Kathmandu, Nepal

#9552 Jul 3, 2013
miracle is another name for hard work

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#9553 Jul 3, 2013
"The only use of an obstacle is to be overcome. All that an obstacle does with brave men is, not to frighten them, but to challenge them."

Woodrow Wilson

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#9556 Jul 3, 2013
"Try to have as diverse group of friends as possible and don't get into the the clique scenario."

Andrew Shue

"The most important thing to a lot of people, is to belong to something that's hip or whatever. To be a part of something that's not society, just a clique."

Ric Ocasek

“..she was the ONLY person..”

Since: Jun 08

...Trump could have beat.....

#9557 Jul 3, 2013
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf - it's almost a law."

H. G. Wells

“Hippie Witch”

Level 6

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#9558 Jul 4, 2013
The essence of love and compassion is understanding, the ability to recognize the physical, material, and psychological suffering of others, to put ourselves "inside the skin" of the other. We "go inside" their body, feelings, and mental formations, and witness for ourselves their suffering. Shallow observation as an outsider is not enough to see their suffering. We must become one with the subject of our observation. When we are in contact with another's suffering, a feeling of compassion is born in us. Compassion means, literally, "to suffer with." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Orion's Belt

#9559 Jul 4, 2013
"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."

Mother Teresa

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Orion's Belt

#9560 Jul 4, 2013
"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering."

Saint Augustine

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#9561 Jul 4, 2013
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

“From The Desert To The Sea”

Level 7

Since: Sep 09

To All Across The Lands

#9562 Jul 4, 2013
“Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty.”

John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Level 7

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#9563 Jul 4, 2013
"Live and Learn-and maybe you'll live and learn!"-
(my second flight instructor)

“..she was the ONLY person..”

Since: Jun 08

...Trump could have beat.....

#9564 Jul 4, 2013
"There are old pilots...and there are bold pilots.....but there are no old, bold pilots....."

from the bulletin board of almost every FBO i ever visited

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#9565 Jul 4, 2013
Old Sam wrote:
"If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission."
Rear Adm Grace Murray Hopper
This needs qualifying big time.

1) You know what you are doing.
2) You're pretty sure it will work.
3) It works.
3.A) Your fingerprints aren't on the audit logs if unexpected solar flares interfere with the success.

Otherwise, don't be surprised when the Spanish Inquisition "requests" your attendance at the Crisis meeting. For this is how the Masters of Business earn their bonuses.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#9566 Jul 4, 2013
"No! Do not tempt me! I would wish to turn it to good, and it cannot be used so! Meaning to be kind, I would become as terrible as the Dark Lord himself. Do not tempt me!"
Gandalf
(upon being freely offered the ultimate power of the One Ring)

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Orion's Belt

#9567 Jul 5, 2013
"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Winston Churchill

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Orion's Belt

#9568 Jul 5, 2013
"Dogs never bite me - just humans."

Marilyn Monroe

“Hippie Witch”

Level 6

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#9569 Jul 5, 2013
The universal Law of Attraction states that we draw to us those people, events, and circumstances that match our inner state of being. In other words, we attract experiences that are consistent with our beliefs. If we believe that there is plenty of love in the world and we are worthy of giving and receiving that love, we will attract a different quality of relationships than someone who believes in scarcity or feels unworthy of happiness. If we believe the world is a loving and friendly place, then most of the time that will be our experience. If we believe the world is a chaotic, stressful, and fearful place, then eventually that will become our reality. So, believing and knowing that your soulmate is out there is a critical first step in the formula for manifesting him or her into your life. ~ Arielle Ford

Level 8

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#9570 Jul 5, 2013
"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."

-Harriet Tubman

“Got'em figured out?”

Since: Nov 09

Think again

#9571 Jul 5, 2013
In about two minutes in its entirety, 4 months shy of 7 score and 10 years ago:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln at the Consecration of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg, 19th November 1863

“Got'em figured out?”

Since: Nov 09

Think again

#9572 Jul 5, 2013
Five score years later:

Beginning --
Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon of hope to millions of slaves, who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity. But one hundred years later, the colored America is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of the colored American is still sadly crippled by the manacle of segregation and the chains of discrimination.....

ending --
When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every tenement and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old spiritual, "Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."

Martin Luther King at the Lincoln Memorial [March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom], August 28, 1963

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Orion's Belt

#9573 Jul 5, 2013
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

Mark Twain

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min wichita-rick 230,154
* Things You Don't Want To See * 22 min greymouser 59
7 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 27 min Sweet City Woman 1,912
2words into 2new words (May '12) 1 hr Sweet City Woman 9,393
#Things You DON'T Want To Hear# (Aug '17) 1 hr greymouser 748
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 2 hr greymouser 6,235
what bothers you the most (Jun '13) 2 hr greymouser 841