“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#10827 Sep 30, 2013
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>I can remember Sagen talking about SETI not finding "anything" meaning it could be construed that the technical age may not survive, one of the thoughts that drew me to low cost self sustainability
I cant find the quote
Could this be it?
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology." - Dr. Carl Sagan

From what I have read of Sagan, he believed that technological civilizations would self-destruct before maturing into spacefaring ones.

"Sagan believed that the Drake equation, on substitution of reasonable estimates, suggested that a large number of extraterrestrial civilizations would form, but that the lack of evidence of such civilizations highlighted by the Fermi paradox suggests technological civilizations tend to self-destruct. This stimulated his interest in identifying and publicizing ways that humanity could destroy itself, with the hope of avoiding such a cataclysm and eventually becoming a spacefaring species."

He was very hopeful but still a realist.

“Fishin' in the Moonlight”

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

.......¿.......

#10828 Sep 30, 2013
Men have become the tools of their tools.

~Henry David Thoreau

Level 9

.......¿.......

#10829 Sep 30, 2013
I would have made a great Pope.

~Richard M. Nixon

Level 9

.......¿.......

#10830 Sep 30, 2013
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going because you might not get there.

~Yogi Berra

“when will we know when”

Since: Jun 08

we have spent enough money?

#10831 Sep 30, 2013
"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."

Margaret Mead

“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#10832 Sep 30, 2013
SLY WEST wrote:
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going because you might not get there.
~Yogi Berra
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.--Douglas Adams

“when will we know when”

Since: Jun 08

we have spent enough money?

#10833 Sep 30, 2013
"The interval between the decay of the old and the formation and establishment of the new constitutes a period of transition which must always necessarily be one of uncertainty, confusion, error, and wild and fierce fanaticism."

John C. Calhoun

“Hong Kong Phooey”

Level 4

Since: Nov 12

So Far Out of this World

#10834 Sep 30, 2013
"So he likes drugs and hookers. That's the mustard & mayo on the sandwich of life. Problem is, that's all he's got on his sandwich."

“I haven't been everywhere.....”

Level 8

Since: May 09

but it's on my list.

#10835 Sep 30, 2013
Blessed is the person who is too busy to worry in the daytime and too sleepy to worry at night.

~Author Unknown

“Colleges Search Engine ”

Level 8

Since: Mar 12

www.schoolanduniversity.com

#10836 Oct 1, 2013
Giving up doesn't indicate that you are weak.. It means you've held on to something so long, and you couldn't keep holding on. And for that, you have strength.

Level 8

#10837 Oct 1, 2013
You will never be brave if you don't get hurt.you will never learn if you don't make mistakes.

Level 8

#10838 Oct 1, 2013
Happiness is not a reward it is a consequence. Suffering is not a punishment it is a result.

Level 8

#10839 Oct 1, 2013
Losing is a learning experience. It teaches you humility. It teaches you to work harder. It's also a powerful motivator.

Level 8

#10840 Oct 1, 2013
When you know why you like someone it's a crush. When you have no idea why you like someone it's love.

Level 8

#10841 Oct 1, 2013
GOD is the best listener, you don't need to shout, nor cry out loud. Because he hears even the very silent prayer of a sincere heart.

“Hippie Witch”

Level 6

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10842 Oct 1, 2013
Every now and then, I'll meet an escapee, someone who has broken free of self-centeredness and lit out for the territory of compassion. You've met them, too, those people who seem to emit a steady stream of, for want of a better word, love-vibes. As soon as you come within range, you feel embraced, accepted for who you are. For those of us who suspect that you rarely get something for nothing, such geniality can be discomfiting. Yet it feels so good to be around them. They stand there, radiating photons of goodwill, and despite yourself you beam back, and the world, in a twinkling, changes. ~ Marc Barasch

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

Since: Feb 08

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#10843 Oct 1, 2013
"What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan ~

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#10845 Oct 1, 2013
I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

Thomas Jefferson

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#10846 Oct 1, 2013
I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.

Thomas Jefferson

“Grateful,Humble, and Blessed!!”

Level 5

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#10847 Oct 1, 2013
A minute's worth of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min DanFromSmithville 161,704
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 7 min honeymylove 140,246
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... 12 min CJ Rocker 815
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 16 min -ThatsAllFolks- 161,778
Things that make life eaiser... 17 min -ThatsAllFolks- 255
Who doesn't have a Topix crush? (Apr '13) 19 min -ThatsAllFolks- 406
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 26 min Papa Smurfaletto 10,882
News Baltimore Mom Catches Her Son Rioting, Beats Hi... 41 min Reality 177
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 1 hr -ThatsAllFolks- 28,978
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 1 hr MrsGladToBeMe 8,398
More from around the web