Interesting Quotes

Level 8

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#9570 Jul 5, 2013
"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."

-Harriet Tubman

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#9571 Jul 5, 2013
In about two minutes in its entirety, 4 months shy of 7 score and 10 years ago:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln at the Consecration of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg, 19th November 1863

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#9572 Jul 5, 2013
Five score years later:

Beginning --
Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon of hope to millions of slaves, who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity. But one hundred years later, the colored America is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of the colored American is still sadly crippled by the manacle of segregation and the chains of discrimination.....

ending --
When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every tenement and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old spiritual, "Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."

Martin Luther King at the Lincoln Memorial [March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom], August 28, 1963

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#9573 Jul 5, 2013
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

Mark Twain

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#9574 Jul 5, 2013
Even though some in our government may claim that civil liberties must be compromised in order to protect the public, we must be wary of what we are giving up in the name of fighting terrorism.
Lucille Roybal-Allard

We should be wary of politicians who profess to follow history while only noticing those signposts of history that point in the direction which they themselves already favour.
Douglas Hurd

Gossip is a very dangerous tool. We should be more wary of the gossiper, and not the gossip they're trying to relay to you.
John Lydon

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#9575 Jul 5, 2013
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

George Washington

“..clinton or trump..who wins?”

Since: Jun 08

...it doesn't matter for us...

#9576 Jul 5, 2013
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary."

James Madison

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

United States, North America

#9577 Jul 5, 2013
“If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the Muses, believing that technique alone will make him a good poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the performances of the inspired madman.”

Socrates

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

United States, North America

#9578 Jul 5, 2013
“I myself must also say I believe it is true that in the end humanitarianism will triumph; only I fear that at the same time the world will be one big hospital and each person will be the other person's humane keeper.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“maybe”

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#9579 Jul 5, 2013
"Awareness of Impermanence is encouraged, so that when it is coupled with our appreciation of the enormous potential of our human existence; it will give us a sense of urgency that we must use every precious moment."

The 14th Dalai Lama

so what the [email protected] am I doing here?

“maybe”

Level 6

Location hidden

#9580 Jul 5, 2013
X - meanie face - racey

Sam is Spam

“Colleges Search Engine ”

Level 8

Since: Mar 12

www.schoolanduniversity.com

#9581 Jul 6, 2013
I'm not a jealous person. I am just a girl that would love to punch every girl in the face that gives you a second look.

Level 8

#9582 Jul 6, 2013
Some people should consider having multiple Facebook accounts to go along with their multiple personalities.

Level 8

#9583 Jul 6, 2013
Stupidity is like art. Everyone can do it, but only the truly gifted are masters at it.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Orion's Belt

#9584 Jul 6, 2013
"Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like."

Will Smith

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Orion's Belt

#9585 Jul 6, 2013
"A stockbroker urged me to buy a stock that would triple its value every year. I told him,'At my age, I don't even buy green bananas."

Claude Pepper

“maybe”

Level 6

Location hidden

#9586 Jul 6, 2013
"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals."

Henry David Thoreau

“To love and be loved”

Level 8

right here, right now...

#9587 Jul 6, 2013
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest. Second, by imitation which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

“Still Waters Run Deep”

Level 6

Since: Sep 11

Waters Edge

#9588 Jul 6, 2013
"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable."

Bruce Lee

“..clinton or trump..who wins?”

...it doesn't matter for us...

#9589 Jul 6, 2013
"There is no such thing as a person that nothing has happened to, and each person's story is as different as his fingertips."

Elsa Lanchester

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 2 min Bezeer 13,206
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 3 min Bezeer 81,785
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 5 min Spotted Girl 2,315
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 11 min The Breeze 190,695
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 23 min Princess Hey 11,214
Post any FOUR words 44 min Ferrerman 759
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 45 min syamsu 197,219
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Denny CranesPlace 56,016
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 1 hr streetglidehoney 6,016
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 2 hr Princess Hey 144,714