Elio Motors promises a weird $6,800 car

Elio Motors promises a weird $6,800 car

There are 7 comments on the WTAE-TV Pittsburgh story from Jun 26, 2014, titled Elio Motors promises a weird $6,800 car. In it, WTAE-TV Pittsburgh reports that:

Some time next year, a company called Elio Motors claims it will begin building a car in its Louisiana factory that will get 84 miles per gallon on the highway and that will sell for a base price of $6,800.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTAE-TV Pittsburgh.

Sykesville, MD

#1 Jun 26, 2014
Five Stars? Is that how many stars you see before you die?
Parden Pard

Catasauqua, PA

#2 Jun 26, 2014
The red necks will stomp it off the rode......
Mitts Gold Plated Taliban

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jun 26, 2014
To qualify for that very low, base price you will have to give the salesperson a Hummer.
Mitts Gold Plated Taliban

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jun 26, 2014
Your pre teens won't get car sick, they will get car Elio.

“Pompous pontificator”

Level 5

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 27, 2014
I've been following this story, and it may be just another 'too good to be true' story. A 'reverse' trike "Spyder" costs ~$15K and up; how will they make any money selling this cycle/car for 6800?

I'd love to have one, but it looks like all they have is a prototype with a Geo engine they are parading around the country. Still, I hope this machine comes to fruition. It would be a boon for long distance personal transportation, or commuting.

Fort White, FL

#7 Jun 28, 2014
It will be interesting to see if it makes it. The oil companies would really, really hate something like this to do well. So I really, really hope it does.

They will probably buy this company out, or arrange for it's early demise.

Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Jun 28, 2014
The crash safety rating matters on its terms, but it doesn't matter.

Look how the front, steerable wheels hang out by that spider leg like suspension - one fender bender and you're replacing a third of the motorcycle, whether the little pod for the riders stays intact or not.

In other words, you might as well buy two right away for every one you need. Repairs to the front would be that costly relative to the advertised purchased price.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Next 13 min NEXT 1
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 15 min Hoosier Hillbilly 39,390
Write cities alfabetically (tell the country/st... (Sep '11) 18 min Hoosier Hillbilly 3,304
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 21 min Hoosier Hillbilly 11,752
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 23 min Hoosier Hillbilly 48,243
last word/first word. (Apr '12) 26 min Hoosier Hillbilly 7,969
A six word game (Dec '08) 28 min Hoosier Hillbilly 21,381
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr grace f a l l e n 229,127