latter Day Taints

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Jul 31, 2014
Bubbletoes wrote:
Your post is about "public school."

You dismiss _it_ as a "joke," not private schools.

Those private schools do not teach your litany of pseudo masculinist skills, either.

US public schools are among the best in the world...when they're in wealthy school districts.

I think it is right wing tee baggrz who are the joke. We don't want them commenting on education policy or on any other public policy, at least not until they know the earth is billions of years old, not thousands, and are capable of understanding what "greenhouse effect" means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a Word, Drop a Panty game 6 min andet1987 741
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 12 min Hoosier Hillbilly 5,132
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 12 min Hoosier Hillbilly 5,892
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 12 min Hoosier Hillbilly 2,453
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 32 min SweLL GirL 169,390
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 40 min Hoosier Hillbilly 32,716
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 42 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,887
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr PFfff 43,520
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr Krypteia 173,594
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 2 hr Krypteia 29,708