Location hidden

#23 Mar 12, 2013
Wow, lot's of Hindus on topix.

“Greybox Rambler”

Level 5

Since: Feb 13

In the woods...

#24 Mar 12, 2013
I thinks this about covers it for me....

“...2015...”

Since: Jun 08

....comin' right up!........

#25 Mar 12, 2013
...we want to be cremated...no services or viewing...the cheapest the kids can get away with....then i've asked to be tossed in a shallow creek over some riffles...i don't even care where but the oldest offspring has said it will probably be in the Buffalo National River somewhere...damn....crowds every weekend....the bosslady, however has said she wants her ashes divided between the 2 offspring, and kept in a nice jar....and then dusted twice a week.....

“Greybox Rambler”

Level 5

In the woods...

#26 Mar 12, 2013
No seriously, both wifey and I want to be cremated....and like Sam with no services.

I want my ashes spread over my favorite spot in the world...Diamond Creek, wifey wants hers buried on top of the son we lost in 78.....

“From Dusk To Dawn,...”

Level 8

Since: Mar 12

Cruising U.S.A.

#27 Mar 12, 2013
Ever consider Taxidermy,...? Just a thought,...Great for Halloween,...Family Gatherings, Fun Parties,...

“Hippie Single DAD, vet, Honest”

Level 6

Since: Apr 11

Steamboat Sprgs Colorado

#28 Mar 12, 2013
Some good answers. I love the idea of putting me in some of my old s&p shakers & making a gift to my former spouse!

I have my DAD & MOM'S ashes in my living room. I have his ashes in a pc. of bronze pipe with a valve with an old fashioned pipe wrench mounted to the it ,his ashes are in it,he was a union pipefitter & his local assembled it for me. I have my MOM'S ashes in a bowling pin avon bottle,on a shelf mounted to a pic. frame,I decoupaged cross word puzzles,from her books, to the frame & the shelf .
My folks were long divorced, I used pics. of them for the background & mounted them behind their ashes staring across the china cabinet at each other LOL
I also have a shotgun shell that contains some of DAD'S ashes I will shoot skeet with them some day. A dear friend passed away a few yrs ago,he was also a historian,gun nut & built cannons. He had a family, unofficial military wake, ceremony & they fired his ashes from muskets & a cannon at dusk,over looking the lake where he lived. very cool.
BTW I will be cremated ,already paid for, I am running on borrowed time right now ,so I try to keep it in perspective. I have joked for yrs. I would like to be put in Paint so my Daughter could use me to restore some furniture or remodel her house,that way I would always be there.
My Grand father was a Mortician lol I have heard all manner of things people want done or have done to them selves or loved ones after passing. Have also been to numerous burials at sea & grave side at Arlington twice,that is still the most moving exp. I have ever had.
I have all the music picked out & the menu already made for my wake. "Life is short-Paint it Pink" Rick

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#30 Mar 14, 2013
Gunner wrote:
I think if there's no service (I've seen that.) and no final resting place, people (friends and family) feel cheated out of saying a proper goodbye. My wishes are written down and saved. My kids know where to find it. To not have your wishes communicated, puts a large burden on whom ever is doing the arrangements. I want to make it as easy as possible for them.
VERY well said and I agree..
i too think..
closure is very important,
that's why we [in Ireland] believe in WAKES..
having the body laid out in the house in their favourite
clothes;

all neighbors and friends coming by,
at different times.... to
pay their respects, some stopping to say goodbye.. some
shedding a quiet tear, others saying a prayer for the deceased..

and afterwards mingling with the family and having a cup of tea
or 'something stronger'!

Excellent therapy for *EVERYONE* involved
Level 7

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#31 Mar 14, 2013
Gunner wrote:
I think if there's no service (I've seen that.) and no final resting place, people (friends and family) feel cheated out of saying a proper goodbye. My wishes are written down and saved. My kids know where to find it. To not have your wishes communicated, puts a large burden on whom ever is doing the arrangements. I want to make it as easy as possible for them.
my vote is still out on the goodbye..Its American tradition, and very costly to say goodbye..I dont like to visit my fathers gravesite..I do what I need to do out of respect,,but only his shell is there...my memories..good bad and inbetween are in my heart...mementos, pictures etc....as far as the goodbye...still dunno,, I SERIOUSLY and not fond of having everyone center around my body or an urn and talk about what a great gal I was...it creeps me out...I dont like that kind of attention...

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#32 Mar 14, 2013
reebie wrote:
<quoted text>my vote is still out on the goodbye..Its American tradition, and very costly to say goodbye..I dont like to visit my fathers gravesite..I do what I need to do out of respect,,but only his shell is there...my memories..good bad and inbetween are in my heart...mementos, pictures etc....as far as the goodbye...still dunno,, I SERIOUSLY and not fond of having everyone center around my body or an urn and talk about what a great gal I was...it creeps me out...I dont like that kind of attention...
lol

Interesting.. what you say.

yes.. folks have a habit of making people..
who have passed.. into 'plaster saints'!!

docking them of little faults
that make us 'ALL' human..

'I' don't like that either.

“If you're happy & you know it”

Level 7

clap your hands!

#33 Mar 14, 2013
reebie wrote:
<quoted text>my vote is still out on the goodbye..Its American tradition, and very costly to say goodbye..I dont like to visit my fathers gravesite..I do what I need to do out of respect,,but only his shell is there...my memories..good bad and inbetween are in my heart...mementos, pictures etc....as far as the goodbye...still dunno,, I SERIOUSLY and not fond of having everyone center around my body or an urn and talk about what a great gal I was...it creeps me out...I dont like that kind of attention...
I don't even know where my father is buried. My step mother was on bad terms with my sister & I (she hated us). After dad died, she invited us to the funeral parlor with all the family to discuss what would happen, sis & I wanted him cremated. Step-mother & her kids wanted him buried and chose the most expensive of everything. After she found out we wouldn't pay for the most expensive of everything she conveniently forgot to notify us of his burial. Because we knew where he was to be buried, she chose a different cemetery. No one will tell us where he's at.

I know my dad was a simple country man & I know that he would have been miffed if he found out she had him put in the ground rather than cremated - he would have balked at the expense too. Unfortunately he died so quickly and unexpectedly he left behind no instructions.

That's the main reason why I've made it clear to my mom, sister, man & kids exactly what I expect to happen when I die.
Carefree

Ludington, MI

#35 Mar 14, 2013
for me the best alternative is Life Legacy

http://www.lifelegacy.org/

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#36 Mar 15, 2013
My husband wants to be burned and I want to be buried. We bought two grave sites but had to use one for my daughter.
DTA

Willcox, AZ

#37 Jul 27, 2013
Is it legal to dump cremated ashes on state land? I'm talking swamp areas, It's my Ex. and I get the last laugh. Don't worry God understands why.

“Time will tell...”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#38 Jul 28, 2013
Cremation is such a waste of good fertilizer..(lol)

Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#39 Jul 28, 2013
Traditional Burying

Level 9

New York, NY

#41 Jul 28, 2013
My final arrangements have been in place for some time now. Cremation followed by burial at sea in the North Atlantic compliments of the U.S.Navy at a time and date of their choosing...

“Somewhere within...”

Level 4

Since: Jul 13

...the Topix mainframe.

#42 Jul 28, 2013
I Am Enzo - The Baker wrote:
My final arrangements have been in place for some time now. Cremation followed by burial at sea in the North Atlantic compliments of the U.S.Navy at a time and date of their choosing...
An excellent way for a Navy man to go, Enzo.

Level 9

New York, NY

#43 Jul 28, 2013
MPk_Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
An excellent way for a Navy man to go, Enzo.
Not for a long time Kid...

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#45 Sep 2, 2013
liam cul8r wrote:
I think our memories of past loved ones are what's inside us, or pictures, songs, things that we say and do that remind us of them. I felt guilty when I visited my moms grave because I just don't feel like I think I should, make sense? I've only been there twice. Staring at the spot where she is buried just doesn't make me feel anything, but a song, or a memory, pictures, that's how I greave.
My preference is to be cremated when I die. I will live in my families hearts and memories as my past loved ones do with me.
I'll leave the decision of where to spread my ashes up to them....
This kind of puts a lump in my throat....you just never know, you know?
love this, Liam.

To me, our bodies are just a vessel for this earthly journey and I don't feel any special reverence for that. When my husband died, it was after a four year battle that left his body shrunken and tattered...I HATED his body for giving out so soon. I don't understand the whole death/funeral industry...it's too late to share love then, you know?

I have told my kids to spend the least possible money, to cremate and disperse, and that I'll be in them always.

“[[[ Always Thinking ]]]”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

#46 Sep 2, 2013
I want my 2 kids to wash their hands off good after they've spread my ashes over the lake, I've
already rubbed off on them enough.
They both get more like me every day and that ain't all good, their mother doesn't think so either.
LMAO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Chilli J 134,297
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 5 min Breezy _Soul 55,328
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 6 min Old Sam 26,772
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 6 min Breezy _Soul 40,762
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 7 min -Lea- 25,979
A six word game (Dec '08) 8 min Breezy _Soul 18,048
20,000th Post Wins - 2d Edition (Jan '13) 8 min Old Sam 1,748
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 15 min TALLYHO 8541 37,782
Is it possible to....... 40 min Enzo49 591
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 45 min Enzo49 152,846