Another Valentine's poetry challenge

Posted in the Weird Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#1 Feb 15, 2013
Another Valentine's poetry challenge:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/alt.arts.po...

George Dance wrote:

The rules are simple: the poem must deal with an aspect of love, and
must include the word "love" somewhere. As well, the poem must be
brought to my attention, either by posting it in this thread linked to above, by
linking to it in the thread linked to above, by mentioning this thread in its subject
header, by sending me an email, or by some other means.

Qualified poems will be announced the following Saturday, and a voting
thread opened. Voting will close midnight EST Sunday.

Prizes (if any) are yet to be determined.

Entries so far:

Birds on the Lake - Hell Stomper
Valentine Street - Double V
Miss Alice Crenshaw - Will Dockery
Afterglow - George Dance
On a Valentine’s Day -=z=
Sex Cells - Hieronymous House

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#2 Feb 15, 2013
OK..

well I might as well submit this effort
written by 'myself' to celebrate
Valentine's Day.

**********

A Valentine Fantasy:

"Valentine's Cupid stayed by her side
And watched o'er her lovingly all through the night.
At dawn he placed rosebuds around where she lay.
A greeting of love on St VALENTINE'S DAY..

As they wandered the woodlands through day's happy hours
He picked her ... sweet snowdrops and wild fragrant flowers.
saying ... he adored her .. and ne'r could there be
another .. as fair .. or... as lovely as she

but .. he had to go to a land far away..
Where flaxen haired angels and sweet cherubs play..

Now .. deep in the woodlands in February days.
His image is seen in the sun's golden rays ..

A shower of red petals on the green forest floor
and baskets of kisses arrive at her door

She can tell they are gifts .. from him
straight from above

'cause they're sealed with his kiss and
made bright by his love..

And oft' in her slumber...
She dreams of him then
and longs for the time she will see him again.
Knowing... he'll return with the first bloom of spring

When blossoms are bending and little birds sing...

He'll come back from the magical land far away

To be with her once more...
on

St valentine's Day ..."

by (Grace Nerissa)

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#3 Feb 15, 2013
or by some other means.


sounds Phishy,...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#4 Feb 15, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
OK..
well I might as well submit this effort
written by 'myself' to celebrate
Valentine's Day.
**********
A Valentine Fantasy:
"Valentine's Cupid stayed by her side
And watched o'er her lovingly all through the night.
At dawn he placed rosebuds around where she lay.
A greeting of love on St VALENTINE'S DAY..
As they wandered the woodlands through day's happy hours
He picked her ... sweet snowdrops and wild fragrant flowers.
saying ... he adored her .. and ne'r could there be
another .. as fair .. or... as lovely as she
but .. he had to go to a land far away..
Where flaxen haired angels and sweet cherubs play..
Now .. deep in the woodlands in February days.
His image is seen in the sun's golden rays ..
A shower of red petals on the green forest floor
and baskets of kisses arrive at her door
She can tell they are gifts .. from him
straight from above
'cause they're sealed with his kiss and
made bright by his love..
And oft' in her slumber...
She dreams of him then
and longs for the time she will see him again.
Knowing... he'll return with the first bloom of spring
When blossoms are bending and little birds sing...
He'll come back from the magical land far away
To be with her once more...
on
St valentine's Day ..."
by (Grace Nerissa)
Hello Grace, and thanks for joining the poetry contest!

Please follow the link to the poetry group and confirm your entry:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poet...

Here's what I posted as an intro for you:

George, one of the posts, this on on Topix.com , has brought in a poem for
the contest, the poet posted it on the thread, so they'll have to be
directed over here, but this is the poem:

A Valentine Fantasy / Grace Nerissa

"Valentine's Cupid stayed by her side
And watched o'er her lovingly all through the night.
At dawn he placed rosebuds around where she lay.
A greeting of love on St VALENTINE'S DAY..

Read more here:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/weird/T4DH64N...

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#5 Feb 15, 2013
I lie,
the passion awakened, not by intention
but still open and seething...

your love could possibly quench
the heaving need.

wanna try?

“Mrs_E”

Level 7

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#6 Feb 15, 2013
Debra27 wrote:
I lie,
the passion awakened, not by intention
but still open and seething...
your love could possibly quench
the heaving need.
wanna try?
very nice deb!!
:)

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#7 Feb 16, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
OK..
well I might as well submit this effort
written by 'myself' to celebrate
Valentine's Day.
**********
A Valentine Fantasy:
"Valentine's Cupid stayed by her side
And watched o'er her lovingly all through the night.
At dawn he placed rosebuds around where she lay.
A greeting of love on St VALENTINE'S DAY..
As they wandered the woodlands through day's happy hours
He picked her ... sweet snowdrops and wild fragrant flowers.
saying ... he adored her .. and ne'r could there be
another .. as fair .. or... as lovely as she
but .. he had to go to a land far away..
Where flaxen haired angels and sweet cherubs play..
Now .. deep in the woodlands in February days.
His image is seen in the sun's golden rays ..
A shower of red petals on the green forest floor
and baskets of kisses arrive at her door
She can tell they are gifts .. from him
straight from above
'cause they're sealed with his kiss and
made bright by his love..
And oft' in her slumber...
She dreams of him then
and longs for the time she will see him again.
Knowing... he'll return with the first bloom of spring
When blossoms are bending and little birds sing...
He'll come back from the magical land far away
To be with her once more...
on
St valentine's Day ..."
by (Grace Nerissa)
brilliant as always Grace.....

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#8 Feb 16, 2013
Debra27 wrote:
I lie,
the passion awakened, not by intention
but still open and seething...
your love could possibly quench
the heaving need.
wanna try?
Welcome aboard!

KUDOS to you for trying..

I thought I'd try too...
Nice that a few of us
wil 'dive' in together, fun..

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#9 Feb 16, 2013
stacked and proud wrote:
<quoted text>
brilliant as always Grace.....
Ah! thank you, S&P..

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#10 Feb 16, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome aboard!
KUDOS to you for trying..
I thought I'd try too...
Nice that a few of us
wil 'dive' in together, fun..
Hello Grace!

Just saw your confirmation at:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poet...

Great to have you on!

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#11 Feb 16, 2013
Debra27 wrote:
I lie,
the passion awakened, not by intention
but still open and seething...
your love could possibly quench
the heaving need.
wanna try?
Hello Debra, hope you'll join the contest.

Just post poem and confirmation of the thread linked here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poet...

The rules are simple: the poem must deal with an aspect of love, and must include the word "love" somewhere. And the poem must be confirmed/posted on the thread linked to above.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#12 Feb 16, 2013
Roses are red
The love pill is blue
thought it was a suppository
Valentine in the loo

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#13 Feb 16, 2013
The Other Valentine's Contest - finalists and ballot

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/alt.arts.po...

George Dance wrote:

I'm pleased to report that we had 11 submissions for the Other
Valentine's Contest, 9 of which qualified.(I disqualified one because
it did not contain the word "love" or a variant, and the other due to
COI.) To eliminate bias as much as possible,the 8 contestants are
presented here without the author's name, in a random order.

Birds on the Lake
Valentine Street
Passion
on a valentine's day
inLove*
Sex Cells
Miss Alice Crenshaw
A Valentine's Fantasy
As you read this

To encourage a close reading of all poems, the voting is by ranked
preference.(For those new to the term, ranked preference voting is
voting for more than one option, identifying their most preferred as
1, their next as 2, etc.) A person need not assign a preference to all
8 poems. Those who wish to vote for only one poem, in the traditional
way, may still do so; that will be counted as a preference ranking of
1.

Bcause the ballot is a bit late getting out, and because this Monday
is a statutory holiday, voting hours are extended until 6 a.m. Monday
Eastern Standard Time.

Only one ballot per voter will be counted, but voters may change their
preferences any time up until the deadline. If you change your ballot,
please indicate that you have done so, so that you may not be double
counted.

The top three poems will be published in The Penny Blog under the
poet's name (if the poet agrees to that) later this month.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#14 Feb 18, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
OK..
well I might as well submit this effort
written by 'myself' to celebrate
Valentine's Day.
**********
A Valentine Fantasy:
"Valentine's Cupid stayed by her side
And watched o'er her lovingly all through the night.
At dawn he placed rosebuds around where she lay.
A greeting of love on St VALENTINE'S DAY..
As they wandered the woodlands through day's happy hours
He picked her ... sweet snowdrops and wild fragrant flowers.
saying ... he adored her .. and ne'r could there be
another .. as fair .. or... as lovely as she
but .. he had to go to a land far away..
Where flaxen haired angels and sweet cherubs play..
Now .. deep in the woodlands in February days.
His image is seen in the sun's golden rays ..
A shower of red petals on the green forest floor
and baskets of kisses arrive at her door
She can tell they are gifts .. from him
straight from above
'cause they're sealed with his kiss and
made bright by his love..
And oft' in her slumber...
She dreams of him then
and longs for the time she will see him again.
Knowing... he'll return with the first bloom of spring
When blossoms are bending and little birds sing...
He'll come back from the magical land far away
To be with her once more...
on
St valentine's Day ..."
by (Grace Nerissa)
Grace, you are the winner!

The winners are in for the poetry contest, for those who were following it:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poet...

George Dance wrote:

"...The Other Valentine's contest is now over. Thank you to everyone who
participated, either by submitting a poem or by voting:

The top five finishers, in order, with the names or nyms of the
authors, and the points received, were:

A Valentine's Fantasy, by Grace Nerissa - 33
Passion, by Dana Dodd - 29
As you read this, by Hieronymous 707 - 29
Valentine Street, by doubleV - 26
Birds on the Lake, by Hell Stomper - 24

As announced, the top 3 poems qualify to be posted on The Penny Blog.
However, that does not include "Passion", since it appeared on the
weblog 2 years ago:

http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2011/04/panti...

So I would prefer to expand the offer to include the (other 4 of the)
top 5. Given that Valentine's day is now days in the past, I would
also like to save these poems and print them next year."

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#15 Feb 21, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
Grace, you are the winner!
The winners are in for the poetry contest, for those who were following it:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poet...
George Dance wrote:
"...The Other Valentine's contest is now over. Thank you to everyone who
participated, either by submitting a poem or by voting:
The top five finishers, in order, with the names or nyms of the
authors, and the points received, were:
A Valentine's Fantasy, by Grace Nerissa - 33
Passion, by Dana Dodd - 29
As you read this, by Hieronymous 707 - 29
Valentine Street, by doubleV - 26
Birds on the Lake, by Hell Stomper - 24
As announced, the top 3 poems qualify to be posted on The Penny Blog.
However, that does not include "Passion", since it appeared on the
weblog 2 years ago:
http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2011/04/panti...
So I would prefer to expand the offer to include the (other 4 of the)
top 5. Given that Valentine's day is now days in the past, I would
also like to save these poems and print them next year."
--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
You are joking???

WELL!! I'm just chuffed!
especially since one of my best friends
passed away these past days..
hence the delay in replying..

and this is a real boost.

Come on now!
Hand over the prize money 10,00000000 dollars!

Ha ha joking!!! LOL!

More seriously....

THANK YOU & ALL.. "SO" very much!

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#16 Feb 21, 2013
Might want to look at the Columbus threads, see just what you are in for,...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#17 Feb 22, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
You are joking???
WELL!! I'm just chuffed!
especially since one of my best friends
passed away these past days..
hence the delay in replying..
and this is a real boost.
Come on now!
Hand over the prize money 10,00000000 dollars!
Ha ha joking!!! LOL!
More seriously....
THANK YOU & ALL.. "SO" very much!
There's now a "poet of the Month" contest going on there now you might want to get in on, Grace!

--
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_115...

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#18 Feb 22, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
There's now a "poet of the Month" contest going on there now you might want to get in on, Grace!
--
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_115...
Thanks for that.. WD,

Whilst all the poems were of a high calibre,

Like you,

the poem 'PASSION' was truly gripping..

I'll keep in touch...
& T H A N K S!

My ego was boosted when it REALLY needed
boosting..
by the rather sudden death [this past week] of a long time friend.

Will spare you the details!

but..

'til we meet again -
All the very best.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#19 Feb 22, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that.. WD,
Whilst all the poems were of a high calibre,
Like you,
the poem 'PASSION' was truly gripping..
I'll keep in touch...
& T H A N K S!
My ego was boosted when it REALLY needed
boosting..
by the rather sudden death [this past week] of a long time friend.
Will spare you the details!
but..
'til we meet again -
All the very best.
Good morning, Grace... the "rules" on the new contest...

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/alt.arts.po...

From: Hieronymous House Post reply

Feb 17

To all potential players, a list of proposed rules:

1. All entries must be original to the author. Previously posted works are not allowed. The winner of each round has the option of resubmitting the same piece for subsequent rounds, or offering something new for consideration.

2. Deadlines are final. It's up to you to get your entries in on time. You will have at least 48 hours notice, posted in group, that entries are due.

3. Writing styles of some contributors may suggest their identity, but the contest is anonymous until the final around. Entries may not contain name dropping self-references.

4. First round entries limited to 32 lines.

5. Pieces will be paired and posted in the order that they are received. An ode may face-off against a sonnet, or a limerick against a villanelle, or a blank verse may face a rap rhyme, or whatever whatever, etc. etc.

6. Participants must vote in every round, and yes, you may vote for yourself.

7. Non-participants are encouraged to vote as well. Socks puppet comments are invited, but their votes won't count. You know who you are.

8. All entries get emailed to me at jcorey...@aol.com.

9. Votes will be accepted for 3 days after each round. Winners will be posted, and those moving on will have another 3 days to submit an entry.

That should be enough rules to get us started. Comments? Suggestions?

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#20 Feb 22, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning, Grace... the "rules" on the new contest...
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/alt.arts.po...
From: Hieronymous House Post reply
Feb 17
To all potential players, a list of proposed rules:
1. All entries must be original to the author. Previously posted works are not allowed. The winner of each round has the option of resubmitting the same piece for subsequent rounds, or offering something new for consideration.
2. Deadlines are final. It's up to you to get your entries in on time. You will have at least 48 hours notice, posted in group, that entries are due.
3. Writing styles of some contributors may suggest their identity, but the contest is anonymous until the final around. Entries may not contain name dropping self-references.
4. First round entries limited to 32 lines.
5. Pieces will be paired and posted in the order that they are received. An ode may face-off against a sonnet, or a limerick against a villanelle, or a blank verse may face a rap rhyme, or whatever whatever, etc. etc.
6. Participants must vote in every round, and yes, you may vote for yourself.
7. Non-participants are encouraged to vote as well. Socks puppet comments are invited, but their votes won't count. You know who you are.
8. All entries get emailed to me at jcorey...@aol.com.
9. Votes will be accepted for 3 days after each round. Winners will be posted, and those moving on will have another 3 days to submit an entry.
That should be enough rules to get us started. Comments? Suggestions?
So any poems previously posted
here on Offbeat threads do not qualify??
it that right?

just trying to confirm that
and thanks.

Should be fun..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio Sam sucks Co ck 6 min Righdownthemiddle 1
Truck containing 36,000 pounds of Crisco stolen 7 min Are you sure 31
During Obama's Speech at Democratic Campaign Ra... 7 min Mitt s Santorum S... 21
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 8 min a_visitor 22,218
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min a_visitor 148,959
Word Association (Mar '10) 13 min White Fire 16,109
News System Rigged 20 min Enter Username 3
True or False Game 2 hr Vector aka Victor... 377
Family shocked after texting dead grandmother, ... 3 hr Protoham 9
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 5 hr Juju Beans 6,829

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE